View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 72 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2262676869707172737475767782 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    Weird... I'm not having any issues with Dr. Podder. This morning, I streamed Engadget and it worked just fine...
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    They aren't....if I tap on the download arrow, nothing happens. I have the "Download only over wifi" preference turned off. Any thoughts?
    Just noticed there's an option to make the downloadmanager allow 1x downloads. I *think* that was new in 1.4, but it might have been added in 1.3.5. I'll add it, but it might have to be removed from the catalog version...

@TreoRock it will stream through a file fine, but I was having trouble resuming from a bookmark/paused episode. Also, jumping around using the seek bar was kinda janky. Lastly, if I left it paused for more than like 5 seconds, playback would fail shortly after resuming.
    I have a few podcast rss feeds that will load, but not play. I get a connecting and then a brief buffer, and then back to connecting again. Any thoughts? These all worked previous to 1.4. If your Beta update will fix this, could you PM me with a link? Thanks!
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I have a few podcast rss feeds that will load, but not play. I get a connecting and then a brief buffer, and then back to connecting again. Any thoughts? These all worked previous to 1.4. If your Beta update will fix this, could you PM me with a link? Thanks!
    Once I get the beta out, I'll let everybody take a crack at it. I was just hoping that somebody with 1.3.5 would be able to test it, but l think I'll just abandon 1.3.5 support. I won't intentionally break it, but I won't actively support it. I'll try to keep old versions around in case it's needed.

Anyway, to address your issue, please post or PM the xml address of the feeds that are giving you trouble so I can test as to whether the beta will fix it. In the mean time, you can probably download the podcasts fine.
    I like the new version but seems to restart every podcast over from the beginning now no matter if the app is closed and reopened or not. The podcast view properly showes where I left off but when I try and resume it just starts over.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    I like the new version but seems to restart every podcast over from the beginning now no matter if the app is closed and reopened or not. The podcast view properly showes where I left off but when I try and resume it just starts over.
    It's a webOS 1.4 bug.

Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Just so everybody knows, I'm aware of some streaming issues with drPodder and webOS 1.4. I'm working on getting those issues resolved and will have a new build out this week to address the problems.

Issues I'm aware of (for streaming):
    • Cannot resume playback at bookmark
    • Buffered amount isn't displaying correctly
    • Seeking is broken
    • "Buffering" status indicator sometimes stays displayed and play button stays disabled

This is part of the reason it's not in the catalog yet. Palm had told developers about a month ago that 1.4 would massively change the audio system, and I didn't have time to webOSDoctor my main every-day phone to 1.4 beta to test these issues.

The dilema I'm stuck with now is that if I resolve these issues for 1.4, I may create issues for 1.3.5 (or 1.3.5.1/1.3.5.2) and thus break drPodder for folks who won't get 1.4.x till later.

If anybody out there is still on 1.3.5.x (and knows how to install a .ipk) and would like to get a test build of 0.5.3 to help me test streaming, let me know this week at support@drpodder.com

Backwards incompatibility FTL.

Oh, and @primetime34 downloads should work fine over 1x. Let me know if they aren't (what error are you seeing?).
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    DrNull, great program-- it's probably my favorite. Minor bug to report though: Running 0.5.1 and noticing that podcasts are being downloaded to the hidden .podcastname folder regardless of whether the "Hide Podcasts Files" checkbox is off or on. I liked having the downloaded video podcasts appear in the Video player in the past to enable bookmarking for video. Am I missing something?

By the way, you can definitely count on my $1!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmacke View Post
    Just confirmed the speed. 290 megabytes in about seven minutes, local transfer over wifi. It's no longer necessary for me to rush out of bed and start the download in order to have the audio before I go to work. Pretty sweet.
    Why don't you set your feed preference to auto-download instead of doing it manually every morning?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13 View Post
    DrNull, great program-- it's probably my favorite. Minor bug to report though: Running 0.5.1 and noticing that podcasts are being downloaded to the hidden .podcastname folder regardless of whether the "Hide Podcasts Files" checkbox is off or on. I liked having the downloaded video podcasts appear in the Video player in the past to enable bookmarking for video. Am I missing something?
    Hmm, I can't reproduce this. Make sure that you are clicking "update" when updating the "hide podcasts files" checkbox. If you just change that checkbox and then swipe back, the change isn't saved.

Also, the change only applies to NEW downloads, not existing downloads (there's no way in webOS to move files around, you can only specify where files are downloaded to).

If neither of those apply, please email the podcast url to support@drpodder.com so I can look into it.
    Hmm, I can't reproduce this. Make sure that you are clicking "update" when updating the "hide podcasts files" checkbox. If you just change that checkbox and then swipe back, the change isn't saved.
    I don't know if this is the problem the other user was experiencing, but this is the goof I make most often when using Dr Podder. Granted, feed changes aren't made very often, but it's very easy to become accustomed to the other WebOS app preference pages just saving changes with a back-gesture.

Would you consider changing the method for a future version to move in line with the general WebOS approach?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Just so everybody knows, I'm aware of some streaming issues with drPodder and webOS 1.4. I'm working on getting those issues resolved and will have a new build out this week to address the problems.

Issues I'm aware of (for streaming):
    • Cannot resume playback at bookmark
    • Buffered amount isn't displaying correctly
    • Seeking is broken
    • "Buffering" status indicator sometimes stays displayed and play button stays disabled

This is part of the reason it's not in the catalog yet. Palm had told developers about a month ago that 1.4 would massively change the audio system, and I didn't have time to webOSDoctor my main every-day phone to 1.4 beta to test these issues.

The dilema I'm stuck with now is that if I resolve these issues for 1.4, I may create issues for 1.3.5 (or 1.3.5.1/1.3.5.2) and thus break drPodder for folks who won't get 1.4.x till later.

If anybody out there is still on 1.3.5.x (and knows how to install a .ipk) and would like to get a test build of 0.5.3 to help me test streaming, let me know this week at support@drpodder.com

Backwards incompatibility FTL.

Oh, and @primetime34 downloads should work fine over 1x. Let me know if they aren't (what error are you seeing?).
    I just ran into an issue this morning where I see the "buffering" stuck and play button disabled bug, but its when I try to play downloaded podcasts.
    If I delete any of them (which marks them old) then go to the old view and play them, they will play streaming.
    I did try restarting DrPodder and restarting device. all had no affect.
    This is with a Sprint Pre @ webos 1.4. I do have some patches but no audio related ones. I also do not have Music player Remix.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    but it's very easy to become accustomed to the other WebOS app preference pages just saving changes with a back-gesture. Would you consider changing the method for a future version to move in line with the general WebOS approach?
    Yes, it's the most frustrating thing in drPodder for me currently (and others have mentioned it). I will quite frequently do the same thing (backswipe assuming it will be saved). I'll try to address that. The problem comes in error checking. The update button does error checking on the url, and if it fails, it leaves you at the screen so you can fix the problem. If I do that on back-swipe, I can prevent you from popping the scene, and just put a cancel button in that allows you to cancel even if there are errors, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorDr View Post
    I just ran into an issue this morning where I see the "buffering" stuck and play button disabled bug, but its when I try to play downloaded podcasts.
    If I delete any of them (which marks them old) then go to the old view and play them, they will play streaming.
    What a bummer. Ok, I'll try to recreate this as well. It's weird because a downloaded podcast should never fire any events that would cause "buffering" to come up on the screen. I have made quite a few changes to that even code already though so it may be fixed.

Were you seeing this on ALL downloaded podcasts? Just one feed in particular?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Yes, it's the most frustrating thing in drPodder for me currently (and others have mentioned it). I will quite frequently do the same thing (backswipe assuming it will be saved). I'll try to address that. The problem comes in error checking. The update button does error checking on the url, and if it fails, it leaves you at the screen so you can fix the problem. If I do that on back-swipe, I can prevent you from popping the scene, and just put a cancel button in that allows you to cancel even if there are errors, I guess.
    Is there a Blur event for the podcast URL that you could use to error check?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I am on a GSM w/ Sprint 1.4 - I can DL the podcasts fine, however when I select them to play I see the buffering rectangle (it is blank inside) and in addition, I dont have any control buttons on the bottom of the screen - i.e. play, pause, FF, etc.

It will not play at all.
    - Thank you.
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Were you seeing this on ALL downloaded podcasts? Just one feed in particular?
    Yes, it was with all my downloaded podcasts. Its really strange because everything worked fine yesterday afternoon. I have no idea what could have changed.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Er... nevermind. I found that the hide podcast files checkbox wasn't being saved properly to the db... oops. Will be fixed this week as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    Is there a Blur event for the podcast URL that you could use to error check?
    Yes, that could work, but with the ability to do authentication, that gets a bit more complicated. I'll just capture the back-swipe and put a Cancel button floating on the bottom so that if you want to cancel, you can. (or if you leave the url blank and back-swipe it will cancel as well)

Quote Originally Posted by jbcross View Post
    I am on a GSM w/ Sprint 1.4 - I can DL the podcasts fine, however when I select them to play I see the buffering rectangle (it is blank inside) and in addition, I dont have any control buttons on the bottom of the screen - i.e. play, pause, FF, etc.
    Eh? GSM with Sprint? CDMA maybe?
    I've heard a similar report from one other user, but the built-in music player wouldn't play for them either. Could you check that? If the built-in music player doesn't play... I can't help you. You'll have to webOSDoctor the phone or do some serious troubleshooting.

If the built-in music player plays fine, try rebooting or . . . well, I'm short of ideas on this one.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts

Eh? GSM with Sprint? CDMA maybe?
    I've heard a similar report from one other user, but the built-in music player wouldn't play for them either. Could you check that? If the built-in music player doesn't play... I can't help you. You'll have to webOSDoctor the phone or do some serious troubleshooting.

If the built-in music player plays fine, try rebooting or . . . well, I'm short of ideas on this one.
    Meaning I have a GSM device and have the Sprint firmware installed, which I have done sucessfully for quite some time. I am currently downloading the GSM firmware (I will miss the navigation software) to see if that impacts what I am seeing since 1.4
    -Thanks
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money
    I've got a sprint Pre(just got it as a replacement yesterday, old one had a power button failure). It is running 1.4 with a fresh copy of drPodder with only the drpodder.xml moved over. I'm having the "buffering box minus text" issue as well. Restarting the Pre did no good. My Pre is practically a clean slate, so far as I can tell it is brand new. The music app works fine.

Anything else you would like me to try?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeta View Post
    I've got a sprint Pre(just got it as a replacement yesterday, old one had a power button failure). It is running 1.4 with a fresh copy of drPodder with only the drpodder.xml moved over. I'm having the "buffering box minus text" issue as well. Restarting the Pre did no good. My Pre is practically a clean slate, so far as I can tell it is brand new. The music app works fine.
    Did you upgrade to 1.4 or was 1.4 preinstalled or did you doctor?
    I had to update it myself. After posting that message I tried to pull up pandora and it didn't work. It would get to the playing screen then just sit there with the thumper rotating. The notification area would suggest something was playing(with a play button, thumbs up/down) and even show song names that changed(just like going from one song to another), but no actual audio and the main "now playing" screen just kept the thumper. I'm thinking that it might be a webOS 1.4 issue.

What other audio players are there that I can test this with? I tried the TWiT.tv app, it worked but it just calls the built in music player. I tried youtube, but that's video and worked fine.