View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 53 of 118 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    howstuffworks.com is redirecting requests from the Pre to the m.howstuffworks.com address. This is an issue that howstuffworks will hopefully resolve (I'll email them about it), but not something that I can resolve. There is also a bug in for Palm for them to address an issue that would allow drPodder to keep this from happening.
    Thanks for your help on that issue! Also, a feature request - in the future could we choose when our podcasts are auto-downloaded? For me it seems to default to 4pm EST. Is there already a way to do this?

Thanks again for a great app!
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    BTW - for those of you on the fence about this hack, do it. My Pre is just as slow to use while downloading without the hack as it is with. (BUT with the hack it takes ~2 minutes for a 200mb podcast, whereas before your pre would be slow for ~10 minutes downloading the same thing)

-mark
    Mark - Are the steps for this hack mentioned on another thread somewhere. I searched on "Browser download speed" and couldn't find a dedicated post -- clearly there were lots of hits on those words, just none that seemed to be what I was looking for...

Just to be clear, I'm very tech savvy, but no Linux or root access here. I'm totally comfortable though with the WebOS QI tools for pulling original files from the Pre, modding the files (after backing up) in Notepad++, and then uploading the files back to the pre via WebOS QI...

Is it possible this patch 'feature' could be streamlined into the Browser "Multi Mod" patch since it seems the streaming / download functionalities are related?

On that note, rather than continue to take the Dr Podder thread further off topic, I wanted to see if you could point me elsewhere where manual modding / patching instructions might already exist... or if not, could you possibly start another thread with your find - when you have time. I ask this in all humility and appreciation for your and others' efforts (and not to be a PITA uninformed newbee.) I'd do it myself, but I'm not comfortable instructing hundreds (thousands) of others to do somthing that might not be correct.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J Moe View Post
    Thanks for your help on that issue! Also, a feature request - in the future could we choose when our podcasts are auto-downloaded? For me it seems to default to 4pm EST. Is there already a way to do this?

Thanks again for a great app!
    In the main preferences, you can set the auto download options, including check frequency.
    I'm having trouble with authentication" keep getting an error message stating invalid username and/or password. I've deleted The feed and added it again with no success. Do you have any suggestions?

Also, will it he possible to implement vAriable speed control for the podcast, where I can listen to at double speed?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    In the main preferences, you can set the auto download options, including check frequency.
    Yeah, I could use that. I was thinking more along the lines of 'check every day at 4am', or something like that. I currently have it set to 'check every 24 hours' but I wasn't sure how to determine the exact time it would occur (hoped it would check in the early morning so my podcasts would be ready before I left for work). Thanks!
    -- Josh
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J Moe View Post
    Yeah, I could use that. I was thinking more along the lines of 'check every day at 4am', or something like that. I currently have it set to 'check every 24 hours' but I wasn't sure how to determine the exact time it would occur (hoped it would check in the early morning so my podcasts would be ready before I left for work). Thanks!
    -- Josh
    I think the 24 hours is from the last time you update. So, if you manually do an update at, say 5 am, then the next update will be at 5 am the next day.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    I think the 24 hours is from the last time you update. So, if you manually do an update at, say 5 am, then the next update will be at 5 am the next day.
    Ahh, actually it's from when you set the update. So if you were to get up at 5am one day and set the update to 24 hours, it would occur every day at 5am. Or you could set it to 12 hours at 5pm some day... I know, I need to update scheduling options. It's on the list of things to add.

Quote Originally Posted by geekychimera View Post
    I'm having trouble with authentication" keep getting an error message stating invalid username and/or password. I've deleted The feed and added it again with no success. Do you have any suggestions?

Also, will it he possible to implement vAriable speed control for the podcast, where I can listen to at double speed?
    Variable speed playback isn't supported in WebOS yet.

Could you Private Message me the url that you are trying to access using authentication? That error typically means exactly what it says, but I assume you've checked your username and password already.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Mark - Are the steps for this hack mentioned on another thread somewhere. I searched on "Browser download speed" and couldn't find a dedicated post -- clearly there were lots of hits on those words, just none that seemed to be what I was looking for...

Just to be clear, I'm very tech savvy, but no Linux or root access here. I'm totally comfortable though with the WebOS QI tools for pulling original files from the Pre, modding the files (after backing up) in Notepad++, and then uploading the files back to the pre via WebOS QI...

Is it possible this patch 'feature' could be streamlined into the Browser "Multi Mod" patch since it seems the streaming / download functionalities are related?

On that note, rather than continue to take the Dr Podder thread further off topic, I wanted to see if you could point me elsewhere where manual modding / patching instructions might already exist... or if not, could you possibly start another thread with your find - when you have time. I ask this in all humility and appreciation for your and others' efforts (and not to be a PITA uninformed newbee.) I'd do it myself, but I'm not comfortable instructing hundreds (thousands) of others to do somthing that might not be correct.
    I'll look into creating a patch for this.
    -m
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    OK - here's a patch - http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1990388

to apply, simply unzip this file then drag it to the WQIS window, then click install. You'll probably need to restart for this to take effect. (I don't know if restarting Luna by itself is enough, since the download manager is a seperate OS process.. to be safe, just reboot)

-mark
    ps - this is my first patch, so please let me know if it doesn't work. What it should do is create a new file /etc/palm/download.conf with the contents necessary to speedup downloads.
    Last edited by diomark; 10/21/2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Don't know if this has been mentioned (huge thread), but can you add the ability to schedule downloads? For example, I would prefer to update and download my feeds at, say, 2-4a.m. while my Pre is charging.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    The answer was just two postings ahead of your question, but I know what you mean about the huge thread. It took me days to get it all read when I first started on here.

---

"Ahh, actually it's from when you set the update. So if you were to get up at 5am one day and set the update to 24 hours, it would occur every day at 5am. Or you could set it to 12 hours at 5pm some day... I know, I need to update scheduling options. It's on the list of things to add." - drNull

Sue C
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I have a suggestion; I think the ability to make and label folders that appear on the app's homepage would be great. That way we can organize all our podcasts into folders we have made.
    @Clipse,
    I think what you're trying to do there can be accomplished with the existing Dynamic Playlists.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    I just want to say thanks to making my most used 3rd party app. Any news yet from the WebOS devs on reducing the interval for audio files? Many of the podcasts I listen to have commercials and the 30 second/1 minute FF buttons just don't work as advertised. I would simply love to not have to carry around my aging iPod for my audio needs. Last I heard one of the devs indicated that this may be fixed in the latest OS update, but obviously that's not the case.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Drnull,

So, I just had to run WebOSDoctor. Before doing that, I export my drpodder feed list via xml. I also copied all the downloaded podcasts from the Pre to my computer's desktop.

I reinstalled drpodder, then imported the xml file. Then, in USB mode, I copied all the old files back to the Prepod folder on the Pre. Unfortunately,
    drpodder didn't recognize the files as having been downloaded. Is there a way to make this happen?

It'd be nice to not have to re-download everything
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    I just want to say thanks to making my most used 3rd party app. Any news yet from the WebOS devs on reducing the interval for audio files? Many of the podcasts I listen to have commercials and the 30 second/1 minute FF buttons just don't work as advertised. I would simply love to not have to carry around my aging iPod for my audio needs. Last I heard one of the devs indicated that this may be fixed in the latest OS update, but obviously that's not the case.
    Sorry, there has been no response from the Palm developers on this problem being resolved. It's a little bit better in 1.2.1 (at least it seems to be), but still a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by psm9 View Post
    I reinstalled drpodder, then imported the xml file. Then, in USB mode, I copied all the old files back to the Prepod folder on the Pre. Unfortunately,
    drpodder didn't recognize the files as having been downloaded. Is there a way to make this happen?

It'd be nice to not have to re-download everything
    Hmm... that information is stored in the .db file. There's really no good way to recover that information now.

If you had asked me before, I would have said to make a backup of the .db file... Sorry!

I'd recommend trying the download speedup patch mentioned above by diomark for the redownload. You should have no trouble getting back everything you had overnight via wifi with that patch.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick reply. Good to know for next time I need to reset everything
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Forgive me for being slightly off-topic but is there any way to convince the Pre / Pre Music Player / Music Player Remix that a Podcast is not "music"? I find it annoying to have my collection on shuffle and happen upon a podcast.

Does the Pre identifies every MP3 file on board as "music".
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elight View Post
    Forgive me for being slightly off-topic but is there any way to convince the Pre / Pre Music Player / Music Player Remix that a Podcast is not "music"? I find it annoying to have my collection on shuffle and happen upon a podcast.

Does the Pre identifies every MP3 file on board as "music".
    Agreed. Hiding podcasts from other apps would be a nice feature.

edit] So you can hide it from the music player by renaming the folder .PrePod instead of Prepod but then DrPodder can't find your episodes. I can't figure out how to change where it looks for them (might be hardcoded) so I guess we'd need the option to be added by null.
    Last edited by gage006; 10/25/2009 at 03:34 AM.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Agreed. Hiding podcasts from other apps would be a nice feature.

edit] So you can hide it from the music player by renaming the folder .PrePod instead of Prepod but then DrPodder can't find your episodes. I can't figure out how to change where it looks for them (might be hardcoded) so I guess we'd need the option to be added by null.
    Maybe I'll do that in the next version. I figured on the next version, since I was going to change the way downloaded files were handled and require you to blow away your downloaded files anyways... I could go ahead and start storing files in a drPodder directory instead of a PrePod directory. Maybe I'll go ahead and name it .drPodder so that anything I download will be hidden from the media player apps.

Does anybody NOT want that to happen? (i.e., you actually like having media that is downloaded via drPodder available to the stock music and video players?)

And yes, it is hardcoded... I guess I could make it a configuration property. I'd rather not support that ability though.