View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 36 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2631323334353637383940414686 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    drnull,

I guess you can submit feedback to them via Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA as they claim to read all comments or twitter them.

I do have one small feature request to make. Is it possible to make it so that certain feeds will auto download and others on demand? For example, I want to automatically download all episodes of Palmcast etc but not necessarily of engadget. Thanks.
    This already exists, it can be specified in the "Edit Feed" option popup.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I frequently run drPodder listen to a podcast for a while and pause it. I've noticed my Pre geta really hot when I do this. Why?
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fareal View Post
    I frequently run drPodder listen to a podcast for a while and pause it. I've noticed my Pre geta really hot when I do this. Why?
    This happens to me when I stream (play and download simultaneously) the podcast episodes. My theory is that the EVDO and or WiFi radios in the phone can generate some heat when turned on for a long period of time.

Generally I setup drPodder to download over WiFi, and leave WiFi on overnight and they (the episodes) are all waiting for me in the morning.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fareal View Post
    To elaborate on this a little further... it seems that the audio object keeps the http connection open so that it can continue buffering, even when paused. However, once it reaches its maximum buffer size, it quits buffering, but keeps the connection open. I believe you will see the same effect if you were to use the built-in streaming media player (i.e., click on an mp3 link in the browser, and pause it)

I would suggest either downloading, and playing the downloaded copy as jamiehs suggested, or, since your bookmark will be saved, just swipe back when you are done listening for a while. Then you can just click on that episode again when you are ready to listen. You can be sure that no connection will be left open that way.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. I hadn't dug in to drPodder and didn't know you could setup auto-downloading. I did that last night and as jamiehs said, everything was waiting for me in the morning. Great app. Thank you.
    Really obscure request. I listen to a podcast that requires a paid subscription and thus a login and password, and it is super hit or miss in different RSS reading programs. Mostly miss. The address for the feed is here: http://media.lexandterry.com/Secure/Podcasts.aspx and I manually sync every day. It's the Lex and Terry Morning show, if anyone cares. It never accepts the login or pass I give on the pre, even though the same ones work on my computer.
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    Question about the navigation buttons on the keypad (arrow, @, space, ., and Sym). If the screen goes out while the keypad is open, then the first push of any of those keys turns the screen back on instead doing what the key is mapped to (like pausing w/ the space bar). The second press of the key then performs the function.

My guess is this is a WebOS feature... regardless of app, if screen is off, then first key press will always turn the screen back on and second keystroke will be passed to the active app.

Is that true, or is it a drPodder bug?

Not sure if there's any real need to be able to pause w/o turning the screen back on first. Just wondering if it's possible.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Surfrock,
    I think I remember seeing that a few pages back...
    (long thread, so it can be tough to find stuff)

Here it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    Is there any way to add username and password support in order to download from rss feeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Not yet, but it's on the todo list.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfrock66 View Post
    Really obscure request. I listen to a podcast that requires a paid subscription and thus a login and password, and it is super hit or miss in different RSS reading programs. Mostly miss. The address for the feed is here: http://media.lexandterry.com/Secure/Podcasts.aspx and I manually sync every day. It's the Lex and Terry Morning show, if anyone cares. It never accepts the login or pass I give on the pre, even though the same ones work on my computer.
    If you're asking for username/password for feeds, that is on the todo list, and will probably be implemented as a drop-down setting on the feed url entry screen (since it's a very rare item to need)

DOH, too slow!

Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    My guess is this is a WebOS feature... regardless of app, if screen is off, then first key press will always turn the screen back on and second keystroke will be passed to the active app.
    QFT
    really sweet app, i listened to my first podcast using this app (Palmcast Live, of course)
    This may have already been requested, but it would be great to have a main screen menu option to listen to 'All by date - Newest First' and 'All by date - Oldest First'.

I personally would use the Later exclusively. The addition of listening to all of a specific podcast by date is Great, but... for podcast networks like TWIT, they often refer to something that happened on another podcast within the network that was recorded earlier in the week. So, it's great for me to listen to all of the ones I care about in date order.

If you want some code contribution, let me know.. I'd be happy to hack this together in some of my negative free time.. ( i.e. It could be a while )

Thanks for a GREAT and absolutely my most used App on the Pre!
    LK
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxkidd View Post
    This may have already been requested, but it would be great to have a main screen menu option to listen to 'All by date - Newest First' and 'All by date - Oldest First'.
    Yep, I have plans that I've been working on for the past few weeks to have Pseudo-playlists. Dynamic Playlists where you specify which feeds (or all of them) you want included in the playlist, and what types of episodes you want (new/old/both, downloaded/non-downloaded/both, etc). This would fulfill one of my original goals, which is exactly what you are saying. I want a playlist of my favorite feeds, where I can just go there every day and say PLAY, and it plays from oldest to newest, and I don't have to look, or think, it just does it.

It's coming, probably not this weekend, but it's coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    I guess what would be really slick would be to have old episodes "collapse" into divisions, kinda like the email app. You could have "new" episodes at the top, and they would default to being all visible. Then, after the new episodes, you'd have an "Old Episodes" division, which would default to being closed, and you could open it to see all the old episodes. The swipe to delete would seem more natural that way too, as the episode would actually disappear from the new list.

Stink, I think I just made more work for myself.

This sounds like a great idea. To collapse the deleted or unwanted episodes from view.

Sort of like a window shade that I think I saw in another app.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Who and where do I post a possible bug and help with getting a podcast setup.

I need help in adding a podcast, that I just signed up for and had to pay, so I have to enter a logon name and password.

Is this possible with DrPodder.

I am willing to give you my logon and password to this podcast (I can always change the password) so you can look at what I want and use my account to test out if you can provide this feature.

Again let me know where and who to email, PM, or is it right here in the message thread on PreCentral?

Thanks

Rob
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 08/27/2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    This sounds like a great idea. To collapse the deleted or unwanted episodes from view.

Sort of like a window shade that I think I saw in another app.
    This will end up being a little different from that, but it will get the same effect (hiding of episodes marked as "Old")

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I need help in adding a podcast, that I just signed up for and had to pay, so I have to enter a logon name and password.
    It is something that I plan on implementing, but honestly, it's a little ways down the todo list. I should do a little bit of evaluation on it, just to see how long it will take. Wanna shoot me a pm? Nevermind, I just saw you did.
    This is my favorite app but it may have caused a problem that I now have with my phone. Last night I had a podcast playing and set my Pre on the touchstone charger. The sound then stopped coming from the phone but the counter on the screen kept going as if the podcast is still playing. Since this happened I am know long able to get any sounds to work from my earpiece during phone calls (I must turn on speaker to hear anything) and podcasts don't play at all via drpodder/prepod (although the counter counts and scroll moves along as if it is playing). Do you think this issue relate to the app or do you think it is some sort of bug with the phone? Has anyone else encountered this problem? I was on the phone with sprint/palm reps for 40 minutes and nothing worked to fix it. The sprint guy did say that several similar complaints had been made today. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiewill View Post
    Last night I had a podcast playing and set my Pre on the touchstone charger. The sound then stopped coming from the phone but the counter on the screen kept going as if the podcast is still playing. Since this happened I am know long able to get any sounds to work from my earpiece during phone calls (I must turn on speaker to hear anything) and podcasts don't play at all via drpodder/prepod (although the counter counts and scroll moves along as if it is playing).
    It may be foolish, but I'll try this tonight and see if I can recreate it... I assume you've tried rebooting, checking the volume, playing from other applications? How is headphone sound? Bluetooth sound?
    The application works fabulously for me **knock on wood**

I haven't read through this entire long thread, but I did try searching for Yale's Cancer Update Podcasts which I was able to access from my computer and identically from my girlfriend's iPhone pod cast search engine.

Is the DrPodder search engine different, or still in development and someday will also include all the podcasts you can access via computer and iPhone?

To attempt to answer zombie's question: were you using headphones? Isn't your issue the infamous headphone jack disabling speaker issue that supposedly is fixed by repeatedly inserting and removing the wire from the headphone jack?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillen_i30 View Post
    The application works fabulously for me **knock on wood**

I haven't read through this entire long thread, but I did try searching for Yale's Cancer Update Podcasts which I was able to access from my computer and identically from my girlfriend's iPhone pod cast search engine.

Is the DrPodder search engine different, or still in development and someday will also include all the podcasts you can access via computer and iPhone?

To attempt to answer zombie's question: were you using headphones? Isn't your issue the infamous headphone jack disabling speaker issue that supposedly is fixed by repeatedly inserting and removing the wire from the headphone jack?
    The search uses the digitalpodcast.com directory just because it was the one that allowed access. It's simply not the best and doesn't include everything. drnull would like to be able to search a better directory like itunes, but Apple doesn't allow such access. The directory is still a bit of a work in progress I think.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Just started using this app, great for listening to my favorite morning radio shows anytime. One feature I'd love to see though is for DrPodder to set the genre of all downloaded Podcasts to "Podcast" or let us choose on an episode by episode basis. The more professional podcasts are already tagged this way but its not always the case, and it would be convenient to set the music player to just play the genre to listen to all my podcasts at once (I can control the music Palm music player from my cars steering wheel via bluetooth).

I saw someone else asked for this on I think page 13, read a couple pages but don't think it got added. So asking for it as well unless it's already in there...

Thanks again for the great app!