View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 40 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3035363738394041424344455090 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    I have not noticed if it does it only with streaming or with both streaming and downloaded. I think the issue might be with how playback is stopped. Usually I will just pull the headphones out and throw my phone in my pocket. This stops playback fine, it just comes back.

Just to be safe, I've gotten in the habit of hitting pause and then going back to the podcast index.
    Just thought I'd comment on what might be related behavior (I haven't actually seen it with drPodder since I rarely listen to podcasts streaming). When a streaming audio element is paused (whether it's fully buffered or not), the Pre behaves -very- strange when it tries to sleep. I noticed this when investigating battery drain using Ampache Mobile. As soon as the Pre tries to sleep (screen going dark), it will make TCP connections to the streaming server twice a second. It seems to do this continuously until the screen is woken up. The connections never pass any data (no HTTP request at all), and this results in the Pre getting noticably warm (obviously draining battery quite a bit). In a brief exchange with the author of Ampache Mobile, we agreed it was likely a WebOS bug and probably responsible for the significant battery drain people notice with the Pandora app as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this was related as well (perhaps something to do with the device never fully sleeping).
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    There's also a service on the web through which you can subscribe to a feed, and it will speed up the audio files for you. The latter isn't handled very well by drPodder. Support for increased playback rate isn't there at this time, but it's on the list as something I'd like to support.
    podshifter.com

FYI, it DOES work with drPodder; it just doesn't work too perfectly since the first time you request an un-transcoded podcast from podshifter, you'll get a 403. You may get a few more until transcoding is done, at which point it just gives you the podcast directly.

Guessing you'd want to put special logic in for that particular service.
    Discovery News Audio Podcasts download in a funky order. From 10/7/07 to 7/24/09 they are displayed oldest to newest. The next podcast started a new order of newest to oldest.

Discovery News Audio Podcast

Science Channel also lists the episodes oldest to newest.
    Science Channel Features

Oldest to newest becomes a problem because the list is so long that scrolling is necessary after playing an episode in order to view the list. Subscribe to one of these so that you can see what some of us are talking about with the list disappearing.

Thanks. Keep up the good work.
    May have been asked. If so sorry. I am on my Pre.

Is it possible to have DP turn on wifi at night, dl the files then turn it back off?
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    This may not be a problem with the app -- my (work) computer is locked down so that it will not recognize jump drives. I don't seem to have this problem on my home computers. Sorry for the confusion. Love the app!
    I'm having a problem with your otherwise excellent app. Yesterday I noticed that it seemed to go into "Loading Episodes" when I brought up the program and it just stayed there. I have set up about a dozen podcasts in your program, and it seemed to be loading new episodes just fine when they became available. This morning I noticed your new version (4.3) was available and I installed that, but I'm still stuck in the "Loading Epsidoes" screen.

I am noticing that even though Device Info says I have 7.1GB available out of 8GB, I'm getting "unable to install" error messages in attempting to download my ever increasing number of homebrew apps. I have set all of my podcasts to "set all to listened" (in the older version) so as to not take up so much space on my Pre, which helps, but now I'm not able to do anything with your app. Please help.

Thanks again for an excellent app. I agree with alot of others ... It's one of the best one out there.
    Thanks for the app- it's really great. However, can you add support for passwords? I follow a podcast that has a premium membership and I need to enter my password in order to download or stream. Thanks
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbritton View Post
    As soon as the Pre tries to sleep (screen going dark), it will make TCP connections to the streaming server twice a second. It seems to do this continuously until the screen is woken up. The connections never pass any data (no HTTP request at all), and this results in the Pre getting noticably warm (obviously draining battery quite a bit). In a brief exchange with the author of Ampache Mobile, we agreed it was likely a WebOS bug and probably responsible for the significant battery drain people notice with the Pandora app as well.
    Thanks for that great feedback! I'll try to work up an example and submit it to palm at some point, they seem to be fairly responsive if you can give them a good test case.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    Discovery News Audio Podcasts download in a funky order. From 10/7/07 to 7/24/09 they are displayed oldest to newest. The next podcast started a new order of newest to oldest.
    The next version forces sorting from newest (top) to oldest (bottom) in addition to not showing episodes that have been listened to/viewed (if you choose). Doing some more testing, but it should be out this week sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Is it possible to have DP turn on wifi at night, dl the files then turn it back off?
    I originally planned to have this ability (enable wifi during updates) but ran into some problems. I need to revisit this (along with all the other update scheduling options that have been mentioned)

Quote Originally Posted by kbrace View Post
    I'm having a problem with your otherwise excellent app. Yesterday I noticed that it seemed to go into "Loading Episodes" when I brought up the program and it just stayed there.
    Check your private messages, we'll try to track this down.

Quote Originally Posted by drtoni View Post
    Thanks for the app- it's really great. However, can you add support for passwords? I follow a podcast that has a premium membership and I need to enter my password in order to download or stream.
    Also check your PM's, there is a workaround for this that I'd rather not devote time to in the thread. I do have plans to put username/passwords in for feeds, it's just not done yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    Hey Doc,

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the "Play from Oldest" feature, actually plays from the last podcast in the feed.
    Any chance the next release will fix this problem? I listen to the Dave Ramsey show and it has three one hour podcasts a day. They are labeled as 1st hour, 2nd hour, and 3rd hour. Your "Play from Oldest" option always plays them in reverse order for each day.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cshrader View Post
    Any chance the next release will fix this problem? I listen to the Dave Ramsey show and it has three one hour podcasts a day. They are labeled as 1st hour, 2nd hour, and 3rd hour. Your "Play from Oldest" option always plays them in reverse order for each day.
    The next release will ensure that the episodes are displayed in newest (top) to oldest (bottom) order, based on the pubDate of the episode. The pubDate is the date shown below the title in the episode list. I'm not sure what the feed url is for the Dave Ramsey show you're talking about (the one I found was only 1 hour, but I saw there was a subscriber's feed - PM me with that feed url if you want, and I'll look into it some more). So, yes, if the pubDates are correct, then the episodes will be played and displayed in the correct order. Hopefully.
    I'm having a problem with a stuck "updating feed" message. It happens when trying to add Johnjay and Rich at Their Best
    My guess would be that the rss has too much info to properly handle (my computer freezes for 3-4 seconds loading the page).

Just thought I would pass this along to you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to flush it out. Thanks

Edit: Tried it last night for 2 hours and it didn't move. Tonight? It took about three minutes and then loaded 2733 new podcasts. Sheesh! Time to do some housecleaning!

Anyway - Sorry!
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    Can we also use this app as a feed reader? And not just audio podcast
    drnull, I just encountered a very strange issue on my phone while listening to a podcast on drPodder. I was browsing the full version of facebook, looking through albums and such when my Pre started to register screen taps as screen-length swipes, gesture area swipes, etc. Tapping the screen would make the gesture area glow. Tapping the gesture area would register a forward swipe. It was all kinds of crazy. I closed drPodder and it went back to normal immediately. It was very bizarre. Anyone else experience this?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    drnull, I just encountered a very strange issue on my phone while listening to a podcast on drPodder. I was browsing the full version of facebook, looking through albums and such when my Pre started to register screen taps as screen-length swipes, gesture area swipes, etc. Tapping the screen would make the gesture area glow. Tapping the gesture area would register a forward swipe. It was all kinds of crazy. I closed drPodder and it went back to normal immediately. It was very bizarre. Anyone else experience this?
    I think you should read through this thread some: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ccess-pre.html

It appears that other people have experienced this sort of problem (not while using drPodder) and that it is releated to non-OEM chargers. That, or faulty touchscreens.

Notice, 2nd page, there's a video link. Although, oddly enough, he's not charging in the video. Strange.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davismw View Post
    Edit: Tried it last night for 2 hours and it didn't move. Tonight? It took about three minutes and then loaded 2733 new podcasts. Sheesh! Time to do some housecleaning!
    Wow. 2733 episodes? I just don't understand why podcast owners do this with their rss feeds. rss is supposed to have recent stuff. If I want archived information from years ago, rss is NOT the format I would use to access it.

Just fair warning... if you load a podcast feed with 3k episodes in it into drPodder, then I wouldn't be surprised if startup was very slow. Also, memory usage (I'm talking about runtime memory usage, not the 8gb media storage partition) would be high.

Quote Originally Posted by ldudiaz View Post
    Can we also use this app as a feed reader? And not just audio podcast
    You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. That's not really the focus of drPodder. I focus on mainly audio podcasts, with support for video podcasts.
    I think you should read through this thread some: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ccess-pre.html

It appears that other people have experienced this sort of problem (not while using drPodder) and that it is releated to non-OEM chargers. That, or faulty touchscreens.

Notice, 2nd page, there's a video link. Although, oddly enough, he's not charging in the video. Strange.
    Thanks for the link, I was wondering if it was something unrelated to your app and I'm glad it's not. I just never experienced it until today while your app was running.
    Did you lose all of the feeds that you added (i.e., the only ones that are there are the standard ones from a fresh install - and all the "listened" settings have been reset?)
    Sorry if you've addressed this, but I haven't found it in a quick browse of the 40 pages of this thread. This happened to me today.

I had about 15 podcasts, and it's been working fine for a week (better than fine, it's a really solid App, thanks!). I have "auto update" on, set for every 24 hrs, and DL only over WiFi on. It looked like a couple podcasts might not have updated, so I hit the update button. It showed 2 or 3 podcasts as downloading update pending WiFi. I exited drPodder at that point, then went back in shortly after, and I saw exactly what you describe, it looks like I just installed the program, all of the feeds I had added are gone and all the "standard" ones that I had deleted are back.

What gives? Any way to recover without having to type in all my feeds again?!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swankgd View Post
    I exited drPodder at that point, then went back in shortly after, and I saw exactly what you describe, it looks like I just installed the program, all of the feeds I had added are gone and all the "standard" ones that I had deleted are back.

What gives? Any way to recover without having to type in all my feeds again?!
    Sorry, there's nothing that can be done. When drPodder starts up and tries to load the database, WebOS will wipe out the database and recreate it if it finds that it is corrupted. The database corruption issue is a problem with WebOS, and I have worked up an example that illustrates the problem, and Palm has seen it recreated. They are working on a fix.

Forums webOS • View topic - db is corrupt, erasing

I can only suggest a few things that seem to lessen the frequency of the problem:
    - Don't throw away the drPodder card immediately after doing a refresh. Give it a minute (literally, like 60 seconds).
    - Don't throw away the "Updating Feed" notifications while drPodder is updating in the background, unless they have been hanging around for a few minutes.
    - Don't upgrade to a new version while drPodder is running.
    - Email yourself your feeds: App menu->OPML->Export via email. That way, you won't have to type all the url's back in if the db corruption bug hits you.

Sorry!
    Great App, now i can listen to my espn pod casts on the go! This has made my pre my complete entertainment player at work!
    Sorry!
    No worries. 10 minutes of typing is a small price to pay for an otherwise great App. I'll definitely be exporting my list next time, thanks!