View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 33 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2328293031323334353637384383 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Feature request - downloads and download queue... - how about a page (maybe accessible from the same menu as preferences) which shows the download queue and what's currently downloading?

btw - still would love to be able to schedule the downloads only during certain hours, or while on the touchstone (or powered via usb..)

is it possible to see when the pre is on the touchstone? (for me that's the best time to download, as sometimes when I'm plugged into usb it's because I'm low on power and am trying to get a quick-charge.. background downloading doens't help a quick charge

-mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirberk View Post
    Pardon my ignorance. I love podcasts and have always downloaded them via itunes and then side loaded them or synced them to the pre. Does this app allow you to search for and download podcasts directly to the pre? That would be awesome.

yep.
    -m
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Two more menu suggestions (same level as preferences)

'clear all sample feeds' (was annoying using my oplm file then manually deleting the sample feeds) and 'mark all as old'

-mark
    I definitely like the new changes... though I think I'd have named it PodDoctor, sort of like how some people call Rubinstein the "PodFather."
    Originally posted by sirberk:
    Does this app allow you download podcasts directly to the pre
    Pardon my ignorance. I love podcasts and have always downloaded them via itunes and then side loaded them or synced them to the pre. Does this app allow you to search for and download podcasts directly to the pre? That would be awesome.
    Yes. You're going to love this app.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I definitely like the new changes... though I think I'd have named it PodDoctor, sort of like how some people call Rubinstein the "PodFather."
    That's funny. Adam Curry calls himself that too, but for inventing the Podcast, not the iPod.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    That's funny. Adam Curry calls himself that too, but for inventing the Podcast, not the iPod.
    Ahh, PodDoctor is pretty funny, actually. I was trying to be careful about using the "pod" moniker by itself, but I don't know if podder is more safe or not.

And diomark, I'm not ignoring your requests. They're all really good suggestions, and on the list. I'm trying to put features in without overcomplicating drPodder, so I have to let things stew for a while before they make it to the implementation.
    First of all, this app is my essential app on the Pre at this point. I no longer use iTunes for podcasts or need to sync up with iTunes except when updating music/photos,etc.

It works perfectly so thanks again for all your hard work.

For me personally, one bug remains that takes away from the experience and that's BT stereo controls (AVRCP?). Even with the latest version hitting play/pause doesn't work with drPodder and turns the play/pause button grey. If you can troubleshoot and fix the BT remote controls so that they work I'll be set. Thanks again.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    How about a totally new name then? Not a fan of DrPodder at all.. ii
    How about something that has no "pod" in it at all.
    Unsure I have the best ideas but I would hate to see this have to be renamed again later on.

Some ideas I have.
    Webfeed or Webfeeder.
    Netfeed or Netfeeder.
    Bit Eater... BitEater...
    Byte Me... ByteMe... (one of my favs)
    SoundME
    LaterFeed...
    4LaterFeed

I have a few more... ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I like drPodder, it says what the application does, and at the same time has that... je ne sais quoi
    I only made suggestions because they were talking about not using the word "pod" in any form because Apple may complain.

I was not trying to force a rename ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Contrary to popular belief, Apple does not own the word Pod or Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I only made suggestions because they were talking about not using the word "pod" in any form because Apple may complain.

I was not trying to force a rename ii
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    For me personally, one bug remains that takes away from the experience and that's BT stereo controls (AVRCP?). Even with the latest version hitting play/pause doesn't work with drPodder and turns the play/pause button grey. If you can troubleshoot and fix the BT remote controls so that they work I'll be set.
    Couple of questions about this:
    1) Has it ever worked with drPodder (including old PrePod versions)
    2) Do the stereo controls work with the built-in music player?
    3) If you ensure everything is all BT sync'ed up, and then startup drPodder, does it work?

I'll do my best to help here (maybe even would want to send you a debug version and have you send me your log file), but it seems like these BT controllers are all a bit different, and possibly WebOS isn't quite delivering all events correctly in some circumstances. It works great using my little Kyocera BT headphone adapter, and I know at least one other person has had success with their BT stereo head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Honestly, renaming was a bit of a pain. PrePod was referenced in quite a few places (just on PreCentral as well as throughout the program). Additionally, I really liked the name. I'd rather not go through the name picking process again. Plus, I was just getting used to saying drPodder.

If I ever get drPodder to a stable point and run out of features to add (ha!) then who knows, I might start working on another drXyz application. That was part of the motivation for "branding" this with the doctor prefix.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, Apple does not own the word Pod or Podcast
    Very true. Juice (formerly iPodder) did learn that the small i followed by Pod was a bad idea. However, there have been follow-on works that used Podder, and they've not received c&d letters (to my knowledge).
    I can't find this in the thread, though maybe I missed it - just installed, and when starting, it just sits on the "opening database" screen for several minutes. It's yet to do anything, even when I've tried killing the card and restarting it. About to attempt a full restart, but any ideas?

Thanks. This is very cool. I've enjoyed using rssplayer on my itouch, but being able to do the same thing over the air anywhere is just great.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    I can't find this in the thread, though maybe I missed it - just installed, and when starting, it just sits on the "opening database" screen for several minutes. It's yet to do anything, even when I've tried killing the card and restarting it. About to attempt a full restart, but any ideas?
    If restarting doesn't fix it, I'd appreciate it if we could take this out to Private Message/email/IM so I can try get this problem sorted out (the forum back&forth just doesn't seem to work typically). I don't have a problem with publicly posting about issues, I'm not trying to hide anything. It is just much easier to do troubleshooting directly.

Thanks!
    drnull, restarting worked - either that or finishing the upgrade to 1.1.0 Thanks.
    How does the directory searching work? Where are the results coming from? I'm unable to find some prominent podcasts - radiolab, this american life, and wnyc's on the media to name a few.

I went ahead and imported an opml file, so not a big deal for me, just curious mainly.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    drnull, restarting worked - either that or finishing the upgrade to 1.1.0 Thanks.

How does the directory searching work? Where are the results coming from? I'm unable to find some prominent podcasts - radiolab, this american life, and wnyc's on the media to name a few.

I went ahead and imported an opml file, so not a big deal for me, just curious mainly.
    Great! Thanks for the update!

I understand the problem of podcast searching. The results are provided by Digital Podcast as they are the only directory I found that offers an API for searching their directory. They are pretty good about adding feeds to their library, so if you contact a podcast owner, and ask them to register their feed at http://www.digitalpodcast.com/add_anywhere.php?cat=1 maybe it will make it into the directory.
    Really digging the new Play From Oldest / Play From Newest feature. I'd kind of like to see those somewhere other than in the menu, but in looking at the screen, I don't have any bright ideas for where they'd fit. Does not seem to work with video. Perhaps that's to be expected given the current state of video support here. If you want to play with that, Tekzilla Daily has short videocasts that would be good for testing.

Thanks for another solid release!
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    Really digging the new Play From Oldest / Play From Newest feature. I'd kind of like to see those somewhere other than in the menu, but in looking at the screen, I don't have any bright ideas for where they'd fit. Does not seem to work with video. Perhaps that's to be expected given the current state of video support here. If you want to play with that, Tekzilla Daily has short videocasts that would be good for testing.
    Correct, until video podcasts are truly incorporated, the following features won't work with video podcasts: bookmarking, resuming, delete when finished, and as you pointed out, "play from" functionality. (hmm, did I miss any?)

You did notice that you can tap the feed name to get a small drop-down menu there? Slightly easier than going to the impossible-to-hit application menu.