View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 57 of 118 FirstFirst ... 747525354555657585960616267107 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    FEATURE REQUEST:
    Not sure if this in here as I didn't read through all 57 pages.
    I'd like a way to PAUSE a podcast quickly. It would be nice if it was a hardware button, but other then the silver one at the bottom, I'm not sure if other would be available.
    How about any TAP on the SCREEN will either pause or resume. Otherwise I have to turn on screen, wait for it to refresh, wait for the buttons to appear and then hit the small pause button.

Sound like a good or bad idea?
    The hardware button for that is the spacebar on the keyboard. If the screen is off, hit the spacebar twice (once to turn on the screen and then once to pause).
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Perfect, well the silver button with the keyboard closed would have been perfect but I suspect that it may not be an option.
    Thanks!!!
    I think I may have figured out what is causing drPodder to hang on the Loading Feeds screen. I have two paid feeds where I am passing username and password in the URL. These worked fine before the 1.3.1 update. Once I removed these feeds, the hanging stops.

Here is an example of one of the feeds:

'http://www.stephaniemiller.com/podcast.php?u=*******%40*****.com&p=64e7f270729a90c4'
    first: greatgreat app. thx.

ist it possible to add more "search directorys"? i would love to add some german directorys like podster.de and podcast.de

blue
    Well, as I mentioned before, I still can't get drPodder to work again after the version upgrade from Pre. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled - shutdown-reinstalled, uninstalled - shutdown - reinstalled via quickinstall, uninstalled-shutdown-removed battery-reinstalled battery-reinstalled program. You name it, it still doesn't work right. Yes, the program comes up. Yes it shows the feeds preloaded. However, I cannot add ANY additional feeds. When I do, it says it's updating the feeds and just sits there. I even let it sit like that all night, just in case it was just taking a long time to load them. I give up.

I loved the program, but apparently nobody is bothering to look into this problem.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Any response lately from drNull on the problems after 1.3.1? I use this app everyday and haven't been able to use it since. I did manage to get 1 of my main 3 feeds loaded, but the other 2 just sit on loading forever. I had to install MediaFly and use that for my other 2 feeds, although ironically I can't add the feed that works in drPodder to media fly and they don't have it, so I can't get that one. So between the 2 apps I can listen to what I need to, but would love to just get good old drPodder back up and running fully.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAlien View Post
    I loved the program, but apparently nobody is bothering to look into this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by tublecane View Post
    Any response lately from drNull on the problems after 1.3.1?
    Apparently you both missed my post:

Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Sorry, I have nothing better to add in to the 1.3.1 discussions. I had to do a webOS Dr and for some odd reason thought that the media partition would be left alone. Instead, I lost all my feeds and the .db file as well and had to add them back in.

I don't think I'm doing anything outside the norm in drPodder. I think that the reason so many databases are being corrupted is what I wrote in the following post, in which palm acknowledged that they were able to recreate the problem. They have yet to respond that it was fixed or any further details, though. Maybe we can bug Palm to get this issue fixed?

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...hp?f=16&t=1296

Development has stalled some, mainly because I have a new update that I've been working on, but I can't release it until the downloadManager bug is resolved.

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...php?f=9&t=1362
    I'd be glad to try to help anybody who is having issues, but just saying "It's broken why won't my feeds work" isn't going to cut it. Please narrow the problem down to a feed or set of feeds, then post the feed here. Then we can work together to find the problem.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Just as an aside, I gave "stitcher" radio a try and it too seems affected, buffers, but never plays. This appears to be a much bigger issue. I'm a big fan of drPodder, looking forward to Palm resolving the downloading issue.
    dr.null, any way to make this possible? thx.

Quote Originally Posted by bluescreen View Post

ist it possible to add more "search directorys"? i would love to add some german directorys like podster.de and podcast.de

blue
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    dr.null, any way to make this possible? thx.
    I've looked into this some. One of the ways that I've thought about doing this is to launch a browser inside of drPodder, and any time you click on a link that looks like a feed url, give a popup option to add the feed instead of loading it in the browser.

As far as podcast directories goes, if they don't provide an api that I can call programatically (like through http get requests), it's really difficult to parse a page and find the results from a search.
    Apparently you both missed my post:

I'd be glad to try to help anybody who is having issues, but just saying "It's broken why won't my feeds work" isn't going to cut it. Please narrow the problem down to a feed or set of feeds, then post the feed here. Then we can work together to find the problem.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Here's one example. It's a podcast that I had before I tried the "uniinstall/reinstall" options I've listed. Of course, since that happened I can't add it back in. That's the problem. It just keeps saying "updating feed".

wpgb.com/podcast/quinn.xml

Again, this feed worked previous to the 1.3.1 update caused the original problem. I hope this helps. If you can help me fix this problem, I would be EXTREMELY thankful.

Sorry if I seemed a bit nasty in my last post. I'm just very frustrated with the Pre right now and took it out on you. Shouldn't have done that. There's just so much this phone could do if Palm got their heads together.
    thx for your quick and detailed aswer drnull.

blue
    I've looked into this some. One of the ways that I've thought about doing this is to launch a browser inside of drPodder, and any time you click on a link that looks like a feed url, give a popup option to add the feed instead of loading it in the browser.

As far as podcast directories goes, if they don't provide an api that I can call programatically (like through http get requests), it's really difficult to parse a page and find the results from a search.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    It looks like I spoke too soon. App still doesnt work well for me. If i try and open it in hangs on loading feeds. If I let it run all night the program still hangs but I will get notifications saying it downloaded various podcasts. If i close the card and reopen it opens up. I've only got this to work over night. Leaving the app open for only a few hours in the day doesn't get the same result. I have tried removing some of my larger podcasts and same issue. This was a working config for several months prior to 1.3.1.

I would be glad to assist in fixing the issue just let me know what you need me to do.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Here's one example.
    wpgb.com/podcast/quinn.xml
    Thanks for the url!

So this looks like a problem with the memory management on 1.3.1. Palm has changed something about memory management (you can find numerous threads on the developer forums over at palm about this). There's two possible solutions:
    1. Contact the owner of that podcast and ask them to not use the podcast as a archive of all shows ever produced (seriously, there are like 2000 episodes in that podcast, who is EVER going to listen to that?)
    2. Wait for the next version of the program, which isn't going to come out until next WebOS update (i.e., 1.3.2 or whatever). I'm not sure how I'll fix this particular problem, but I can at least take a stab at it.

The next version of drPodder isn't coming out until Palm fixes the downloadmanager ticket bug in WebOS (which has been present since 1.2.1 - and which they knew about in early October). Also, Palm has to give developers the ability to resize images. That used to be available through an extractfs mechanism, but Palm removed that ability from us in 1.3.1 and promised us something else, but they haven't delivered that "something else" yet.

I'm considering implementing a server-side component to drPodder that would take a feed url in and send the latest X number of episodes to drPodder. That way updates could occur faster and with much less memory use on the Pre. But I'm still mulling that possibility around, and I'm a little worried about putting an external dependency into drPodder. It would have to be a server that I know would have some serious guaranteed uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by pROvIs View Post
    It looks like I spoke too soon. App still doesnt work well for me. If i try and open it in hangs on loading feeds. If I let it run all night the program still hangs but I will get notifications saying it downloaded various podcasts. If i close the card and reopen it opens up. I've only got this to work over night. Leaving the app open for only a few hours in the day doesn't get the same result. I have tried removing some of my larger podcasts and same issue. This was a working config for several months prior to 1.3.1.
    Could you export your feeds as OPML (it will open up an email card) and email that to support@drpodder.com?

Thanks!
    Thanks for looking at it. Is there a way to limit the number DrPodder pulls? When I first put it in the older version, it worked fine but took me quite some time to delete all the historical ones. Perhaps something that just gets "The last 50" or something like that. Even that would be too many, but you get my drift.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I've also been having problems with drPodder, I've deleted and reinstallled and its still not working. I can add new feeds but I can't download them, I can stream them but I would prefer to be able to download and save them for later. Here are some of the feeds I've been using: http://www.talkzone.com/PodCast.asp?sid=653

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/feeds/itunes/podCast?id=2544457

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/feeds/itunes/podCast?id=3095454
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    So this looks like a problem with the memory management on 1.3.1. Palm has changed something about memory management (you can find numerous threads on the developer forums over at palm about this).
    Thanks for the update drnull, my copy has also started having problems. When I launch it, the program does not proceed past the splash screen. It just hangs. I will attempt an uninstall / reinstall and re-import my feeds.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    "1. Contact the owner of that podcast and ask them to not use the podcast as a archive of all shows ever produced (seriously, there are like 2000 episodes in that podcast, who is EVER going to listen to that?)"

Thanks drNull! I think this may be the cause of my problems. The most recent podcast that I added was the BBC Documentaries. It had well over a thousand episodes archived. I have deleted it from my feed list, and re-added just about all of my old podcasts and re-booted my Pre. It came up without a hitch. Here is the URL for that feed: 'http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/worldservice/docarchive/rss.xml'
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Thanks for looking at it. Is there a way to limit the number DrPodder pulls?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloSoldier63 View Post
    Thanks drNull! I think this may be the cause of my problems. The most recent podcast that I added was the BBC Documentaries. It had well over a thousand episodes archived.
    Yes, TheRealAlien, this is what I'm hoping to do in the next version. I found a Google feed api that will allow me to offload the feed processing out of the app itself. This will let me request only, say the 20 most recent episodes. This should fix some of the memory issues we're seeing.

Well, I think it will. There are some complexities (I can't send authorization-required feeds through the Google api, for instance). Anyways, as soon as I can get back around to drPodder (and Palm can get some of these serious WebOS issues resolved), we'll get another version out as soon as possible.