Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 608
  1. #481  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trujimik View Post
    I downloaded golfpinfinder when it came out on the app catalog. I used it from my office and it worked great to any of the local courses. I finally had a chance to use it on the golf couse yesterday but i kept getting an error msg...stating GPS General error. I thought it might be because it was pretty cloudy. so I rebooted my phone several times ..kept getting msg. Today it is sunny and now I get the error msg everytime I try to use program. I tried removing program from my phone rebooting and re installing it . but i keep getting the error msg. I wonder if the developer is getting similar responses and if there is a fix? I really want to use it.
    I found the trouble I was having in golfpinfinder with the error msg....!!!!
    I was exploring in the location services and went to ....Preferences...Locate me using...
    and i found that google sevice was checked but not GPS.. I checked GPS and low and behold i'm not getting the error....Cant wait to use it on the course finally!
  2. #482  
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    I am the developer - I haven't had any reports of that issue. If you are seeing that error, something is wrong that isn't allowing GolfPinFinder to acquire a GPS fix from your phone - it's not really an app problem. Sounds like you've already rebooted which is good so try this:

    1. open phone app
    2. type in ##477#
    3. click "Get Fix" button
    4. report back to me what it says, specifically interested in the Vertical Accuracy number

    Let me know what you find out.
    I found the trouble I was having in golfpinfinder with the error msg....!!!!
    I was exploring in the location services and went to ....Preferences...Locate me using...
    and i found that google sevice was checked but not GPS.. I checked GPS and low and behold i'm not getting the error....Cant wait to use it on the course finally! Also Thank you for your response.
    Last edited by Trujimik; 10/06/2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: unfinished
  3. #483  
    This app is definitely worth $10. I know people who have spent $400-500 on a rangefinder that does not allow for scorekeeping or most of what this program allows. I prefer this app to a rangefinder as I am usually behind a line of trees or in a completely different fairway and can not typically see the pin.
  4. #484  
    Moserjj, I had been trying out your application for the last week or so and when I saw it was up for sale, I immediately bought it.

    1) When will the version be up in the App store that saves club changes?

    2) Could you better define what the options do differently when you go to mark current position?

    3) Have you considered adding code so that gameplay would work like this:
    Start a given hole, press the Mark icon. Offer the user the option to update the Tee GPS location to their current loc. (configurable) User hits their Tee shot and moves to the new ball location. User hits the Mark icon. Ask the user what club was used and allow it to update the average for that club in the club database or optionally replace the min and max values. (Configurable of course) Allow this to be skipped in case of a bad shot of course. This seems to me like it would make this the perfect app if it would accumulate real world shot lengths for each club!

    BTW, if you have the eval version installed and install the retail version, you end up with both in your Pre. It would be really nice if the retail version would pick up any settings/courses/score history from the trial version and just replace it.

    Great app btw. I was very close to installing Classic and getting an older Palm OS app for this very use and then I saw your app a few days later. I can't wait to see what you add to it.
    Last edited by Gary Martin; 10/06/2009 at 06:31 PM.
  5. moserjj's Avatar
    Posts
    468 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
       #485  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Martin View Post
    Moserjj, I had been trying out your application for the last week or so and when I saw it was up for sale, I immediately bought it.

    1) When will the version be up in the App store that saves club changes?

    2) Could you better define what the options do differently when you go to mark current position?

    3) Have you considered adding code so that gameplay would work like this:
    Start a given hole, press the Mark icon. Offer the user the option to update the Tee GPS location to their current loc. (configurable) User hits their Tee shot and moves to the new ball location. User hits the Mark icon. Ask the user what club was used and allow it to update the average for that club in the club database or optionally replace the min and max values. (Configurable of course) Allow this to be skipped in case of a bad shot of course. This seems to me like it would make this the perfect app if it would accumulate real world shot lengths for each club!

    BTW, if you have the eval version installed and install the retail version, you end up with both in your Pre. It would be really nice if the retail version would pick up any settings/courses/score history from the trial version and just replace it.

    Great app btw. I was very close to installing Classic and getting an older Palm OS app for this very use and then I saw your app a few days later. I can't wait to see what you add to it.
    Gary, thanks for your comments. Let me do my best to follow-up:

    1. A fixed update is being reviewed at Palm - shouldn't take long to get that update out. It's a rather simple fix but still needs to pass the Palm reviewers - hence the delay. If you've spent some time editing your club yardages only to find out they reset to defaults, they should come back with the updated version coming soon. I apologize for the goof but it was only discovered recently.

    2. Shot Mark options:
    a. clicking the mark button (middle bottom icon) initially marks your current spot and adds the shot marking distance to the scene below the green yardages
    b. clicking the button again presents 3 options
    1. close - doesn't do anything but close the prompt (back swipe works too)
    2. Clear and Reset - clears out the current shot distance and removes the shot distance yardage from the scene
    3. Clear and Remark - clears (zeros) the current shot distance and starts over - keeping the shot distance yardage in the scene

    3. I've had a few requests for this and will most likely add this in the future. For now, you can change your club distances manually (and the update coming soon will correctly display them...) but I think this is a nifty upgrade to this feature.

    4. Regarding the trial and paid being separate icons - that's the only way to do it currently with the Palm app catalog. I wish that wasn't the case, but what can you do. You can't "upgrade" a demo/trial app to a paid copy and retain the settings. A bummer for sure. Thanks for commenting on it though, I do let Palm know about it each time somebody says something to me regarding that (cuz I think its clunky now).

    5. (My bonus) There is a FREE update planned for 1-2 months after the paid version was initially released (Mon 10/5/09) that includes game point tracking, skins game tracking, severe weather alert checking and some other cool stuff. I've been playing with that version for some time - and it's a nice upgrade. Anybody purchasing now will automatically get it - so don't let that hold you back!
  6. #486  
    Is there a way to save and keep the club data? I tried a couple of times and it seems that the data defaults to original distances and clubs in bag.
    also is there a manual for the program.?
  7. moserjj's Avatar
    Posts
    468 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
       #487  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trujimik View Post
    Is there a way to save and keep the club data? I tried a couple of times and it seems that the data defaults to original distances and clubs in bag.
    also is there a manual for the program.?
    saving club distances has a bug, it will be fixed in the next update through the app catalog which will be available very soon. you're saved yardages are there so they will be available when the free update is released.

    there isn't a manual (yet) but I'm happy to help answer any questions. I tried to include many common questions in the help FAQ and will continue to update that with questions and answers.
  8. #488  
    I sometimes get a nonsense reading like 3460 or 1310 yards I sometimes swipe all over the screen to get proper yardage. Is there a spot on the screen to get back to the proper yardage?
  9. #489  
    I've had the demo app almost since development began but due to lack of opportunity (kids, work, yada, yada, yada) I've been unable to use this app. Well I played in a best ball tourney yesterday and I have to tell you, the app performed marvelously!!

    Everyone in my foursome were impressed at the accuracy of the app and by the end of the round, we were all asking for the yardage prior to every shot. Also, I caught one with the driver and I knew that it was crushed but to get the validation from marking the shot and the drive actually measuring out, ARE YOU READY, 301 YARDS. Talk about being stoked and then getting the validation of the yardage was icing on the cake.

    Great product MOSERJ!! i will definitely be buying the app. One unfortunate thing was my phone died 2 shots from the end of the round but I will figure out how to maximize my battery life (turn off bluetooth, wifi, etc.) and see what I can do to tweak the performance. Thanks again!!
  10. #490  
    moserjj,
    No doubt this is a great app...and it's come a long ways since it was first available as a homebrew. However, correct me if I'm wrong, it currently still relies on the database of courses through BBGPSGOLF? So what happens if the guy(s) who manage that database decide to restrict it's availability? Or it goes away for whatever reason? Is there a contingency for GolfPinFInder to still work if the BBGPSGOLF database was not available?
  11. moserjj's Avatar
    Posts
    468 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
       #491  
    Quote Originally Posted by bjpalank View Post
    I sometimes get a nonsense reading like 3460 or 1310 yards I sometimes swipe all over the screen to get proper yardage. Is there a spot on the screen to get back to the proper yardage?
    I think you just need to wait for the GPS accuracy to settle down. Clicking on the screen doesn't do anything regarding the yardages. Watch the GPS accuracy at the bottom of the screen and wait for a good reading. Can take 10-60 seconds sometimes
  12. moserjj's Avatar
    Posts
    468 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
       #492  
    Quote Originally Posted by myen View Post
    moserjj,
    No doubt this is a great app...and it's come a long ways since it was first available as a homebrew. However, correct me if I'm wrong, it currently still relies on the database of courses through BBGPSGOLF? So what happens if the guy(s) who manage that database decide to restrict it's availability? Or it goes away for whatever reason? Is there a contingency for GolfPinFInder to still work if the BBGPSGOLF database was not available?
    Yes, there is a contingency. I've also made arrangements to provide assistance to BBGPSGOLF in return for access.
  13. #493  
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    Yes, there is a contingency. I've also made arrangements to provide assistance to BBGPSGOLF in return for access.
    That's great...thanks for the reassurance.
  14. #494  
    Hi,

    The pre is about to be released here in the UK, and i have a couple of questions.

    1 - will this app work over here - ie, will UK courses be loaded or able to be uploaded onto it.
    2 - what will the cost be - is it just $10 at whatever rate it is if i were to buy it?

    my golf partner has the golfshot gps iphone app and its really good - better than the skycaddie dedicated versions at over 300 and it only cost him 17.99 - a comparable or cheaper price on the pre would be good - obviously!

    this is gonna be a crucial thing for me, cos if its not available, i will prob end up getting the iphone even tho i think this phone looks much better!

    thanks in advance!!
  15. moserjj's Avatar
    Posts
    468 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
       #495  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb174 View Post
    Hi,

    The pre is about to be released here in the UK, and i have a couple of questions.

    1 - will this app work over here - ie, will UK courses be loaded or able to be uploaded onto it.
    2 - what will the cost be - is it just $10 at whatever rate it is if i were to buy it?
    1A: Yes - GolfPinFinder will work great in UK and there are many courses already mapped over there but you can map any that aren't. You can check if your favorite courses are mapped at BBGPSGolf - A Free Golf GPS application for the BlackBerry smartphone

    2A: Cost is $9.95 (one time) but Palm hasn't made purchased apps available outside the US yet - and I'm not exactly sure when that might happen. I have worked with Palm to make GPF demo available right away there so you'll have something to use right away. If and when I get more info on when paid apps might hit the UK, i'll update this thread

    Thanks for your interest. Let me know if I can help you out with anything. I'm trying to make sure GPF demo is released ASAP and that it doesn't expire for UK folks before a paid version is available.
  16. jk175d's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    #496  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb174 View Post
    Hi,

    The pre is about to be released here in the UK, and i have a couple of questions.

    1 - will this app work over here - ie, will UK courses be loaded or able to be uploaded onto it.

    go to BBGPSGolf.com and select "only view courses in:" and pick United Kingdom from the drop down menu. There are a lot of courses listed there, though some haven't been finished yet. But it's very easy to plot a course as long as Google Maps has good satalite imagery for that area. It's actaully to me a HUGE benifit of apps that use the bbgpsgolf.com database over something like skycaddie. I LOVE being able to plot courses and edit the existing courses. If you know a course well then you know exactly where the most useful gps markers on any given hole will be. Before I play any course I go in and look over and edit the existing markers. I think many of the plottings were done in haste or by people who didn't really know the course and were just defaulting to what they could see on Google Maps.

    I'll say again, this is a killer app!!
  17. #497  
    I'd like to purchase the app., but don't really want to load my credit card info on the Palm Profile site. Is there another way to purchase the app.?


    Oh, also, I have the homebrew version that remembers my club distances - if I purchase/download the app., will I still be able to see my club distances?

    Thanks.
    Ken
  18. moserjj's Avatar
    Posts
    468 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
       #498  
    Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    I'd like to purchase the app., but don't really want to load my credit card info on the Palm Profile site. Is there another way to purchase the app.?


    Oh, also, I have the homebrew version that remembers my club distances - if I purchase/download the app., will I still be able to see my club distances?

    Thanks.
    Ken
    Per Palm's rules, there isn't another way to purchase the app (at least right now), sorry. An update to GPF is being run through Palm right now that fixes the club distances bug, should be released any day now.

    I have a call with Palm scheduled for today, i'll ask about purchasing options not through the app catalog
  19. #499  
    thanks for your responses - my course is in fact already loaded onto the bbgpsgolf site so it looks good!!

    looking forward to its release in the UK now!
  20. moserjj's Avatar
    Posts
    468 Posts
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
       #500  
    Quote Originally Posted by alexb174 View Post
    thanks for your responses - my course is in fact already loaded onto the bbgpsgolf site so it looks good!!

    looking forward to its release in the UK now!
    An update for non-US residents and the GolfPinFinder demo: I will be updating the app to allow for an "extended" trial period for users outside the US. The extension will last until paid apps are available - however long that might take. So if you're in the UK or any other country using a Pre, you'll be able to use the GolfPinFinder Demo as long as necessary until a purchase can be made in your country.

    It may not be available right away but I'm hoping to get it through Palm's process before the current 2 week trial would expire (you'd have to update this current version to the new update to extend your trial)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions