View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 69 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1959646566676869707172737479 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wotan View Post
    Is there any chance that the newest version has a memory leak? I never had this problem with the old version but if I leave drPodder open it sometimes seems to eat up all of my memory and then I get a notification that "Memory has become critically low...." My os basically becomes unresponsive at this point and it seems to get better if I am able to swipe DrPodder away.
    Well... I won't guarantee that the new version has no memory leaks, but it should have no more than previous version. If you like, I could probably dig up an old version and send it to you. Email me at support@drpodder.com if you'd like to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by pROvIs View Post
    All of them worked fine besides one (GameTrailers.com - Video Reviews). It downloads the episode list and goes to download the files but almost immediately the yellow bar fills but the file never finishes.
    The enclosures that feed references:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/download...5lin_rp_gt.mp4
    http://www.gametrailers.com/download...2bof_rp_gt.mp4
    etc
    All return 404 for me. Strange...
    So I apparently need to capture the 404 error and at least display that on the screen. Thanks!

As for where gametrailers.com has put it's video files... you've got me!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    I don't really understand the motivation for this request. I mean, podcasts aren't music, they're content. So why would you want it playing if you aren't actively listening to it? Do people really fall asleep to podcasts?

Additionally, how should the timer be reset? Does the 15 minute clock just restart every time the app becomes active? Wouldn't this be annoying then when you are driving and listening to a podcast? I understand that it's an optional sleep timer, but it just seems like it would be more frustrating than useful.

Convince me, give me some more usage examples/motivation for the feature. I'll put it on the todo list then.
    Listening to a podcast is a great way for insomniacs to fall asleep. Set it at 15, 30, or 60 minutes - you fall asleep and the program shuts off. If there is no shut off, the podcast will often just wake you up again. Adding this feature would be great.
    I haven't check this forum in a while. I've been a happy camper.

So is there a new version, is it available? And is it going to the App Catalog, great! I would support that in a minute.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Do people really fall asleep to podcasts?
    I hate to admit that I have actually used 'drpodder' to use to fall asleep at times.

I have a bad time sleeping at times, so occasionally I will play a podcast and fall asleep on it.

If I'm not mistaken, I just think that when it's finished playing, if the battery has not run out, it will just play over again?

So would I want a Sleep Timer, I'm would think that is simple enough.

Just us 'Reset Scheduler' or 'Preset Reset' to reboot your Pre at a certain time.

Then the podcast would stop, your phone would reboot, the Pre would clear off any memory leaks, and you get to wake up with a refreshed Pre.

No need to brush it's teeth! (just a stupid funny included)

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

drnull,

I just happened across this thread, and am thrilled to see the app is heading to the catalog. I'll be sure to support it when it comes out! Also congrats on newborn! My wife and I just had our second (another boy) on 1/31. It's easier the second time around, as we've realized he's training us; not the other way around

Regards,
    Riz
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I've been using the new Dr. Podder HB version and have been a long time user of the former version. I listen to my podcasts in the car through a bluetooth enabled speakerphone with an FM transmitter (Moto T505). Works great and all of the controls (rw,ff,pause,play) work great.

Since upgrading, I have noticed that the player sometimes lags when I try to wake it up by hitting any of the controls, i.e. pause. This happens when the podcast has been playing for 10 minutes straight or so and the screen is in lock mode. Even if I try to hit any of the controls manually, the player takes a loooong time to even show the controls on the screen and even then it lags. Then, all of a sudden, you will see all of my attempted button pushes trigger, i.e. the pause/play button lights up five times in a row as if it is only now receiving the signals.

I hope I've explained this well enough for the OP to understand. I never had this problem with the former version and it has been happening with the new version fairly consistently. Any ideas why this is happening?
    DrN, For me, the auto download feature sometimes stops working -setting remains ON but auto downloads don't occur. Auto downloads proceed well for a couple days and then stop - can't track to what happens or reproduce. Sorry.

Easy fix is just cycling that auto-download switch in the settings. Presently, I have DL over wifi only switched on too. My wifi signal is strong at both home and work so that's not the problem precisely (and I've successfully navigated between the two this morning without losing the autodownload functionality), but just thought I'd mention that. I'll monitor this a little more closely going forward and report any pattern I notice which might help you debug.

I should say that this would occassionally happen in the prior version, but seems more frequent since the HB update.

Thanks again. I'll reiterate that this is probably the most important non-standard app and incredibly useful in helping me get through my Boston commutes. I'm a proud donor several months back, but I'd be glad to support your development interest by buying the official version once you are in the Catalog.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Since upgrading, I have noticed that the player sometimes lags when I try to wake it up by hitting any of the controls, i.e. pause. This happens when the podcast has been playing for 10 minutes straight or so and the screen is in lock mode. Even if I try to hit any of the controls manually, the player takes a loooong time to even show the controls on the screen and even then it lags. Then, all of a sudden, you will see all of my attempted button pushes trigger, i.e. the pause/play button lights up five times in a row as if it is only now receiving the signals.
    Do you notice this after a reboot? Or is it only apparent after your Pre has been up for a few hours/days? Do you notice it more on certain podcasts more than others? (i.e., maybe the encoding of the .mp3 is more CPU intensive for some podcasts)

Media playback on webOS has always made the device laggy for me. Even the built-in music player and Pandora. I'm sure drPodder isn't the best on memory management, but I have the feeling that it's not all my fault... I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that audio playback gets the higher priority (you wouldn't want the audio jumping and skipping would you?) while the GUI update code runs at a much lower priority. I'm talking webOS code here, not drPodder. User-level we have no control over what gets priority.

Any time an app pops up a notification (navigation, music player, pandora) I notice significant lag. Especially if music is playing (if any program is playing music, not just drPodder). Similarly, I notice lag when the bottom buttons are coming up in any app, not just drPodder.

Hopefully we will just see these issues start going away in future version of webOS.

Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    DrN, For me, the auto download feature sometimes stops working -setting remains ON but auto downloads don't occur. Auto downloads proceed well for a couple days and then stop - can't track to what happens or reproduce. Sorry.

Easy fix is just cycling that auto-download switch in the settings. Presently, I have DL over wifi only switched on too. My wifi signal is strong at both home and work so that's not the problem precisely (and I've successfully navigated between the two this morning without losing the autodownload functionality), but just thought I'd mention that. I'll monitor this a little more closely going forward and report any pattern I notice which might help you debug.

I should say that this would occassionally happen in the prior version, but seems more frequent since the HB update.
    Argh, that's unfortunate, I'm not sure what would cause this to happen. I assume the alarm that drPodder sets is failing, but I'm not sure why it would fail. I'm sure (as you noted) it has nothing to do with the WiFi only setting.

Basically, when the alarm goes off, the first thing drPodder does is set another alarm. Then it goes on its merry way updating feeds. I seem to remember Twee having a similar issue and when I talked to the dev, he couldn't narrow down why it happens.

EDIT: Whoops, just noticed that in the code, it updates feeds and then sets another alarm. I'll flip the order on those and hopefully it will fix the problem.

Thanks again. I'll reiterate that this is probably the most important non-standard app and incredibly useful in helping me get through my Boston commutes. I'm a proud donor several months back, but I'd be glad to support your development interest by buying the official version once you are in the Catalog.
    Thanks for that, and I do appreciate all the donations received over the past few months. I hope that putting it in the catalog for $1 doesn't trivialize the very generous donations that so many of you have given. And, of course, it will always be updated here in PreCentral as well - as long as Palm doesn't complain.
    I have no problem with $1 charge and I am one of the people who sent you $5 before. I will still pay $1 for it when it hits the App Catalog with no complaints. You deserve every dollar for the great work you have done.

This is the one app keeps me from even thinking of switching to another Smart Phone (not that I don't generally prefer the Pre).

Thanks again for the great work.
    EDIT: Whoops, just noticed that in the code, it updates feeds and then sets another alarm. I'll flip the order on those and hopefully it will fix the problem.
    Interesting. I would definitely say that I may have had feed update fails (going out of Wifi when leaving home, or just in the wrong part of the house. So this would seem to be the issue. Once you update, I'll keep you posted if I see this again.

Thanks for that, and I do appreciate all the donations received over the past few months. I hope that putting it in the catalog for $1 doesn't trivialize the very generous donations that so many of you have given. And, of course, it will always be updated here in PreCentral as well - as long as Palm doesn't complain.
    I was thinking more like $5 to be more in the range based on how well it works and the 'service' it performs. Maybe I'm just a generous guy though. I know there are folks here who live by the motto "Free apps or Die" so I hope I don't get flamed for the suggestion, but I for one would be fine if you bumped up your target pricing. Unfortunately at this point, you're going to be too late to the game to win the prizes.
    Thanks for that, and I do appreciate all the donations received over the past few months. I hope that putting it in the catalog for $1 doesn't trivialize the very generous donations that so many of you have given.
    That's very good natured of you to even consider that point. Just one donor's opinion here, but it wouldn't bother me at all. To me, kicking a few bucks your way was just a way of saying thank you for jumping on this project so quickly despite the myriad uncertainties surrounding the Pre, WebOS, and Palm in general. I never really thought of that money as paying for the app itself.

Now how about finally getting me a way to set my "once every 24 hours" updates to run at 4:30 in the morning without me actually having to be awake at 4:30 in the morning once to set it.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    You are only going to charge a $1 for drPodder, come on that is way too expensive! You can't do that to us!

What's wrong with you!

You better set it at $5!

I was being funny there, a $1 is way too little for what this does compared to the other apps out there.

We were doing $5 for donations and nobody complained about that. So keep it at $5, we are not Apple, so it doesn't have to be this 99 cent thing.

And remember, Palm is taking a cut out the profits. That would make you only 70 cents for each sale.

You've done so much for all of us.

If anyone here objects to $5, they are just cheap or have very limited income.

Just don't charge $1... go a little bit higher!

Rob - long time supporter!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Dr, I have a question:

I have been having a problem with audio. I doubt it is the drPodder app but with the player app.

It seems that the volume for me is too low to hear anything with headphones on. If I am in my house and it's very quite, it's OK. But once I'm outside or on the subway, I just can't hear anything.

I do have some hearing issues. But I would think that someone perfect hearing will still have trouble hearing the audio if there is the slightest bit of background noise.

Does anyone know how to modify the volume to boost it up a bit? Yes, I guess that would mean rooting and modifying some files.

Right now, the way I listen to it, is I have a bluetooth external speaker that I use and it can go a little louder than the built in external speaker. The rear speaker that is.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

1 dollar and get more downloads. Great news thabks!
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Do you notice this after a reboot? Or is it only apparent after your Pre has been up for a few hours/days? Do you notice it more on certain podcasts more than others? (i.e., maybe the encoding of the .mp3 is more CPU intensive for some podcasts)

Media playback on webOS has always made the device laggy for me. Even the built-in music player and Pandora. I'm sure drPodder isn't the best on memory management, but I have the feeling that it's not all my fault... I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that audio playback gets the higher priority (you wouldn't want the audio jumping and skipping would you?) while the GUI update code runs at a much lower priority. I'm talking webOS code here, not drPodder. User-level we have no control over what gets priority.

Any time an app pops up a notification (navigation, music player, pandora) I notice significant lag. Especially if music is playing (if any program is playing music, not just drPodder). Similarly, I notice lag when the bottom buttons are coming up in any app, not just drPodder.

Hopefully we will just see these issues start going away in future version of webOS.
    Dr. Null,

I've had my Pre since August and have become quite familiar with it and I monitor quite closely whenever I add something new to the Pre. I am also a creature of habit so my podcasts have been the same for quite a while and the way I listen to them has never changed. I can safely say that the lag problem I've recently noticed started as soon as I switched to the HB version. After your post, I reverted back to the old version and drove in to work this morning using the old version and I had no lag and no missed button presses. For me, the old version seems more stable for some reason.

Not sure where you go from here but it would be interesting to hear from others if they have noticed the same sort of problem.

Also, I must also state that I will have to remain on the old version for now regardless as we in Canada still don't have access to paid apps. So although I believe this app to be worth way more than $1, I will no longer be able to update through the catalog.

I know you intend to keep an updated version at Precentral but you may want to check out the thread for pReader. The developer there, Jappus, was maintaining both the Precentral version and a App Catalog version and he ran into lots of problems and ultimately decided to drop the Precentral version and go strictly with the App Catalog version to avoid install and update problems.
    Thank you for the app, drNull! I recently changed jobs to one with a long commute, and without drPodder it probably wouldn't be bearable! I will definitely watch for it in the App Catalog. I laugh at my iPhone-toting buddies when they tell me they have to download their podcasts to their PCs and sync them to their phones using iTunes. Sux to be them!

Please consider this for your enhancements list: In the fair state of Colorado (among others) it is illegal to text and drive, and that includes any phone-based activity other than making phone calls. I have some podcasts that are quite short, like 5-10 minutes, and it would sure be nice if there was an option to have drPodder load the next podcast in a series once the previous one ended. That way I wouldn't have to do it myself (and thus break the law) every time my podcast ends.

This app rocks!
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    @monkeydog You can create a Dynamic Playlist and it will play them all in a row. Just click the + in the bottom left of the app and select "Dynamic Playlist...".

you can even create one just for commutes.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    We were doing $5 for donations and nobody complained about that. So keep it at $5, we are not Apple, so it doesn't have to be this 99 cent thing.
    Just don't charge $1... go a little bit higher!
    Thanks for the support (from everybody), I appreciate it. Here's the thing. I made drPodder primarily for ME. I get a good reward out of using it myself. There aren't a ton of features that I've added just for other people. While I don't mind making a small profit on drPodder, it's not something I expect to get rich doing. Additionally, webOS needs a good podcast player. I'd like to just give it away so that webOS would be an even more attractive platform. I'm not real excited about some of the webOS news we've seen coming from the financial pundits recently. I know some of those guys don't have a clue, but I also know that the technoratti aren't talking about webOS much. They're all focused on Android and Microsoft Mobile Platform Windows Phone 7 Series Release Candidate Beta 1 whatever it's called. I'm not so egotistical as to think that drPodder will make a dent, but I also don't want to go pricing it so high that regular joe's would avoid it. I've heard from more than one person that they had never listened to podcasts in the past, and drPodder got them hooked on it. I even heard an email on BOL that mentioned drPodder and webOS. That's good publicity (for me and Palm both). I'd like to get that good publicity out there as much as possible.

So to those who feel $1 will be too little... I'll leave the donate button around (and thank you again for all who have already donated!)
    To those who feel $1 is just right, great! We're all happy. Well, the above group isn't, but I think they'll get over it.
    If you feel it should be free, it's open source... go build it, package it, and install it, or install preware and it will be available there.

Man, I wish Microsoft had to convince people that their software was expensive enough.

Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    Now how about finally getting me a way to set my "once every 24 hours" updates to run at 4:30 in the morning without me actually having to be awake at 4:30 in the morning once to set it.
    Man, you're soooo NEEDY. I'll get that in the next release - gotta have some reason to get people to upgrade, right?

Unfortunately at this point, you're going to be too late to the game to win the prizes.
    I don't know, I like to think that if I were to get it submitted in the next week or so that I would have a nice download count after a few weeks that would rival other apps and get me up in the low 100's on the ranking. After all, the contest runs through May 31 and the top 221 paid apps will get a prize. That's a lot of apps when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    It seems that the volume for me is too low to hear anything with headphones on. If I am in my house and it's very quite, it's OK. But once I'm outside or on the subway, I just can't hear anything.
    I don't know of any way to boost the volume in software. I'm sure there's a way to do it through patching, but I don't know what that would be.

I can safely say that the lag problem I've recently noticed started as soon as I switched to the HB version. After your post, I reverted back to the old version and drove in to work this morning using the old version and I had no lag and no missed button presses. For me, the old version seems more stable for some reason.
    Thanks for explaining more, I understand now that you are presenting a very good test case and have tried eliminating variables on your end already. I hope this isn't the case, but it's possible that moving the application out of the com.palm.* namespace (as I did with the HB version) causes webOS to allocate fewer resources to the application. I will investigate this some more, as there haven't been that many changes to core functionality since the old version (0.4.8 or whatever).

Also, I must also state that I will have to remain on the old version for now regardless as we in Canada still don't have access to paid apps. So although I believe this app to be worth way more than $1, I will no longer be able to update through the catalog.

I know you intend to keep an updated version at Precentral but you may want to check out the thread for pReader. The developer there, Jappus, was maintaining both the Precentral version and a App Catalog version and he ran into lots of problems and ultimately decided to drop the Precentral version and go strictly with the App Catalog version to avoid install and update problems.
    You should still be able to update through preware. I've heard feedback from users elsewhere (Germany and UK come to mind) who mentioned this problem, which is why I'm committed to keeping it on PreCentral as well as the catalog.

I believe the problem that developers have had in the past is that they haven't kept the preware and catalog appid's different. I will have a com.drnull.drpodder-hb version that is released in preware (that's what 0.5.1 was). Additionally, there will be a com.drnull.drpodder version that will be released in the catalog (probably 0.5.3 once I get it submitted). I believe that will keep any of those issues seen by pReader away.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    Please consider this for your enhancements list: ... it would sure be nice if there was an option to have drPodder load the next podcast in a series once the previous one ended.
    Hey, you can do that already! Yipiee! Just tap the feed title in the episode list screen. From there you can choose "Play from Bottom" or "Play from Top". With minor exceptions (people have reported that sometimes it won't move to the next episode when the screen is off, but that works fine for me... ) this will take you through the episodes you see. This works in playlists as well.

Note, this feature only works for audio podcasts. Currently there's no way for me to know when a video podcast ends. That will come in a future release.
    I would also pay $5. After the last update, I was thinking about sending another $5 anyway.
    @monkeydog,
    wormdood's tip on the dynamic list is helpful for grouping episodes from different podacsts into a single list. There's a second feature that also addresses what you seem to be asking about. Maybe you're already aware of this, but if not...

When you're in an episode list, tapping the title bar exposes a menu with options to "Play from Top" and "Play from Bottom." Tapping one of those will play all of the episodes in that list without you having to interact with the device between episodes.

This works with both Dynamic playlists and individual feed playlists.

EDIT: Oops, looks like drNull was already answering this. Sorry for the duplication.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre