View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 68 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1858636465666768697071727378 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    drnull, did I mention I am enjoying the new graphics that illustrate how many podcasts I have on a given feed? Fun!
    Haha, we'll chalk that up to lack of documentation. You're talking about that box to the right of the feed name, right? The one with a # for downloaded, new, and paused? That's been there for a while, but can be disabled (to only show the number of new podcasts). I think it's been that way since ... oh, forever. In 0.3.5 (I think) I added the option in preferences to "Show Feed Details", which did the default (all 3 #'s) if it was ON and if turned OFF, the only number displayed is the number of new episodes.

Anyway, glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    Partition definitely wasn't full. I'm on 1.3.5.1. As soon as I deleted the old drpodder, the feeds started working without difficulty. Don't know why, but everything is fine now. Thank you for the app that allowed me to cancel my XM Radio account!!
    That's officially very strange. No idea what could have cause that problem but glad it's working now.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update with the cool new features. If possible I'd like to add a feature request before it hits the Apps Catalog, namely add an optional Sleep Timer. So users can set a specific time (e.g. 10 or 15 minutes) after which drPodder stops playing a podcast automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Haha, we'll chalk that up to lack of documentation. You're talking about that box to the right of the feed name, right? The one with a # for downloaded, new, and paused? That's been there for a while, but can be disabled (to only show the number of new podcasts). I think it's been that way since ... oh, forever. In 0.3.5 (I think) I added the option in preferences to "Show Feed Details", which did the default (all 3 #'s) if it was ON and if turned OFF, the only number displayed is the number of new episodes.

Anyway, glad you like it.
    Oops......guess if I'd played around with settings a little more I might have known that. Heh. Still like it though.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by STBXXL View Post
    Thanks for the update with the cool new features. If possible I'd like to add a feature request before it hits the Apps Catalog, namely add an optional Sleep Timer. So users can set a specific time (e.g. 10 or 15 minutes) after which drPodder stops playing a podcast automatically.
    I don't really understand the motivation for this request. I mean, podcasts aren't music, they're content. So why would you want it playing if you aren't actively listening to it? Do people really fall asleep to podcasts?

Additionally, how should the timer be reset? Does the 15 minute clock just restart every time the app becomes active? Wouldn't this be annoying then when you are driving and listening to a podcast? I understand that it's an optional sleep timer, but it just seems like it would be more frustrating than useful.

Convince me, give me some more usage examples/motivation for the feature. I'll put it on the todo list then.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I don't really understand the motivation for this request. I mean, podcasts aren't music, they're content. So why would you want it playing if you aren't actively listening to it? Do people really fall asleep to podcasts?

Additionally, how should the timer be reset? Does the 15 minute clock just restart every time the app becomes active? Wouldn't this be annoying then when you are driving and listening to a podcast? I understand that it's an optional sleep timer, but it just seems like it would be more frustrating than useful.

Convince me, give me some more usage examples/motivation for the feature. I'll put it on the todo list then.
    I do listen to podcasts when I go to bed. At some point I will fall asleep and I'd like to listen to the rest of the podcast the next day. So in the old days (on my Treo 755p using Pocket Tunes) I set a sleep timer (e.g. to 5 minutes) and just started the player again if the 5 minutes where over and I was still awake. The next morning I picked up again where the player had stopped. I don't mind turning of the sleep timer function manually. If done right it's only a few taps away.

Hope this is convincing enough
    I certainly would use a sleep timer function. I chose to give up cable and the TV in my room, as a result I often listen to podcasts at night like I would TV. As a result a sleep timer would let me drift off to the podcast while being able to pick it back up at roughly the same spot. If I'm still awake after the sleep timer finishes I can start playing it again.

I know it sounds like a limited use case, but if it isn't too hard to implement it certainly could be handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeta View Post
    I know it sounds like a limited use case, but if it isn't too hard to implement it certainly could be handy.
    Me too. I'm often sleepy while listening to Engadget or BOL while driving myself home, and this feature would allow me to find my place after I run off the road!!!

Ok, just kidding of course. But to be serious, it's not the worst app feature suggestion I've seen in the forums these last 9 months.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Me too. I'm often sleepy while listening to Engadget or BOL while driving myself home, and this feature would allow me to find my place after I run off the road!!!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dbeta View Post
    I certainly would use a sleep timer function. I chose to give up cable and the TV in my room, as a result I often listen to podcasts at night like I would TV. As a result a sleep timer would let me drift off to the podcast while being able to pick it back up at roughly the same spot. If I'm still awake after the sleep timer finishes I can start playing it again.

You're right, it shouldn't be too hard to implement. Back to how it works, though: One thing that will be really frustrating (in my opinion) is that even if you have your Pre out doing other things (surfing the web, catching up on email, [suck it, iPhone]), while drPodder is playing a podcast, then those things won't appear to be "activity", and drPodder will think you've gone to sleep. Seems like that will be really frustrating.

Oh, this would be all webOS-ie. How about if it pops up a notification and says "Hey, drPodder thinks you are asleep and will stop playing your podcast in 1 minute unless you can answer this tricky math puzzle"? Well, obviously, not that, but you get the idea. Now, should this notification vibrate when it comes up? I'd hate to wake you if you had blissfully dozed off while listening (I'm imagining tip-toeing out of the room after laying my 3-week old down to sleep here), but on the other hand, I want you to know that I think you are asleep.

Thoughts?
    I don't see the point of a sleep timer either. If you fell as sleep then rewind it when you wake up. I would like to see Podcasts icons in a grid view as an alternative option. Also, it would be nice if there was an option to display only the last 10, 20, 30.... shows of each podcast instead of pulling all of them which can take forever for podcasts that query all of their shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I don't see the point of a sleep timer either. If you fell as sleep then rewind it when you wake up. I would like to see Podcasts icons in a grid view as an alternative option. Also, it would be nice if there was an option to display only the last 10, 20, 30.... shows of each podcast instead of pulling all of them which can take forever for podcasts that query all of their shows.
    The problem with the 'rewind' approach you mention is that many of us use "Delete when finished" setting which deletes the attachment at the end of playback. In this case, the snoozers are truly losers (I'm on a roll today) as they'll have to re-download the podcast and then navigate back to what they last remember hearing.

I probably wouldn't use this feature myself - I'd much rather have a sleep timer on Music Remix than DrPodder. But I would say if this feature is added, it should be a completely optional feature. Maybe even a "set-and-forget when needed" implementation where a user would have to 'engage' sleep timer manually when a podcast is playing. (maybe an on-scrren button or a 'top-left swipe' chooseable setting) Then once the time runs out (and they miss a last-ditch pop-up to extend play by 10 minutes), the sleep timer would default back to off again for the next playback. This is the way most TV sleep timers work. (The sleep timer on the TV doesn't engage every time I turn on the set.... it only engages when I press the sleep button on the remote.)
    So finally (as of 1.3.5) ......So that means that this is a new application, not an upgrade to the existing app.

You can continue using these apps side-by-side, which will be convenient since there's no way to upgrade from one to the other. The upgrade functionality that I am using isn't available in yet in webOS,

I hope to be a little more responsive to bugfix requests. When my new 2 week-old isn't vying for my attention, anyways.
    Props and congrats on both the new little one & new App! I use this APP more than any other APP on my Pre, my short commute would not be the same w/out my TWIT,BOL, or BILL HANDEL Fixes.

When I had to replace my Pre ( due to my little one dropping it) I was anxious most to get my dr.podder & netcast functionality back.

A great App and must have for the PRE.
    why not give an option to turn the sleeper on in the preferances?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    why not give an option to turn the sleeper on in the preferances?
    I think this (combined with greenawayj's suggestion of a set-and-forget) is what I'll put on the todo list.

There will be a preference for sleep timer with options OFF, 5 - 60 minutes (every 5). Additionally, when in playback mode, there will be a menu choice to turn on the sleep timer just for the current episode (with the same 5-60 minute choice). That will clear the current playlist and set the sleep timer without having to backout and go to preferences and change things. That should satisfy those who always want a sleep timer and those who just need it for the current listening session.

When the timer is about to shutdown playback (oh, a minute before), a dashboard notification will popup up that says
    "Sleep Timer"
    "Playback will pause in xx seconds"
    Tapping the notification will bring up drPodder (thus restarting the timer), throwing away the notification will restart the timer.

The timer will be started after the last time drPodder is active (screen is on and drPodder card is maximized).

No guarantees on when I'll get to it, but that's how the feature will work, I think.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I switched to Android several months ago and just wanted to stop back in and say how much I miss drPodder. Android may have thousands and thousands of apps, but there's no podcast player nearly as good as drPodder. It's the one app I miss the most. Keep up the good work.
    is there a way to watch video pocasts?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    is there a way to watch video pocasts?
    They should work mostly just fine. The functionality that doesn't work for video podcasts (yet):
    • Bookmarking
    • Delete when finished
    • Play from Top/Bottom

Mainly because I had off video playback to the default video player in webOS, and there's no way for me to know what location playback stopped at or tell it to start at a certain location.

If you are having problems with a video podcast, the format probably isn't compatible with webOS. Post a link and I'll look into it.
    well i listen to them steaight from drpodder, but ill try downloading them. i can hear the sound fine but its slows thr down the pre, and no video shwos up. its this one:

http://site.abc.go.com/abc/xml/podca...type\x3ditunes
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    well i listen to them steaight from drpodder, but ill try downloading them. i can hear the sound fine but its slows thr down the pre, and no video shwos up. its this one:

http://site.abc.go.com/abc/xml/podca...type\x3ditunes
    Something weird happened to that url, I think
    The Official LOST Podcast
    is what you were going for.

There's even a non-itunes typed podcast: The Official LOST Podcast

However, in both podcasts, the enclosure for the video episodes is listing the file type as audio/mpeg or x-audio/mp3. This is just broken. A podcatcher should be able to determine the type of file based on the "type" specified in the podcast xml. Please contact the producer of this feed and ask them to correctly identify the "type" for the enclosure.

Example:

<enclosure url="http://ll.media.abc.com/podcast/video/itunes/LOST_604_Podcast_Video_HD720p_6eaaaa73-35ca-4c1d-921a-1288c7d36aae_2732359.mp4" length="27747432" type="x-audio/mp3"/>
    and
    <enclosure url="http://ll.media.abc.com/podcast/video/itunes/LOST_604_Podcast_Video_HD720p_6eaaaa73-35ca-4c1d-921a-1288c7d36aae_2732359.mp4" length="27747432" type="audio/mpeg" />

In both cases, the type should be changed to "video/mp4".

Regardless, even if you could get these to download properly, I don't believe the Pre will be able to play them. 720p is a bit high of a resolution for these devices. (See: Video – Palm Developer Center)
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Is there any chance that the newest version has a memory leak? I never had this problem with the old version but if I leave drPodder open it sometimes seems to eat up all of my memory and then I get a notification that "Memory has become critically low...." My os basically becomes unresponsive at this point and it seems to get better if I am able to swipe DrPodder away.

I am also having an odd phenomenon where sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and my pre is HOT (like... almost too hot to touch) and has run the battery down even though it's plugged into the charger. I'm not sure if this is from DrPodder but it has been the only app open the few times this has happened.

Any thoughts or similar symptoms? I'll also note that these problems started the same day I both got a replacement pre and downloaded the latest version of DrPodder. Love the app, regardless!!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Hi drnull,

Congrats on the new version and the prospects of going to the app catalog. Been using the app a long time now and you single handedly made me lose most of the iphone envy I had.

However, I am having a problem and it may be my database, may be the new version, etc but wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone is having a similar problem.

I swapped my phone to a new pre over the weekend. My previous one was runnig the previous version of Dr. Podder. This one is running the new Dr. Podder HB. I readded most of my feeds manaually (took this as an opportunity to clean ones I don't really listen to).

All of them worked fine besides one (GameTrailers.com - Video Reviews). It downloads the episode list and goes to download the files but almost immediately the yellow bar fills but the file never finishes. I have tried this with multiple episodes and deleted the feed and added it again. I am still having the problem. This feed was working fine on the previous version. Any ideas? Should I reinstall the app?

Thanks for all your hard work and I look forward to the launch on the App Catalog.