View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 30 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2025262728293031323334354080 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    So apparantly, hitting update while background downloads are taking place aborts those downloads
    I've never seen this happen, nor can I reproduce it. Have you reproduced it? How many downloads were going? Do the downloads stop immediately, or once the feeds finish updating?

Quote Originally Posted by remmysmom View Post
    For some reason, prepod stopped updated my feeds. When I click on the loop symbol, it goes through all the feeds but does not acknowledge there are any new episodes, even though I know there are. I have restarted my device thinking maybe something went goofy, but still nothing. No new episodes on any of my feeds.
    What do you mean by "acknowledge there are any new episodes"? The only way (currently) to know there are new episodes is to go into the episode list. Or, if you have auto-download setup, it will start the downloads, or notify you that you need wifi if your preferences are set to download only over wifi. Can you give me some more details on this?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamya View Post
    Is there a problem with the Pre Cast channel that is included in this app. For some reason itís not updating with the latest episode. Thinking that this would fix the problem, I deleted the Pre Cast Channel from the app and tried to add it manually. Unfortunately that did not work. I tried using the search feature and it did not find it. I canít even add the channel anymore.

Any help is much appreciated.
    The address I have for the PalmCast is PalmCast
    The latest episode is #70, from last week. #71 will be up sometime this afternoon.

PalmCast doesn't show up in DigitalPodcast, but Dieter is adding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    The address I have for the PalmCast is PalmCast
    The latest episode is #70, from last week. #71 will be up sometime this afternoon.

PalmCast doesn't show up in DigitalPodcast, but Dieter is adding it.
    Thanks! and BTW your app ROCKS! And I am planning on donating soon. Thanks agian
    I do a compare of episodes with Prepod and Itunes. Itunes is telling me that there are a total of 7 new episodes for the podcasts that I have in my list, however, when I am in Prepod and click on the update in the right hand bottom corner, it goes through the list of feeds and doesn't find any new episodes, even though I know there are at least 7. Is this clear?
    hmagoo, you kind of read my mind on some of these. Hope you don't mind if I jump in on them...

Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    is there a way to only update a certain feed? if not, could that be added?
    Refresh on a feed is a good suggestion, I'll put it on the list.
    +1

decrease the text size for the episode list, I would like to be able to attain just a bit more information from that screen. This comes into play with feeds from NPR and such that have longer title names but cannot be automatically shortened.
    Yeah, the long titles have been quite annoying. It's a title, folks! (talking to podcast authors here) Not a description! Sheesh I haven't found a good way to deal with that. The rows need to be large enough for click targets, and the font needs to be a good size for reading, and I'd rather not wrap titles... I just don't know what to do with that yet.
    I was wanting this for a while too, but I'm kind of leaning toward drnull's arguments against it now. The clean, simple look of that screen is nice. I think instead of changing the list screen, enabling navigation between episodes from within the episode details screen would help with this. That screen shows the whole title (and the show notes). If I'm scanning through episodes, it's a pain to have to swipe back out then tap back in to the next one. Previous Episode and Next Episode buttons on the ep details screen would make it easier.

Another possibility is to look at how the email app allows you to "stretch" an entry when you're in the Inbox view. I find the "stretch" gesture a bit awkward myself, but it kind of addresses the same issue... keeping the list simple while still providing a way to see more when you want it.

Enabling landscape view would help with long titles too. I imagine that's a bit of a PITA though.

also, having a nifty method of "saving" certain episodes (preventing auto-download from deleting them) would be wonderful
    Saving episodes? I'll consider it, but what is your use case here? Why would you have auto-delete on, but want to save certain episodes? Episodes with bookmarks should be exempted from auto-deletion
    My use case here would be the same as occasionally flagging Keep Until I Delete on TiVo after I've already watched something. For shows that I normally just want to let cycle through, there's occasionally a really interesting episode that I want to hang on to for a while so I can reference something from it. Usually not forever. Just until I get around to logging whatever the interesting little tidbit was. Sticking a bookmark 5 seconds into the ep seems a viable workaround for PrePod, but a KUID toggle on the ep detail screen would probably be appreciated by at least some of the users.

Oh, and speaking of clean-up, if I manually delete a bookmarked episode (listened half way through and decided it wasn't worth finishing), shouldn't the bookmark get deleted along with it? Right now, we have to delete the episode, then open the menu and delete the bookmark separately.

(btw, this is still by far my favorite app to come out of homebrew so far)
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    It is. Downloads are limited to 1mbps it seems, regardless of which interface the download is going over. My guess? WebOS code that initializes curl assumes the download will be over EVDO and limits the speed. Total speculation, though. I have been unable to speed it up.
    re: Palm Developer Forum thread

Refresh on a feed is a good suggestion, I'll put it on the list.
    Correct, I leave behind a bit of litter in the .albumArt directory. However, it's all under the PerPod directory, and doesn't show up in the Photos app (as the .albumArt directory is hidden). I can fix this for the most part, but I didn't see it as a big deal.
    The removal of the feed directory cleanup is a bit more difficult. I'm pretty sure I delete all downloaded episodes when a feed is deleted, though.
    Yeah, the long titles have been quite annoying. It's a title, folks! (talking to podcast authors here) Not a description! Sheesh I haven't found a good way to deal with that. The rows need to be large enough for click targets, and the font needs to be a good size for reading, and I'd rather not wrap titles... I just don't know what to do with that yet.
    Saving episodes? I'll consider it, but what is your use case here? Why would you have auto-delete on, but want to save certain episodes? Episodes with bookmarks should be exempted from auto-deletion, that code is fairly straightforward. If that feature is not working properly, it's a bug, let me know.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Just clarification here - you basically want PrePod to stop playing if ... let's say, the display has been off for x minutes?

It stops playing when it reaches the end of your episode. Course, it will also delete the episode if so configured...
    Just be able to set it to play for say 30 or 60 min then stop/pause.
    That way I can listen at night to the Pre but not have it have to play the entire thing when I fall asleep. I can then continue within that time frame not missing anything. I may have to go back a bit but it is easier than playing the entire thing from the start. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I do a compare of episodes with Prepod and Itunes. Itunes is telling me that there are a total of 7 new episodes for the podcasts that I have in my list, however, when I am in Prepod and click on the update in the right hand bottom corner, it goes through the list of feeds and doesn't find any new episodes, even though I know there are at least 7. Is this clear?
    Sort of, yes, but are you saying that if you click on that podcast and see the episodes that are displayed there, you don't see the new episodes?

I still don't know what you mean by "doesn't find any new episodes". It doesn't popup a dialog box saying "I've found new episodes" or anything like that...

Can you please post the feed url that you are having problems with?

Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    [single feed update] +1
    This one is done already, it was trivial (next update)

I think instead of changing the list screen, enabling navigation between episodes from within the episode details screen would help with this.... Previous Episode and Next Episode buttons on the ep details screen would make it easier.
    I need to do this, as well as putting some useful operations into the Episode Details screen (such as download/delete/clear bookmark/cancel download/etc)

Another possibility is to look at how the email app allows you to "stretch" an entry when you're in the Inbox view.
    Um, no thanks. I find that gesture a bit of a "stretch" myself.

Enabling landscape view would help with long titles too. I imagine that's a bit of a PITA though.
    That might actually be easier than you think. I'll try it out and see if it messes up the placement of things too much.

My use case here would be the same as occasionally flagging Keep Until I Delete on TiVo after I've already watched something. For shows that I normally just want to let cycle through, there's occasionally a really interesting episode that I want to hang on to for a while so I can reference something from it. Usually not forever. Just until I get around to logging whatever the interesting little tidbit was. Sticking a bookmark 5 seconds into the ep seems a viable workaround for PrePod, but a KUID toggle on the ep detail screen would probably be appreciated by at least some of the users.

Oh, and speaking of clean-up, if I manually delete a bookmarked episode (listened half way through and decided it wasn't worth finishing), shouldn't the bookmark get deleted along with it? Right now, we have to delete the episode, then open the menu and delete the bookmark separately.
    Boy, this is a compelling argument, but I'm a little resistant to this concept still. It would introduce complications, and more complaints, I think (Why isn't that episode going away? I finished it already!) There isn't a lot of UI space to indicate flags like that. I appreciate the input, but I'm not going to head down this path right now.

Deleting a bookmarked episode, yeah, I guess what I thought was if, for whatever reason, you wanted to delete the file, maybe you'd want to keep the bookmark in case you wanted to go back and listen from there in the future (through streaming or re-downloading and resuming). Making it two separate actions gives you that ability. I'm close to removing the swipe action period. It doesn't "truly" remove things from the list (nor do I plan on removing episodes from the list). So hijacking that gesture is slightly violating the Palm UI Guidelines.
    Boy, this is a compelling argument, but I'm a little resistant to this concept still. It would introduce complications, and more complaints, I think (Why isn't that episode going away? I finished it already!) There isn't a lot of UI space to indicate flags like that. I appreciate the input, but I'm not going to head down this path right now.
    Understood. Thanks for considering it.

[on deleting bookmarks] I guess what I thought was if, for whatever reason, you wanted to delete the file, maybe you'd want to keep the bookmark in case you wanted to go back and listen from there in the future (through streaming or re-downloading and resuming). Making it two separate actions gives you that ability.
    I can see that. Seems like a fringe case to me personally, but that's just my take.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    When it finds a new episode, it shows reflects the number in red. The number is still 0 when I know from Itunes that there are new episodes. One of the feeds is NCB Nightly News. The last episode prepod received was Mon. Aug 17, but according to Itunes, there is an episode for Tues. Aug 18. Prepod isn't finding it. The url is NBC Nightly News (audio)
    Just as a side note, I added this as a new feed and it found the new episode, even though the old (exactly the same) feed did not.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Just as a side note, I added this as a new feed and it found the new episode, even though the old (exactly the same) feed did not.
    Great, thanks for specifying the feed! I'll look into it. Would you mind private messaging me the others so I can verify that they get fixed as well?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I've never seen this happen, nor can I reproduce it. Have you reproduced it? How many downloads were going? Do the downloads stop immediately, or once the feeds finish updating?
    Here's the steps as I think they happened -
    prepod was downloading automatically (I hadn't asked it to, and it was closed.. saw the notification)

I started prepod and hit update. saw the little circle making it's way down the list. almost immediately got download aborted messages twice (once for each feed I guess that was downloading..)

Or maybe they were the new feeds it wanted to grab but gave up on as there were already 2 feeds downloading in the background?

-mark
    I'm sorry if this has been suggested already. But aside from any suggestions I've already made, I'd like to know what the two fast forward or rewind buttons on either side of the play/pause button represent. They don't always seem to work very well for me. They should also have a different icon if they do separate things.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    I'm sorry if this has been suggested already. But aside from any suggestions I've already made, I'd like to know what the two fast forward or rewind buttons on either side of the play/pause button represent. They don't always seem to work very well for me. They should also have a different icon if they do separate things.
    Haha, fair enough. Sorry, that's one of those things that snuck in early and I never got around to fixing it. They definitely need different icons.
    -60, -20, play/pause, +20, +60
    Those map to these keyboard keys for ease of use while driving or whatever.
    shift, @, space, ., Sym

They appear to not work sometimes because WebOS is not very responsive about jumping around in an audio file. They seem to work quite a bit better in a stream, I believe. You will notice the same effect in the built-in player, if you hold down the fast forward button, sometimes it won't actually move you around in playback at all.
    same here. NPR Hourly News Summary
    NPR: Hourly News Summary Podcast
    using auto-download, "keep at most" 1 or 2 usually. I tried getting it to update, then just did the delete and re-add feed and it found the newest episode.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the episode list being updated to what is currently available on the web.
    Interesting thing is I remember in PrePod the episode list was long, and in the actual feed it is (always?) only one episode.
    I'm thinking that NPR is probably doing something funky here.

Edit, and not relating to the episode list being updated: I have to use the Update button in the main scene twice to get it to auto-download newly found episodes. Palmcast came out and it didn't start downloading the newly found episode until it was refreshed the second time. I let the update finish completely before checking to see if it was downloading.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 08/19/2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Thanks for that speed comparison. But, are you serious? It normally takes much longer for me. I've compared speeds in PrePod vs speeds from the command line (on the Pre) using wget and wget is typically 7-8x the speed of downloads in PrePod. Maybe you have a magic Pre.

I know that there's a limit on how much through put is allowed. I wasnt aware of just what that limit was. Thanks for that tidbit. I'll see if there's anyway to... Play with it.

Seriously though it takes, literally, 30 seconds to download an entire engadget podcast over wifi. The PalmCast takes almost no time as well.

My phone came in a black box though. I've heard speculation some of these devices are "different" than the whitebox 1.0.2 installed handsets. Perhaps that's it? Surely not though... Or Shirley if you enjoy being addressed thusly.

My Pre is only magic because it has PrePod installed!
    It is. Downloads are limited to 1mbps it seems, regardless of which interface the download is going over. My guess? WebOS code that initializes curl assumes the download will be over EVDO and limits the speed. Total speculation, though. I have been unable to speed it up.
    re: Palm Developer Forum thread

no response from palm?

fingers crossed that they open this up.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I'm still pretty sure it's the flash memory that is just really slow, not any issues with downloading. Even copying over music via USB takes forever.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    When I have PrePod open and its downloading over EVDO or wifi I sometimes get some sluggish or non responsive screen scrolling. Additionally, under the same circumstances, and I'm listening to a podcast with the OEM music player, I occassionaly experience some skipping/brief pauses. Thankyou for giving us a product that provides the ability to get the latest podcast episode without connecting to my computer.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    same here. NPR Hourly News Summary
    NPR: Hourly News Summary Podcast
    using auto-download, "keep at most" 1 or 2 usually. I tried getting it to update, then just did the delete and re-add feed and it found the newest episode.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the episode list being updated to what is currently available on the web.
    Interesting thing is I remember in PrePod the episode list was long, and in the actual feed it is (always?) only one episode.
    I'm thinking that NPR is probably doing something funky here.
    Ahh, stink. I remember seeing this once while out traveling and I forgot to fix it when I got back. Thanks for helping me find this bug by providing your db file, remmysmom.

When you connect to some wifi hotspots, they redirect all traffic to a "landing page", and then once you sign in and agree to their terms of service, they redirect you on to where you were originally trying to go. So, the process is something like this:

PrePod: Update feed athttp://feeds.feedburner.com/TreocentralTreoCast
    HotSpot: Nah, why don't you sign in first here: https://myfreewifi.com/auth?url=http...entralTreoCast
    PrePod: Whaa? I'm confused. Dieing now.

This would be all fine and good, but in an effort to make future feed updates take less time, I had PrePod keep track of when a feed was being redirected, and I saved the redirected address over top of the original address. This was obviously a bad decision.

I'll have that fixed in the next version. In the meantime, try not to let PrePod update while you are connected to a WiFi hotspot that redirects links through a login page (or at least login and agree to the terms of service before you allow PrePod to update)

And if you have feeds that aren't updating, you may want to check the feed url to see if it has been thusly munged. Warning, though, if you change a feed's URL, all information about the episodes in that feed is lost. So you may be better off just adding a new feed to replace the old one.

Sorry about this bug, for everyone affected. It will be resolved in the next release.

Edit, and not relating to the episode list being updated: I have to use the Update button in the main scene twice to get it to auto-download newly found episodes. Palmcast came out and it didn't start downloading the newly found episode until it was refreshed the second time. I let the update finish completely before checking to see if it was downloading.
    I see that, I think it actually is downloading, it's just not updating the display. I'll throw this in the bug queue as well.
    Last edited by drnull; 08/20/2009 at 08:22 AM.