Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    @danieljd - playing a 9 hole course? If so there is no current fix but it has been fixed for the next update

Next version also tracks your score to par as you play like the previous versions - but for all players (shown on score entry page)
    Mine too was 9 holes and freezing.. Will wait for next update too..
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Seriously, this is a great app, I will be buying it when available in app store.

I played a round of 18 today with a course I mapped out, it started out great, but on about hole 6 my phone shut off, not sure what happened. So, I powered on, but had to start over since there is no save feature, and lost all scores up to that point.

I re-started keeping score on the back 9, and it worked great until I finished hole 17, when I hit finish, it skipped 18 and went right to the scorecard, which only had info for holes 10,11.

I used the back swipe, it took me to 17, then I manually picked hole 18 and played the hole, when I hit done on hole 18, it would never go to the scorecard, only kept reloading the hole 18 score view screen (where you input your score for the hole)

So at the end of my round, I ended up only having scores for 2 holes, I kept score on paper too so that's not a big deal, but I would like to have had the info without having to re-enter.

So, after my first round with this awesome app the only thing I could recommend adding or changing before going live, would be some type of save feature, in case of phone malfunction, and maybe a direct scorecard edit option. Otherwise it's a very mature/polished app, and with turning off gps while screen is off, I finished 18 in about 4.5 hours with 50% battery life left, not too bad considering the pre battery ain't the best.

Hope this info helps, and thanks again for your time you took to create this app!!

**Edit, nevermind, I see now that I could have resumed round by choosing previous rounds on the main screen. The hole 18 issue might also be because of the 9hole course issue that you are aware of already too.
    Last edited by slickpig; 09/05/2009 at 09:08 PM.
    Do you know when the next update may be available? I am not trying to hurry you but I am anxious to use the app again. I compared the yardages with my skycaddie and they are dead on. Needless to say I am selling it tomorrow.
    I also meant to ask, will there be a way to pick the which courses you will play on a 27 hole course? Maybe a way to add a course that you are in and then out to make 18 holes. Does that make sense?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Sort of - name a 27 hole course

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaNu1684 View Post
    I also meant to ask, will there be a way to pick the which courses you will play on a 27 hole course? Maybe a way to add a course that you are in and then out to make 18 holes. Does that make sense?
    Tiburon in Omaha, NE, there is the Great White Course, Mako Course, and Hammerhead Course.
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    Sort of - name a 27 hole course
    Western Turnpike Golf Course in Guilderland, NY.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    how is the 27 hole course mapped? As 3 nine hole courses? One 27 hole course?
    how is the 27 hole course mapped? As 3 nine hole courses? One 27 hole course?
    They mapped it as 3 nine holes. I played today but can't get into my scores due to the nine hole freeze bug
    They are mapped as 3 nine holes courses, and it freezes like the the other guy said.
    moserjj,
    I tried to use your app this weekend to map a course from the course. I had two issues.
    #1 The course i played in FL has a course with the same name in another state and it wouldn't let me enter the course. It said course was already in database, but its located in another state so i had to change the course name a little to make it work.
    #2 it let me map the first hole but couldn't map any holes after that. It kept telling me to choose hole. I chose the new hole and the new par value and it still would not accept the second hole.
    #3 when i mark the front, center and back of the green is there a way to confirm it got the coordinates when i hit the set button. They do turn green and it says hole saved and uploaded but i wasnt sure.
    I guess i will try to map in online now and see if that works
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    @alexlevy117 - thanks for the feedback. I had identified most of those marking app bugs and they've since been fixed for the next update. For the course name, thats just how it is using the data from BBGPSGOLF - only 1 course with the same unique name. I usually append a " - cityname" after the course to resolve that. when you're marking, the "green" background indicates the coordinates were captured. You'll see yellow while acquiring and red if there is a problem (this has been refined in the next update). If your gps accuracy is bad, the app will tell you
    Any chance of an option to use a stored copy of course data rather than always using the data from the website?

2 possible reasons..

1. Although the site is nice and open making adding new courses very easy, this same thing makes course data easily changed perhaps by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. A stored copy would ensure you data never got messed up.

2. Because the data is being retrived from the web, it sort of makes a data signal required to get started. I don't believe the GPS requires data access, but retriving the initial course data does (I would imagine). A stored copy would allow it's usage even if you are at a remote site with no data access.

also...
    I just read that GPS still works in AirpPlane mode. Once the data is loaded (or without signal if we could use stored course data), you should be able to switch to Airplane mode to conserve battery. I haven't tried yet, but it should dramatically cut down on battery usage.
    Last edited by roksmith67; 09/08/2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: new information
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    how much time did you spend on each hole? it's setup to keep the gps active for up to 15 minutes, resets when you move to the next hole. Did you take longer than that on a hole and see the slow GPS? The more detail you can provide on "how" you placed (what scene was active when you turned phone off, etc) the better i'll be able to understand what might have happened for you. The GPS on when screen off is sort of "hack" - its not really designed for this purpose although it does work. I think 15 minutes is the max you can set
    I think I was running into the 15 minute time limit. I played over the weekend and every thing seemed to work great.

Thanks.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riebs View Post
    I think I was running into the 15 minute time limit. I played over the weekend and every thing seemed to work great.

Thanks.
    perfect - thanks for the update!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roksmith67 View Post
    Any chance of an option to use a stored copy of course data rather than always using the data from the website?

2 possible reasons..

1. Although the site is nice and open making adding new courses very easy, this same thing makes course data easily changed perhaps by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. A stored copy would ensure you data never got messed up.

2. Because the data is being retrived from the web, it sort of makes a data signal required to get started. I don't believe the GPS requires data access, but retriving the initial course data does (I would imagine). A stored copy would allow it's usage even if you are at a remote site with no data access.

also...
    I just read that GPS still works in AirpPlane mode. Once the data is loaded (or without signal if we could use stored course data), you should be able to switch to Airplane mode to conserve battery. I haven't tried yet, but it should dramatically cut down on battery usage.
    I'll look into this, you would need a way to refresh the data (if you updated the course mapping, etc), potentially review the data before committing the changes to the saved copy, etc. It would be a nice feature though

As for the GPS in airplane mode, I'm not certain if any radios work in that mode including the GPS (although I've never tried myself). I'd be curious to know if anybody wants to try it though.
    Used the latest update yesterday, working great. Love this app.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Just uploaded a new version - 1.1.0 (14 day trial app as submitted to Palm). It fixes most of the things discussed here - most notably all the 9 hole course problems. This app DOES have a different app id as the currently installed version so technically you don't need to delete the app although I would to prevent confusion. You could leave them both installed without a problem - say if you need to copy over any settings, etc. As always, if GPF isn't available in the app catalog and this version expires, i'll find a way for you to keep using it until it is available...
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    I'm looking to spur all the fantastic supports of GolfPinFinder so far into mapping any courses around you that may not be added yet. If there is a course (or 2 or 3 or....) in your area that you can map - that would be great! I'd rather have someone tell me they mapped 5 new courses then donating some money - it only serves to make the app even better for all.

Add a course at: BBGPSGolf - A Free Golf GPS application for the BlackBerry smartphone

Look for unfinished courses: BBGPSGolf - A Free Golf GPS application for the BlackBerry smartphone

You might check to see if courses around you have been started but not finished - completing those is great too!

If all the courses around you are mapped and you still want to help out, I'd love to explore the area around Palm's hq (Sunnyvale, CA) and San Francisco for golf courses in need of mapping.

Thanks all for your help!