Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    this is awesome!! it works perfectly with my GV i can now prank call people without them knowing it's me...uh i mean i can use this as my business line.. >_> lulz kidding aside, this is a wonderful program will you be setting up a way to dial my own numbers that's not in my contact at a later date?
    Regarding GV invites:

Several have stated that "there are no Google Voice invites available" [for sharing among users]. This is not true. Also, one post stated that they'd requested an invite last summer and just got it a few weeks ago. Don't worry, they won't all take that long! Here is my experience with invites:

- My boyfriend signed up for an invite months ago, and got one about three weeks ago.

- I signed up for an invite about two weeks ago.

- Last week, my boyfriend realized he had used both his gmail accounts to sign up and therefore had two invites. He forwarded one to my gmail account and when I clicked the link, it successfully registered me and linked my GV account to my gmail account, just as if I had requested it myself.

- A day later, I received the invite that I had requested. (No I haven't used it yet, but no, I won't send it to you... I'm hanging on to it for now.)

The moral: If you request an invite now, there seems to be a much faster turnaround (a week or two); and if you have a friend who has an extra invite, you CAN use it yourself.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artsgirl View Post
    Regarding GV invites:

Several have stated that "there are no Google Voice invites available" [for sharing among users]. This is not true. Also, one post stated that they'd requested an invite last summer and just got it a few weeks ago. Don't worry, they won't all take that long! Here is my experience with invites:

- My boyfriend signed up for an invite months ago, and got one about three weeks ago.

- I signed up for an invite about two weeks ago.

- Last week, my boyfriend realized he had used both his gmail accounts to sign up and therefore had two invites. He forwarded one to my gmail account and when I clicked the link, it successfully registered me and linked my GV account to my gmail account, just as if I had requested it myself.

- A day later, I received the invite that I had requested. (No I haven't used it yet, but no, I won't send it to you... I'm hanging on to it for now.)

The moral: If you request an invite now, there seems to be a much faster turnaround (a week or two); and if you have a friend who has an extra invite, you CAN use it yourself.

but technically speaking your GV account itself doesn't have an invite so you can't invite someone if you only have one gmail account. if you have multiple and sign up to get it for all of them then you have a workaround.
    Um... what am I doing wrong? I click the link to email the file download link. I open the email on my pre and tap the link. I wait for the link to de-highlight then switch to my launcher, but gdial is not there.

Any help is appreciated!
    Can't install apps that way anymore. Use WebOS Quick Install. Part of the process to installing this is to put your phone in Developer Mode. The easier code to do this is: webos20090606
    Follow the directions in the link below and request support from that thread if you are having problems installing WebOS Quick Install
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ll-v1-0-a.html

And once you get WebOS Quick install, also install fileCoaster to your Pre (using WebOS Quick Install) and that way you can install apps via your Pre.
    Follow the directions in the link below and request support from that thread if you are having problems installing fileCoaster.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...installer.html
    Last edited by NachoB; 07/28/2009 at 11:42 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    This app is great, here are a few of my recommendations.

1. Have a list of recently called numbers for quick dial. This would make calling the same contact easier.

2. Speed up how fast gdial dials the numbers. Google voice is very fast and responsive to number presses. I believe it can go way faster than it is.

3. Add the ability to SMS through google voice, directly from the app.

4. Add the ability to check voicemail directly through the app.

3 and 4 are just added features I think would be cool, but 1 and 2 seem like easy fixes that follow the current functions of this app.

Thanks again! I love gdial!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    this baby works great. love gv
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I can confirm that GV will accecpt fast dialing. I had a calling card app on my old Treo 755 that had a "fast dial" setting that I used to call GV. It worked like a charm. I think the DTMF tones were about 1/4 the normal time.
    Sorry - didn't fix it. Now prepends the number with 011 therefore GV states this is an invalid number.

Easy way to test - have a number in your address book like +1 (555) 555-5555 and see the results. This version tries to dial 01115555555 instead of just +15555555555...

Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    Your international dial issue should be fixed in the latest version. Please let me know if it is not.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Labs View Post
    Sorry - didn't fix it. Now prepends the number with 011 therefore GV states this is an invalid number.

Easy way to test - have a number in your address book like +1 (555) 555-5555 and see the results. This version tries to dial 01115555555 instead of just +15555555555...
    Is the US the only country that the 011 should not be prepended to when there is a + at the start of a number?

The reason I ask is that for foreign countries, the Google Voice docs said to replace the plus with 011 and then the country code. I can see how this might not work for US, but just want to make sure that for other countries that is the correct behavior as I don't have any foreign contacts myself.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    It seems the first time I use it it dials to quick. Not sure if its because I hit speaker phone or what. It will start sending the tones before GV picks up. On the second try on each test it worked fine.

Great app btw.
    Fantastic start!

under Preferences, the pin should be asterisks (****) in the event that someone looses their phone, also a dialer clone to use in Gdial would be great:

*I use my Google voice number for my business so many new customers aren't contacts yet.
    ***And there should be a DIAL button and a CHOOSE CONTACT button, since DIAL is misleading at this point

Also Google voice sms integration would be amazing, but I'm told that Google is on the waiting list for apps to be approved for the fall, so they will apparently have an app that will do that and more.

I'm rooting for opensource, though! I can't believe palm isn't contacting some of you developers. I mean Blocked? an absolute classic already, and Gdial is already a necessity.

Fantastic Job!
    Last edited by tommycanvas; 07/28/2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: more info
    Error on new build, as reported above. It's saying it's an invalid number when dialing numbers that have the 1 in front.

These numbers are coming from Facebook (for me). Facebook tells you to enter your phone number with the +1 in the info section. It's not required, but since it tells people to do it, many do.

This app doesn't seem to give me a choice of numbers to pick, it just takes the first one it sees perhaps? F acebook is before G oogle, so maybe it's just taking the facebook number and not giving a choice for the other numbers i have in that contact.

There has to be a way for the app to distinguish whether there is already a 1 in front of the number and handle it correctly either way.
    Last edited by christo1970; 07/28/2009 at 07:08 PM.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Just installed and tested. Works pretty well for me so far. Can't wait for updates. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    So, has anyone confirmed that this does indeed use minutes when calling/receiving calls via your GV number?
    Updated thread title to:
    Gdial --Google Voice Dialer v0.1.2 (7/28)

You are on a roll!

- Craig
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    It works great.
    Last edited by prephil; 07/30/2009 at 05:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    It does use minutes, the only advantage is caller sees you gvoice #
    Yep - replacing the + with 011 works for all countries EXCEPT when dialling from the home country.

Meaning - if I'm in the US - the '+' sign is ignored.

Now, if you want overseas users to use this app when the Pre is released - it will have to ignore their home country code too...

Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    Is the US the only country that the 011 should not be prepended to when there is a + at the start of a number?

The reason I ask is that for foreign countries, the Google Voice docs said to replace the plus with 011 and then the country code. I can see how this might not work for US, but just want to make sure that for other countries that is the correct behavior as I don't have any foreign contacts myself.
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Labs View Post
    Yep - replacing the + with 011 works for all countries EXCEPT when dialling from the home country.

Meaning - if I'm in the US - the '+' sign is ignored.

Now, if you want overseas users to use this app when the Pre is released - it will have to ignore their home country code too...
    I just put up release 0.1.3 which should fix this for US contacts. I will need to do some sort of configurable country code in a future version to make this work when the Pre is available in foreign countries so that it properly handles their local contacts that they have a + entered in front of.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast