View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 47 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3742434445464748495051525797 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    drNull,

I don't yet have a Pre - just waiting for this Treo 700p to die - but in anticipation I'd looked over the apps in the App Catalog and, not seeing a podcast client, decided that was a good excuse to cut my teeth on WebOS development.

After getting set up with the dev environment and diving in on the documentation, I had a pretty good idea of what it would take to put together a working prototype. The design was easy... I listen to podcasts an hour or two a day walking my dog and have dealt with the benefits and limitations of Kinoma for so long that I know *exactly* how the perfect podcast/smartphone client would work.

To augment what I was getting from the docs, I went looking for sample code. Found a few things on SourceForge but not what I was looking for so did some searches looking for more info on what it would take to handle streaming. Out of that, I stumbled upon a reference to drPodder.

At first glance, looked great - nice interface and, most importantly, option of either downloading or streaming (which is all I do unless I'll be out of cell phone range like in an airplane). Two key features in my design seemed to be missing, though. First, the ability to see a list of episodes that span subscriptions. The goal is to go to one place and see all the latest, unheard episodes without having to navigate a subscription/episode hierarchy. Second, the ability to plan every episode in that list.

As you don't yet have a user guide, it took exploring drPodder in the emulator to finally discover that BOTH of these features exist through the Dynamic Playlists feature and the Play All From Top or Bottom Feature.

Needless to say, you just RUINED my plans for feeding my coding Jones, at least to have what I'm looking for in a podcast player. THANK YOU! (I can now spend that time with my wife sailing or staying up late under the stars with our telescopes).

I do have a few things I'd like to suggest as features.
    * Regarding the requests to sort episodes, I can't give you an example off the top of my head but at one point I was listening to a podcast that was sorted by date in ascending order. Originally that was frustrating because all the others were in descending order though because some of the astronomy podcasts I listen to are date-specific and carry over from one day to the next, I ended up using Feedburner to create a custom version that produced the episodes in ascending order. Anyway, it's great to be able to have control over that.
    Your Play All From Top or Bottom feature for the post part addresses that need. However, it would be nice to have a setting for each feed that indicates the default play sequence so that instead of picking Play All and a direction, we can just select Play All.
    As I think about this in practice, the other implication is that in a case where one subscription is normally in ascending order by date and another is descending and both are in a Dynamic Playlist, having the playlist include episodes from each subscription in the specified default sequence would be nice. Of course, that's probably getting overly complex, too.
    * Dynamic Playlists are another place where sort sequence control would be nice but, really, it's more a matter of whether to group the episodes or not. Suggestion would be a setting per playlist for whether to group episodes by subscription or to not group and sort the entire list by date (either ascending or descending).
    * A per-feed setting for whether/when to update would be nice, though personally I'll probably have all feeds update automatically in the middle of the night.

Running short of time and this is already too long, so will close with another THANK YOU - I am really looking forward to purchasing a Pre and having this outstanding tool available.

Regards,
    Nate

PS. Best I can tell, there is nothing like this available for the iPhone (at least based on what my son who has one tells me). I think it is major deal to be able to stream podcasts on a smartphone and consider it broken that an iPhone user has to download all their podcasts to hear them (even though they can do that over the air).
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    I'll have to try grid view out sometime, that look nice.

For updating... I guess each feed should have the option to use the Default schedule, a custom schedule, or not update automatically at all?
    I think a do not update automatically at all should do it. Schedules would be nice, but not that necessary in my opinion, but who knows. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I don't listen to a whole lot of podcasts so I haven't messed with this extensively. It's seems great for what it does though. One issue I've had though: I'm not interested in any of the default feeds that are preloaded in the app, so I deleted them all. Problem is, when I open the app again later they're back! How do I get them to stay gone for good?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I'd find it very helpful to be able to just view the latest podcast from your feeds, or to be able to set a limit to the number of podcasts that get retrieved from feeds.

I added the NPR hourly newscast to my list and it gets hard to find anything else in the All playlist or in dynamic playlists. It would be nice if I could only show the latest podcast from that feed since I'm not really interested in any of the older ones.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    I don't listen to a whole lot of podcasts so I haven't messed with this extensively. It's seems great for what it does though. One issue I've had though: I'm not interested in any of the default feeds that are preloaded in the app, so I deleted them all. Problem is, when I open the app again later they're back! How do I get them to stay gone for good?
    If you add at least one new podcast, then the defaults won't come back. I have that fixed in the version I'm currently working on, but 0.4.8 still gives you all the default podcasts if there are no podcasts in the list.

Quote Originally Posted by bluon View Post
    I'd find it very helpful to be able to just view the latest podcast from your feeds, or to be able to set a limit to the number of podcasts that get retrieved from feeds.

I added the NPR hourly newscast to my list and it gets hard to find anything else in the All playlist or in dynamic playlists. It would be nice if I could only show the latest podcast from that feed since I'm not really interested in any of the older ones.
    If you mark episodes as new by doing one of the following actions:
    • Swipe the episode away in the list
    • Tap and hold the episode and select "Mark as Old"
    • Choose "Mark all as Old" from the menu in the Episode List

Then they will not show up if the view filter is set to "New". The view filter is the button on the bottom left in the Episode List view.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    If you mark episodes as new by doing one of the following actions:
    • Swipe the episode away in the list
    • Tap and hold the episode and select "Mark as Old"
    • Choose "Mark all as Old" from the menu in the Episode List

Then they will not show up if the view filter is set to "New". The view filter is the button on the bottom left in the Episode List view.
    The problem with that is you would have to do it every day. There are 3 podcasts a day on the NPR hourly news one, so you would have to keep marking several a day as old for them to stop showing up. That gets to be a lot of effort, especially when you go for several days without listening to anything. I could probalby use Yahoo Pipes to manage my own feeds, but having the features built in would be great
    Bug Report (sorry if reported, this thread is way long):

Playlist with podcasts where I select to keep only 1 newest doesn't work and actually persists 2 newest editions of each podcast. Here's how to replicate:

1. Subscribe to three podcasts. I personally did this with "NPR 7AM NEWS", "WSJ Tech News Briefing", and "WSJ What's News"; latter two at Podcasts - WSJ.com ). To make things more interesting, the last WSJ podcast changes show names from "This Morning" to "This Evening" with each download, but I don' t think that's the issue since I see that with podcasts that don't change names too.

2. With those podcasts, select the option Edit Feed > Keep at Most 1. (Auto download, Delete when finished both on).

(THe bug appears here. It keeps the TWO latest ones, even if I never listened to any.)

3. Create a playlist containing all three podcasts. In View, set to "Downloaded". This playlist will contain two episodes of each podcast, not one. Even if I never began to play any podcast, it will always have two.

My goal is to create one dynamic playlist with the latest episode of today's (or this hour's) news, without seeing any previous episodes.

Please let me know if I can help debug!
    I saw a note about drPodder not behaving with 1.2, but, from my testing, all is well. I tried both downloaded and connected podcasts with success. Interestingly enough, it seems like drPodder 'pops' more (the sound can be 'hot'), but that may be my ears looking for something to hear as being different.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Dr. Null - enhancement request. Now in 1.2, the system has the ability to "use music playback controls on the dashboard even if the screen is locked." Would be great to have this added.

Best app out there, btw.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    >> be able to set a limit to the number of podcasts that get retrieved from feeds.

Do you have NPR Hourly Newscast set to "keep at most 1", on the same screen where you enter the URL and title?

SueC56
    @drnull,

Now that Download Manager is official in 1.2, do you know if it supports resuming downloads and if it can be implemented in DrPodder. Having that would really put the icing on this already fine cake of an app
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    I'm having trouble with adding new feeds in 0.4.8. They'll get added to the main list but don't show up in the ALL section.
    so is this app working well with 1.2? still waiting on some feedback before i resume
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snrfn93 View Post
    Dr. Null - enhancement request. Now in 1.2, the system has the ability to "use music playback controls on the dashboard even if the screen is locked." Would be great to have this added.
    Hmm, first, I need to have a playback controls dashboard, which has been requested, and is on the list. Then I'll look into making it usable when the screen is locked. I hadn't even noticed the music player does that, pretty slick!

Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    Now that Download Manager is official in 1.2, do you know if it supports resuming downloads and if it can be implemented in DrPodder. Having that would really put the icing on this already fine cake of an app
    Honestly it doesn't look like they've changed the download capabilities at all from what was available already, so I don't think resuming downloads is possible yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I'm having trouble with adding new feeds in 0.4.8. They'll get added to the main list but don't show up in the ALL section.
    Any particular feed or does it not show up in the ALL list no matter what you add? And if you exit and come back in, are they still not there?

Is the problem maybe that the episodes are so old that they are way down the list?

If you could give me more details (feed url, for instance) I can look into this, but I've never seen or heard of this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    The list called ALL is a sample of a dynamic list. Initially, it contains all of the default feeds. You actually have control over what's in that list though. It's not necesarily all of your DrPodder feeds.

To edit the list, tap the area on the right where it shows how many downloaded / new / bookmarked feeds the list contains. You shoud get a pop-up where you can select "Edit Playlist". In the Edit Playlist screen, highlight the feeds that you want included in the list by tapping them.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Oh, hm, now that I see DrNull's response, maybe I misunderstood Kyusaku's question.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Did anybody else experience automatic updates no longer working with 1.2? I have a set of podcasts downloading 1 or 2 times every day. It's been working great until Monday morning; my podcasts haven't updates since then. I made sure to restart the app after the 1.2 install and then quit it again to "reset" the automatic downloads. Not downloading, though...
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    @retsamhgiht

Isaw that issue after 1.2

I togged auto update and notifications to off, then rebooted and turned them on.

Apparently Tweed had a similar issue if you used notifications.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by retsamhgiht View Post
    Did anybody else experience automatic updates no longer working with 1.2? I have a set of podcasts downloading 1 or 2 times every day. It's been working great until Monday morning; my podcasts haven't updates since then. I made sure to restart the app after the 1.2 install and then quit it again to "reset" the automatic downloads. Not downloading, though...
    I'm guessing that the 1.2 upgrade disabled all scheduled updates. So like wormdood said (thanks!) go to preferences and disable updates, then enable them. No restart (of the app, or of the device) should be necessary, I wouldn't think.
    Any particular feed or does it not show up in the ALL list no matter what you add? And if you exit and come back in, are they still not there?

Is the problem maybe that the episodes are so old that they are way down the list?

If you could give me more details (feed url, for instance) I can look into this, but I've never seen or heard of this problem.
    I have exited and entered several times, from what it seems like it's only feeds I've added in in this version(0.4.8) Previously added Podcasts show up fine.

The age is not the problem, these are new and updated either daily(business days) or weekly, they are 3 CNET blogs.

Here are the feed URLs

The 404
    Digital City
    MP3 Insider

I have checked View: ALL as well. And even have several pre-downloaded and don't show if I do View: Downloaded

I also tried adding

Insomnia Radio: Kill Your FM

(this one has admittedly older content) but tried downloading a track and filtering by "Downloading" in All, and nothing showed up. As well as "Downloaded" when it was done. And still didn't show up.

-----------------------------------Problem fixed----------------------------------

I see what happened thanks to muppet_funk's help.

I guess one of your versions must have overwritten the Dynamic Playlist's settings for "Include all feeds" to be off.

Working as it should. Sorry for the bother.