Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031 LastLast
    When you save a course, does it save all of the data / pars / GPS points? Or does it just save the name of the course in a sort of "frequently used" list? I'm going on vacation with family later in the month and in the past we've generally played 18 holes so it might be useful and I'm thinking about getting it.

However, I know I won't get phone service or have Wifi out on the course. I already am using the method to enable standalone GPS so that my GPS will work when in airplane mode.

I tried the demo of the other app, and it definitely works when in airplane mode, but I prefer the look and user interface of this application compared to the other. However, I already used my trial, so I'm not sure if it'll work in the offline manner I'd need before buying it. Anyone know?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    When you save a course, does it save all of the data / pars / GPS points? Or does it just save the name of the course in a sort of "frequently used" list? I'm going on vacation with family later in the month and in the past we've generally played 18 holes so it might be useful and I'm thinking about getting it.

However, I know I won't get phone service or have Wifi out on the course. I already am using the method to enable standalone GPS so that my GPS will work when in airplane mode.

I tried the demo of the other app, and it definitely works when in airplane mode, but I prefer the look and user interface of this application compared to the other. However, I already used my trial, so I'm not sure if it'll work in the offline manner I'd need. Anyone know?
    All the course data is saved, not just the course list so you're good to go. once saved to your phone, no data connection is necessary to play that course. The only time you'd need to get new course data is if you updated it online (marked more points, fix errors, etc) - and you have the option to update from the saved courses menu
    Pardon my ignorance but, what is the "auto advance" feature in the scoring preferences?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    GolfPinFinder (0.9.6) and GolfPinFinder Demo (0.9.5) was update on 2/6/2010 and the updates include:

1. Changed the header on the playing scene: a) removed standard header with course name in it (unnecessary) b) added "current hole" to header and removed hole int picker (function also copied to command menu icon of red flag with # sign) c) clicking flag icon launches hole selector d) added score summary for up to 4 players to show score during play (displays after starting the scoring of first played hole). This was done to maximize screen real estate on the playing screen to better accommodate Pixi resolution of 320x400

2. Added GPS accuracy to lower right corner of "green" image showing front/center/back distances - done to prevent scrolling to bottom of scene to see accuracy

3. Added "GPS signal is poor" indicator image to upper right corner of playing screen when GPS accuracy is above 20 yards/meters.

4. Fixed bug when editing a score from a previous round scorecard, would previously "hang" and not continue (although it correctly saved). Now goes back to scorecard view

5. Added options in preferences to show/hide parts of the screen to customize playing view (hide green yardages, etc)

6. Added ability to track skins for game play (with or without hole carry overs). Can be turned on/off in preferences, defaults to off

7. Added ability to track points for game play (generic system, can be turned on/off in preferences - defaults to off)

8. Added "add new" scene for adding a new golf course, accessed from the "Add New Course" from the main/first scene. Gives the URL to add from your computer or the option to continue adding from the Palm device. Also gives a few commonly asked tips.

9. Added "auto advance" feature to preferences - when enabled the playing scene will advance to the scoring screen OR the next hole if scoring disabled when within 20 yards of green center.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I have used GolfPinFinder for several months now. Due to the weather, I haven't played in a few months. Today I was able to get out and I was really disappointed in how poorly it performed. 50% time it was telling me "Poor GPS Signal" but is was sunny and no clouds in the sky. I was constantly trying to get it to update my yardages. I played with my brother who has an iPhone with GolfLogix installed and I was amazed at how quickly his phone picked up the yardage.
    I have the latest version installed. Am I missing a setting or step here? Last time I used this, it was not this bad. Please advise. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    any issues you have with gps have NOTHING to do with the app. It is the Pre. I have encountered similar problems before, rebooting the Pre almost always clears it up. I guess the gps receiver needs to be reset sometimes.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    any issues you have with gps have NOTHING to do with the app. It is the Pre. I have encountered similar problems before, rebooting the Pre almost always clears it up. I guess the gps receiver needs to be reset sometimes.
    Normally I would agree with this but I played at least 12 rounds of golf with the app last year and never had a problem. I even rebooted twice. Yesterday, it would take about 30 seconds to acquire a signal. I never had that problem before.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edwelly View Post
    Normally I would agree with this but I played at least 12 rounds of golf with the app last year and never had a problem. I even rebooted twice. Yesterday, it would take about 30 seconds to acquire a signal. I never had that problem before.
    Whatever is happening still must be an issue with the Pre's gps reciever. I don't see how the app coule cause that problem. It just reports what the Pre's hardware gives it. Maybe the developer will give you a better answer.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edwelly View Post
    I have used GolfPinFinder for several months now. Due to the weather, I haven't played in a few months. Today I was able to get out and I was really disappointed in how poorly it performed. 50% time it was telling me "Poor GPS Signal" but is was sunny and no clouds in the sky. I was constantly trying to get it to update my yardages. I played with my brother who has an iPhone with GolfLogix installed and I was amazed at how quickly his phone picked up the yardage.
    I have the latest version installed. Am I missing a setting or step here? Last time I used this, it was not this bad. Please advise. Thanks!
    As jk175d correctly stated, this is a problem with the GPS receiver in the device and not really the app's issue. GPF requires a much more accurate GPS signal than many apps using the GPS function so it may not be really clear there is an issue. What I typically recommend to those with problems getting a good GPS lock:

1. Reboot your phone. This works the majority of the time with no other changes.
    2. If rebooting doesn't work, try going into Location Services, click the app menu (upper left) and turn OFF "Use Google Services". I leave mine always set to Off, but sometimes toggling Off then back On seems to work too for some people.
    3. Open the phone app, type in ##477# and click "Get Fix" button. Record what the horizontal accuracy value is. If its high (greater than say 100 meters), try again until you can get a lower value.

If those things don't help, I would see your closest carrier store as you may have an issue with the GPS receiver in your device. It can take up to several minutes to acquire a GPS signal good enough for accurate yardages in GolfPinFinder.

Let me know if you can't get the GPS issue resolved.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    jk175d and moserjj - thank you both for you replies. I will do the above suggestions next time I play.
    Great App bought after trying all the demos. It stays within a couple of yards of buddies skycaddie, I am upgrading the battery on Pre though becuase 4 hour round kills it.

I would like to see this incorporated with oobgolf OOBgolf or have the same scoring features to track your handicap with. Also some rounds are not handicap rounds therefore the ability to chose if it is a handicap round or not.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvwvu View Post
    Great App bought after trying all the demos. It stays within a couple of yards of buddies skycaddie, I am upgrading the battery on Pre though becuase 4 hour round kills it.
    Good idea on the battery, I now play with the 1350mh battery and that seems fine for most rounds. Some have reported that turning on airplane mode also helps battery life, but I have not tried that for a full round yet.

I would like to see this incorporated with oobgolf OOBgolf or have the same scoring features to track your handicap with. Also some rounds are not handicap rounds therefore the ability to chose if it is a handicap round or not.
    Stay tuned....
    Just wanted to say I tried the free demo app outside and it picked up gps pretty fast- loaded a course close to me- and as I walked- yardages changed just like they should. I am going to try the free version at my course this weekend- if I like- I will def. drop the 10 bucks for the paid version.
    Impressed with the program so far- I will post my full review after using. well done!!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    For any golfers who haven't tried GolfPinFinder, check out a review of the app done by webOSroundup

GolfPinFinder Review
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Notice for non-USA GolfPinFinder users: Since GolfPinFinder is now available internationally, the extended trial periods for users outside the USA will end on Sunday, April 4th.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    GolfPinFinder (Paid and Demo versions) data backup is now available via the great Save/Restore app from the gurus at WebOS Internals.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2321414
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    GolfPinFinder has been updated to v1.0.0 (v.1.0.1 for the Demo) in the Palm app catalog. The full change log is available at GolfPinFinder Changelog
    I would like to second this request. Once I'm able to download paid apps this will be the very first one.
    How does it work for 18 holes rounds on a 9 hole course. Do you need to say you're playing two rounds or does the course need to be added as a 18 holes round to bbgpsgolf?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torpedojager View Post
    How does it work for 18 holes rounds on a 9 hole course. Do you need to say you're playing two rounds or does the course need to be added as a 18 holes round to bbgpsgolf?
    It would work best to do 2 separate 9 hole rounds at this time