Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    I tried the older version yesterday by manually entering cache coordinates and was very impressed -an easy find. Just updated today and successfully loaded 2 .gpx files and fiddled with it a bit. Looks awesome so far -I'll try it 'in the field' here shortly.

One suggestion so far (without really using it yet): It is great to jump to the cache log page on geocaching.com, but it would be nice to have an option to do a textmark instead, or... some way to tweet (via Twitter) that you just found x cache (I have my textmarks set to tweet my cache finds and like to notify my followers when I find a cache). Alternatively, it would be good if this was optional, so I don't overload folks when I'm on a power run!

Cheers,
    Lisa
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Brand new geocacher- decided to play with this hobby before a camping trip with kids. Initially, gps was way off on the Pre- unsure why. At the closest cache to home the Pre gps just doesn't seem accurate.

Decided to give it a shot anyway on the camping trip this weekend. I have a 7 and a 10 year old, so patience is tough to come by. I brought my Pre (along with an extra charged battery) on our hike. Using your app we got within 20 feet of the first cache and found our very first! The next was a bit tougher as it was off the hiking trail a bit. Goto brought us within 8 ft of the cache and the kids found an awesome cache and their first geocoin!

Back at camp that evening we logged our finds and tracked the geocoin so we would know what to do with it. Both the Pre- and your app- made the weekend for us! Thanks a bunch!
    a few quick things...

can you set the gpx import to allow as many as 2000 caches? I'd like to at least try it. I do my Pocket Querries by date, not geogrpahy. I then us GSAK to make 2000 cache GPX files for my garmin Oregon.

Can you make a GPX export? that way if I mark waypoints on the phone, I can export them to another program/GPS.

can you make it save a tracklog and export it as a gpx?

how about a built in map screen that shows all waypoints/ tracks etc on a blank or google map background?

thanks
    It seems that I am too cheap to get the paid account at Geocaching.com. Is there a way that we can import the .loc files into the app.. That would be great. I need to just update to the premium at some point...
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    echo lilmexx323's request
    Doing a little trail and error on some converting software....

GSAK 7.6.0.51 will convert the .loc files to the .gpx files. You can just save all the loc file you want and them open them all up in GSAK and it will convert all of them into one gpx file to import. It works perfect... Just have to save all the loc files you want. This is similar to how I did it with easyniche on my Centro. But this method does work perfect...

The software is a free trial, and after it expires it is said to still work, just have a nag screen.. So it shouldn't be too big of a deal..

What would be nice is a way to mark the cache as found..... How are you all keeping track of found caches? In Geoniche, I could change the icon of the cache to a red flag, which was my found ones. I could then log them later when i got a chance and delete them off or just leave them to take up space...
    Last edited by lilmexx323; 08/19/2009 at 11:25 AM.
    A very nice feature that will attrack adventure racers (like me - who have bought the $400 garmins GPS's) would be the ability to enter and display the coordinates in UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator)
    I just realized that I can not import a standard GPX file. Geocaching gpx files import just fine, both pocket queries as well as gpx files from GSAK. However standard waypoint GPX files will not import.

these are the gpx files used by easy/expertgps, Gamin's mapsource, and more.

the official GPX schema is here:

GPX 1.1 Schema Documentation
    degrees minutes and seconds would be nice too, in addition to UTM, as well as the NAD27 ConUS datum.
    Hi - I don't have a Pre quite yet, but I'll be getting mine within the next couple of weeks. Based on what I' reading here, it seems like your application would be able to be enhanced to accommodate the following (maybe it already does? please clarify is so):

-Capture waypoints and load them into Google Earth application

I hunt in my in-laws' 100+ acre farm and it would be nice to:
    1. Walk the property line and load boundaries into my Google Earth application
    2. Waypoint hunting stands, feeders, game cameras, hiking trails, etc.

We would then be able to print poster size aerial maps of the property showing all of this info.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner View Post
    Brand new geocacher- decided to play with this hobby before a camping trip with kids. Initially, gps was way off on the Pre- unsure why. At the closest cache to home the Pre gps just doesn't seem accurate.

Decided to give it a shot anyway on the camping trip this weekend. I have a 7 and a 10 year old, so patience is tough to come by. I brought my Pre (along with an extra charged battery) on our hike. Using your app we got within 20 feet of the first cache and found our very first! The next was a bit tougher as it was off the hiking trail a bit. Goto brought us within 8 ft of the cache and the kids found an awesome cache and their first geocoin!

Back at camp that evening we logged our finds and tracked the geocoin so we would know what to do with it. Both the Pre- and your app- made the weekend for us! Thanks a bunch!
    Welcome to geocaching! So glad that you and your kids had a great time.
    Cache On!
    Lisa
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Hmm-- GSAK is windows only Mac user here.
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner View Post
    Hmm-- GSAK is windows only Mac user here.
    Check out MacCaching. It converts LOC to GPX and is a great all-around geocache record-keeping tool. (I'm not the app developer, just a satisfied user.)
    hey, downloaded this app and had a couple of questions.

1) i loaded up a .gpx file and it showed 0 waypoints. what gives?

2) is this something a avid mountain biker can use (with .gpx files loaded from the web) to navigate places you havent been before? will it show up on a map as well?

thanks!

-james
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Since I'm new into GeoCaching and also cheap, I only signed up on GeoCaching.com as a free user. I loaded a few caches into GSAK, and saved them out as a .gpx file. When loading them into GoToTool, they loaded fine (had to use the GPX 1.0 format) but when I click on "Loc" it brings up Google Maps, and says "Please refine your query - we could not understand the location 'empty,empty'." The "Sat" button seems to work OK, along with the "Log" button to take me to the log entry screen on GeoCaching.com.
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl View Post
    hey, downloaded this app and had a couple of questions.

1) i loaded up a .gpx file and it showed 0 waypoints. what gives?

2) is this something a avid mountain biker can use (with .gpx files loaded from the web) to navigate places you havent been before? will it show up on a map as well?

thanks!

-james
    1) I've only tested gpx import of files from geocaching.com. Will standardize sometime.
    2) Maps need data connection. From goto screen can launch maps zoomed on destination (Sat) Go To navigation will work without data connection as long as GPS gets a fix.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Would there be a way to have Goto disable notifications while it's running? I've found that sometimes the phone gets bogged down when they pop up and makes the program skip around a bit. And to set the screen blank timeout to be longer (like 5 minutes) or adjustable from the app?
    new to the whole thing but trying to figure the app out think i goot it now after reading thread. should have done that b4 heading out and trying 2 use. will post again after i get a chance 2 use again.
    Is it possible just to use the COMPASS as a directional device. Like the rest of your app but also would like a compass not attached to a waypoint. THANKS!
    Not sure exactly what your asking but the 'compass' isn't exactly functional. It simply illustrates triangulation. (although it does calculate a heading while moving)

What I mean is that it doesn't point to north. It just draws an arrow that shows you which way the waypoint is in relation to north. Point the N towards north and everything lines up. To be super accurate you'd need to have a real compass with you to line up the phone screen but over the short distances for geocaching this isn't an issue.

Some thoughts to the dev. team.

I understand GPX files have quite a bit of info in them. It would be nice if I could see this in the tool somewhere.

Currently I'm clicking on the log button and then the link back to the cache page to get into the details of the cache. Seems like this could be a bit more streamlined.

It would be neat (although largely useless) if the compass had a declination setting. I tossed a tiny compass in my vehicle to use with this tool, but since its probably a safe assumption your app points to geographic north and the compass to magnetic north they will be off by a good 9 degrees for my area.
    Rarely would this be an issue, but it would be a neat feature.

With 500 caches in the phone I was having trouble with the GPS. It appeared to be using the cell towers to get my location. I could pull up Google Maps and the blue dot was clearly a good block away from where I really was. I tried closing and reloading apps and turning the radios off and on (airplane more) to no avail. I didn't think to reboot the phone till we had given up and gone home. I have NO idea if this had anything to do with the number of waypoints I loaded or not. Just thought I mention it in case others are having the same problem.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast