Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by russell1047 View Post
    So I'm having a problem figuring this out. If it has multiple atachments do i have to install them all?
    No, not at all. You can just install the latest one (v0.4.0). The others are up here for archival purposes.
    Looking good. Congrats on putting this together!
    Phenom-
    I'm digging some of the things in 0.4 (coming up from 0.2), but I have 2 requests:
    I kind of miss the old black bg - it had a sort of retro feel that the new gray background lacks. Could a "retro mode" be added? or some level of user-customization?
    Secondly, we need a way to hide the directional buttons. I like the idea of the touchpad controller, but if I'm not using it, I don't want it in my way.
    I think you're doing good things here. In addition to a fun time-waster for the dentist's office, you're doing good groundwork for later games. A year or two from now when pre development is in commercial full swing, a few of us will remember that one of the games that started it all was a diamond-thieving mouse.
    **EDIT: Ooh, and I forgot to say: my best so far is 13
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Would it be possible to navigate the on-screen controls without having to lift up your finger? Like the nav circle on live's map site - click once then drag to change directions. I think it'd be fluid and intuitive, and definitely awesome!

Great work overall, I'm very much enjoying this game. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I absolutely love how the mouse seems to wiggle around as he moves! That apparently is all it takes to amuse me
    Quote Originally Posted by Beestinga View Post
    Phenom-
    I'm digging some of the things in 0.4 (coming up from 0.2), but I have 2 requests:
    I kind of miss the old black bg - it had a sort of retro feel that the new gray background lacks. Could a "retro mode" be added? or some level of user-customization?
    Secondly, we need a way to hide the directional buttons. I like the idea of the touchpad controller, but if I'm not using it, I don't want it in my way.
    I think you're doing good things here. In addition to a fun time-waster for the dentist's office, you're doing good groundwork for later games. A year or two from now when pre development is in commercial full swing, a few of us will remember that one of the games that started it all was a diamond-thieving mouse.
    I agree with you 100%, and I'll like to add that using "WASD" or "ESFX" would be much easier to control, since the buttons will be close together, you can interchange fingers when going in certain directions; and it would make game play more quicker.
    Phenom-

For me, the old black background made it far easier to see the "lasers". I totally prefer that to be hoest.

A high score list would be really nice. I like it so far. I can see this getting more and more complex and more and more fun. Good job. Oh and to weigh in on the control scheme. It was kind of hard to get used to at first but it's a decent control scheme as is. When you have the time and inclination maybe you want to let the user select the keys he/she wants to use, but as it is now, I think it's fine.

Would also be good if the mouse blinked or changed colors or what not while "invincible" instead of the arrows giving the notification.
  7.    #47  
    Phenom-
    In version 0.5.0 I've darkened the background a tad, but I don't see myself making it standard black and only because the mouse's whiskers and the arrow's shadows disappear, and I like those touches. I will in, soon, be adding a way to change a few options and background colour will be one of them. Promise.

And thank you very much! This is the first application I've ever really developed, and the first in JavaScript (I've done a bit of C++ and this game actually originated in Python), so to hear you say that... wow. I'm floored. I never even thought of that - all I was thinking was "there HAS to be a way to get a swell interactive game on the Palm PRE" and set out to do that. Of course this definitely is only the beginning - for myself, and for others.

I can't wait to see the games that others have been cooking up and just not releasing! They're have to be some!

Quote Originally Posted by kambroso View Post
    Would it be possible to navigate the on-screen controls without having to lift up your finger? Like the nav circle on live's map site - click once then drag to change directions. I think it'd be fluid and intuitive, and definitely awesome!

Great work overall, I'm very much enjoying this game. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I absolutely love how the mouse seems to wiggle around as he moves! That apparently is all it takes to amuse me
    Haha no that wasn't intentional - I believe it's just the way our eyes work and how the game engine handles animation. Also, I do want to implement a joy-stick feature at some point. Once I get how to handle drags with this engine I will do so.

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanspork View Post
    For me, the old black background made it far easier to see the "lasers". I totally prefer that to be hoest.

A high score list would be really nice. I like it so far. I can see this getting more and more complex and more and more fun. Good job. Oh and to weigh in on the control scheme. It was kind of hard to get used to at first but it's a decent control scheme as is. When you have the time and inclination maybe you want to let the user select the keys he/she wants to use, but as it is now, I think it's fine.

Would also be good if the mouse blinked or changed colors or what not while "invincible" instead of the arrows giving the notification.
    I actually shall do that mouse-color change, especially since in version 0.5.0 you can get rid of the d-buttons. Also there will be soon a way to set options and which keys are used for movement will be one of those options.

Thanks for the feedback guys - I really appreciate it. Stay tuned for 0.5.0 (screenshot in main post)!
    I am not a fan of the grey background cause the "lasers" are so light... Also, the on-screen keys need to be bigger, I find i'm missing them if I really concentrate on the mouse. The keys on the screen can also be a glitch cause you can hide in them...

Hope I helped
    Its still 0.4.0 on the download link. Have you uploaded the new version yet? Thanks for the great app!
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgordonfan View Post
    Its still 0.4.0 on the download link. Have you uploaded the new version yet? Thanks for the great app!
    Firstly, you're welcome!

Secondly, yes it is now uploaded. I had to wait for the Homebrew App Gallery to be released to say so but you can now find MouseBurglar, currently version 0.5.0 here: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/mouseburglar .
    Hi again. Actually, this was the page I was referring to. The link is listed itself is listed as version 0.4.0. Maybe precentral didn't get it??? Idk.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

P.s. Don't change your 'opqa' controls. They are perfect and should become the standard for gaming on the pre!
  12.    #52  
    Ah - fixed that. Thanks for pointing it out.
    Phenom-
    I miss the portrait/keyboard control scheme.
    Any chance of adding functionality to switch back and forth? I prefer it to landscape with the soft keys.

Like I said, I think it's really cool that you're experimenting with different ui and control ideas. For future game devs, it'll really give them a leg up to see what's worked and what hasn't.
    Hey. Just tried 0.5.0. Two things I would change/add would be portrait mode (allowing the mouse to go more toawrds the top of the screen) and to have a 'safe' zone like you had with the arrows. Besides that great progress mate!
    Just realized when you get rid of the arrows you can go up higher. GOOD idea! This appeals to keyboard users (me) and touchscreen users. Also it seems like the increasing amount of lasers stop at one point. I got to 22 and the lasers were the same since 12 or so. Maybe speed them up? Anyways, you are doing a great job and this is obviously the BEST game on the pre so far!

Thanks again for all your effort!
  16.    #56  
    Phenom-
    I miss the portrait/keyboard control scheme.
    Any chance of adding functionality to switch back and forth? I prefer it to landscape with the soft keys.

Like I said, I think it's really cool that you're experimenting with different ui and control ideas. For future game devs, it'll really give them a leg up to see what's worked and what hasn't.
    Yes. I'm working on getting accelerometer support in so you can flip your phone about and play in any direction - landscape with on-screen controls or portrait with keyboard controls.

However you can still get that functionality currently - pressing 'C' on the keyboard will get rid of the onscreen controls and increase the playing field. You can then play in a pseudo-portrait mode by just holding your phone upright and using the keys. I've changed them so there isn't any apparent different in how you're moving. (IE if you look at the phone in portrait mode and press P you'll still move right.)

Also, pressing 'V' will return the onscreen controls and decrease the playing field size.

Just realized when you get rid of the arrows you can go up higher. GOOD idea! This appeals to keyboard users (me) and touchscreen users. Also it seems like the increasing amount of lasers stop at one point. I got to 22 and the lasers were the same since 12 or so. Maybe speed them up? Anyways, you are doing a great job and this is obviously the BEST game on the pre so far!

Thanks again for all your effort!
    That's a good idea. I kept the lasers at a max of 10, but increasing their speed is a good way of continuing to increase the difficulty without overloading the playing field.
    excellent work phenom.

Just had to poke my head in here to share 2 things:
    .http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...-08_091335.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 08/12/2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: edited to reduce display size only
    Nice beestinga! I got 22 too as stated above. Its on!
    Hows 0.6.0 coming along phenom?
  20.    #60  
    It's coming. Currently working out the kinks with storage and accelerometer support.
    Last edited by Phenom0420; 08/10/2009 at 10:32 PM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast