View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 6 of 118 FirstFirst 12345678910111656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Thanks for the compliments! I'll look into the slow scrolling, but it seems like once everything is loaded, the scrolling is fine. Do you notice it being slow after all of the feeds have finished updating as well? As mentioned above, converting to sqlite3 usage should decrease the load from saving to the depot.
    Unfortunately, I deleted a few, so I didn't do much scrolling, but it did seem to improve a bit as things loaded up. Sorry I couldn't provide better info.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I can't get it to accept the dignation mp3 feed (feed = Diggnation (MP3) )

Comes back with "error updating feed"

BTW - would love to be able to import an opml feed file.
    -mark

EDIT - GASP - more importantly, the engadget feeds don't work
    Engadget Mobile
    Engadget HD
    Engadget
    Ya that is so weird... I am trying the get the EngadgetHD and it loads but once you exit out of the program and come back it's gone?

Weird, sad
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loondog View Post
    another suggestion - provide the ability to delete podcasts from the pre. I know this may be asking a lot since there is no 'file browser' yet...just throwing it out there.
    You can download podcasts that this program has downloaded. You do that on the episode list page (if you tap the icon to the right of the episode name, you should get the option to delete it)

Quote Originally Posted by retrobits2 View Post
    One feature that I think would be great is to check for the existence of the file in the downloads folder before actually downloading -- if its there, just mark it as downloaded. This lets me listen to any mp3 (audio book etc) files I've got using this player just by linking to an podcast xml file with the correct names.
    Another way to implement this would just be to allow adding mp3s from the file system to an existing feed.
    I've heard this idea now from two different people. I can't promise that I'll consider putting it in. If I do, it will be a bit down the line. There is plenty of podcast playing functionality I need to focus on first before I allow this type of feature creep to get me off track, but really, thank you for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Great App. It works great for me with streaming. I start running into problems with downloading. I selected 6-8 to download. It worked for a while, then did a soft reset of the phone. (Short, like Orange+Sym+R).

Once the phone came back up, I reran PrePod. There were many episodes that showed as downloaded, but no file was stored. I haven't looked at the File API, so I don't know if there is an easy "file exists" test. Might be able to set a running flag in storage. If the app is crashed, this flag isn't cleared in cleanup and you would know to scan for rebuilding the DB. When it thinks something is downloaded, I can't delete and can't play or stream.

I uninstalled and cleaned out download directory. This reset everything, but I need to re-add my unique feeds.

While the Pre doesn't have cut and paste, it would be nice for the add new feed to be a sene, rather than a dialog. Here is why: I open a web page with the feed address. I go into PrePod to enter the new feed. Type part of it, because it is too long to remember. Swipe to jump back over to browser and remember the next part, swipe back and the dialog is closed. If it were a card, it would stay open.
    Huh, I thought I had that part fixed. Didn't consider rebooting, I only considered just opening/closing the program. Was it showing them as "downloading", not "downloaded"? I would like to add in an existence check, but the Pre File API is not very full featured. As is, I'm using functionality that is only available to com.palm applications (thus the application ID)

Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    To the Op/developer...any plans to do this officially through Palm? I'd be willing as I'm sure others to pay some $ ($1-$2) for your app through official channels. Thoughts?
    2 things, 1) Palm would not accept this application currently because it's named com.palm.*, if they ever fix their api to allow the functionality that I need, then sure. Additionally, this is extremely beta currently. 2) I'd like to keep this OSS/MIT licensed. If that jives with charging a buck on the store, then sure. I'd like to keep offering it here though.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
    OMG really a podcast player for the pre.... can you subscribe to podcasts from itunes?
    You can subscribe to any podcast that provides its feed in the RSS/XML format (hopefully!). The url should start with http://, not pcast:// or itunes:// or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Well shucks. Just spent the last hour looking up and adding podcasts and when I reopened the app all but one were gone. I should have read the entire thread because apparently this is a known issue. But, just so I'm sure, are they really gone? Or just lurking somewhere? I suspect they're gone but you never know.
    Very sorry about that, I will post to the first page indicating more clearly that this is very beta, and in particular, there is a feed saving problem (which I am making good progress on) and I hope to have fixed by Monday.

What I did was to launch the podcast .xml page, which just brings up the xml text. Then I swipe down to get the address dialog box at the top. Then I tap in that box and copy.
    I'll eventually be implementing what was suggested by someone else, changing the add feed dialog to be a full scene, instead of a dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by petewine View Post
    The only two homebrew apps I have been in need of were a tethering app and THIS. Keep it up, friend. I used this most of the day at work today (went through my battery twice :-p) and while half of that time was spent in frustration with the "beta nature" of the program, I still could not be happier you have created it. Looking forward to 0.2.4!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by webfusion5 View Post
    Great app! Nice job!

When you go the list of podcast episodes, I think either you should not be able to view the detail (where it shows the slider) untill you download it or you should be able to download the episode on that screen. The second option makes more sense. Also a percentage of total bytes that have downloaded.
    Thanks again for the compliments, guys. I'm glad this is useful for you. I use it daily, so I saw no harm in making it available for others. webfusion5, I really need to hook up the download button on that episode details page. I'll probably move it to the app menu so the playback buttons have more room (for +/-15 seconds and +/- 60 seconds instead of just one +/- 30 seconds as it is now)

Quote Originally Posted by MrEricM View Post
    Here is one suggestion (Among Many):
    Add the ability to import OMPL files, or just a text file with RSS feeds, because typing them all in manually isn't fun!
    Thanks, I agree that it's annoying to type them in for sure. Being the developer, I just added all my feeds to the default sources, so I never got frustrated with that part, but I understand your pain. I hope to import/export functionality within the next few weeks. Export would just be email, as saving files ... well, I'm not sure if that's doable.
    This is like the 2nd coming of jesus! Please add a donate link...will be more than happy to help with the development of this amazing app...truly a lifesaver. Thanks a ton!
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

What I did was to launch the podcast .xml page, which just brings up the xml text. Then I swipe down to get the address dialog box at the top. Then I tap in that box and copy.
    +1

Thanks for that idea- it works great.

Here's what I do:

1) Click on the orange RSS icon for the podcast wanted.
    2) It brings up the .xml page with text only.
    3) Swipe down to get the address dialog box at top.
    4) Tap in the dialog box and copy the highlighted URL.
    5) Paste URL in PrePod "Add Podcast XML Feed" dialog box.
    I have no idea how this works
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    I have no idea how this works
    Magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    Magic.
    Cool, cause i can do magic...
    Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    You can stay with the Depot storage. Just prefix the Depot name with "ext:" and it will, just as a SQLite DB, be created on the media partition with no limits.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Very sorry about that, I will post to the first page indicating more clearly that this is very beta, and in particular, there is a feed saving problem (which I am making good progress on) and I hope to have fixed by Monday.
    That's cool. I knew the risks when I took it. Thanks for your hard work!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    props for this
    OMG what an amazing app! Don't have to worry about playing podcast on the music player. I have to chime in for some additions. Can there be an auto download schedule and can you add the program to the notification bar so we can pause/play from any app. Thanks and can't wait to see the next update.
    Huh, I thought I had that part fixed. Didn't consider rebooting, I only considered just opening/closing the program. Was it showing them as "downloading", not "downloaded"? I would like to add in an existence check, but the Pre File API is not very full featured. As is, I'm using functionality that is only available to com.palm applications (thus the application ID)
    It was showing the episodes as downloaded, but the download was never started and no file was created. So it had a play icon, but the file duration was from 0:00 to 0:00.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 07/26/2009 at 09:52 PM.
    how do I listen to Bill Simmons podcasts?
    Ok figured it out, awesome App!
    ok this looks like something i can really use. very nice job. thank you.
    I updated the thread title to reflect your new version.

Thank you!

-Craig
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    So i have read through the thread a few times and can't remember if it was said/suggested to be able to exit out of the playing podcast and not have it STOP! Doing so would able to allow us to DL another podcast or just manage the app in general!
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
    This is the application I wanted to be able to write.

It works exactly the way I want or would expect it to. No Pre is complete without it. Can't say I disagree with the "A different name might serve you better" crowd, though.

Graphical glitch: If you have more than 100 new podcasts, the star icon gets pushed down to the next line. Add http://www.cyberears.com/podcasts/podcast_5042.xml if you need an example.

Also: you might want to disallow adding a podcast that already exists, or at least throwing an "Are you sure?" message if somebody tries it.

Again, thanks. Keep up the good coding and I'll be checking back to this thread frequently for application updates.
    Awesome start! but a few things to fix...

As a new user this is what I did:
    1. Tapped on Buzz Out loud.
    2. Tapped on an episode.
    3. Pressed Play.

Result? Nothing happened.

Episode 1026 and 1025 don't work.
    1026 After pressing it many times, it looks like it was downloaded, but it doesn't work (I think they do video on Fridays)
    1025 just doesn't wanna either download or play.
    So I tried 1024 and I can see it downloading and playing... weird...