View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 41 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3136373839404142434445465191 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not (sorry if it has, but there are just so many pages) when I am listening to a podcast and ten pause it and swipe away dr podder when I open up the app again, I am unable to listen to that podcast from either where I left it off or even start at the beginning, can someone help me out with this?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxelsharif View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not (sorry if it has, but there are just so many pages) when I am listening to a podcast and ten pause it and swipe away dr podder when I open up the app again, I am unable to listen to that podcast from either where I left it off or even start at the beginning, can someone help me out with this?
    I'm actually pretty surprised that this hasn't been mentioned before. v0.4.3 introduced a streaming bug where you couldn't resume a stream that was bookmarked. You can press & hold on that episode to clear the bookmark (or select "restart" to play from the beginning). This is not a problem (I don't think) for downloaded episodes. This is fixed in v0.4.5 (to be released in the next couple of days)

Sorry to not fix it back soon after v0.4.3 came out, but I had already started playing with features for the next release when I noticed it and didn't want to take the time for another release.
    I see, no problem, I really love this app, but I just thought I was doing something wrong. I will try doing what you said thought, thnks!
    One more suggestions.

I would like this added to the TODO list (but low priority). Let drPodder monitor directory on the device. Then any files placed there will have a feed. This would be useful because I have books in the MP3 format that drPodder would be perfect for playing.

Right now I am about to setup an rss feed to load them.

Thanks

KRWren
    Quote Originally Posted by ldudiaz View Post
    Can we also use this app as a feed reader? And not just audio podcast
    GoogleOS or m.Google will give you access to an rss feed reader on your phone. There's also TechTrayPre, but I don't know if it will allow you to add feeds.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Waoh, did Palm read suggestions for this app or is it just a coincidence? It seems resume support is now added.

"-Resume support for podcasts and long songs "
    Support - Help
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Waoh, did Palm read suggestions for this app or is it just a coincidence? It seems resume support is now added.

"-Resume support for podcasts and long songs "
    Support - Help
    Great news for sure. Two things that I find encouraging about that note:
    1) This means they've probably fixed the issue with podcasts ending playback before the end of the song. See: Forums webOS • View topic - Audio playback stops before the end
    2) It probably won't be as urgent for me to try to shoehorn support for audiobooks (as in a directory of .mp3 files) into drPodder, since the music player will possibly handle these well now.
    Possible bug?

I don't know if anyone reported this or not:

Yesterday, I was out walking my dog and I decided to setup a download of a podcast. I had WiFi ON, but of course was out of range to make any kind of connection. And I have setup in Preferences to ONLY download thru WiFi.

So what happens, it ended up downloading my video podcast but it had to come via the EVDO mode, not WiFi because I wasn't connected to anything. I double checked.

So I am wondering if drPodder is only looking at the the setting that WiFi is ON and that there is an actual connection?

It should not have been able downloaded that podcast.

Yes, and I should not have manually tried to download when I knew I didn't have a WiFi connection but...

So I just wanted the developer to know what happened and see if it is a bug?

Rob

FANBOY of drPodder!
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 09/09/2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: grammer
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Sorry, there's nothing that can be done. When drPodder starts up and tries to load the database, WebOS will wipe out the database and recreate it if it finds that it is corrupted. The database corruption issue is a problem with WebOS, and I have worked up an example that illustrates the problem, and Palm has seen it recreated. They are working on a fix.
    I just thought of an idea for this as a workaround to the problem.

When the database is created, make a backup copy of it somewhere and store it.

Then when you get the error that the database is corrupted, use a routine to copy the backup copy of the database to restore the feeds and settings.

Only rewrite the backup copy when the user tried to make any changes to the database so you always have a current backup copy to the database.

Or maybe even give the user the option of creating the backup copy manually and let him manually have the option of restoring the database.

Whatever is easier.

This can be a workaround until they fix the bug.

Hope this was a helpful suggestion!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Hi Rob,
    The 'download over WiFi only' option only applies to automatic downloads. If you initiate a download manually, it will run over whatever network is available.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I am getting the drPodder home screen that says "opending database" when I try to start. It will not open the app.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phrenom View Post
    I am getting the drPodder home screen that says "opending database" when I try to start. It will not open the app.
    PM sent to try to track this down...

For everybody else, from the first post...
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    drPodder v0.4.5 (9/10)
    New Features!
    • As usual, you can simply install the new version over the old version.
    • Adding Dynamic Playlists
      - Dynamic Playlists are handled like other feeds, you add them using the + button, you can delete them, reorder them, etc.
      - You edit Dynamic Playlists by tapping the feed count area, or by choosing edit playlist in the Episode List screen.
      - You choose the Feeds that will be listed in a dynamic playlist (or All feeds)
      - For example, "All" is auto created for you. Other suggestions: Favorites, Travel, Videos, etc.
    • Episode List Filtering
      - The Episode List screen can now be filtered to show only episodes matching certain criteria. This setting is persistent, and defaults to "New".
      - View All/New/Old/Downloaded/Downloading/Paused
    • Refresh on Episode List screen will auto-download (if the feed is so configured)
    • Sorting by pubDate on Episode lists (pubDate defaults to the time the episode was first seen).

Thanks to JamieHS for the updated Splash Screen logo and the Dynamic Playlist icon!
    Last edited by drnull; 09/10/2009 at 03:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    lthis is my FAVORITE and most frequently used app and the reason I have not already placed an order for a 64 GB iPod Touch that was announced yesterday!!! :-)

I was thinking of uninstalling all my homebrew apps to reinstall them using one of the install programs that allows the app limit to be bypassed. If I do the export list thing, does that mean I won't have to reenter all my feeds when I reinstall the program?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    This is my FAVORITE and most frequently used app and the reason I have not already placed an order for a 64 GB iPod Touch that was announced yesterday!!! :-)
    I just have to say, I love hearing these comments. I cannot express enough my disdain for apple and the way they do business. It makes good business sense, but as a tech guy who likes interoperability and openness... it drives me crazy.

I was thinking of uninstalling all my homebrew apps to reinstall them using one of the install programs that allows the app limit to be bypassed. If I do the export list thing, does that mean I won't have to reenter all my feeds when I reinstall the program?
    Correct, drPodder will forget everything about what you have downloaded, what you have marked as "old", and what bookmarks you have for the episodes, but you won't have to reenter the feeds.

You can just take the file that you email yourself, and save it in /media/internal/drpodder.xml (make sure the filename is all lowercase). That's E:\drpodder.xml if you are accessing through the usb drive.

Then you can choose OPML->Import from from drpodder.xml once you reinstall.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    drnull,

I love the app....definitely my most used app.

I like the new playlist feature, but I have a feature suggestion....allow re-ordering of the playlists themselves......specifically, I would like the ability to make a playlist of every podcast that is new or paused and to be able to re-order them so I can listen to them all one after another, but have my favorite podcasts first.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wormdood View Post
    I like the new playlist feature, but I have a feature suggestion....allow re-ordering of the playlists themselves......specifically, I would like the ability to make a playlist of every podcast that is new or paused and to be able to re-order them so I can listen to them all one after another, but have my favorite podcasts first.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have thought about this feature, but I'm not sure how long it would take me to implement. It would require reworking of quite a bit of the app. It's on the list though.
    This version (0.4.5) is inconsistent for me. Most of the time when I launch it, I get the splash screen with "Loading Episodes" and we go no further. Occasionally, and I haven't figured out under which circumstances, it will then say "Loading Feed List" go to the feed screen. It might have something to do with this feed: The Brass Figlagee which has over 1,200 podcasts (or, it might not).

Also, given that there are feed lists this big, it would be nice to be able to search for substrings in the episode titles.
    Last edited by phomchick; 09/10/2009 at 03:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phomchick View Post
    This version (0.4.5) is inconsistent for me. Most of the time when I launch it, I get the splash screen with "Loading Episodes" and we go no further. Occasionally, and I haven't figured out under which circumstances, it will then say "Loading Feed List" go to the feed screen. It might have something to do with this feed: The Brass Figlagee which has over 1,200 podcasts (or, it might not).

Also, given that there are feed lists this big, it would be nice to be able to search for substrings in the episode titles.
    Yes, probably related to having a huge podcast like that. Honestly, podcast authors drive me crazy. I'll try to come up with a workaround. For now, though, I'd suggest the following: Restart your Pre. Launch drPodder. Remove the "all" playlist. You should then be able to load drPodder like before.

And the filter-list searching that you see in other apps would make a nice addition. I'll add it to the todo list.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phomchick View Post
    I was looking into the ability to limit the number of episodes served by the feed URL, but it looks like (for feedburner at least) that's controlled via the user control panel on the other end.

I'm sure that some feeds will allow you to specify query string parameters like:
    Delicious/jamie3d
    (The above is RSS and not a real "podcast")

but that's really up to the publisher of the feed.
    Not sure if this is controllable, and it's not really a big deal... In 0.4.5, accidentally added the wrong feed from a search, and tried tossing it off the side to delete it, while it was in the process of refreshing. It got stuck half off the side of the screen. When refreshing finished, it slid back to on screen and I could then delete it.