new version released

EDIT 9/27 (v0.8.1)
    - moved expiration date back to 11/1
    - new icon (delete old version to see)
  3.    #103  
    LightSword, formerly dkLightsaber, just added to the Palm App Catalog
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    With all due respect, why would you charge for something that's broken? I know .99 cents is not a lot, but there is no difference between the App Catalog version and the free Homebrew one. This makes me wonder the validity and quality assurance of Palm's app catalog.
    I appreciate your time and effort, I really do. But would you buy an already bitten apple?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroove View Post
    With all due respect, why would you charge for something that's broken? I know .99 cents is not a lot, but there is no difference between the App Catalog version and the free Homebrew one. This makes me wonder the validity and quality assurance of Palm's app catalog.
    I appreciate your time and effort, I really do. But would you buy an already bitten apple?
    +1

dk, I have seen a lot of your apps and used them. I have noticed that you charge for each of the apps you create (nothing wrong with that). The bad part is that ALL of the apps you have created and released into the Catalog are broken, unpolished, and it seems your motive is ONLY maximizing your profit and not honest work for your consumers and it will bite you in the *** with future apps (I think it already is).

My suggestion, ONLY when your app is clearly polished and "set" should you charge for the app. Otherwise, make it free and go to Mobile Advertising | Buy Ads | Monetize Traffic | AdMob and put ads on your applications. This will give you a profit (if you need one), will give you time to polish it, and will create a better name for yourself, which in turn will give you better credentials in your future works.

I have no idea how you're ignoring all of your negative reviews.

Also, an app like LightSaber should not have to be paid for since it is something you do in your leisurely time and is really not that enjoyable. It just has the "cool factor".
    Quote Originally Posted by Reign25 View Post
    +1

dk, I have seen a lot of your apps and used them. I have noticed that you charge for each of the apps you create (nothing wrong with that). The bad part is that ALL of the apps you have created and released into the Catalog are broken, unpolished, and it seems your motive is ONLY maximizing your profit and not honest work for your consumers and it will bite you in the *** with future apps (I think it already is).

My suggestion, ONLY when your app is clearly polished and "set" should you charge for the app. Otherwise, make it free and go to Mobile Advertising | Buy Ads | Monetize Traffic | AdMob and put ads on your applications. This will give you a profit (if you need one), will give you time to polish it, and will create a better name for yourself, which in turn will give you better credentials in your future works.

I have no idea how you're ignoring all of your negative reviews.

Also, an app like LightSaber should not have to be paid for since it is something you do in your leisurely time and is really not that enjoyable. It just has the "cool factor".
    +1

I will not be buying any dkapps now or in the future because of this. It's one thing for new software to have some bugs that need to be ironed out, but this app is broken beyond belief. I wouldn't even call it a beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    +1

I will not be buying any dkapps now or in the future because of this. It's one thing for new software to have some bugs that need to be ironed out, but this app is broken beyond belief. I wouldn't even call it a beta.
    if his android app is going to get better, then I might buy it
  8.    #108  
    Some people have been experiencing a delay in the sounds. This is a limitation of the hardware. Depending on what else you have running while using this app, your experience may be acceptable or somewhat laggy. This is just like trying to run Crysis PC Game on your machine while doing 20 other things. The hardware is a limit, and depending on what else is going on, you experience may be OK or not. I released this not asking for a fortune, but as a slight token to the time I spent on development. If advances are made to the media API or otherwise, I will gladly push out an update to improve the experience. But, in the meantime, I would not deem this app broken (esp not beyond belief). Please, sit back and enjoy this toy. Thanks.
    Take a look at the apple iphone version:

Ignites when you touch it on command with sound
    hums when idle
    senses when you swing and creates swinging hum noise
    sudden stops create clashing noise
    senses when you make a jabbing motion and plays a sound for that too
    on command you can return the blade with turn off noise

blade can be zoomed in or zoomed out to see entire sword with star background
    You can change the hilt and blade color to just about any color you want plus have a picture of whatever jedi or sith you want to be too
    and here's the best part....it plays about a 2 minute smooth loopable star wars battle theme score on command as well so you can sword fight and have music playing in the background.

For d0lph1nK1ng or anyone who is going to try and make a better version that's out there, you have to pretty much meet or beat the iphone version at this point. Do that and it would would be worth purchasing. It's a challenge, but would show who is actually a good webOS programmer and who is just a young Padawan!

If anyone is with me on this, say so! I read the comments in the app catalog, and we should all agree that the light saber, along with many other apps are a great idea, but let's see some heart and soul put into them. Then it would be worth the money if they charge us.

Come on people. Apple iphone has some kick *** apps from useless zippo lighters that are hella cool to play with to office paper toss to extreamly useful programs for work that are all well polished...What does Palm Pre have? A french dictionary, Reset button, and a broken lightsaber/lightsword........

..............................................................................!!

OK?! Let's go programmers! Let's see what you really got!
  10.    #110  
    this phone isn't the iPhone, if you want it so bad, get one
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d0lph1nK1ng View Post
    I don't believe he is suggesting he wants an iphone and I hate it when people say that. It's a cop-out. If you are going to develope something that is similar to what you find on another phone, you had best be prepaired to have it compared to it.

I know developing an app is not easy. I have dabbled in it a little myself in the past. I also feel developers deserve to be paid for thier hard work and time commitments. The issue I see here is that some of these apps are being released and should not be. Maybe it is a limitation of the hardware and maybe it is a limitation of the SDK but is that a good excuse to release something that doesn't function well and then charge people for it?

If you develope an app but have to use unofficial functions to make it work as intended, thats fabulous. If these unoffical functions must be removed in order to be approved for the app catalog than you either should not release it to the app catalog at all or release it, explain it is limited and give it up for free until Palm approves those previously unoffical functions so it can be properly released.

If you want to make money and not get a bad rep then either offer your apps asking for donations as homebrew or stick to official Palm functions and release apps to the catalog that are not half working crap.

Why would you even want to release something that is half broken?? Even if it was for the money, the bad reviews would kill that quickly so you wouldn't make much money from it anyway. I just don't get it.
    Last edited by dragbug; 11/02/2009 at 11:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d0lph1nK1ng View Post

Wow, this is the worst customer service I've seen in some time. Given your attitude, I'm going to say what everyone is thinking and not pull any punches. This app is garbage and I was shocked to see it in the App Catalog. I'm happy to see it is garnishing bad reviews, and I personally take this as an indicator of the quality of your products. ScreamIt made me scream and CoinFlip got flipped to the recycle bin. I will avoid all d0lph1nK1ng apps from here on out.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    This is a limitation of the hardware. Depending on what else you have running while using this app, your experience may be acceptable or somewhat laggy. This is just like trying to run Crysis PC Game on your machine while doing 20 other things.
    I can understand this, what I can't understand is why charge people for it when at best they will only get an acceptable response?
    For the record, the iPhone version (without any bugs) is free.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    No offense to anyone (in a personal fashion), but I generally avoid d0lph1nK1ng's apps. I have no personal interaction experience with him, but from reading his posts across this site since June he just isn't someone I would want to support.

The Crysis analogy makes no sense. They don't develop it for a specific machine that cannot (yet) support it. This app is for webOS, if the Palm Pre/Pixi cannot handle it well enough to provide a pleasant user experience then it shouldn't be released (at least not without a disclaimer saying it will likely run poorly at the present time). The response to concern over it certainly shouldn't be "it runs how it is able to run right now, too bad so sad. It's only 99 cents."

Edit: For what it's worth and to be clear, I have not purchased this app.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    I don't believe he is suggesting he wants an iphone and I hate it when people say that. It's a cop-out. If you are going to develope something that is similar to what you find on another phone, you had best be prepaired to have it compared to it.

I know developing an app is not easy. I have dabbled in it a little myself in the past. I also feel developers deserve to be paid for thier hard work and time commitments. The issue I see here is that some of these apps are being released and should not be. Maybe it is a limitation of the hardware and maybe it is a limitation of the SDK but is that a good excuse to release something that doesn't function well and then charge people for it?

If you develope an app but have to use unofficial functions to make it work as intended, thats fabulous. If these unoffical functions must be removed in order to be approved for the app catalog than you either should not release it to the app catalog at all or release it, explain it is limited and give it up for free until Palm approves those previously unoffical functions so it can be properly released.

If you want to make money and not get a bad rep then either offer your apps asking for donations as homebrew or stick to official Palm functions and release apps to the catalog that are not half working crap.

Why would you even want to release something that is half broken?? Even if it was for the money, the bad reviews would kill that quickly so you wouldn't make much money from it anyway. I just don't get it.
    what he said.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456