View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 97 of 118 FirstFirst ... 47879293949596979899100101102107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky **** View Post
    My only feature request would be to add bookmarks to the video playback, but I know that probbaly won't happen.
    I wouldn't say never. It's on my list. Once webOS gives us a bit more control over video elements, I'll work on this. I've got an update half finished (I've started dashboard controls and various bugfixes with landscape mode and other things) but I just haven't made time for side projects recently. Work has been busy and I've been having too much fun in the evenings with my 4 month old!

[off topic] But I'm still here in webOS land. Patiently waiting for an announcement of what my new phone will look like.
    Weird problem. The podcast below gets to minute 18 out of 41 and then just stops playing as if that's the end of the podcast. If I skip past the trouble spot, it continues playing so it seems to be related to some content at that time stamp. Works fine on my computer, but has failed on my friend's Pre also, so it seems to be related to Dr. Podder. Any ideas?

http://www.myhistorycanbeatupyourpolitics.com/q12.mp3

The time varies, so the best way to see this in action is to forward to 17:30 and then listen for about 1 minute.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by REOScotte View Post
    Weird problem. The podcast below gets to minute 18 out of 41 and then just stops playing as if that's the end of the podcast. If I skip past the trouble spot, it continues playing so it seems to be related to some content at that time stamp. Works fine on my computer, but has failed on my friend's Pre also, so it seems to be related to Dr. Podder. Any ideas?

http://www.myhistorycanbeatupyourpolitics.com/q12.mp3

The time varies, so the best way to see this in action is to forward to 17:30 and then listen for about 1 minute.
    Are you streaming or downloading? is it all episodes of the cast? or just the one you linked?

Some research for Dr. Null on this one
    Feed address:http://feeds.feedburner.com/MyHistor...UpYourPolitics
    Episode linked above is "(re-run) What's Wrong and What's Right with the Electoral College, Palin, Declaring War, etc."

I am Able to confirm this is true for this episode (both Download and stream) and only on Dr podder (not on PC)
    Last edited by MiDoJo; 06/16/2010 at 11:57 AM.
    UI suggestion that has been bugging me about every music player app.
    Can you move the pause/play FF/RW buttons to the top? At the bottom they move up and down when I get or dismiss a notification and it's really driving me crazy. I don't like buttons that move, they should be consistent, and possible HUGE so I can press them easily in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by grandebob View Post
    UI suggestion that has been bugging me about every music player app.
    Can you move the pause/play FF/RW buttons to the top? At the bottom they move up and down when I get or dismiss a notification and it's really driving me crazy. I don't like buttons that move, they should be consistent, and possible HUGE so I can press them easily in the car.
    I second this suggestion. It's not as annoying to me, because I use Bluetooth controls _most_ of the time, but it does seem more logical to me to have all the controls at the top (slider is already there), and the episode info under that.
    Um...my DrPodder is not working anymore.. I have the HB version and it just gets stuck at the "drPodder v0.6.6 Loading Episodes" screen..

any idea whats happening? Note that I am using the UberKernel and govnah combo, but I did try to run at the "Default Palm" profile and it still didnt work

Adam

NOTE: I re-downloaded the App Catalog version (i had purchased that a while ago) and used Save/Restore to restore my HB feeds to the App Catalog feeds and the App catlaog version works fine. any idea why this would happen?
    Last edited by Audemars02; 06/17/2010 at 03:39 PM.
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Um...my DrPodder is not working anymore.. I have the HB version and it just gets stuck at the "drPodder v0.6.6 Loading Episodes" screen..
    Just for reference if others hit this issue: drPodder : Accessing DB File
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Just for reference if others hit this issue: drPodder : Accessing DB File
    Ok..so at this point if I was able to use the Save/Restore app to restore my info from the HB version (that was freezing) to the App Catalog version and that is working fine, I should be able to just delete the .db file mentioned above to "clear out" the feeds on the HB version, and then use save/restore to restore it again. right? follow that?

in other words, no reason to send you the db file if i have it working on the ap catalog version!

Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    Ok..so at this point if I was able to use the Save/Restore app to restore my info from the HB version (that was freezing) to the App Catalog version and that is working fine, I should be able to just delete the .db file mentioned above to "clear out" the feeds on the HB version, and then use save/restore to restore it again. right? follow that?

in other words, no reason to send you the db file if i have it working on the ap catalog version!

Adam
    Huh, neat, I had no idea you could use save/restore to switch between the hb version and the catalog version. Neat.

But yes, I think what you've said would work fine.

There are two things I plan to do (eventually) to address this issue. First, I'm going to change everything around so that the entire database is NOT loaded into memory when the program starts. That will fix, or at least reduce the frequency of, many problems - TMC (too many cards) errors, possibly db corruption, error playing back certain files, constant buffering when resuming bookmarks, etc. Let me clarify, I consider these issues to be caused by bugs in webOS, but my handling of memory in drPodder exacerbates these issues and causes them to be more frequent.

Second, I still want to incorporate gPodder syncing when I get a chance. They have a great API, and if I would just sit down and do it, I could probably knock it out in a week of evenings. What this would give us is first and foremost, a good backup system. But additionally, we would have the ability to sync playback/bookmarks between any device that gPodder supports. I think currently that's just desktops and nokia devices, but whatever - it's an open webservice with good api's that anybody could use.
    Huh, neat, I had no idea you could use save/restore to switch between the hb version and the catalog version. Neat.

Cool.. basically, since both the HB and App Catalog (AC) versions look to the same directory on the USB drive, all i had to do was take a "save" image from save/restore for the HB version, going into USB mode and copy the "HB" saverestore directory to the AC saverestore directory, and then use saverestore to "restore" the AC database. and just like that, all my podcasts were there with the correct status of new/old/downloaded/etc! worked like a charm.

thanks again!

Like any of my work:
    Not sure if this is a Dr Podder problem or just a lack of understanding on my part. This seems to me to be a podcast feed, but the app tells me it's an invalid URL when I try to add it. Why?
    http://www.smoothfewfilms.com/wp-rssvideo.php
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    Not sure if this is a Dr Podder problem or just a lack of understanding on my part. This seems to me to be a podcast feed, but the app tells me it's an invalid URL when I try to add it. Why?
    http://www.smoothfewfilms.com/wp-rssvideo.php
    So apparently that website returns a error-404 when that page is requested. It loads fine in your browser, but if you put it into a web sniffer program (like, oh, say View HTTP Request and Response Header), you'll see that the page is not returned properly. Also see http://web-sniffer.net/?url=http://w...o.php&http=1.1

I'd suggest contacting the owner of that site and forwarding them the above paragraph and asking them what's up?

There are two things I plan to do (eventually) to address this issue. First, I'm going to change everything around so that the entire database is NOT loaded into memory when the program starts. That will fix, or at least reduce the frequency of, many problems - TMC (too many cards) errors, possibly db corruption, error playing back certain files, constant buffering when resuming bookmarks, etc. Let me clarify, I consider these issues to be caused by bugs in webOS, but my handling of memory in drPodder exacerbates these issues and causes them to be more frequent.

Second, I still want to incorporate gPodder syncing when I get a chance. They have a great API, and if I would just sit down and do it, I could probably knock it out in a week of evenings. What this would give us is first and foremost, a good backup system. But additionally, we would have the ability to sync playback/bookmarks between any device that gPodder supports. I think currently that's just desktops and nokia devices, but whatever - it's an open webservice with good api's that anybody could use.
    I am having similar problems lately. I purchased the drPodder from the App Catalog and I don't have any patches or Homebrew applications installed. I listened to the last 2 episoded of WebOSroundup & both programs paused during the middle of each show. I was streaming & I could not go foward or backward. I eventually paused the programs & exited drPodder & then opened it back up & resumed and the remaining of the Podcasts played fine. This is the first time that it has happened.
    Hey thanks for the awesome app man. I've been looking for an app to download the Jim Rome show without the use of Itunes! For those of you that had a hard time trying to figure out how to download the Jim Rome podcast to your Pre, the key is the address. Once you download this app, add the url

http://rss.premiereradio.net/jimrome/podcast.xml

I made the mistake (by using the itunes address) of rss.premiereradio.net
    Once you input this in there, put in your user name and pw and you are set to go man!
    I notice that sometimes when I'm downloading an episode, the download will get to about 80-90% done and then all of a sudden will stop and start over again.

Any idea what could cause this?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Are you aware of this copy-cat app mentioned in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...821-legal.html

I know drPodder is open-source, but still it seems shady to take your code, add a few podcasts, and charge 5x what you charge.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Are you aware of this copy-cat app mentioned in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...821-legal.html

I know drPodder is open-source, but still it seems shady to take your code, add a few podcasts, and charge 5x what you charge.
    Minicry is the highest form of flattery. Doing this is actually a compliment in my opinion although it is a low handed, back stabbling, kind of kick you in the nuts one.
    Bell Palm Pre - The longer I have it the more I do with it.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Of course, legally there's nothing to stop anybody downloading LDS Media, and uploading it to the App Catalog under a similar name, with a price of $0.99.... (I would say for free, but that would be unfair to the DrPodder author)
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    On another note, I've been having trouble with Escape Pod (Escape Pod). It plays fine, it downloads fine on request, but it doesn't like autodownloading. I've tried removing and instating the feed, which hasn't helped. Other podcasts are autodownloading quite happily. Any suggestions? This is Dr. Podder HB, 0.6.6.
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    I notice that sometimes when I'm downloading an episode, the download will get to about 80-90% done and then all of a sudden will stop and start over again.
    The only thing I can think of that would cause this is an error in the download. If a text message or call comes in, that can interrupt the download sometimes. In which case, drPodder will attempt to redownload (if it is running)

Quote Originally Posted by swaldman View Post
    On another note, I've been having trouble with Escape Pod (Escape Pod). It plays fine, it downloads fine on request, but it doesn't like autodownloading. I've tried removing and instating the feed, which hasn't helped. Other podcasts are autodownloading quite happily.
    Maybe the episode isn't technically available at night when the feed updates, so the download attempt is actually trying to download a non-existant file? Hmm, I really don't know. If you leave it un-downloaded overnight, does it auto-download the next day? Even better, if you can tap it, and it starts downloading, cancel it, then see if auto-download over the next night will pick it up?

Quote Originally Posted by swaldman View Post
    Of course, legally there's nothing to stop anybody downloading LDS Media, and uploading it to the App Catalog under a similar name, with a price of $0.99.... (I would say for free, but that would be unfair to the DrPodder author)
    So I guess that's the thing about Open Source, right? I'm charging $1 for distribution and support. drPodder is open source and free for all to download/compile/extend/redistribute. According to the GPL, they should be at the very least releasing their own source & modifications under the GPL. Palm will not enforce this (I've asked them about it, and the response was "Wouldn't you rather have your source available and not theirs?"). And as others have noted, the "ethical" thing to do would be to note that their app is a direct copy of drPodder. Additionally, they should be clear that what you are paying for is the list of feeds, i.e., the value that Appible has added to the open source project. Granted, I don't think that value is worth the charge, but that is up to the consumer. So far, 90 people have found it worth it, or have at least been interested.

If drPodder had a better search capability, maybe they wouldn't be selling so many of their version since it would be easy to find feeds in drPodder.

I have no ill will towards them, but I do think they should release their source.