View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 52 of 118 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mquiche View Post
    It seems that in 1.2.1 (and probably, 1.2.0), these settings have moved to /etc/palm/download.conf. (The settings in /etc/palm/luna.conf are ignored.)
    I'm running 1.2.1, and don't have a /etc/palm/download.conf file. (maybe that's what you get now w/ the webosdoctor?) The changes I have in /etc/palm/luna.conf are working through.
    -mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    diomark,
    When you set the download speed to unlimited, does the device become unresponsive while downloading, or can you still be doing stuff in other cards while that's happening?
    You can do stuff, it's just slow.
    -mark
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I've been around here long enough to know to re-read the OP once in an while on thread this old. If I'd done that, it wouldn't necessarily have fixed my corrupted download issue, but you wouldn't have needed to spend 3 minutes reviewing the color spectrum legend with me!
    Ha! Funny. No worries though. I wasn't doing anything important with those 3 minutes anyway.

So now that we're on the same page as far as what means what and which settings are where, are you still seeing a problem? It sounds like you have an episode showing the blue icon, but then attachment is of 0 length. If you want to let us know what feed it is, we could try it out and try to see whether the feed itself is wonky or if it's a drPodder bug.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I apologize ahead of time for this *really* long post.

Thanks for helping each other out guys... work has been terribly busy over the past month and I haven't had the time to keep up with this thread like I want, or keep up with development as much as I want.

I intend to keep updating drPodder and eventually get it in the catalog. Back before WebOS 1.2 was released, though, I began the transition from the com.palm namespace over to the com.drnull namespace so that I could actually submit the application to palm. Since then, I've found bugs in the downloadManager's handling of download tickets that would have kept deletions from working properly, so I've kinda put things on the back burner a bit until the bug in WebOS is solved.

In the mean time, Mediafly came out, and they approached me with an offer to take over development of the Mediafly WebOS app, so I figured I'd give it a whirl and see where things went. I'm under no obligation to stop development of drPodder. I'm not limited in any way as to what I decide to do with drPodder.

However, I see Mediafly as having the potential (potential will be the key word through all of this) to solve many issues that I have had with drPodder development.

Mediafly already has a great directory - this has been a major shortfall with drPodder, and I have never been interested in maintaining a directory.

Mediafly can store your list of podcasts online and keep a record of which ones are listened. The corrupted DB issues in drPodder have frustrated me a bit with WebOS's ... decidedly lack of robustness when it comes to the database. Additionally, subscribed podcasts can be controlled through a website.

What the current Mediafly app lacks in terms of UI goodness I think I can remedy. I look forward to adding dashboard controls to both drPodder and the Mediafly app to allow moving around in the application while controlling/continuing playback.

Mediafly also has some very interesting partners that will be fun to work with.

Additionally, there's the whole synchronization between all your devices that Mediafly promises. That seems very interesting as well.

A version has already been released in the app catalog (we're very early yet). While that version lacks much in the way of polish/functionality, I hope to eventually have that app at the same level of functionality as drPodder. I'm not exactly sure how it will all work out, but it should be a fun experiment.

Back to drPodder: Let me reiterate: I'm not abandoning drPodder. I loving working on it. Shoot, I still use it myself every day. I appreciate everybody's help with suggestions/debugging/donations/etc. This Mediafly project just seemed like something too fun to pass up.

As soon as WebOS gets the download ticket issue fixed (and I have some time to finalize things), I will be updating drPodder to transition to an app that can be submitted to palm. Since the app id will change, the database will have to be migrated. I will provide a script for you if you'd like to do this migration, or if you would rather start over with a clean copy, you can do this as well. Additionally, because the method for keeping track of downloads is changing, the script will direct you to delete all previously downloaded episodes.

Thanks again for your support, folks! I hope I don't lose that support with this additional project I'm taking on.
    I was actually installing Mediafly right now and looking at some of the podcasts that I added a while ago and man.... was it painful and redundant to finally play a podcast... I mean with DrPodder things are right there..! and in two taps I can listen to my podcasts. With Mediafly I have to take a tour and navigate through a maze to actually listen to what I want. I like the extra information in there, but I want simplicity too. I'm glad you are onboard drNull, because Mediafly needs your help a lot.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    Ha! Funny. No worries though. I wasn't doing anything important with those 3 minutes anyway.

So now that we're on the same page as far as what means what and which settings are where, are you still seeing a problem? It sounds like you have an episode showing the blue icon, but then attachment is of 0 length. If you want to let us know what feed it is, we could try it out and try to see whether the feed itself is wonky or if it's a drPodder bug.
    To me, the problem is minor and I really think it's an issue caused by interrupted (loss or signal maybe) downloads. But you described it exactly right ---

(1) blue play icon -- (2) correct transition to the episode play scene - and then (3) 0:00 length and (4) no actual playback (of course).

There are just a few minor occasions (once every 2 or 3 days, maybe 1 corrupted file for every 20 successful ones) where this has happened. They are all with various feeds from WEEI Boston sports talk radio interviews / segments. It's really not a big deal for me now that I know how to handle it by swiping the 'corrupted' download off the "View: New" feed scene and then go to "View: old" and re-download it since as "Old" it's showing the gray icon (deleted attachment). The reason I don't think it's a problem with the feed is that once I go back to re-download (could be up to several hours or days later), it does download fine. I suppose it could be a bad feed that get's fixed by the station in the interim time... who knows.

Next time this happens I'll go to my USB drive and see what the actual file looks like -- if it seems to be the proper size, file date, location, etc...

Thanks again for the interest.
    Dr. Podder is leaps and bounds beyond MediaFly in terms of practical functionality.I will be interested to see the evolution of these two apps side by side.
    I have played around with MediaFly twice now, and it is just too limited and too cumbersome to use at the present time.

In the end I just want an app that works. Right now for me, Dr. Podder fits the bill.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    So sorry to ask this question if its already been asked. All of a sudden I'm finding that podcasts i've been subscribed to for weeks will no longer download. I can stream them, but when I hit the download or update button, nothing happens.

Any help? Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubaruba View Post
    So sorry to ask this question if its already been asked. All of a sudden I'm finding that podcasts i've been subscribed to for weeks will no longer download. I can stream them, but when I hit the download or update button, nothing happens.

Any help? Please.
    No offense, but are you sure you haven't reached the default (or user-specified) download limit for these podcasts? That would cause them to fail to download more, even if you told them to update.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubaruba View Post

Any help? Please.
    What is the url for these podcasts? Is it just happening with some of your podcasts or all of them? Do you have plenty of room left on the Media portion of your Pre?
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Holy crap, grats Null on being brought on board with Mediafly. That program could DEFINITELY use your help, as the UI is complete garbage imo. Way too complicated to do simple things like add a podcast. It needs a makeover. Once they added that sync'ing between device things, I had a feeling I'd be moving over to that. Good to know you'll be over there too.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    DrPodder,

In regards to bluetooth controls - I wanted to mention that the controls are rock solid on my bh-905. (on my s9 hd's, sometimes they work, othertimes I have it press it twice.. works first time everytime w/ the nokia bh-905..) - so definately not something your app is doing.

Glad to see you on-board mediafly and looking forward to where it ends up I would *love* *love* *love* to see a quick preference option to only update when plugged in though - this is a major problem for me (because of the number of podcasts that I have/etc..)

-mark
    Happy to see you taking up on their offer! <wink>

I haven't used Mediafly that much because DrPodder does handle downloading to the Pre for off-line usage.

Remember, Mediafly needs to download for off-line usage. So if it is dependent on their webserver for the selection of our podcasts, this will not be what most of us will be using.

Its the off-line usage that made DrPodder so popular. Loose that and you loose your following of dedicated users!

So please make sure that Mediafly incorprates the best of both porducts.

Good Luck, I'm very happy for you!

Repeat after me 'off-line usage'!

Rob
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by azkevman View Post
    Dr. Podder is leaps and bounds beyond MediaFly in terms of practical functionality.I will be interested to see the evolution of these two apps side by side.
    I have played around with MediaFly twice now, and it is just too limited and too cumbersome to use at the present time.

In the end I just want an app that works. Right now for me, Dr. Podder fits the bill.

Agreed. I tried both. Mediafly was to slow and clunky. DrPodder is the best podcast catcher I've ever used, period.
    -m
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Happy to see you taking up on their offer! <wink>

I haven't used Mediafly that much because DrPodder does handle downloading to the Pre for off-line usage.

Remember, Mediafly needs to download for off-line usage. So if it is dependent on their webserver for the selection of our podcasts, this will not be what most of us will be using.

Its the off-line usage that made DrPodder so popular. Loose that and you loose your following of dedicated users!

So please make sure that Mediafly incorprates the best of both porducts.

Good Luck, I'm very happy for you!

Repeat after me 'off-line usage'!

Rob
    They'll get there. They allow podcast downloads on other platforms.
    -m
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Agreed. I tried both. Mediafly was to slow and clunky. DrPodder is the best podcast catcher I've ever used, period.
    -m
    I'd second that!
    Quick question - I'm having trouble adding the following podcast to this app: Stuff You Should Know ....has anyone been able to add this? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I must agree with Treorock... Mediafly was a bit klugie. I deleted it off my phone and use drPodder exclusively. drPodder is a far better app as far as user-friendly, ease of use, and navigation. So, I suppose what I am saying is "well done drNull".

If you get the chance, then please make Mediafly as wonderful as drPodder and maybe I'll try it again. Until then...its drPodder all the way
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J Moe View Post
    Quick question - I'm having trouble adding the following podcast to this app: Stuff You Should Know ....has anyone been able to add this? Thanks!
    howstuffworks.com is redirecting requests from the Pre to the m.howstuffworks.com address. This is an issue that howstuffworks will hopefully resolve (I'll email them about it), but not something that I can resolve. There is also a bug in for Palm for them to address an issue that would allow drPodder to keep this from happening.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I'm running 1.2.1, and don't have a /etc/palm/download.conf file. (maybe that's what you get now w/ the webosdoctor?) The changes I have in /etc/palm/luna.conf are working through.
    -mark

EDIT - actually was testing more, and I don't think they were. My downloads were going at a pokey 64kb/sec.

Running strings on LunaDownloadMgr shows that it does indeed look for /etc/palm/download.conf - but this file does *not* exist on my phone.

Code:
    root@castle:/etc/palm# strings /usr/bin/LunaDownloadMgr  | grep conf
    /etc/palm/download.conf
    I just moved the download related settings out of luna.conf and into a newly created file download.conf to see if it makes a difference. (EDIT - it does. putting those settings in download.conf restores download speed..)

Curious - where did you find the download.conf file switch?

BTW - for those of you on the fence about this hack, do it. My Pre is just as slow to use while downloading without the hack as it is with. (BUT with the hack it takes ~2 minutes for a 200mb podcast, whereas before your pre would be slow for ~10 minutes downloading the same thing)

-mark
    Last edited by diomark; 10/20/2009 at 04:14 PM.