Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Here's is the first edition of my GeoCache locator. I am not an active "geocacher" (or whatever the term is), so any feedback and/or feature requests would be appreciated.

It's pretty simple. Fire up the app after installation, and click the button. You may optionally enter in the radius around your current location you would like to search. The app will automatically acquire your GPS position and open up the results from geocaching.com with nearby geocache locations.

I'm working on tighter integration with the website, including the ability to log in so you can filter out your finds.

I'll keep this updated as long as people are interested!

Attached is the ipk file and a screenshot!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Awesome! Seems to work pretty well so far. Thanks for the app.
    VERY interested, keep developing, and thanks!

EDIT: possibly integrate GPS into the app, make it an all in one geocache, app!
    Last edited by cdawg62184; 07/29/2009 at 03:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdawg62184 View Post
    ossibly integrate GPS into the app, make it an all in one geocache, app!
    That would definitely be cool. This is a great start, and got me to sign up and notice that there are caches near me... but it would be great to be able to use the GeoCache app to keep track of the ones I'm interested in finding, and to guide me to the actual location...
    Looks pretty cool. I have never got into geocacheing too much but I have always been interested. I am curious to see where you will take this. It might encourage me to start.
    Thanks! this is great!:-)
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Awesome app. If you and MarkPowers could get together and collaborate on an app, we would have an all in one geocaching app!!

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...1-go-tool.html
    yes, select the cache from the list and feed the coordinates to go to tool.

These apps look great!
    SWEET! There seems to be a few other developers working on geocaching apps as well. I think if you all put your stuff together you'd have a stand alone product. Can't wait to try this out. Thanks for working on this!
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    Awesome app. If you and MarkPowers could get together and collaborate on an app, we would have an all in one geocaching app!!

I agree! What we need is to replicate GeoNiche GeoNiche | RayDar LLC that was on the PalmOS. I even emailed the author of that asking him to make a Pre version. I never heard anything.

GeoNiche is a REALLY awesome program with all the features you would need. We basically need that program in a WebOS way.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Geoniche was by far the best geo app that I have used. If you follow in the footsteps of that program, we all will be pleased. It had everything...
    I've been waiting for this, thank you!
    Expanded thread title to add date posted.

- Craig
    Thanks for a great first cut. So we see the geocaching.com log on your splash page ... are you working under their auspices or doing it on your own? The reason I ask is because I though I heard there was an "official" geocaching.com WebOS app in the works.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post

x2
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jducey View Post
    Thanks for a great first cut. So we see the geocaching.com log on your splash page ... are you working under their auspices or doing it on your own? The reason I ask is because I though I heard there was an "official" geocaching.com WebOS app in the works.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Additionally, you might want to check out Groundspeak's restrictions in regards to logo usage

Geocaching > Logo Usage Guidelines

I've used this app a few times... very handy and appreciated!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Cbellevie: Thanks for the link and comments! I actually read into that page recently and have implemented changes to accommodate their requirements, and I should have the update done tomorrow. Thanks again for the heads up!
    What's the unit of the radius? Is it in miles, feet, or do we need to put in whatever unit we want to use? I used it in the default and it returned 54 pages of results, so I'm guessing that was miles but that's still more caches than I could find in one day,one month, probably even 1 year!!! I do like the app though and will use it again later this week. Thanks for your efforts so far.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    The unit is miles, I'll clarify that in the next update, coming soon!
    This has great potential. Any updates coming?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast