View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 54 of 118 FirstFirst ... 444495051525354555657585964104 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    I'm way in favor of hiding what drPodder downloads from the default player. Same reason as the previous poster... It's otherwise difficult to exclude podcasts from shuffled music. Can't really envision any scenario where it would be preferable to play them back there.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    I actually like having the podcasts show up in the music player (and Music Player Remix). One reason is that if I open up the music player looking for something to listen to, it's nice to be able to choose between my music and my podcasts. Also, I like that I'm able to pause from the screen lock without having to unlock first. I'm sure you can add this feature as well, but as I recall DanPLC said that feature uses an undocumented API, which could hurt your chances adding your app to the catalog anytime soon. That's of course, assuming you want to eventually move this to the App Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai mike View Post
    I actually like having the podcasts show up in the music player (and Music Player Remix). One reason is that if I open up the music player looking for something to listen to, it's nice to be able to choose between my music and my podcasts. Also, I like that I'm able to pause from the screen lock without having to unlock first. I'm sure you can add this feature as well, but as I recall DanPLC said that feature uses an undocumented API, which could hurt your chances adding your app to the catalog anytime soon. That's of course, assuming you want to eventually move this to the App Catalog.
    I did a search of this feature on the Palm Developer site and couldn't find it, so I assume it's undocumented.

Drnull, if you'd like more info on how to do add the controls to the "unlock" screen, let me know. The change itself is rather easy; however this is assuming you already have a dashboard stage with player controls on it. Adding that would require a bit more work.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I vote hiding them from the Music Player.

It harshes the mood when I go from Metallica to This American Life with no warning...
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    What if it was a feed preference? As in, on a per feed basis, decide whether the episodes will download to the hidden directory or the exposed one?
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    What if it was a feed preference? As in, on a per feed basis, decide whether the episodes will download to the hidden directory or the exposed one?
    That's a good idea. I could get behind that.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Yeah, I think the best option would be leave it up to user preference, if possible. Personally I'd prefer if it was a global option instead of enabling it on all my feeds but either way would be great.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I'd prefer to hide podcasts from the music player. Like others mentioned, I hate having podcasts show up when I hit shuffle play. And I like my podcasts all in one place and not in my music player. For me, having the ability to exclude podcasts from the music player would be a huge plus
    So I had DrPodder up and working flawlessly for some time now, had several show's downloaded and was working great. When I got up this morning all my podcasts were gone, as well as all the pre-downloaded content and the application was set to defaults. I didn't do anything that would of caused this. Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strex View Post
    So I had DrPodder up and working flawlessly for some time now, had several show's downloaded and was working great. When I got up this morning all my podcasts were gone, as well as all the pre-downloaded content and the application was set to defaults. I didn't do anything that would of caused this. Any ideas?
    Yes, this is a problem with WebOS where the database used by drPodder can get corrupted. I can link you back to a previous posting about this problem but there's nothing that can be done at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Sorry, there's nothing that can be done. When drPodder starts up and tries to load the database, WebOS will wipe out the database and recreate it if it finds that it is corrupted. The database corruption issue is a problem with WebOS, and I have worked up an example that illustrates the problem, and Palm has seen it recreated. They are working on a fix.

Forums webOS • View topic - db is corrupt, erasing

I can only suggest a few things that seem to lessen the frequency of the problem:
    - Don't throw away the drPodder card immediately after doing a refresh. Give it a minute (literally, like 60 seconds).
    - Don't throw away the "Updating Feed" notifications while drPodder is updating in the background, unless they have been hanging around for a few minutes.
    - Don't upgrade to a new version while drPodder is running.
    - Email yourself your feeds: App menu->OPML->Export via email. That way, you won't have to type all the url's back in if the db corruption bug hits you.

Sorry!
    drnull and danplc... First of all, I should begin by expressing the appropriate and deserved kudos and great appreciation for these essential apps you guys continue to develop and update.

Dr - best of luck with the new endeavor (nice to earn a living from what you do I suppose instead of relying on users of donation-ware appreciation). I know you are in super-slow-mo dev mode with DrPodder but I thought I'd share a new (I think) idea with you both and weigh in on a few other Dr Podder ideas previously mentioned.... I'm posting in both of you app thread since the the ideas would hopefully be of interest to both of you as well as your respective followers...

Anyway, the idea first...

Background: The last few days, I've found myself driving with Sprint Nav a lot and listening to Dr P podcasts (via Dr Podder not REMIX). I've really be annoyed that the podcast audio volume is lowered by Sprint Nav when the nice directions lady has something to say. I usually lose 15-20 seconds of podcast audio and it's almost always some relevant important point the guys / gals at BOL are making. I assume the same (lowering volume effect) would be true in Remix as well -- though less impactful since missing a few seconds of a song isn't so bad. So I found myself wanting to quickly pause playback when I knew I was nearing a turn or in a series of back-to-back turns over a series of a few minutes. Clearly, this can be done by turning on the Pre, changing apps to DrP, tapping the pause soft button, changing back to Nav so I can see where I'm going for the upcoming turns.... You see what I'm getting at.

Possible Solution: Can the center button be used while the screen is off while either DrPodder or Remix is playing?

(A more complex scenario is while the screen is on but another app is in focus front-and-center? I guess if the screen is on, there would be the issue of the button being changing the fosus to card view and vice versa...)

If the center butten action could be received by the app, then the center button be used as a play/pause toggle. The ability to quickly pause the playback with the center button would be great.

A likely issue associated with this request is device compatibility due to the Pixi not having a center button. Anyway, just an idea. I realized very quickly that the volume buttons work with the screen off so I thought the center buttom might as well. An alternative approach could be accomplished by pressing both volume buttons at the same time?

My current solution (once I recognized this as a problem) was to drive using my S9 HD headset and use the playback control buttons for this pause toggle, however I generally prefer to just drive with my regular bluetooth headset and it doesn't have playback control though I was happily surprised on getting my Pre to learn that it does receive non-call audio.

Other thoughts:

- +1 to hide podcasts (optionally) from Remix. Either by DrPodder placing the downloaded podcasts in a .folder location (as suggested above) or by DrP tagging downloaded podcast as genre = Podcast (is tagging on the fly even possible) and having REMIX enable an option to ignore Podcast Genre in Shuffle All (among other genres such as "spoken", "books", etc... ) .

- +1 Would love to see DrP playback controls 'notification bar' when the device is locked. Functionality already in Remix, but this would be very useful in DrP as well. (the next best solution to lack of hardware center button solution above)

dr / Dan-- I'll again recognize your need to work first and play later so I humblely submit these ideas for your respective considerations' with no expectations.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Maybe I'll do that in the next version. I figured on the next version, since I was going to change the way downloaded files were handled and require you to blow away your downloaded files anyways... I could go ahead and start storing files in a drPodder directory instead of a PrePod directory. Maybe I'll go ahead and name it .drPodder so that anything I download will be hidden from the media player apps.

Does anybody NOT want that to happen? (i.e., you actually like having media that is downloaded via drPodder available to the stock music and video players?)

And yes, it is hardcoded... I guess I could make it a configuration property. I'd rather not support that ability though.
    I know it'd be yet one more thing to support, but would love for it to be a feed option. (i.e. I subscribe to music podcasts and regular talk podcasts.. I never want my talk podcasts to show up in the music player.. but the music podcasts are actually the only music I store on my pre..)

Alternatively, if there was a way to copy a particular episode, that'd solve this problem as well. (i.e. from the feed screen, option to copy podcast to music)

-m
    Just wanted to give this a bump to see when we can look forward to another version of the Pre's best-app-ever.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Had a weird thing happen to me today w/ drpodder

It was downloading podcasts, but gave me an error that the download failed (the error message kept re-appearing after I dismissed it)

I threw away the card/restarted drpodder.. all my feeds were gone and I was back to the default feeds
    -mark
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by retsamhgiht View Post
    Just wanted to give this a bump to see when we can look forward to another version of the Pre's best-app-ever.
    Hopefully sometime shortly after the 1.3.x update, as some of the API's that I'm using just might be changing a little bit...

Plus, it would be really nice to get drPodder out of the com.palm domain and make it a normal app. Maybe that can all happen at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Had a weird thing happen to me today w/ drpodder

It was downloading podcasts, but gave me an error that the download failed (the error message kept re-appearing after I dismissed it)

I threw away the card/restarted drpodder.. all my feeds were gone and I was back to the default feeds
    -mark
    So drPodder was downloading lots of things, and all of a sudden, the downloads started failing for no reason?

I guess maybe when you threw the card away, drPodder was still in the process of writing to the database, and the way WebOS works, if the app is writing to the db when WebOS yanks the rug out, the db will get corrupted. The best advice I can give to keep this from happening is to just wait for a few seconds after everything has stopped processing in drPodder, then throw the card away.

That's the way I've been using it over the past few weeks and I don't have the problem anymore... Sorry.
    Sorry if this has been stated in the 54 pages already. But if I have a feed (IGN Daily Fix) video podcast stop working all of the sudden, and it errors saying
    "Download Aborted
    There was an error downloading url:http://www.yadayada yada.mp4"
    It means that it is having a problem following the Download redirection?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts

I guess maybe when you threw the card away, drPodder was still in the process of writing to the database, and the way WebOS works, if the app is writing to the db when WebOS yanks the rug out, the db will get corrupted. The best advice I can give to keep this from happening is to just wait for a few seconds after everything has stopped processing in drPodder, then throw the card away.

That's the way I've been using it over the past few weeks and I don't have the problem anymore... Sorry.
    It happened again while I was trying to load my feeds from the drpodder.xml file. I would load the feeds, go into the ALL playlist and mark all as old. The downloads would fail, and the message wouldn't go away. (if you click ok, it kept popping up the same message again..)

Finally my solution was to disable wifi (so that it doesn't try to auto-download), deleted the default feeds that kept popping up, re-importing the drpodder.xml, THEN marking all as old (I had to do this several times.. maybe it kept timing out? it'd get some but not all (i.e. if I refreshed, it'd show a bunch of new 'new' feeds different from the ones that I had marked as old before)/reenabled wifi.

(BTW - noticed the drpodder.xml doesn't import the dynamic playlists..)
    -mark
    ps - no need to appologize this is still THE killer app on the Pre.
    Last edited by diomark; 11/04/2009 at 10:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdv22 View Post
    Sorry if this has been stated in the 54 pages already. But if I have a feed (IGN Daily Fix) video podcast stop working all of the sudden, and it errors saying
    "Download Aborted
    There was an error downloading url:http://www.yadayada yada.mp4"
    It means that it is having a problem following the Download redirection?
    Thanks
    I'll have to look into that. Normally that just means that it couldn't find the file to download (maybe the url for that day was bad?) If it's happening with ALL of the episodes in that feed, then it might be the download redirection bug, yes. If you could post the url that you are using for IGN Daily Fix, that would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    It happened again while I was trying to load my feeds from the drpodder.xml file. I would load the feeds, go into the ALL playlist and mark all as old. The downloads would fail, and the message wouldn't go away. (if you click ok, it kept popping up the same message again..)
    Just so you know - it pops up an error for each file that fails to download. Maybe that's why it seems like it never goes away...
    url : IGN.com - Daily Fix (Video)
    When I add that link to my feed manager in Opera 10 it says
    IGN.com - Daily Fix(video) - it grabbed that from the above URL
    Once I click on any of the feeds, like yesterdays titled
    "Daily Fix Video Podcast: 11.03.09"
    Here is the body of that message:
    "
    The new POP trailer, new games in stores, and Apple looks to get into the TV market.

Article:
    IGN: Daily Fix Video Podcast: 11.03.09
    Download:
    http://www.pheedo.com/e/9d20663cda0d...110309_med.mp4
    "

I have said it before but it is definitly worth saying again. Thank you, this is a great program.

If we could explore new podcasts like iTunes does, then I could finally get rid of iTunes all together. I only use that bloatware for finding podcasts, MediaMonkey for the rest.
    Last edited by jwdv22; 11/04/2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to say thanks
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I'll have to look into that. Normally that just means that it couldn't find the file to download (maybe the url for that day was bad?) If it's happening with ALL of the episodes in that feed, then it might be the download redirection bug, yes. If you could post the url that you are using for IGN Daily Fix, that would be helpful.

Just so you know - it pops up an error for each file that fails to download. Maybe that's why it seems like it never goes away...
    I would have expected that so I actually paid attention, it kept repeating the same one
    -mark