Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    This is a spirit level or carpenter's level that uses the accelerometer to determine the orientation. I don't find it to be very accurate, but its a fun tool to have. In the code I adjust for how the Pre doesn't sit quite straight. In my Pre this allows it to just about zero out accurately. From my testing it is accurate withing +/-.2 degrees.

As you will see, the graphics are atrocious. This app can't reach its potential without killer graphics. I, unfortunately, can't make them so it is up to you guys.

Usage info
    • have slider closed
    • place pre battery side down
    • app takes a couple seconds to zero in on the correct angle (there maybe be some jumping around)
    • remember this is an app in progress and in beta testing stages
    • card must be maximized otherwise it will pause (for battery reasons)

Well, that is it download below and leave feedback

Download the latest version from the Homebrew Apps Gallery: Carpenter's Level
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/09/2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: add link to new homebrew apps gallery where new versions will be maintained
    Going to try this out...was waiting for an app like this to come along! Thanks!
    kmax12
    Love ur apps keep up the good work. Reading and studying to someday release my own apps. Thanks
    Well, works as documented...wish it was faster...oh well. Works in a pinch!
    I guess this is the only time I would wish the Pre had some flat edges!
    cool! of course with all the curves, leveling is difficult with the Pre. still neat, though.

Looks like some code optimizing is needed, the updates are very slow. I'm sure the hardware on the Pre is robust enough to smooth out the movement.

Keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    cool! of course with all the curves, leveling is difficult with the Pre. still neat, though.

Looks like some code optimizing is needed, the updates are very slow. I'm sure the hardware on the Pre is robust enough to smooth out the movement.

Keep up the good work!
    Part of that is limited number of updates for the accelerometer too.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post

Keep up the good work!
    actually the sdk only allows getting info from the accelerometer 4 times a second, I think I read somewhere that the iphone is 20 (maybe it was 40). Unless this is changed, it is going to be jerky. However, I am gonna try to smooth the bubble movement by animating the in between frames so it at least gives the appearance of smoothness.
    hey, there is an app for that.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    great concept!!
    Just the app I need to balance my pre on it side
    Excellent idea. You should continue working on this app.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    actually the sdk only allows getting info from the accelerometer 4 times a second, I think I read somewhere that the iphone is 20 (maybe it was 40). Unless this is changed, it is going to be jerky. However, I am gonna try to smooth the bubble movement by animating the in between frames so it at least gives the appearance of smoothness.
    is that something that can be changed or is it stuck at 4 a second?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Haven't tried it yet but already got a request . I always thought it would be cool to have an adjusted zero button. That way I could use it in any orientation or to replicate different readings. Thanks! Hope you continue the app!
    Last edited by JWille; 07/25/2009 at 03:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    is that something that can be changed or is it stuck at 4 a second?
    It's the max Palm allows at the moment, so it's stuck.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    could this be adapted to measure G-forces in a car? you know... for on-track use?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I hope Palm increases the update refresh rate!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clerick44 View Post
    could this be adapted to measure G-forces in a car? you know... for on-track use?
    there is api's on plams website for G forces so it is possible. how would this be incooperated? is it just a numerical output or are there asociated graphics?
    also would you only need one axis or all 3?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    there is api's on plams website for G forces so it is possible. how would this be incooperated? is it just a numerical output or are there asociated graphics?
    also would you only need one axis or all 3?

I would imagine a simple X/Y plot marked from 3 to -3 in .2g intervals on the Y axis and, -1.2 to 1.2 in .05g increments for the X axis. Y would represent the acceleration/braking and the X would be lateral G's. There would be a dot floating around that plots with parameters at the same time and an Actual read out that would show instantaneous and max values in each of the four directions.

AND if the programming gods smiled bright on me it would have the ability to measure and/or graph speed versus time.

Am I being greedy?
    Surely that will be increased. The accelerometer needs to be updated quicker not only to make apps like this more useful, but for gaming. I know Palm said this isn't a high end gaming device, but ultimately the end user will decide that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast