Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GQGeek81 View Post
    With 500 caches in the phone I was having trouble with the GPS. It appeared to be using the cell towers to get my location. I could pull up Google Maps and the blue dot was clearly a good block away from where I really was. I tried closing and reloading apps and turning the radios off and on (airplane more) to no avail. I didn't think to reboot the phone till we had given up and gone home. I have NO idea if this had anything to do with the number of waypoints I loaded or not. Just thought I mention it in case others are having the same problem.
    I thought that I was having problems as well with about 80 caches loaded - I could never get a GPS fix, and the spinner would spin and spin on the listing page. I rebooted the phone, and that didn't fix it. I then shut down the phone, removed the battery and put it back in, and booted, and magically things started working again. Dunno if it made any real difference or not, or if it was just a fluke. As far as Google maps triangulation, I don't think that it's right on some of the time, and it might be the area you were in. When I'm at work, Google Maps shows me about 2 blocks away from where I really am - consistently. If I get in the car and start driving around, it gets a better fix.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Is there a way to export the waypoints? Where are the location files stored?
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    As far as Google maps triangulation, I don't think that it's right on some of the time, and it might be the area you were in. When I'm at work, Google Maps shows me about 2 blocks away from where I really am - consistently. If I get in the car and start driving around, it gets a better fix.
    I haven't notice that unless I'm in a spot with poor reception. If I'm in my bedroom the blue dot jumps around what amounts to maybe 5 feet in real life but is never off by more than about 20.

The area I was having trouble in is in the middle of town so I think the signal would be great. I will be going back to the two caches we couldn't find and I'll see if it happens again.

All maps will be off due to the problems of flatting out a round surface and I imagine the satellite view has its own problems with so many different images stitched together. I haven't been able to find any documentation on how accurate say a lat/lon on spot in the image in Google Earth matches to what you can get with a high end GPS though.

We use Maps and Earth at work to settle claims on deliveries so I get a lot of practice. As far as I can tell Maps and Earth always agree with each other exactly. Since I can easily see the lat/lon for a cursor location on Earth I mean to find a few spots around the neighborhood and see how close my Pre matches.

Does anyone know how accurate the GPS chip in the Pre is suppose to be?

On a side note.... does anyone know of a nice breakdown of how accurate a coordinate in decimal degrees is per number of decimal places? I'm looking for something that explains that a 6 digit number is accurate to X amount of distance and a 10 digit number is accurate to feet/inches whatever in eventually gets down to.
    nice looking app. i think it would benefit from a more photo-realistic looking compass.
    What exactly is "Go To Tool Lite"? I've read the description, and it seems like the latest update, so can I now delete the "Go To Tool" from my Pre?

I just want to make sure I'm clear on this... Thank you!
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by summer smile View Post
    What exactly is "Go To Tool Lite"? I've read the description, and it seems like the latest update, so can I now delete the "Go To Tool" from my Pre?

I just want to make sure I'm clear on this... Thank you!
    Go To Tool Lite is the latest and greatest free version of the app. You can delete the older version of the app.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I just installed the latest 0.5.0 Go To Lite tool and deleted Go To. The import from GeoCache.com worked great, however the tool has stopped working. It gets its initial fix and then just freezes on the same info. Once in a while it will come back for a quick reading and then freezes again. At first I thought Maybe just a reboot would fix it, but it was no help.
  8.    #108  
    The list will get bogged down if you have too many caches in the list and continuous sorting toggled on. Toggle the sort off if you have a lot of caches in the list.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I only had six in the list. No problems at all with the list, just the GPS screen. Everything else seemed to work normally.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Is there a download link to the previous version? I would like to try it to see if I have the same issue.
    I'm still using 0.4.1

I went back to the areas I had previous problems. The GPS locked on the same spot a few blocks away but a reset fixed this. I've since been back a third time with no problems. I'm starting to wonder if I should just reset after importing the GPX files.

I ran a few pocket queries and got down to just 100 of the closest caches. The sort runs much much smoother at this point. Don't think I'll be keeping more than this many from now on.
    It appears that when you delete the caches it deletes the whole GPX file. It would be nice if it didn't do this but just purged the caches from Go To.
    That way I could have a GPX file of a 100 caches for a few different towns and switch between them at will.

I'd love a compass lock button so it doesn't spin while trying to adjust for my bearing. I find myself triangulating by standing still at a few spots around the cache. It gets annoying having to twist the phone around to align north up.

More to the point I'd love to be able to see both my bearing as I move and the bearing of the waypoint from my location as a number not a graphic on occasion.

An averaging feature would be nice as well for determining locations of new caches and possibly for poor reception areas.

I keep reading that with a traditional GPS, its more accurage if you hold it so the antenna is vertical. Does anyone know if this applies to the Pre and if so what the best way to hold it is?

All in all, I'm loving this App. Look forward to seeing how it develops
  12.    #112  
    The gpx file remains on the media partition. You can have several and import just the one you want to work with. Then delete and re-import another. You can also have a 500 cache gpx and limit the import to fewer caches. I am fleshing out ways to improve the number of waypoints available in the list.

0.5.0 allows sort in list view to be toggled on and off. This way if you're out and about you can watch list view to see when you're approaching a cache.

If you are having trouble with a consistent bearing as you approach the waypoint you can tap the Sat button and use the visuals to home in... Watch the blue dot approach the red waypoint.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I could not get the import function to work for the files I have. i can choose it through the import menu but when I hit import it says FOUND 0 ITEMS TO IMPORT LIMITED TO 0 ITEMS FOR IMPORT. I tried to set the import limit to anything other than zero of course and it doesn't change.
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by rooofey View Post
    I could not get the import function to work for the files I have. i can choose it through the import menu but when I hit import it says FOUND 0 ITEMS TO IMPORT LIMITED TO 0 ITEMS FOR IMPORT. I tried to set the import limit to anything other than zero of course and it doesn't change.
    Can you attach the file so I can check it out? Others have stated there is a different version of the gpx format. If I could see your example I could get it working.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I tried to upload the files but I don't think it worked. It said invalid file. I was looking a couple posts back and user pearl had a similar post about mountain bikers. http://www.bikerag.com/mountain bike trail reviews.htm

The file download is at that link. Would be awesome if this works. Thanks for the help.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Very nicely done and a lot of fun. I only played a little bit so forgive me if I missed this, but I see no feature to update the location of an already saved waypoint. It is useful in general, but it is critical for a waypoint like MyCar.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by crm17 View Post
    Very nicely done and a lot of fun. I only played a little bit so forgive me if I missed this, but I see no feature to update the location of an already saved waypoint. It is useful in general, but it is critical for a waypoint like MyCar.
    For now you can delete the old with a swipe and create a new one!
    Thank you for the work on this. I'm not really interested in geocaching, specifically. I'm looking for similar functionality. I live in a large city. I love to find new places to eat, new stores to shop at, etc, by looking at reviews on sites like Yelp when I'm at home at my PC. I could spend a whole Saturday driving around, however, my wife is the exact opposite. She wants to spend as little time in the car as possible.

So what I need is a simple way to get these new places I want to try, into my phone, and have the ability to list them in order of distance. This allows me to say, "Hey, I want to check this out and it's just around the block." whenever I want. This app seems perfect for that.

So far I've been storing my POIs in Google Maps. I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to get these into Go To. Right now I have a long list of steps, the only method I've found, to get pins from Google Maps into Go To:

Open my custom Google Map.
    Click "View in Google Earth".
    Open that kml file in WordPad
    Copy the URL, Replace all & with &
    Paste that into the browser's address bar.
    Open that kml file in Wordpad.
    Copy the entire thing.
    Go to TakItWithMe - TakItWithMe - Google MyMaps Converter
    Paste, convert, and download.

Go To will not import this. I've also tried:
    POI EDITOR - POI Converter KML to GPX
    with no luck.

Open GSAK. (GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife))
    Import my GPX file, purging previous data.
    Export a new GPX file. (Go To will read this)
    Copy to Pre via USB.
    Load in Go To.

Even this method is less than perfect. GSAK chops all the POI names down to 15 characters, often making them less than recognizable. However, this seems to get me roughly what I am looking for.

I don't need the process to be "easy" because I'd only be exporting this once a week, but it seems like there would be a smarter way for me to do this. I'm still thankful that I found this app because it does exactly what I need it to do. Thanks.
    I just started GeoCaching, Loved that there are apps in home brew, went out to find my first Cache and I couldn't find it. Now this could be me, it probally is, but I also get accuraccy of 30+ feet. Google Maps puts me at my location, haven't had a problem with it yet. I'm also in a major city, so I don't know if this is a good thing or not.

Just thought you should know.

Thanks for the app, I look forward to all the great updates.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Awesome app! Can't wait to see how you can possibly improve on it. Definite app catalog material!
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast