View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 81 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3171767778798081828384858691 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swankgd View Post
    Suddenly drPodder isn't launching properly. It gets to the splash screen with "Loading Episodes" and just sits there. I've tried rebooting the phone, no luck.

It was working fine yesterday, but I forgot to plug the phone in over night, so the battery ran down wit drPodder running (idle, but open). Nothing else has changed since it last successfully launched.

I'm on WebOS 1.4.0 and v5.4 of drPodder
    That's no good. My guess is the database was corrupted when it didn't shut down properly. You probably will have to delete/reinstall.

dr.null, as a feature request would it be possible to have an automatic or even manual database backup in the program? It hasn't happened to me for months now but if they aren't too big having a daily backup of the database could save redownloading quite a bit of data. I know it wouldn't be completely up to date and would have issues with podcasts deleted/removed since the backup but at least it's something. I understand if the implementation of it isnt feasable or impractical

It also could be nice when migrating/switching phones or webos updates to have one with current play position etc so that I wouldn't lose that information. Maybe backup/restore could be done completely via phone not requiring a pc?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Sorry but I had another request, I'm in IT so i feel like these feauture requests is like do you mind dedicating your life to my particular want for the next two weeks? Again I appreciate the hard work and love the app.

I would love to see an option to disable autoplay when i click on a podcast. Sometimes I just want to see the show's notes and not start playing the podcast and currently it isnt possible. It isn't big but it would be nice to have as an on/off switch.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swankgd View Post
    Suddenly drPodder isn't launching properly. It gets to the splash screen with "Loading Episodes" and just sits there. I've tried rebooting the phone, no luck.
    Could you plug your phone in and select USB Mode, then navigate to the Pre's USB Drive:\.app-storage\file_.media.cryptofs.apps.usr.palm.applications.com.drnull.drpodder-hb\ In that directory, there should be a .db file that starts with a bunch of 0's. Could you email that to support@drPodder.com?

Quote Originally Posted by pROvIs View Post
    That's no good. My guess is the database was corrupted when it didn't shut down properly. You probably will have to delete/reinstall. dr.null, as a feature request would it be possible to have an automatic or even manual database backup in the program?
    I will look into this. The problem is that any database you write in a program is tied to that program and is stored under that horrible directory structure I just mentioned above. So there would be no way to simplify importing the db to a new phone.

I currently use the "export via email" option because there is no way in webOS to create a file. I know, crazy, but that's the sandboxed app world.

I could possibly make a backup of the db (as a menu choice in drPodder) and then restore it (again, within the same instance of drPodder), but I don't see that as very helpful. Nobody's going to want to do that every day, and if I automate it, I'm not sure how to keep a fresh database that is created after a corrupted database is wiped out from overwriting the backup database that you want to restore from. If I keep a history of databases, then that's going to fill up your media partition, and I'm not sure how to delete the databases either. To make this even MORE fun, webOS doesn't notify me when a database is considered corrupt, it just blissfully blows the database away and gives me a handle to a brand spanking new (empty) database.

You, as a user, actually have the ability to backup the database. If you copy that .db file out of the (again horrendous) directory mentioned above, that is a backup of the database at that time. You could always drop that backed-up .db file back in that directory, and things would continue from that point.
    Mental note: I wonder if it's possible to "download" the .db file programatically, keep track of the downloaded/backed-up .db files, and then "download" a backup overtop of the real .db... must play with that.
    EDIT: thinking about this more, probably not, since the .db file is 0000000000##.db, and I have no way of knowing what ## is.

Quote Originally Posted by pROvIs View Post
    I would love to see an option to disable autoplay when i click on a podcast. Sometimes I just want to see the show's notes and not start playing the podcast and currently it isnt possible. It isn't big but it would be nice to have as an on/off switch.
    You can currently long-tap an episode and get a list of options. One of them is "Episode Details". That will show you details without playing the episode. I hesitate to add too many preferences/options in, I'm already loading up that preferences screen quite a bit. It's starting to look more like a windows mobile app and less like a simple webOS app.
    Last edited by drnull; 03/18/2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I was contacted by a German user of drPodder about a week ago with a request to localize drPodder for German. Of course, up to this point, I had been hard-coding UI strings in a most ethnocentric manner. So I took a day or two to extract all those strings out to a strings.json file. The German user is working on the German translation now. If anybody else out there would like a localized version of drPodder for their friends/countrymen... and you're willing to translate about 200 words/phrases for free.... let me know: support@drPodder.com I'll send you the file and when you get the chance to translate it, I'll drop it in. Who knows, there might even be a good way to show attribution somewhere in the app.

Any language, really, but the ones I can think of that we might need soon:
    (Mexican- or Spain-)Spanish, (Canadian- or France-)French, Italian

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    I will look into this. The problem is that any database you write in a program is tied to that program and is stored under that horrible directory structure I just mentioned above. So there would be no way to simplify importing the db to a new phone.

I currently use the "export via email" option because there is no way in webOS to create a file. I know, crazy, but that's the sandboxed app world.

I could possibly make a backup of the db (as a menu choice in drPodder) and then restore it (again, within the same instance of drPodder), but I don't see that as very helpful. Nobody's going to want to do that every day, and if I automate it, I'm not sure how to keep a fresh database that is created after a corrupted database is wiped out from overwriting the backup database that you want to restore from. If I keep a history of databases, then that's going to fill up your media partition, and I'm not sure how to delete the databases either. To make this even MORE fun, webOS doesn't notify me when a database is considered corrupt, it just blissfully blows the database away and gives me a handle to a brand spanking new (empty) database.

You, as a user, actually have the ability to backup the database. If you copy that .db file out of the (again horrendous) directory mentioned above, that is a backup of the database at that time. You could always drop that backed-up .db file back in that directory, and things would continue from that point.
    Mental note: I wonder if it's possible to "download" the .db file programatically, keep track of the downloaded/backed-up .db files, and then "download" a backup overtop of the real .db... must play with that.
    EDIT: thinking about this more, probably not, since the .db file is 0000000000##.db, and I have no way of knowing what ## is.
    Well I could from a PC get access to the *.db file from the USB drive take a copy of the file. I can open the *.db file in a program and insert it in a new *.db file when restoring. Actually I could just manipulate the backed-up *.db file and set all episodes to [downloaded = false] or download the episodes which is flaged [downloaded] and then move the files to the proper location on the device. It's a little hacky to avoid the build-in media import system, but it should work. I don't try to blow up your very nice database drnull, I don't hope you take it that way? just trying to help out!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runebune View Post
    Actually I could just manipulate the backed-up *.db file and set all episodes to [downloaded = false] or download the episodes which is flaged [downloaded] and then move the files to the proper location on the device.
    Yeah, about that. The downloads have to be handled by webOS because for drPodder to delete the downloads, they have to have been downloaded by webOS so that drPodder has a downloadTicket for them. The downloadTicket is required so that drPodder can delete the file after you are done with it.

So, while you can mess with anything else you want to mess with in the db file (although I give no guarantees on whether it would break drPodder), downloads are very touchy.
    Yeah, about that. The downloads have to be handled by webOS because for drPodder to delete the downloads, they have to have been downloaded by webOS so that drPodder has a downloadTicket for them. The downloadTicket is required so that drPodder can delete the file after you are done with it.

So, while you can mess with anything else you want to mess with in the db file (although I give no guarantees on whether it would break drPodder), downloads are very touchy.
    Is it a solution just to:
    -backup the db-file to the pc
    -when restoring then just set all the downloaded flags to false
    -rename the database to the database name current on the device
    -copy and overwrite the backup database to the current device database?

are the path to the database file always the same for each application id in webOS?
    do you have a version/revision number to indicate changes to the database, so I possible could limit the tool to only accept supported versions?
    Last edited by runebune; 03/19/2010 at 05:09 AM.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    are the path to the database file always the same for each application id in webOS?
    do you have a version/revision number to indicate changes to the database, so I possible could limit the tool to only accept supported versions?
    Yes, the path is always the same... unless Palm changes how that is handled (they've already done this once in the past when apps moved from /var to /media/cryptofs)

There is a version that I use, but it's not stored in the db. It's stored in Palm's db that points to the drPodder db, so it's not accessible.
    Is it a solution just to:
    -backup the db-file to the pc
    -when restoring then just set all the downloaded flags to false
    -rename the database to the database name current on the device
    -copy and overwrite the backup database to the current device database?
    drnull do you think this could be a solution to backup the database?
    Last edited by runebune; 03/19/2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    drnull do you think this could be a solution to backup the database?
    Yes, but it is not a long-term solution. It is a manual process and requires plugging in your Pre and selecting USB drive (which knocks you off of the network and requires a reboot after unplugging).

You are (of course) welcome to write something up that would do this.

Actually, I think the db corruption issue has gone WAY down recently. webOS used to be corrupting the db quite often, but it seems a lot better now. I would love to hear back from swankgd so we could troubleshoot the db issue they were seeing.

Granted, we still have the need to backup the db when doctoring or switching phones. I don't have a good solution to that right now other than to export the OPML and reimport it.
    Yes, but it is not a long-term solution. It is a manual process and requires plugging in your Pre and selecting USB drive (which knocks you off of the network and requires a reboot after unplugging).

You are (of course) welcome to write something up that would do this.

Actually, I think the db corruption issue has gone WAY down recently. webOS used to be corrupting the db quite often, but it seems a lot better now. I would love to hear back from swankgd so we could troubleshoot the db issue they were seeing.

Granted, we still have the need to backup the db when doctoring or switching phones. I don't have a good solution to that right now other than to export the OPML and reimport it.
    but would it not work if I:
    -backup the database
    -set downloads to false
    -doctor the device
    -install drPodder
    -overwrite the new drPodder database with the backed-up and altered one
    -plug the usb safely and open drPodder

now all the new/old status would be the same and you dont have to filter all the episodes like you should to with a OPML feed or what?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    but would it not work if I:
    -backup the database
    -set downloads to false
    -doctor the device
    -install drPodder
    -overwrite the new drPodder database with the backed-up and altered one
    -plug the usb safely and open drPodder

now all the new/old status would be the same and you dont have to filter all the episodes like you should to with a OPML feed or what?
    Yes, that would work fine for a manual backup solution.
    First, thank you VERY much for this app! I just came from iPhone and so far, I think that this is going to be a much better way to get my podcasts!

My question:

The iPhone had a feature that allowed me to listen to my podcast at double speed, but the audio was normalized so that people didn't sound like chipmumnks.

Any plans to add this feature to drPodder?

Again, thank you very much for developing this app!

****Apologies if this has been covered, but 81 pages of threads is just a little much to try and find this topic...unless anyone has suggestions for search terms***
    @johngrubb - Palm Pre User
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlg View Post
    First, thank you VERY much for this app! I just came from iPhone and so far, I think that this is going to be a much better way to get my podcasts!

My question:

The iPhone had a feature that allowed me to listen to my podcast at double speed, but the audio was normalized so that people didn't sound like chipmumnks.

****Apologies if this has been covered, but 81 pages of threads is just a little much to try and find this topic...unless anyone has suggestions for search terms***
    This has been covered and the answer was that the SDK does not support this feature yet
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlg View Post

My question:

Yeah, this has been discussed quite a bit.

Essentially this is a feature many people, including DrNull want, but limitations in WebOS prevent him from implementing it currently. The best suggestion currently is to use podshifter.com to create a new feed of your podcast at different speeds.

Welcome back from the Dark Side, btw
    Hey there, i'm encountering a bug with the app, I've seen this before, but it's really starting to bother men now. When I add a new podcast to my list, episodes will not show up in the "all" feed no matter what I do. Existing podcasts from will always show up, but newly added podcasts will not. The only way I've found to get all of them to show up is to export the drpodder.xml file, delete all of my feeds, and then re-import the xml file.

Is there a solution to this, or do I just have to live with it for now?
    Yes, that would work fine for a manual backup solution.
    drnull, do you know how drPodder would behave if the database has flaged an episode as NOT downloaded, but the file actually is, and the you try to download the file? does it overwrite the existing file or just flag the downloaded flag?

I have now released a new version of my drPodder Media Importer with this backup/restore feature.

BACKUP:

-Plug in the device via USB at select USB mode on device
    -Backup the database file from the device to the PC via the menu [device]
    -This will search the device and find the database file and ask for a place to back it up.
    -After this you should be “safe” to webOS doctor the device or any other task that wipe out the application database for drPodder

RESTORE:

-Plug in the device via USB at select USB mode on device
    -Restore the database file from the PC (BACKUP 3.) to the device via the menu [device]
    -Select the backed-up database file from the PC
    -This will flag all the episodes in the database as NOT downloaded (you should download from drPodder on the device)
    -It will take a backup of the existing database file on the device (,same directory as the original database file,) and name it *.db.bak
    -Now it copy and overwrite the database file used by drPodder
    -SAFELY un-plug the USB device and startup drPodder

I have not tested drPodder intense with this new feature, but initial tests was a success.

free to try on own risk!
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...-importer.html

Change log:
    -Trimming leading and trailing spaces from channel/directory name
    -Prevent closing when processing
    -Backup drPodder database file from device
    -Restore drPodder database from backed-up file (set all downloaded flags to [false]). Existing device database will be renamed to ‘*.db.bak’ before a restore
    Last edited by runebune; 03/19/2010 at 02:58 PM.
    @wunderbar,
    Sorry to ask the obvious, but you weren't all the clear in exactly what steps you're taking.

After you add the podcast to the feed list, are you then editing the All list to include that feed? The All doesn't pick up new feeds automatically.

EDIT: It is pointed out in a later post that the real solution here was to set the "Include All Feeds" toggle to On. I forgot about that toggle when I first responded.
    Last edited by muppet_funk; 03/22/2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Noted a correction from a later post.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    @wunderbar,
    Sorry to ask the obvious, but you weren't all the clear in exactly what steps you're taking.

After you add the podcast to the feed list, are you then editing the All list to include that feed? The All doesn't pick up new feeds automatically.
    Ok, after going through the settings I found the edit playlist thing. Thanks, bit of a stupid moment on my part, but also some curious functionality.

IMO, "All podcasts" should actually mean, "all podcasts," and new podcasts added should automatically go into a feed that is marked as "all." If I wanted to create a playlist with some of them in it, I would.

I'll know this for the future, but like I said, it's curious functionality that all podcasts doesn't actually mean everything.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Ok, after going through the settings I found the edit playlist thing. Thanks, bit of a stupid moment on my part, but also some curious functionality.

IMO, "All podcasts" should actually mean, "all podcasts," and new podcasts added should automatically go into a feed that is marked as "all." If I wanted to create a playlist with some of them in it, I would.

I'll know this for the future, but like I said, it's curious functionality that all podcasts doesn't actually mean everything.
    Really strange. I've always found that the All playlist picks up new episodes just fine.

Could you give more details? When you edited the settings on the "All" playlist, was the "Include All Feeds" toggle set to "ON"?

How did you add the new podcast that wasn't showing up? Through add by url or did you search a directory or did you import an OPML?

Thanks for any help, and glad you got around the problem.