Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    I just mapped my course and used it the next day. I found the distances in a lot of cases to be way off which makes this app useless IMO. I would like to re due some of the waypoints to see if it helps. This would be a nice feature being able to edit a course that is already done. On another note, I can't read the other waypoints beside "to the middle of green" without my reading glasses (which I don't use on the golf course). A nice feature would be when you touch the waypoints they become enlarged so that you can read them without reading glasses.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abacotc View Post
    I just mapped my course and used it the next day. I found the distances in a lot of cases to be way off which makes this app useless IMO. I would like to re due some of the waypoints to see if it helps. This would be a nice feature being able to edit a course that is already done. On another note, I can't read the other waypoints beside "to the middle of green" without my reading glasses (which I don't use on the golf course). A nice feature would be when you touch the waypoints they become enlarged so that you can read them without reading glasses.
    What was your GPS accuracy displaying while you were playing the round? Did you map from the phone or online via the website? You can go and edit your points very easily at: BBGPSGolf - A Free Golf GPS application for the BlackBerry smartphone. Just search for your course and click on GPS information to view/edit it.
    I did it on an overcast rainy day. So I was in a hurry. I probably didn't let the device settle in. How do I get new waypoints now using my phone?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abacotc View Post
    I did it on an overcast rainy day. So I was in a hurry. I probably didn't let the device settle in. How do I get new waypoints now using my phone?
    You can't (yet) edit a course from the phone - you'll have to edit online. You could map it over but i'd suggest editing it instead. what is the course name?
    I take golf trips outside u.s. specifically cabo san lucas. Would be great to load the course before I leave and still be able to use gps while down there.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    BTW, mapped two more courses today. Bringing my total to 4. Great Work on the App.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    I take golf trips outside u.s. specifically cabo san lucas. Would be great to load the course before I leave and still be able to use gps while down there.
    The next update has this built-in - storing course data locally including the ability to update it if you update the marked points online. As well as some other goodies I'll keep a secret for now This app (at least the demo version...) could hit the app catalog very soon i hear!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    BTW, mapped two more courses today. Bringing my total to 4. Great Work on the App.
    4 courses - fantastic! Thanks to all of you who've mapped courses - keep up the great work!
    Moser, I just wanted to let you know I finally got to use your app two weekends ago. Anyone who doesn't rate this a 5 out of 5 is doing something wrong. It has been free up to this point and it works perfectly. It also keeps getting better.
    I played at a course that wasn't mapped. I went out and mapped it at BBGPSGOLF the night before I played. I couldn't believe how easy it was to map the course. When I used the device the next day I double checked accuracy against my Bushnell range finder and sprinkler heads. The most they differed was two yards. Keep up the good work and I will be buying the app when it is available. I also get to play tomorrow, so I will report back after that round.

Thanks again!!!
    I had trouble mapping Rocky Point- FL in Tampa, Florida via the phone so it failed on hole 2. I haven't had much success mapping courses online. Im playing the course sunday and would appreciate if anyone could edit the course and map it online for me. Some of you guys are much better mapping courses than myself.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could help me out.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I've been really loving this app. One strange issue I've noticed during a couple of rounds is that somewhere on the back 9 I realize that the GPS is about 10 or 15 yards off. The accuracy still shows about 3 yards, but I can tell that clearly the device thinks I'm about 10 yards from where I actually am. I suppose this is a Pre/GPS issue and not one with the app, but has anyone else noticed this happen ever?

It's easy to know when it happen because I can stand on the plaque on a par 3 or on a marked sprinkler head in the fairway and discover the discrepancy. I might play 15 holes and everything is fine then suddenly I see it's off (usually it does seem to be just by about 10 yards), once it's off, it seems to stay that way for the rest of the round.

I wonder if toggling the phone's gps on/off might fix the location? Haven't tried that... or rebooting.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    I've been really loving this app. One strange issue I've noticed during a couple of rounds is that somewhere on the back 9 I realize that the GPS is about 10 or 15 yards off. The accuracy still shows about 3 yards, but I can tell that clearly the device thinks I'm about 10 yards from where I actually am. I suppose this is a Pre/GPS issue and not one with the app, but has anyone else noticed this happen ever?

It's easy to know when it happen because I can stand on the plaque on a par 3 or on a marked sprinkler head in the fairway and discover the discrepancy. I might play 15 holes and everything is fine then suddenly I see it's off (usually it does seem to be just by about 10 yards), once it's off, it seems to stay that way for the rest of the round.

I wonder if toggling the phone's gps on/off might fix the location? Haven't tried that... or rebooting.
    was this perhaps around the 30% battery left mark? I've had some strange things happen when my phone hits that battery level - i don't know why and Palm didn't have an answer for me. When it happened to me, toggling the GPS did nothing. I rebooted the phone mid-round, resumed my round from the previous rounds screen, and all was good again. It was a little crazy to have to reboot like that but i didn't lose any data or really wasn't affected by it. I wasn't off 10 yards, I was off 1000 when it happened to me too. If your GPS accuracy maintains 3-4 yards, you might want to verify those marked points...
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    GolfPinFinder v0.9.2 has been uploaded to PreCentral. It is an upgrade even though the version number was lowered to satisfy Palm. You'll have to delete the current version to install this as it won't update because of the version numbers.

This version includes downloading and storing courses locally negating the need to have a data connection at the course - as well as some enhancements from the Palm UI/QA review processes.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    was this perhaps around the 30% battery left mark? I've had some strange things happen when my phone hits that battery level - i don't know why and Palm didn't have an answer for me. When it happened to me, toggling the GPS did nothing. I rebooted the phone mid-round, resumed my round from the previous rounds screen, and all was good again. It was a little crazy to have to reboot like that but i didn't lose any data or really wasn't affected by it. I wasn't off 10 yards, I was off 1000 when it happened to me too. If your GPS accuracy maintains 3-4 yards, you might want to verify those marked points...
    by late in the round the battery is definately low. Believe me, because it's happened in maybe three rounds so far I've definately double checked and verified the yardage discrepancy over several holes and different markers. And as I said, it's been only about 10 yards.

Once at the start of a round I couldn't get GPS to zero in closer that 1000 yards or so and rebooting did fix that right away. But this 10 yard issue is something different.

I'll try the new version and give it a whirl on Monday.

I've been adding and editing courses in the database like a madman.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    thanks to jasonmoore - he reminded me your trial apps are probably set to expire. I'm going to extend the trial to a month for this version and re-upload a changed app. So if you haven't updated yet, wait til later today. If you already updated, no problem as you will just need to delete/install. Deleting the app doesn't restart the trial days counter.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    i just updated v0.9.2 to a 4 week trial instead of 2 weeks. that should extend the app until available in the Palm app catalog
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    i just updated v0.9.2 to a 4 week trial instead of 2 weeks. that should extend the app until available in the Palm app catalog
    moserjj,
    I still have 23.5 loaded and using regularly. Can i download the new version 0.9.2 and keep 23.5?
    I don't think i would be able to save my previous round info if i delete old version and begin using new version.
    I know version 23.5 was due to expire on the 14th? Was this one of the versions that you extended the trial on?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    moserjj,
    I still have 23.5 loaded and using regularly. Can i download the new version 0.9.2 and keep 23.5?
    I don't think i would be able to save my previous round info if i delete old version and begin using new version.
    I know version 23.5 was due to expire on the 14th? Was this one of the versions that you extended the trial on?
    you can keep them both installed but 23.5 will quit working eventually. the update includes many fixes and improvments
    Humm... This new version (via Homebrew) isn't finding the courses near me. Google Maps has me pretty much nailed. Did something change with the GPS location code?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Humm... This new version (via Homebrew) isn't finding the courses near me. Google Maps has me pretty much nailed. Did something change with the GPS location code?
    Nope, not for some time. Can you search by name without a problem?