View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 46 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3641424344454647484950515696 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Yep, you got my vote way cool app on this one. Can I make a request? Perhaps an easy way to remove feeds? I'm sure it's in there, but I haven't had much luck finding it right off the bat. (Perhaps in the edit feed screen?)
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitcheli View Post
    Yep, you got my vote way cool app on this one. Can I make a request? Perhaps an easy way to remove feeds? I'm sure it's in there, but I haven't had much luck finding it right off the bat. (Perhaps in the edit feed screen?)
    Sure, it's just the swipe to the side gesture used in other applications. That gesture can also be used in the episode list screen to delete a downloaded episode, mark it as "old", and remove any bookmarks stored for that episode.

Thanks for the feedback!
    drnull,

On Saturday, I used WebOS Doctor to get my Pre back to a stock Pre factory defaults due to issues with Virtual Keyboard causing issues with installing the upgrade.

I then discovered that other stuff wasn't working correctly due to Virtual Keyboard.

After trying to fix the issue, I decided to give up and just hit the Panic Button in WebOS Quick Install and wipe my Pre.

I also figured that the new OS is coming out on the 24th, which is just a few days away, I would not install any Homebrew apps or tweaks at all. This why when the upgrade happens it will do it to a clean Pre.

Then I'm going to go crazy and install all my loved Homebrew apps, DrPodder being the first to be installed.

I can't believe how much I miss not having it just in two days!

I was just wondering how your making out getting DrPodder onto Palm's App Catalog?

I just got P2Snippets from them, for some reason he got his app approved already. But I just also found out that he is putting the newer version here on PreCentral before they end up in the App Catalog. So it will be a dilemma for me, where do I end up getting my apps from? Homebrew or Palm's App Catalog.

And how will Palm feel about stuff in Homebrew and on their Catalog, remember they are taking a cut of the profits. So if apps are sold in both places, Homebrew is not taking the 30% cut and Palm is, where will stand on that?

Ok, I just went off topic here and I'm sorry.

I'm just expressing some of my thoughts and wondering how developers like yourself are going to handle these issues.

You already know I love your app!

So I will support you no matter where your app is made available.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I was just wondering how your making out getting DrPodder onto Palm's App Catalog?

I just got P2Snippets from them, for some reason he got his app approved already. But I just also found out that he is putting the newer version here on PreCentral before they end up in the App Catalog. So it will be a dilemma for me, where do I end up getting my apps from? Homebrew or Palm's App Catalog.

And how will Palm feel about stuff in Homebrew and on their Catalog, remember they are taking a cut of the profits. So if apps are sold in both places, Homebrew is not taking the 30% cut and Palm is, where will stand on that?
    Haha, thanks for the feedback!

The download functionality in drPodder relies on features that are being made public in WebOS 1.2. So until that is released, I can't begin the submission process.

P2Labs's idea of newer versions posted on PreCentral is basically the same approach I plan on taking. No donation-only version, timeouts or expiration of versions. I'll release a (hopefully) solid version through Palm's Catalog, then do incremental updates through PreCentral, and once the new functionality is throughly tested and bugs are fixed, I'll release a new version through the Catalog.

Using this method, the following things are accomplished.
    1) Valuable testers are provided for free to application developers.
    2) Early beta versions are provided for free to those willing to put up with occasional bugs and the hassle of installing a 3rd party application catalog.
    3) Solid, PreCentral-vetted versions of applications can be sold through Palm's catalog.

Who doesn't benefit from this method of development?

As for Palm's relationship with the homebrew scene: as long as people aren't charging for their apps in homebrew (i.e, there's no "cut" to take), I don't think Palm has a problem with it. Donation-only versions seem a bit shady, but to each his own.
    drnull,

With two days to go before the upgrade, my knees went weak!

I installed WebOS Quick Install and got my drPodder back on!

I guess I wasn't as patient as I thought I could be.

I did not add any tweaks, so maybe I will be OK just as I am and I won't have to Doctor the phone again!

I should have known myself better, I guess deep down inside I knew I couldn't wait!

I'm a weak person! Shoot me!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Resume downloads?

I've been loving the app for the last month.. but one frustrating thing is.. whenever I'm trying to download a podcast over EVDO.. and a text message comes through.. it stops the download and I have to start over. Is there anyway to get it to continue downloading from where it left off? I'm assuming this would require some kind of advanced download manager mechanism.. but that's really about all it would take to make this app perfect!

keep up the good work!
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    DrNull -

I'm noticing a weird bug with the latest version (To be honest, I'm not sure if this issue was here before or not..)

I'm always using a bluetooth headset.. when I hit play the first time, the timer counts up but it doesn't actually play. I have to pause it and hit play again to get any sound..

-mark
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rumurphy View Post
    Resume downloads?
    Just letting you know, I plan to do this if WebOS ever gives me the ability to do it. As is, I'm waiting for WebOS 1.2[.1] just to "officially" have the ability to download things. Maybe once I get documentation for the download service I'll find a way to resume downloads. Honestly, I think this will come much later if it ever comes.

Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I'm noticing a weird bug with the latest version (To be honest, I'm not sure if this issue was here before or not..)

I'm always using a bluetooth headset.. when I hit play the first time, the timer counts up but it doesn't actually play. I have to pause it and hit play again to get any sound..
    Do you notice the same issue with the stock music player? I've seen different BT Headsets behave differently. For instance, one of mine keeps the volume really low when I start playing again, so if I pause it, then play it, I'll miss 5+ seconds of the podcast. Quite frustrating.
    Is anyone else getting the tail of their pod casts cut off? It normally doesn't matter, because the show is winding down, but it seems like I lose a couple seconds and occasionally when the last few words are being said.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Do you notice the same issue with the stock music player? I've seen different BT Headsets behave differently. For instance, one of mine keeps the volume really low when I start playing again, so if I pause it, then play it, I'll miss 5+ seconds of the podcast. Quite frustrating.
    I just tried opening with the music player and playing, played right away.

..but then I went to drpodder, and it also played right away (I had it consistently NOT playing right away and requiring a pause/play before..)

will keep an eye on it.
    -mark
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Is anyone else getting the tail of their pod casts cut off? It normally doesn't matter, because the show is winding down, but it seems like I lose a couple seconds and occasionally when the last few words are being said.
    Hey Sacherjj. Sadly, this is a WebOS problem. I've notified them, they seem to be aware of it. https://developer.palm.com/distribut...hp?f=14&t=1675

Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    ..but then I went to drpodder, and it also played right away (I had it consistently NOT playing right away and requiring a pause/play before..)
    Doh, hate that! Keep me posted.
    awesome app, awesome dev. Drnull even contacted one of the sites that I wanted to connect to, but whose site didnt play well with Drpodder, and they updated their site and Im now able to connect to their feed! Above and beyond IMO, thanks!
    i've said it before, and i'll say it again, AWESOME app ... use it everyday, all day!

quick question ... the "Play from Top / Play from Bottom" option that allows you to listen conitinuously ... it only seems to work when the Pre is "awake" ... which is only when it's on a touchstone or you hit the shoulder button to wake it up and slide the UNLOCK circle around ... if the Pre is in my pocket or sitting on my desk or on the seat in my truck, when i get to the end of a segment, i have to wake it up and swipe back to start my continuous play again, does this happen to others?

sorry, that wasn't as quick a question as i thought it'd be!

another quicky, just making sure i'm reading the release notes on the last couple versions ... the SORTING of the podcasts ... is this something that can be done by the user now? ... i know FILTERING is available as a manual button select (which is GREAT btw), but is there an actual SORT buttom i'm missing? ... sometimes my segments show in one order, then the next time i open drpodder, it's reverted back to the old sort

thanks again drnull ... your app is absolutely an ESSENTIAL app for the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mturner7472 View Post
    the "Play from Top / Play from Bottom" option that allows you to listen conitinuously ... it only seems to work when the Pre is "awake" ... which is only when it's on a touchstone or you hit the shoulder button to wake it up and slide the UNLOCK circle around ... if the Pre is in my pocket or sitting on my desk or on the seat in my truck, when i get to the end of a segment, i have to wake it up and swipe back to start my continuous play again, does this happen to others?
    I'm seeing this intermittently. Sometimes it does advance to the next episode while asleep and sometimes it doesn't.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mturner7472 View Post
    quick question ... the "Play from Top / Play from Bottom" option that allows you to listen conitinuously ... it only seems to work when the Pre is "awake"

sometimes my segments show in one order, then the next time i open drpodder, it's reverted back to the old sort
    I'll have to look into the play from top/bottom issue, I admit, I don't use it that much.

Hmm, can you give me a podcast that seems to switch order? There is no support for user-controlled sorting yet. What did you have in mind? Just switching between oldest first or newest first? I know I need to put some sort of list search capabilities in.
    i know you're in c-ville ... you may have heard this if you've been through DC, i podcast them from richmond ... but here's one of the three or four that i listen to ....

The Sports Junkies

it's a 13 segment morning radio show ... and by default drPodder displays them 13, 12, 11, etc ... filtered by NEW after downloading them all, i'll select "Play from bottom" ... and sometimes, out of the blue, it'll sort 1, 2, 3, etc ... but then the next time i see it, the same day's segments revert back to reverse (default)

like i said, i love the app and how it works now is amazing ... i was just wondering if i was missing something from the last few release notes since sorting was mentioned
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I REALLY like this app.

It does hang a lot though. And restarting the app doesn't seem to fix it. It will sit there and say "connecting."

Other times when I slide the pointer the podcast closes and takes me back to the podcast list.

Also several recent podcasts show up as dim grey. This is even though I was just listening to it.

I hope the developer can refine this and make it more robust.
    Hey Drnull,

As the days pass by I keep adding more and more podcasts to my list, but some of these podcasts are just bookmarks for me and I don't really have the need to keep updating their feeds all the time. Could it be possible to add an option to exclude some podcats feeds from updating? This will make the autoupdate run much faster.

Also, have you considered a grid view for podcasts? I know exactly what they are just by looking at the icons.

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmin View Post
    I REALLY like this app.

It does hang a lot though. And restarting the app doesn't seem to fix it. It will sit there and say "connecting."

Other times when I slide the pointer the podcast closes and takes me back to the podcast list.

Also several recent podcasts show up as dim grey. This is even though I was just listening to it.

I hope the developer can refine this and make it more robust.
    Could you post the podcast that you are having problems with? Additionally, if you are in a low signal area, there will be problems connecting.

You could also downlad the episodes, and you wouldn't ever have the connecting issues...
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Hey Drnull,

As the days pass by I keep adding more and more podcasts to my list, but some of these podcasts are just bookmarks for me and I don't really have the need to keep updating their feeds all the time. Could it be possible to add an option to exclude some podcats feeds from updating? This will make the autoupdate run much faster.

Also, have you considered a grid view for podcasts? I know exactly what they are just by looking at the icons.

Thanks,
    I'll have to try grid view out sometime, that look nice.

For updating... I guess each feed should have the option to use the Default schedule, a custom schedule, or not update automatically at all?