View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

    360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

    89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

    42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

    39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

    54 9.25%
Page 31 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2126272829303132333435364181 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
  1. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #601  
    DrNull -

    In regards to the wifi download speed.. Have you seen this?

    In the file /etc/palm/luna.conf

    [DownloadManager]
    MaxQueueLength=128
    MaxConcurrent=2
    MaxRecvSpeed=65536 <--- ?

    -mark
  2. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #602  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    DrNull -

    In regards to the wifi download speed.. Have you seen this?

    In the file /etc/palm/luna.conf

    [DownloadManager]
    MaxQueueLength=128
    MaxConcurrent=2
    MaxRecvSpeed=65536 <--- ?

    -mark
    Maybe it's my imagination, but setting maxrecvspeed=-1 made downloading a video podcast fly. (about ~5 minutes vs. 30 minutes last time..)

    My phone was *very* much busy during this time though - with lunasysmgr eating 39% and the wifi service eating another 20%

    1237 root 19 -1 178m 87m 13m R 39.3 36.6 2:36.12 LunaSysMgr


    (would love for someone else to test this.. could also be that I'm sitting next to my router right now )
    -mark
    Last edited by diomark; 08/20/2009 at 09:03 PM.
  3. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #603  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    In regards to the wifi download speed.. Have you seen this?

    In the file /etc/palm/luna.conf

    [DownloadManager]
    MaxQueueLength=128
    MaxConcurrent=2
    MaxRecvSpeed=65536 <--- ?
    That's both fascinating and a little disappointing. Nice investigative work! I see where the maxConcurrent comes from now, and you're probably right about that maxSpeed affecting our max download speed. I wonder if einnyen could check his file and see if those values are set higher?
  4. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #604  
    I wish there was an easy way to see real-time transfer speed.. It feels like I'm downloading a 200mb episode of tekzilla in about ~5 minutes..

    EDIT - just re-tested from the other room (bedroom where it normally takes an eternity), it's downloading at 600kbs/second over wifi. about 5-6 minutes for a 206716928 byte file.
    -mark
    Last edited by diomark; 08/20/2009 at 09:16 PM.
  5. #605  
    Wow! That went from crap to awesome in a hurry! I am impressed. I'd like to see the "dl over wifi only" be available on a per feed basis. I have just a couple feeds I MUST have, but I don't need all of them.
    Also, I wish it could automatically kick on my wifi, dl my feeds, and turn wifi back off according to a set shedule.
  6. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #606  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I wish there was an easy way to see real-time transfer speed.. It feels like I'm downloading a 200mb episode of tekzilla in about ~5 minutes..

    EDIT - just re-tested from the other room (bedroom where it normally takes an eternity), it's downloading at 600kbs/second over wifi. about 5-6 minutes for a 206716928 byte file.
    -mark
    I tested it as well (near my router). It bounces between 5 & 10 mbps on my 10mbps dsl line, easily averaging around 8mbps, judging from my dd-wrt bandwidth monitoring page...

    And the Pre's performance during the download was a bit... sketchy. I understand why they limited it. Maybe something around 3 or 4 would allow faster downloads and yet keep the Pre responsive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellomiakoda View Post
    Wow! That went from crap to awesome in a hurry! I am impressed. I'd like to see the "dl over wifi only" be available on a per feed basis. I have just a couple feeds I MUST have, but I don't need all of them.
    Also, I wish it could automatically kick on my wifi, dl my feeds, and turn wifi back off according to a set shedule.
    It used to be crap? You cut me deep, Hellomiakoda. You cut me reaaaal deep just now. (Movie reference FTW)
  7. #607  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Maybe it's my imagination, but setting maxrecvspeed=-1 made downloading a video podcast fly...
    My phone was *very* much busy during this time though...
    So just my "i'm a math nerd, not a programmer" read on this... if maxrecvspeed = 65536 is too slow, and maxrecvspeed = -1 seems to unthrottle it entirely, and 65536 = 64kb = 2^16, would 128kb = 2^17 = 131072 be the next reasonable setting to try?
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
  8. a1aone's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #608  
    Nice app
  9. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #609  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I wish there was an easy way to see real-time transfer speed.. It feels like I'm downloading a 200mb episode of tekzilla in about ~5 minutes..
    If you've done the whole optware install, you can install atop to get nice details by just typing:
    Code:
    /opt/bin/ipkg-opt install atop
    And then run it by typing
    Code:
    /opt/bin/atop
    Also neat: iftop
    Code:
    /opt/bin/ipkg-opt install iftop
    /opt/bin/iftop -i ppp0 # this monitors evdo downloads
    /opt/bin/iftop -i eth0 # I think this would monitor wifi downloads (no wifi at work)

    I'd rather not get into details about the optware install, installing packages, how to use atop, or the like. However, tweaks to the config files for increasing download speeds, while unsupported, are definitely worthy discussion topics.
    Last edited by drnull; 08/21/2009 at 10:19 AM.
  10. #610  
    Quick question: My streams on the Pre last only 20 seconds, even though I know they are 8 minutes long. Same happened with this application, I was able to play only a few seconds.

    Has this happened to anybody else around here? Any help qould be appreciated...

    Thanx!
  11. #611  
    Anyone notice prepod not closing properly?
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/showt...=1#post1838094
  12. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #612  
    Quote Originally Posted by amedal View Post
    Quick question: My streams on the Pre last only 20 seconds, even though I know they are 8 minutes long. Same happened with this application, I was able to play only a few seconds.
    Just wondering what the podcast was? I've seen this reported before, specificially with Bloomberg On the Economy
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Anyone notice prepod not closing properly?
    Do you have automatic updates/downloads turned on in Preferences? That's the only way that PrePod stays open (and it doesn't stay open even in that instance, it just runs the update process at the specified interval, then goes to dashboard mode if there are notifications that you need to know about, otherwise it shuts down)
  13. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #613  
    Thanks for that - didn't realize those commands were part of the opt repostitory

    If I'm reading this correctly, my transfer speeds are bouncing around 500KB/sec-1.3MB/sec.. (makes sense, as atop shows the interface is coming up as 11mb.. 11/8 = 1.375MB/sec..)

    (FYI - I have comcast internet so 50mb/sec downloads from my wifi..) - the current limitation seems to be that the wifi interface comes up at 11mb.. but it's going at near theoretical limit @ 11mb's, which is definitely fast enough for internet transfers...


    -mark
    Last edited by diomark; 08/21/2009 at 11:50 AM.
  14. #614  
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Just wondering what the podcast was? I've seen this reported before, specificially with Bloomberg On the Economy
    Hey Man, thanx for the quick reply!

    Well, it does it with all the audios I try to stream except Radio Marca from Ivoox.com, here is an example:

    La Futbolería con Miguel Ángel Méndez 23: 20-08-2009 en mp3 (subido 21/08 a las 00:57) - iVoox

    That one works fine. However it is the only one. Here are two examples of audios I try to stream that limits me to only 20 secs:

    El Tirachinas - COPE
    El Larguero

    It really makes no difference whether I am streaming directly from the website or if Im using PrePod, it will only play 20 seconds...

    Any help appreciated!
    Thanx!
    Alex
  15. #615  
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    I think NPR has something wrong with some of their feeds... I sent an email to their tech dept. Will post back if I hear anything.
    So most probably already noticed these are fixed, but just to close the loop on this, I got this from NPR today.

    Dear Listener,

    Thank you for contacting NPR.

    We appreciate your making us aware of this problem. After conducting a repair, we were able to correct the issue. Please let us know if your problems persist, as it should now function properly. You may have to resubscribe in iTunes or in your podcast feed to get the updated fix.

    We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

    Thank you for listening, and for your continued support of public broadcasting. For the latest news and information, visit NPR.org.

    Sincerely,
    Kate Myers
    NPR Services
    (202) 513-3232
    NPR : National Public Radio : News & Analysis, World, US, Music & Arts : NPR
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
  16. #616  
    Cool, NPR is trying hard to provide a lot of content which is awesome.

    drnull, PrePod definitely wasn't crap before but it's great now. Do you know how to program the DVR software on my TWC hidef DVR box? LOL. they suck so bad. You put that example of programming, features, and useability to shame, in almost the same context.
  17. #617  
    Hi. I was wondering if it would be possible to mark a notification as read once it is dismissed? Once i am notified that a new download is pending wifi, it is kind of annoying that i keep getting notified every time prepod does an update check. thanks. and sorry if this has already been asked.
  18. #618  
    I'm getting a lot of "too many cards open" messages and wondering if it could have anything to do with auto-update downloading a large file (like Buzz Out Loud Video)...or something else, pertaining to prepod and/or auto-update. I need to install the different top programs you discussed as regular top is hard to use for me.
  19. #619  
    Wow! That setting in luna.conf really did help a ton. It took me 30-45 minutes usually to download a video podcast over wifi. I added an extra 0 to the end of the 65536 in luna.conf, and it just took 6 minutes.
  20. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #620  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellomiakoda View Post
    I'd like to see the "dl over wifi only" be available on a per feed basis. I have just a couple feeds I MUST have, but I don't need all of them.
    Also, I wish it could automatically kick on my wifi, dl my feeds, and turn wifi back off according to a set shedule.
    Per feed settings aren't currently on the list. I think I'll get the overall download preferences a bit more fleshed out first (including the second part you mentioned, enabling wifi while updating, better schedule abilities, etc)

    Quote Originally Posted by amedal View Post
    Well, it does it with all the audios I try to stream except Radio Marca from Ivoox.com, here is an example:

    That one works fine. However it is the only one. Here are two examples of audios I try to stream that limits me to only 20 secs:

    It really makes no difference whether I am streaming directly from the website or if Im using PrePod, it will only play 20 seconds...
    That's really weird, they stream fine for me. Played through a good minute or so. Can you try over wifi, just to make sure it's not a bad evdo connection or something giving you trouble? Or try in multiple locations. This is kinda odd. Can you try download, then play as well?

    Quote Originally Posted by curiousobserver View Post
    Hi. I was wondering if it would be possible to mark a notification as read once it is dismissed? Once i am notified that a new download is pending wifi, it is kind of annoying that i keep getting notified every time prepod does an update check. thanks. and sorry if this has already been asked.
    Sorry, that's currently not available. I'm not sure exactly how I would want to implement this. I kinda like knowing each time that it tries to download that my settings say to update every hour, and update only over wifi, and that 2..3.. ok, 4 now episodes are needing to be downloaded. I would forget that I had this backlog to download if it didn't remind me every time.

    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    I'm getting a lot of "too many cards open" messages and wondering if it could have anything to do with auto-update downloading a large file (like Buzz Out Loud Video)...or something else, pertaining to prepod and/or auto-update. I need to install the different top programs you discussed as regular top is hard to use for me.
    I don't think it has to do with downloading or auto-update. However, it is possible that if you have a lot of feeds, especially feeds that keep a lot of episodes (I mean a total of 5000 episodes or something) that the memory requirements could be getting a little extreme. This is something I definitely need to look into in the future.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions