Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    While I know about homebrew apps and am in the computer/IT field I figured I didn't need to spend time trying to set up homebrew apps on my phone. Then I decided to come over here and check out what was going on and I see this. I will be getting homebrew apps set up on my phone in the next day or two when I have time to mess with it. Why? Because of this amazing app. Thanks, moserjj
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    thank you! this is pretty cool. I'm going to have to check it out sometime soon!!!!!!!!
    Used this app today. Worked great. Thank you.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I used this for the first time yesterday. It was totally unusable. Numbers were no where near accurate. Hundreds of yards off. I'm wondering about the course input stage of the process. Is there any checks and balances to ensure accuracy?

I am playing a different course saturday, hopefully will have better results.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    I used this for the first time yesterday. It was totally unusable. Numbers were no where near accurate. Hundreds of yards off. I'm wondering about the course input stage of the process. Is there any checks and balances to ensure accuracy?

That sucks. For a comparison, you could mark the same course using a slightly different name and see if that makes any difference. Or you can look at the markings online to see if they're good. The only time I see distances that far off is when the gps is warming up and hasn't honed in on my position yet. Do you have evdo signal there?
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    That sucks. For a comparison, you could mark the same course using a slightly different name and see if that makes any difference. Or you can look at the markings online to see if they're good. The only time I see distances that far off is when the gps is warming up and hasn't honed in on my position yet. Do you have evdo signal there?
    I'm pretty sure EVDO is available there. It is a course in a very populated area. I'm playing it again tomorrow so maybe I can map the course before then. I noticed that the forum at the apps web site is not very active. I was hoping some folks from my area with a bit more experience with mapping could help. Looks like a great app if the data is current. Looking forward to getting on a course that works!
    does google maps show you in the right spot on the course?
    Yes it seems like the map overlay is showing the right spot on the course...I tried to reset the pre also...any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post

I think it is quite possible some jackass mapped the course. When I began mapping the course I belong to it wasn't laid out properly. If I had started on the hole it was on I would have started from like hole 9 so every hole would have been way off. Maybe the person who mapped it didn't know WTF they were doing. Just a thought.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewzer View Post
    I think it is quite possible some jackass mapped the course. When I began mapping the course I belong to it wasn't laid out properly. If I had started on the hole it was on I would have started from like hole 9 so every hole would have been way off. Maybe the person who mapped it didn't know WTF they were doing. Just a thought.
    You could be right. I'm going to use the "Go to" app when I play the course tomorrow and set waypoints for tees and center of green, then come back and edit the course. I don't know this course well enough to fix it from the google maps but with the goto app, I think I can clean it up.
    I fially got to use the app, and lrt me tell you, it was pheno,inal. I mean spot on. My course was only completed to #9, so I went online and mapped it out. Gps takes about 10 seconds to hone in on location. After that, it is perfect.

Tip: it doesn't really matter where you mark the tee box, as long as you mark the green correctly. The course I played has changed a bit from the google maps view, but the greens are in same place. The app just shows your distance from the green, so you could be at #whatever tee box and its still gonna give you the right distance to the green of whatever hole your on in the app.

I would suggest you go to the website and map your course just to make sure it is correct. If you just mark the front back and center of the green, you could do it in 10 minutes easy.

Thanks moserjj, it really makes thi phone worth what I paid for it. you can expect a 2nd donation from me shortly. Please keep up the good work in refining this wonderful app.

Please everyone show your gratitude and DONATE so moserjj can keep working on this.
    i've downloaded the app. using filecoaster. i get the icon but when i go to search for a course or even search for a course near me, it never comes up the "busy wheel" just keeps rotating. help please i'm excited about the app and want a chance to use it
    I've gotten the same error today. You see. I successfuly maped my local course and noted the course popped up in my database seconds after completion (this was last week). Today when I played golf and searched for courses near me zero courses pulled up. I just kept getting the busy wheel. I was in EV coverage. Does anyone know if the entire golf course database was down today?
    First let me say that I don't have any idea how you guys create these kinds of programs, frankly I don't really care how you do so... BUT... I want you to know that I believe you guys are GENIUS...

I loaded this app to my Pre & it worked like a charm (with the previous version.) I loaded the newest version, and I've been experiencing the same issues of the "busy wheel" as the two previous posters.

I don't care how long it takes... because I will wait for the fix... and I'll be damned happy about it when it come through... (Did I mention that I think you creaters are freakin' GENIUS???)

Fix the bug... I'll download the new and improved version... and I'll be happy as Tiger Woods winning his 7th Bridgestone World Series of Golf...

If you're ever in Akron Ohio... & if you're ever in my e.d... I'll treat you for free & give you all the best meds... (maybe even some you don't need... but only dream about...) :-)
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Important update - some other devs around here are using the same data from bbgpsgolf.com for their apps. Recently, some fields were added to the API and its caused the whole thing not to work. I've asked them to temporarily remove the fields and then we can get the issue resolved and put the fields back in. I'm working to make sure nobody needs to update their GolfPinFinder app for it to work - it should just "fix itself". I expect we'll have this fixed today (and soon).

If you are a dev using this site, please run by me what you plan to have changed. That way all our apps won't break like this. I'm all for improving and another pair of eyes to the planned changes can't hurt anything.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I've gotten the same error today. You see. I successfuly maped my local course and noted the course popped up in my database seconds after completion (this was last week). Today when I played golf and searched for courses near me zero courses pulled up. I just kept getting the busy wheel. I was in EV coverage. Does anyone know if the entire golf course database was down today?
    A problem has been identified and a fix is in progress. Hopefully today! I went to play last night and it wouldn't load for me either - i wasn't a happy camper!
    Updated thread title to no longer show version number here.

Download the latest version from the Homebrew Apps Gallery: GolfPinFinder

- Craig
    I was able to start the program today with no issues!!! Great work guys!!!
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Yeah sorry everyone about the issue with the data. That was my bad..
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Nice update. One bug I've found. If you accidentally tap on the button in the bottom right to go to the next hole, and then do a back gesture, I'd expect it to go back to the hole you were on. Instead it advanced to the next hole and you get a message of NaN under through 1.

Also, for those who are luckier and/or better than I am, you might want to add more options to the score menu for hole-in-one (which I suppose would be marked as an eagle, but still) and double eagle. For those who are about as bad as I am, you might want to add more strokes in there too, up to double par. Maybe instead of the way it is now, sort of a keypad with buttons for 1-10? Just an idea.

That, and I know scorecard support is very preliminary right now, but some sort of score overview after the last hole would be great.