View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 70 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2060656667686970717273747580 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    I don't know, I like to think that if I were to get it submitted in the next week or so that I would have a nice download count after a few weeks that would rival other apps and get me up in the low 100's on the ranking. After all, the contest runs through May 31 and the top 221 paid apps will get a prize. That's a lot of apps when you think about it.
    You know, you're definitely right. For some reason, I was giving too much importance too the 'time available for download' factor in the contest when in reality, if an app is good and broadly helpful, (and DrPodder is), it's really a matter of installed base of phones and what % you can get to download / pay for it before the contest ends. For the apps released on contest day 1, it's not like they're getting significantly more downloads on a daily basis (outside of new WebOS users) once their core following buys the app.

I think I can speak for many of us already-donors, that another $1 towards helping you onto the medal stand to acheive some level of prize money would certainly be worth it. Same goes for Dan and Remix (assuming he gets into the catalog in time as well). Can I assume that your (and his) ability to get into the catalog is related to Palm locking down / opening up their media playback and 'file indexing' APIs in the next month or so (or day...?)

By the way, I'm one of those who only listened to podcasts very infrequently before (using an app called (I think) quicknews on PalmOS that was no where close to as functional and featurepacked as DrPodder. But now, as you say, I'm definitely hooked. It also helps that I now have a ridiculous commute to deal with daily.

Best.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    [snip]

Thanks for that, and I do appreciate all the donations received over the past few months. I hope that putting it in the catalog for $1 doesn't trivialize the very generous donations that so many of you have given. And, of course, it will always be updated here in PreCentral as well - as long as Palm doesn't complain.
    ONE dollar!? Seriously? I'm assuming you did not write drPodder to get rich or anything, but dude, IMHO that's WAY too low. drPodder is easily the app with the most value to me - plus it's not like there are other podcatchers out there you have to get in a price war with

Anyway, congrats, I look forward to seeing it in the official catalog soon (at whatever price!)

edit: Just read your other reply where you do officially confirm you don't need to get rich from drPodder
    Last edited by nxg125; 02/24/2010 at 09:18 AM.
    I agree...$1 is too low...i think 2.99 would prob be a good price point to get enough cash yet not scare people away.. but I would personally be willing to even drop $5 as well on a great program!
    The problem with $2.99, is people will not be as likely to try it. By making it $1 more people will buy it with out thinking and then DrNull is more likely to get some of the prize money.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nxg125 View Post
    edit: Just read your other reply where you do officially confirm you don't need to get rich from drPodder
    Well, I'm not independently wealthy or anything. It's just that I'm guessing X * $1.00 vs Y * 5.00 won't be that different. I could be wrong though. Maybe Y is likely to be close to X, who knows. I just wanted this to be out there as something that people pay to use, but not something that's too expensive to let everyone who is slightly interested try it.

Hopefully this doesn't damage the webOS app ecosystem as some have suggested (not in this thread, but other places) by making it difficult for a good app to charge an appropriate amount. The fact is, we live in a post-iTunes world, and the majority expect apps to come in on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by krwren View Post
    The problem with $2.99, is people will not be as likely to try it. By making it $1 more people will buy it with out thinking and then DrNull is more likely to get some of the prize money.
    Heh, yeah, that, and I don't have to make a demo version this way. People are more likely to try a $1 app without a demo than a $5 app.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm glad that so many value the program above $1. I value the program above $1 as well. I'd probably pay $10 for it. Maybe in the future I'll raise the price ($3 seems to be a popular choice), after I add more features and fix more bugs. (Hey, the early buyers will get in cheaper!)

While we all enjoy money talk... let's get back to feature requests/bug reports.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    While we all enjoy money talk... let's get back to feature requests/bug reports.
    Since you asked:

Would it possible to add a feature to manually scan a specific podcast folder for added files? Sometimes I download a large amount of podcasts on my PC (since it's way faster than on the Pre) and copy them over to the Pre. drPodder is a great way to listen to podcasts but I have not found a way to make these manually added files appear.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    Since you asked:

Would it possible to add a feature to manually scan a specific podcast folder for added files? Sometimes I download a large amount of podcasts on my PC (since it's way faster than on the Pre) and copy them over to the Pre. drPodder is a great way to listen to podcasts but I have not found a way to make these manually added files appear.

Thanks.
    I also like this idea, I have some MP3 Audio books and being able to drop them in a directory and have them added would make it a very good for audio books. But adding all of these little things might make the program to complex. So think of that before adding new features.
    Quote Originally Posted by krwren View Post
    I also like this idea, I have some MP3 Audio books and being able to drop them in a directory and have them added would make it a very good for audio books. But adding all of these little things might make the program to complex. So think of that before adding new features.
    +1. I don't even read ---errr listen to--- audio books, but I've heard a bunch of folks complain about listening to books on the standard music app or even Remix. I like the idea of one single folder that could compile a single personal 'feed' based on whatever apps are in there at a given time. (keep it simple) Maybe you could even maintain the manual refresh metaphor for those who want this feature (the lower right circular arrow button) rather than making it use up cycles on launch (assuming most won't manage their podcasts / audio books this way.

I think on of the main issues with audiobooks on the other music apps is the lack of skip buttons for -1:00 -0:20 and +0:20 +1:00.
    Well, I'm not independently wealthy or anything. It's just that I'm guessing X * $1.00 vs Y * 5.00 won't be that different. I could be wrong though. Maybe Y is likely to be close to X, who knows. I just wanted this to be out there as something that people pay to use, but not something that's too expensive to let everyone who is slightly interested try it.

Then run a sale price of $1 for the first month! The raise it up to $5.

Then you will get all the good reviews and then the people past that month will likely reach into their pockets because of the reviews!

That way, you get to be the good guy getting it out there, and you get to make some sort of profit in the end.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Since you asked:

Thanks.
    I think you can do that now.

Just open that podcast folder and hit the refresh button it will skip the other updates and refresh your immediately.

But better check with drnull first.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I don't know of any way to boost the volume in software. I'm sure there's a way to do it through patching, but I don't know what that would be.
    I'm actually going crazy trying to get help on this issue.

It's really that bad for me.

I'm surprised that no one else is having the problem like I am.

But it does seem that most people are using Bluetooth headsets or Bluetooth external speakers.

I have Bluetooth external speakers and they work great but not for travel on foot.

I have a Bluetooth stereo headset, but they are just too big for easy travel, they are the older Plantronics 590A's. Great, high quality sound and the best bass I've heard.

But I should be able to get enough volume from the headset unless its damaged in some strange way.

Someone told me tonight that drPodder controls the volume, but you had answered me that you do not control that in any way.

So I'm left with someone coming up with a patch. I'm not even sure who to approach on this.

Actually, it was fine before that last upgrade, so maybe when we get 1.4 it might be fixed.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

i use this app every day! every day! i would wine about a $10 price tag, but i would pay it. i think $4 or $5 would be the sweetest spot to get the greatest number of people that already use it to buy it as well as not scare away new users, especially after they see the reviews that we would give it.

i do have 2 enhancement requests, if they have not been requested already:
    1. please add export/import opml to/from clipboard, to eliminate the need for usb mode,
    2. if there is a way to back gesture from a playing (or streaming) episode to the list, yet keep the episode playing maybe by opening the episode in a new window), that would be great. Then i can monkey with the podcasts after firing one up.

Keep up the enhancements to this awesome app!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I think you can do that now.

Just open that podcast folder and hit the refresh button it will skip the other updates and refresh your immediately.

But better check with drnull first.

Rob
    I copied a podcast manually into a podcast folder, started drPodder and hit the refresh button. Unfortunately the added file did not show up.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I'd pay $3 for it. I love the beta!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Would it possible to add a feature to manually scan a specific podcast folder for added files?
    This is on the list, and I think it would be relatively straight-forward, assuming there is some way in webOS for me to get a listing of files (you see other programs doing it using the internalz framework), obviously I can't do that in the catalog...

Quote Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
    1. please add export/import opml to/from clipboard, to eliminate the need for usb mode,
    2. if there is a way to back gesture from a playing (or streaming) episode to the list, yet keep the episode playing maybe by opening the episode in a new window), that would be great. Then i can monkey with the podcasts after firing one up.
    1. Good suggestion, I (as do many others) HATE usb mode. This would be helpful.
    2. You can't do this yet, but when I get around to doing the dashboard player, this should just work. Going to card view, switching apps, or navigating away from the playback scene would all pop up a player dashboard. That way you could monkey with other things as you point out.

I copied a podcast manually into a podcast folder, started drPodder and hit the refresh button. Unfortunately the added file did not show up.
    There's some confusion here... I think Rob was talking about updating a single podcast. Scanning folder for files is definitely not supported yet.
    i just deleted dr. podder to pay the 1.00 and update it. The older version is listed in preware but won't install, how do i download the new version.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosenbaaron View Post
    i just deleted dr. podder to pay the 1.00 and update it. The older version is listed in preware but won't install, how do i download the new version.
    Sorry, it's not in the catalog yet. Actually, I'm not even finished submitting it yet... The 0.5.1 version in preware should be the latest. Are you not seeing that version?
    Sorry, it's not in the catalog yet. Actually, I'm not even finished submitting it yet... The 0.5.1 version in preware should be the latest. Are you not seeing that version?
    no i see 0.48, its listed in file coaster though. I'm also having issues. I am no longer able to live stream the moth podcast (as of version 0.48), and if i try resume the gdgt podcast more than three times (it could effect more podcasts) it just marks it as old. I'm really not a big fan of downloading, since the unthrottle download patch doesn't work so I rely on streaming. The streaming works quite well if you are always connected to evdo, which I am.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I've been using the new Dr. Podder HB version and have been a long time user of the former version. I listen to my podcasts in the car through a bluetooth enabled speakerphone with an FM transmitter (Moto T505). Works great and all of the controls (rw,ff,pause,play) work great.

Since upgrading, I have noticed that the player sometimes lags when I try to wake it up by hitting any of the controls, i.e. pause. This happens when the podcast has been playing for 10 minutes straight or so and the screen is in lock mode. Even if I try to hit any of the controls manually, the player takes a loooong time to even show the controls on the screen and even then it lags. Then, all of a sudden, you will see all of my attempted button pushes trigger, i.e. the pause/play button lights up five times in a row as if it is only now receiving the signals.

I hope I've explained this well enough for the OP to understand. I never had this problem with the former version and it has been happening with the new version fairly consistently. Any ideas why this is happening?
    This (and there's another one below this one) description is exactly what I've noticed and described as a memory leak. The longer I leave DrPodder open, the worse it gets. Eventually it causes my phone to become completely unresponsive and makes me need to reboot. Never had this problem with the old version. I'm convinced there's something fishy/leaky going on but whether it's inside DrPodder or WebOS, I'm not sure. Best of luck finding it!
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    First of all, my Favorite App. Just Great.

I'm having trouble setting up a particular video podcast.

The Basketball Jones (Video)

That looks like the link I should be using -- I can directly type the locations of the "Download" links on that page and my Pre will play the videos. But, drPodder seems to have trouble parsing the RSS feed.

Any help?