Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Nice update. One bug I've found. If you accidentally tap on the button in the bottom right to go to the next hole, and then do a back gesture, I'd expect it to go back to the hole you were on. Instead it advanced to the next hole and you get a message of NaN under through 1.

Also, for those who are luckier and/or better than I am, you might want to add more options to the score menu for hole-in-one (which I suppose would be marked as an eagle, but still) and double eagle. For those who are about as bad as I am, you might want to add more strokes in there too, up to double par. Maybe instead of the way it is now, sort of a keypad with buttons for 1-10? Just an idea.

That, and I know scorecard support is very preliminary right now, but some sort of score overview after the last hole would be great.
    Thanks for letting me know - just made a quick fix to that and posted up version 0.3.3 to the homebrew apps area
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I just added my first course and it works fantastic!! I actually finished a course that someone else already started, and a day later, it showed up on the GolfPinFinder list! Success!! I'm playing a course tomorrow that's not in there, so I'm trying to add it real quick!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    If you add a course and need it to show right away I can get that accelerated so just let me know
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    If you add a course and need it to show right away I can get that accelerated so just let me know
    Moserjj;

This looks like an excellent app. Is there an instruction manual for mapping a course that would allow me to map out a course I usually play??

Thanks
    Cagster
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Cagster - did you go to the bbgpsgolf.com website and just try it? It's not hard, doesn't require a manual...
    Cagster - did you go to the bbgpsgolf.com website and just try it? It's not hard, doesn't require a manual...
    Thanks for the reply and your right, not all that hard at all. I will take this time to say excellent job on the app, which I had your talents.

If I can add a wish, it would be nice to have a separate page to score up to 5 players as some courses to allow fivesomes. But to be honest with you I am very happy with what you already done.

Thanks again for the great App.

Cagster
    Moserjj,
    I've been using the app for the last few rounds and am loving it. A couple questions though:

1. I see you've added the scoring screen that automatically comes up after each hole. But it doesn't seem to link to anything else. So there's no way to get your total score at the end of the round. Is this correct? Mabye i'm missing something. If not, I'm sure this is something still under development. Would've been good to know before using a full round then finding out I have no record for that round.

2. Seems like I remember you mentioning enabling the gps to stay on even when screen is off. This would be really great, especially if there was an option for both. I say this because while the auto off when screen is off is great for battery life, it makes the app quite difficult to use when trying to keep up the pace of play on a crowded course and you're being kinda rushed. I find myself just having to keep touching the screen to keep it on so I don't have to wait for it to find me and then settle. Battery be damned!

Just a couple thing from using the app a little. Again, the gps precision is really surprising, and the UI makes it super easy to use. I hope you're still working to make it even better. One more thing, are you collaborating w/DaveinFl to integrate his scoring app into yours. Might would help in easing your workload responsibility and together would give any high dollar commercial app a real run for its money.
    If your pressed for time, and trying to map a course, You don't have to mark the tee boxes perfectly
    The first mark is for the tee box, but sometimes its hard to see them well on GoogleMaps. The app is gonna give you the distance from the hole either way so where you mark the tee box doesn't really matter unless you're tryng to measure your drives on a crooked hole. So all you HAVE to do is make sure the front, center, and back of the green is marked correctly and the course will be usable and accurate.

That said, if you do this, please go back to this course when you have the time and map it thoroughly (bunkers, water, oob, etc). Bring the scorecard home with you so you can fill in the hole difficulty and make sure the par is correct (3,4,5).

I mapped an entire course from start to finish in about 15 minutes just marking the Greens precisely and putting the tees in an "about right" location. Granted it was a course I am quite familiar with, but still it doesn't take long.

ĢIf I'm overlooking something that makes this a bad idea, please let me know, but it seems to work just fine in a pinch for timeģ
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstardjal View Post
    If your pressed for time, and trying to map a course, You don't have to mark the tee boxes perfectly
    The first mark is for the tee box, but sometimes its hard to see them well on GoogleMaps. The app is gonna give you the distance from the hole either way so where you mark the tee box doesn't really matter unless you're tryng to measure your drives on a crooked hole. So all you HAVE to do is make sure the front, center, and back of the green is marked correctly and the course will be usable and accurate.
    I mapped 2 courses and the tees were the hardest to see. I knew about where they were and looked up the course online for 1 and had a score card for the other and was able to get them pretty close (I think) using the official yardages to center of the green. I guessed for the first click then went back after marking the greens and moved the tee marker till it was within a few yards of what the score card says.

Next time I play those courses I'm gonna take notes of what else needs to be marked. There were a couple doglegs where I marked the perfect spot to setup your second shot.
    does anyone do the actual hole by hole distances if you only do the first part of adding a course?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    does anyone do the actual hole by hole distances if you only do the first part of adding a course?
    You need to walk through the website and select the points yourself. Nobody will do it for you but the good thing is that its easy to do and doesn't take long.
    i pretty much understand how to do it but the problem is i dont know which hole is 1-18 and any info about the course like par's for each hole. its not on their website.

i have a family golf outing on sunday and i want to get this working on the app.

think someone would be willing to help me?

the name of the course is "Geneva On The Lake Golf Course"

BBGPSGolf - A Free Golf GPS application for the BlackBerry smartphone

or if someone could find the info for the course, i will do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    i pretty much understand how to do it but the problem is i dont know which hole is 1-18 and any info about the course like par's for each hole. its not on their website.

i have a family golf outing on sunday and i want to get this working on the app.

think someone would be willing to help me?

the name of the course is "Geneva On The Lake Golf Course"

[url= - A Free Golf GPS application for the BlackBerry smartphone[/url]

or if someone could find the info for the course, i will do it.
    I sent you a pm of my impressions after looking at this course on gmaps. Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstardjal View Post
    1. I see you've added the scoring screen that automatically comes up after each hole. But it doesn't seem to link to anything else. So there's no way to get your total score at the end of the round. Is this correct? Mabye i'm missing something. If not, I'm sure this is something still under development. Would've been good to know before using a full round then finding out I have no record for that round.

2. Seems like I remember you mentioning enabling the gps to stay on even when screen is off. This would be really great, especially if there was an option for both. I say this because while the auto off when screen is off is great for battery life, it makes the app quite difficult to use when trying to keep up the pace of play on a crowded course and you're being kinda rushed. I find myself just having to keep touching the screen to keep it on so I don't have to wait for it to find me and then settle. Battery be damned!
    I just posted version 0.3.5 to the homebrew catalog. It includes a little better scoring including a summary after 9 and 18 holes that shows your score total and to par (issue #1 above). As far as issue #2, I haven't determined how to keep the screen on during play. From what I can tell, this is a Palm approved app only thing. If someone knows otherwise, please PM me. The code is there, it just doesn't work.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I read in another thread where one person is using the mytether app to keep the screen alive while using pandora. I just tested and it does indeed work. Just launch mytether and enable the "disable screen timer" switch. Don't turn off wifi connection or activate the tethering, just have the app running on a background card. The myther developer (Aonic) has found the switch to disable screen saver, maybe contact him for help in implementing that function in golfpinfinder.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Just installed the latest version, great job on the score keeper. Now I will never have more than a quadruple bogey, my game just got instantly better!

Regarding the screen saver issue, I wonder if the pre would make it 18 holes with the screen on the entire round. I seriously doubt it. I think finding a way to keep the gps active and the screen saver working as well is the way to go.

Great app!!!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    Just installed the latest version, great job on the score keeper. Now I will never have more than a quadruple bogey, my game just got instantly better!

Regarding the screen saver issue, I wonder if the pre would make it 18 holes with the screen on the entire round. I seriously doubt it. I think finding a way to keep the gps active and the screen saver working as well is the way to go.

Great app!!!
    Thanks! GPS on while screen is off would be ideal, hopefully Palm tells how to do that soon (or enables it if not possible now). I've worked out how to best use GolfPinFinder "quickly" by turning on the screen before I get to my ball so the GPS has time to hone in (it's why I added GPS accuracy reading to the bottom of the playing screen). I've had a couple questions about a score worse than a quad bogey (happens to me too) and the answer for now is to just make it up on the next hole. It's not ideal but until I tweak the scoring buttons, that'll have to do. Or just cheat and stop at quad bogey
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Or just cheat and stop at quad bogey
    That sounds like a winner to me!
    I've been noticing that the first hole always seems to be displayed as a par 3. If you enter a score, the app seems to enter the proper score (4 for a par on a par 4). I've tried this on 5 different courses in my area. Is anyone else seeing this?
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmader View Post
    I've been noticing that the first hole always seems to be displayed as a par 3. If you enter a score, the app seems to enter the proper score (4 for a par on a par 4). I've tried this on 5 different courses in my area. Is anyone else seeing this?
    I also see that. If you change the hole from 1 to 2 and then back to 1, the correct PAR value is displayed.
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast