1.    #1  
    So I was playing with the system sounds, and wished I had a way to review them all so I could easily determine if any of them would work for my app.

So, I took Irdavis4's Soundboard, and tweaked it to play all the built-in system sounds. All the currently available sounds are listed. Hopefully this program can help someone who wants to know what sounds are available and how to use them. If you want to know more about calls for the system sounds, look here.

Thanks, Irdavis4. Hopefully it's ok that I used your app as a source. Made this very quick.

v0.0.2 Added a few undocumented sounds that I found while digging around in the directories. They are the "*_buzz" sounds. Very much alike but slightly different in length. Oh, and the "delete_01" sound, which is documented, but I missed it somehow.

This application is in the public domain.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by boydell; 07/25/2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Cool application.

Can you give us a way to copy the sounds to our ringtones area if we want to use them for other things?

- Craig
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    You said these were a part of the webOS system sounds? Why aren't they enabled for things like back, forward, ...? Do you think it would be possible to make an app to assign each one of these sounds to a specific action or event? That would make my day. Thanks for the sweet app.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardrk View Post
    You said these were a part of the webOS system sounds? Why aren't they enabled for things like back, forward, ...? Do you think it would be possible to make an app to assign each one of these sounds to a specific action or event? That would make my day. Thanks for the sweet app.
    Yah, it is interesting that they have all of these sounds, and don't use most of them. I don't know, cause I haven't looked, but I would guess that it would not be possible to assign these sounds to pre-existing actions or events without changing base WebOS code.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Cool application.

Can you give us a way to copy the sounds to our ringtones area if we want to use them for other things?

- Craig
    I didn't know where the sounds actually were, but I dug around and found them. They are in /usr/share/systemsounds. They are all PCM, and I assume they could be copied over to the ringtones directory and used for other stuff. However, they probably need to be named something different, so as not to confuse the system.

Of course that would require root access. And it would be a bit beyond my ability to create an app that would let you do it.
    Last edited by boydell; 07/25/2009 at 11:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    That's interesting, the only system sound I've actually heard is the woosh it makes when you close an app.
    I updated the thread title to reflect your update:

playFeedback (System Sound API Demo) v0.0.2 [was v0.0.1](7/25)

- Craig
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    I updated the thread title to reflect your update:
    Thanks. I couldn't figure out how to do that.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I downlaod this app and cal open it and play the sounds like crickets and so forth, but how do I get them to where I can use them as notifications. When using the homebrew notification app it only allows things that show up in your music player. These sounds do not show up in the music player, maybe because they are wav files and not mp3 files. Please advise?