View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 5 of 118 FirstFirst 123456789101555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Thank you so much this rocks
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Would in theory be faster anyways using sql3
    Totally. Ya know, this was down on the list to do, but now that depot is filling up with so few feeds added, looks like it just moved to the #1 most important thing to do. This is my weekend plans, converting depot to sqlite3.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This is a great application! Thanks so much for this one. I only have two criticisms: scrolling on the first page is pretty slow--too many icons in the list? And I think you should have kept the White Horse Inn in the prepopulated list!! I had to add it right back.
    Thanks for the compliments! I'll look into the slow scrolling, but it seems like once everything is loaded, the scrolling is fine. Do you notice it being slow after all of the feeds have finished updating as well? As mentioned above, converting to sqlite3 usage should decrease the load from saving to the depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Khidr View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a known issue or not, but all of my custom feeds were deleted on closing and reopening the app
    Yes, hopefully by Monday this will be resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    What I really would love to see in an app like this is a playlist type functionality. You would add a handful of podcasts to the playlist, then hit play and *if you haven't heard the latest one already* from each podcast, it would play them in succession.
    My idea (it may still be a distant goal, but I hope to get it in eventually) is to have an "Unlistened Favorites" link at the top of the FeedList page. It would take the unlistened (and bookmarked) episodes from feeds that you have starred as "favorites", and present them in a oldest to newest list for doing just that. Also, I plan on making the Feed details player move to the next most recent episode after one finishes.

I wasn't planning on any sort of playlist creation abilities outside of the above described. Do you think this would be sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    @drnull, thank you thank you thank you. put up a donations link. i know i'll donate. in the three weeks i've had my pre i've gone through setting up bashpoder in the linux shell as a cron job...

PS as you found out Last-Modified and ETag header in server responses are optional
    Thanks for the great info about headers! I'll look into using that to speed up server communication time. 2nd to db store time, that is the big lag right now. Funny, I submitted the instructions/modification for bashpodder and the media player bookmarking patch. Apparently the things that bugged me to death about what was lacking in the Pre bugged others too. Hope those mods helped you endure the wait till PrePod!

Quote Originally Posted by BMRbrnSNRbrd View Post
    Question: I'm not familiar with the whole iPod phenomenon and have never used a "podcast." However, I listen to Lex and Terry on a regular basis...I know they have a podcast...how do I get it? Thanks.
    Looks like Lex & Terry are here: Lex & Terry Online - Podcasts
    You would type the "Other RSS Readers" link into the "Add" dialog in PrePod to add them to the list of feeds.

Hrmph, except it seems they require a username and password for their feed. I really had no plans to implement authorized feed access, but I'll put it on the list.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Nice app, much appreciated!!
    Works great looking forward to video version.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    drnull,

Great app! This is exactly the one I have been waiting for since the Pre release. Like it has been said before, this will make it much easier to manipulate podcasts while driving. Much safer!

Edit: looks like you are already working on a sorting function...didn't read far enough
    Separating out feeds with new podcasts from ones that don't would be a big help.

another suggestion - provide the ability to delete podcasts from the pre. I know this may be asking a lot since there is no 'file browser' yet...just throwing it out there.

Keep up the good work!
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    Thanks so much for this player. Just what I wanted for podcasts.

One feature that I think would be great is to check for the existence of the file in the downloads folder before actually downloading -- if its there, just mark it as downloaded. This lets me listen to any mp3 (audio book etc) files I've got using this player just by linking to an podcast xml file with the correct names.

Another way to implement this would just be to allow adding mp3s from the file system to an existing feed.
    Great App. It works great for me with streaming. I start running into problems with downloading. I selected 6-8 to download. It worked for a while, then did a soft reset of the phone. (Short, like Orange+Sym+R).

Once the phone came back up, I reran PrePod. There were many episodes that showed as downloaded, but no file was stored. I haven't looked at the File API, so I don't know if there is an easy "file exists" test. Might be able to set a running flag in storage. If the app is crashed, this flag isn't cleared in cleanup and you would know to scan for rebuilding the DB. When it thinks something is downloaded, I can't delete and can't play or stream.

I uninstalled and cleaned out download directory. This reset everything, but I need to re-add my unique feeds.

While the Pre doesn't have cut and paste, it would be nice for the add new feed to be a sene, rather than a dialog. Here is why: I open a web page with the feed address. I go into PrePod to enter the new feed. Type part of it, because it is too long to remember. Swipe to jump back over to browser and remember the next part, swipe back and the dialog is closed. If it were a card, it would stay open.
    THANK YOU! I'm playing with it, and I'm very impressed!
    I beg you keep this app up! this is what I wanted to write myself, thanks for saving me the trouble! awsome, when its time to annie up cash on the APP Store your first!
    To the Op/developer...any plans to do this officially through Palm? I'd be willing as I'm sure others to pay some $ ($1-$2) for your app through official channels. Thoughts?
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    favorite app so far
    WOW! I was waiting for something like this for a while. Great work!
    OMG really a podcast player for the pre.... can you subscribe to podcasts from itunes?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Well shucks. Just spent the last hour looking up and adding podcasts and when I reopened the app all but one were gone. I should have read the entire thread because apparently this is a known issue. But, just so I'm sure, are they really gone? Or just lurking somewhere? I suspect they're gone but you never know.

Thanks for the app!

EDIT: Also, is there something I can do in the future to ensure the feeds are saved?

EDIT: Tried several more times and it won't save any more than the first one I added.
    Last edited by groovy; 07/25/2009 at 08:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    While the Pre doesn't have cut and paste, it would be nice for the add new feed to be a sene, rather than a dialog. Here is why: I open a web page with the feed address. I go into PrePod to enter the new feed. Type part of it, because it is too long to remember. Swipe to jump back over to browser and remember the next part, swipe back and the dialog is closed. If it were a card, it would stay open.
    +1

What I did was to launch the podcast .xml page, which just brings up the xml text. Then I swipe down to get the address dialog box at the top. Then I tap in that box and copy.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    This app rocks... I was reading up on it last night and couldn't wait to try it! Thanks very much!! Can't wait for future updates!
    The only two homebrew apps I have been in need of were a tethering app and THIS. Keep it up, friend. I used this most of the day at work today (went through my battery twice :-p) and while half of that time was spent in frustration with the "beta nature" of the program, I still could not be happier you have created it. Looking forward to 0.2.4!!!
    Great app! Nice job!

When you go the list of podcast episodes, I think either you should not be able to view the detail (where it shows the slider) untill you download it or you should be able to download the episode on that screen. The second option makes more sense. Also a percentage of total bytes that have downloaded.

Very cool other than that.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for this app. Once I got the Pre I had to carry around 2 devices so I can still had my iPod BUT lost OTA downloading as I had on my BB.

Thanks so much for this application, I will be keeping an eye on it for updates.

Here is one suggestion (Among Many):
    Add the ability to import OMPL files, or just a text file with RSS feeds, because typing them all in manually isn't fun!

Let me know when this is an official *paid* application too. I'll be your first customer!
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Hrmph, except it seems they require a username and password for their feed. I really had no plans to implement authorized feed access, but I'll put it on the list.
    Thank you very much for this application...
    Having the ability to enter a user name and password would be EXCELLENT !!
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money