View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 38 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2833343536373839404142434888 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gben83 View Post
    I have a feature request. Can you add an option in the preferences to disable updating the scrubber, time elapsed and time remaining indicators when the app is minimized? I use the Music (Remix) application as well and according to its developer it conserves system resources and battery life.
    Sure, but this won't be a preference. It violates the Palm Design guidelines for the app to update GUI elements through timers while minimized. I thought I had put in code to handle minimize/maximize, but apparently not. Thanks for the bug report!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I absolutely LOVE this app -- It has become my favorite, substituting for radio at my desk!

I haven't read through the entire thread to know if this has been addressed, so here goes... When the app is open and running off battery, everything is fine. When I plug in to a USB cable to charge the battery, nothing happens until I close the app. Immediately upon closing the app the "Charging Battery" begins. I can then open the app again and start running my podcast again.

Thanks again for an incredible app.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingle1 View Post
    When the app is open and running off battery, everything is fine. When I plug in to a USB cable to charge the battery, nothing happens until I close the app. Immediately upon closing the app the "Charging Battery" begins. I can then open the app again and start running my podcast again.
    I can't seem to reproduce this... could you give some more details? Streaming/saved episode? "Nothing happens until you close the app"? Does it lock up? Or do you mean the pre doesn't prompt you to charge/usb mode/media sync?
    My number 1 request right now...anyway to add more graceful handling of interruptions to downloads? Both user initiated and system interrupts? i.e. I was downloading a podcast on EVDO and I got a call which only lasted 2 mins but since the phone drops EVDO when a call comes in, when the call ended drPodder cancelled the partial download and now I have to start the download all over again.
    Another example is if I'm downloading something on EVDO or WiFi and have to step out or move out of coverage, would be awesome to be able to pause the download and resume it later.

Is this something that you're working on or can add soon?

P.S. Just wanted to add how critical this is...I was downloading that podcast again and got a text message (which switches phone temporarily to 1XRTT) and that caused drPodder to cancel the download again!!!
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    My number 1 request right now...anyway to add more graceful handling of interruptions to downloads?
    Well, the problem is that I'm not handling the downloads. drPodder doesn't cancel the download, WebOS cancels the download. All I can do is respond to the notification that the download has been canceled. I could theoretically restart all downloads that have been canceled by the OS (i.e., retry X number of times, unless the user clicks cancel).

I have not looked yet to see if there is any "resume" capability to the download service. There should be, since the temporary file is left behind after a canceled download, but since documentation for that service is lacking, I'm kinda searching in the dark.

I've been working on more UI/usability improvements. I hope to have a new version out sometime this week... But I'm enjoying the new feature, personally. I just have to get some configuration and optimization in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Well, the problem is that I'm not handling the downloads. drPodder doesn't cancel the download, WebOS cancels the download. All I can do is respond to the notification that the download has been canceled. I could theoretically restart all downloads that have been canceled by the OS (i.e., retry X number of times, unless the user clicks cancel).

I have not looked yet to see if there is any "resume" capability to the download service. There should be, since the temporary file is left behind after a canceled download, but since documentation for that service is lacking, I'm kinda searching in the dark.

I've been working on more UI/usability improvements. I hope to have a new version out sometime this week... But I'm enjoying the new feature, personally. I just have to get some configuration and optimization in.
    Looks great. Yeah if you could implement a resume feature that would solve it. I have no issues and fully understand webOS interrupting the download...that's fine. What kills me is that drPodder starts the download from scratch and disregards the portion that was already downloaded. A few times this happened with a sliver left to download so very frustrating. Thanks!
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    What kills me is that drPodder starts the download from scratch and disregards the portion that was already downloaded.
    Again, drPodder isn't starting the download from scratch. I can only do what WebOS allows me to do... That's why I said I'll look into a resume feature, but I don't know if it's available yet, as there is no documentation for the downloading service.

Btw, if you have wifi turned on, the download service will select that instead of using the cell radio, and downloads will be more dependable that way.
    Again, drPodder isn't starting the download from scratch. I can only do what WebOS allows me to do... That's why I said I'll look into a resume feature, but I don't know if it's available yet, as there is no documentation for the downloading service.

Btw, if you have wifi turned on, the download service will select that instead of using the cell radio, and downloads will be more dependable that way.
    Ok no problem. Yeah I have download over wifi only on and that's 95% of the times when I download but once in a while I download over EVDO (especially smaller podcasts) and that's when I run into this issue. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I've noticed with a number of feeds, the episode details aren't rendered properly. It looks like in some cases, it's not loading images and won't let me scroll the display horizontally (it does scroll vertically). An example of this is episodes from the Coverville podcast (feed url: Coverville) There are squares with text "Album" in them (looking at the XML content, this is the alt tag for an img element. The data is also presented in a table which is rendering wider than the display, but the display is only permitting vertical scroll.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Love the app, only request is for a better podcast directory. Of the 8 podcasts I listen to (many of them from the top itunes list), it only found 1. The rest I had to manually enter the rss feeds. Kinda sucks.

Podtrapper for the Blackberry had an excellent directory that had everything I was ever looking for, maybe try and see what he's using?
    What about an option to auto-update only on the launch of the app?

I noticed I really only open the app when I want to watch a streaming podcast these days so that'd work best for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Love the app, only request is for a better podcast directory. Of the 8 podcasts I listen to (many of them from the top itunes list), it only found 1. The rest I had to manually enter the rss feeds. Kinda sucks.

Podtrapper for the Blackberry had an excellent directory that had everything I was ever looking for, maybe try and see what he's using?
    Since there are hundred, thousands, or hundreds OF thousands of podcasts out there, I don't expect a podcatcher to list them all. I don't mind adding them msnually.

Am I behind-the-times?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbritton View Post
    I've noticed with a number of feeds, the episode details aren't rendered properly. It looks like in some cases, it's not loading images and won't let me scroll the display horizontally (it does scroll vertically). An example of this is episodes from the Coverville podcast (feed url: Coverville) There are squares with text "Album" in them (looking at the XML content, this is the alt tag for an img element. The data is also presented in a table which is rendering wider than the display, but the display is only permitting vertical scroll.
    I'm not seeing the squares with Album in them, but you will see that if the images can't be accessed... low signal or non-responsive website?

As for scrolling: yep, that I see! I missed the option for the scroller to allow horizontal scrolling. Quick fix, will be in the next version.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    What about an option to auto-update only on the launch of the app?
    Could you just set auto-update to off and then click refresh when you open the app (for now)? More complete update options are needed, but there are other higher priority features I need to focus on.

EDIT: I should note that the refresh button on the episode list page should auto-start downloads in the next version as well.

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Since there are hundred, thousands, or hundreds OF thousands of podcasts out there, I don't expect a podcatcher to list them all. I don't mind adding them msnually.
    west3man, you do have a good point. However, gage006 represents the majority of users. iTunes has spoiled podcast seekers with its directory. However, they insist on the walled garden approach to data. I am working on support for other podcast search directories as I find them, and am currently working with one very promising OPEN directory. More info on that later.

As for PodTrapper, it appears he harvested podcasts from the iTunes podcast directory (which is against the iTunes TOS, not that I haven't considered trying to do this myself...). However, I've seen no statement or confirmation from the developer about where his directory comes from.
    Last edited by drnull; 09/02/2009 at 07:26 AM.
    I just love this app. Thanks for all your hard work drnull. This is the first homebrew app that I've added to my launch pad. I have been able to add ALL of my iTunes podcasts except one. Once the username/password feature is added, I will consider drPodder perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

Am I behind-the-times?
    I understand that but these are some of the most popular podcasts. It's not like I'm asking some podcast with 2 listeners to be on there, but stuff like Rebel FM, The Instance, and Giant Bombcast are all very big and popular podcasts and I would expect them to be on there.

I'm not trying to detract from what Drnull has done, just a suggestion. I emailed the Podtrapper dev asking what the directory was, doubt I'll receive a reply but worth a shot.
    I understand that but these are some of the most popular podcasts. It's not like I'm asking some podcast with 2 listeners to be on there, but stuff like Rebel FM, The Instance, and Giant Bombcast are all very big and popular podcasts and I would expect them to be on there.
    Have you tried contacting the directory that drPodder connects to and asking them to list these? I think it's called Digital Podcast.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    Have you tried contacting the directory that drPodder connects to and asking them to list these? I think it's called Digital Podcast.
    That's a good suggestion, but you'll probably have more luck contacting the podcast owner. Ask him to fill out the form at http://www.digitalpodcast.com/add_anywhere.php?cat=1

I don't want to inundate the owner of that service with requests. However, podcast owners should recognize that it's good publicity to be in as many podcast directories as possible.
    Could you just set auto-update to off and then click refresh when you open the app (for now)? More complete update options are needed, but there are other higher priority features I need to focus on.
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing now. Definitely understand that other things are a higher priority and it's a good enough workaround, just at some point down the line it'd be nice.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Got an email back from the Podtrapper dev, he says he runs his own custom directory. That he scours the web and fills them in on his own. Seems like an awful lot of work, but possible.

Since his app is for pay, doubt he'd give anyone else access for free.
    First of all, excellent app! It has taken the place of the Contacts icon on my quick launch bar.

I just have one request. I have already added more feeds than is possible for me to listen to at a normal speed. Not that I think this will fix the problem (I will most likely add more to fill in the extra time I have), but is it possible to add an option to change the playback rate of the podcasts? I don't mind everyone sounding like chipmunks if i can keep up with my feeds.

Thanks,