View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

    360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

    89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

    42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

    39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

    54 9.25%
Page 29 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1924252627282930313233343979 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #561  
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Yes, I'm afraid this is unavoidable. On pause, I cycle through the buffer XOR'ing each byte with the previous byte to ensure that the bits don't stagnate. This is necessary as . . .

    Sorry. It's been one of those days. I'll look into it.

    For the humor impaired, that was a joke...
    Stagnated bits, eh? Man, I hate when that happens. Nothing but the freshest bits for me!
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
  2. #562  
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    Stagnated bits, eh? Man, I hate when that happens. Nothing but the freshest bits for me!
    So I did just verify I have no problem when pausing a downloaded episode, only a streaming one. I guess that should have been obvious though, downloaded bits never go stale.
  3. #563  
    Quote Originally Posted by retsamhgiht View Post
    1. Best-app-ever.

    2. Doesn't handle podshifter URLs too gracefully. FYI, check out PodShifter - Your podcasts; shifted faster. .

    The way the site works:

    1. You enter your podcast url and select how much you want them to speed up your podcast
    2. It gives you back a url to your podcast via podshifter.
    3. When you request the podcast via podshifter for the first time that day (or hour or whatever), it will add the "speeding up" process to its queue. Since that's not always instantaneous, you may receive a 403 error the first time querying.
    4. Query again and again, sometimes up to 30 mins.
    5. Eventually, you'll receive a perfectly good, regular, normal, 1.? times as fast version of your podcast via that URL.

    Works seamlessly in itunes...

    On prepod, I get a nasty error the first time, rather than a simple 403. You may want to consider putting a special case for podshifter, if for no reason other than it's the coolest service ever for people who listen to lotsa podcasts. Listenin to TWIT at 1.2x the speed sounds almost identical, yet cuts down on almost 20% of the time it takes to listen
    Funny, I'm having same issue. Anybody else?
  4. flamand's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    #564  
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Hmm, so that url has apparently changed.
    talk of the nation podcast - Google Search
    First link:
    NPR: Talk of the Nation Opinion Page Podcast : NPR Podcasts
    xml feed in text box:
    NPR: Talk of the Nation Opinion Page Podcast
    Should work. Try a similar search with the others you were having trouble finding.
    Sheesh, they have so many different types of URLs at NPR. The one you came up with above is actually for a short recurring segment on the program. I'm able to get some, but not all Talk of the Nation stories at:

    w w w .npr.org/templates/rss/podcast/TOTNPodcast.xml

    This is different from the xml in the NPR podcast directory:

    w w w .npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=5

    I'm still trying to come up with working urls for the main news programs:

    Morning Edition: w w w .npr.org/rss/rss.php?id=3 (this doesn't work, but if you add a # at the end, the story list shows up)

    All Things Considered: feeds.feedburner.com/NprProgramsATC?id=2

    I remember hearing the NPR local affiliates were very didn't want the morning and afternoon news show available on the internet, so this might be a hopeless cause.

    Thanks anyway for looking into it. And thanks for my favorite homebrew!
  5. #565  
    I've searched this thread and can't seem to find an answer.

    How do I get the audio to play through my Bluetooth plantronics headset instead of the phone speaker? Actually, how do I accomplish this with the built in music app as well?

    Thanks.
  6. #566  
    drnull thank you again for developing great app and not making it a must donate x.xx amount to get it.
    i will be donating soon thanks again
  7. #567  
    I don't suppose there is a way to be able to stream the live palmcast from precentral?

    Waiting for the podcast to show up takes too long =)
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
  8. Romanmb's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #568  
    Is there any way to add username and password support in order to download from rss feeds?
  9. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #569  
    Quote Originally Posted by jauderho View Post
    Waiting for the podcast to show up takes too long =)
    Haha, I was thinking the same thing while watching the live show last night. I think we need a ustream app for the Pre.

    Quote Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
    Is there any way to add username and password support in order to download from rss feeds?
    Not yet, but it's on the todo list.

    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    How do I get the audio to play through my Bluetooth plantronics headset instead of the phone speaker? Actually, how do I accomplish this with the built in music app as well?
    I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but if it's not working in the built-in music player, then it won't work in PrePod. I'd suggest finding the manual, or something on the Plantronics website.

    It is a bluetooth headset for listening to music (A2DP enabled), right? Not just for taking phone calls?

    If it's a real headset, then just pair it to the Pre, and music should automatically play over it. If it's a headset just for making calls, then I don't think the Pre supports playing music over that.
  10. #570  
    Hi, I have not read this thread, sorry if this is a repeat.
    Can we have a sleep timer?
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

    Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

    Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  11. #571  
    this app is incredible!
    is there a way to only update a certain feed? if not, could that be added?
    my dsl is only 1MB and don't always want to update all of the feeds I have on auto-download to update, but would love to be able to update one.
    also, when browsing the media/internal directory (usb drive) it looks as if directories, and possibly files, like thumbnails/images, are not removed when you delete a feed.
    a few suggestions: decrease the text size for the episode list, I would like to be able to attain just a bit more information from that screen. This comes into play with feeds from NPR and such that have longer title names but cannot be automatically shortened.
    also, having a nifty method of "saving" certain episodes (preventing auto-download from deleting them) would be wonderfulas I'm_not_sure if those with bookmarks are being saved from deletion, and thats not exactly the best way to keep them around anyways.
    Last edited by hmagoo; 08/19/2009 at 12:09 AM.
  12. #572  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhack View Post
    I've searched this thread and can't seem to find an answer.

    How do I get the audio to play through my Bluetooth plantronics headset instead of the phone speaker? Actually, how do I accomplish this with the built in music app as well?

    Thanks.

    pair the devices and voila music via bluetooth.

    i just did this with a sony bluetooth speakers. it works with all the sounds that come out of the pre.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  13. #573  
    btw, is it me or is the pre wifi connection slow when downloading stuff?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  14. einnyen's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #574  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    btw, is it me or is the pre wifi connection slow when downloading stuff?
    I had initially thought it was slow as well. I setup an inhouse competition between my pre, my daughters htc touch, my wife's blackberry, and my son's pre.

    Honestly I have to say that the Pre handles wifi downloads rather quickly comparatively speaking. Normally on takes 30 seconds to download an engadget, gdgt, or precentral podcast. Bill O'Reilly talking points downloads in under ten seconds.
  15. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #575  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    btw, is it me or is the pre wifi connection slow when downloading stuff?
    It is. Downloads are limited to 1mbps it seems, regardless of which interface the download is going over. My guess? WebOS code that initializes curl assumes the download will be over EVDO and limits the speed. Total speculation, though. I have been unable to speed it up.
    re: Palm Developer Forum thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    this app is incredible!
    is there a way to only update a certain feed? if not, could that be added?
    my dsl is only 1MB and don't always want to update all of the feeds I have on auto-download to update, but would love to be able to update one.
    also, when browsing the media/internal directory (usb drive) it looks as if directories, and possibly files, like thumbnails/images, are not removed when you delete a feed.
    a few suggestions: decrease the text size for the episode list, I would like to be able to attain just a bit more information from that screen. This comes into play with feeds from NPR and such that have longer title names but cannot be automatically shortened.
    also, having a nifty method of "saving" certain episodes (preventing auto-download from deleting them) would be wonderfulas I'm_not_sure if those with bookmarks are being saved from deletion, and thats not exactly the best way to keep them around anyways.
    Refresh on a feed is a good suggestion, I'll put it on the list.
    Correct, I leave behind a bit of litter in the .albumArt directory. However, it's all under the PerPod directory, and doesn't show up in the Photos app (as the .albumArt directory is hidden). I can fix this for the most part, but I didn't see it as a big deal.
    The removal of the feed directory cleanup is a bit more difficult. I'm pretty sure I delete all downloaded episodes when a feed is deleted, though.
    Yeah, the long titles have been quite annoying. It's a title, folks! (talking to podcast authors here) Not a description! Sheesh I haven't found a good way to deal with that. The rows need to be large enough for click targets, and the font needs to be a good size for reading, and I'd rather not wrap titles... I just don't know what to do with that yet.
    Saving episodes? I'll consider it, but what is your use case here? Why would you have auto-delete on, but want to save certain episodes? Episodes with bookmarks should be exempted from auto-deletion, that code is fairly straightforward. If that feature is not working properly, it's a bug, let me know.

    Thanks for the great feedback!

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    Can we have a sleep timer?
    Just clarification here - you basically want PrePod to stop playing if ... let's say, the display has been off for x minutes?

    It stops playing when it reaches the end of your episode. Course, it will also delete the episode if so configured...
  16. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #576  
    Quote Originally Posted by einnyen View Post
    Honestly I have to say that the Pre handles wifi downloads rather quickly comparatively speaking. Normally on takes 30 seconds to download an engadget, gdgt, or precentral podcast. Bill O'Reilly talking points downloads in under ten seconds.
    Thanks for that speed comparison. But, are you serious? It normally takes much longer for me. I've compared speeds in PrePod vs speeds from the command line (on the Pre) using wget and wget is typically 7-8x the speed of downloads in PrePod. Maybe you have a magic Pre.
  17. #577  
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post

    I'm not sure exactly how to do this, but if it's not working in the built-in music player, then it won't work in PrePod. I'd suggest finding the manual, or something on the Plantronics website.

    It is a bluetooth headset for listening to music (A2DP enabled), right? Not just for taking phone calls?

    If it's a real headset, then just pair it to the Pre, and music should automatically play over it. If it's a headset just for making calls, then I don't think the Pre supports playing music over that.
    Ah woops, thats the problem - not an A2DP headset. I hadn't kept up on different bluetooth profiles. Thanks for the heads up.
  18. #578  
    Is there a problem with the Pre Cast channel that is included in this app. For some reason it’s not updating with the latest episode. Thinking that this would fix the problem, I deleted the Pre Cast Channel from the app and tried to add it manually. Unfortunately that did not work. I tried using the search feature and it did not find it. I can’t even add the channel anymore.

    Any help is much appreciated.
  19. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #579  
    So apparantly, hitting update while background downloads are taking place aborts those downloads
    -mark
  20. #580  
    For some reason, prepod stopped updated my feeds. When I click on the loop symbol, it goes through all the feeds but does not acknowledge there are any new episodes, even though I know there are. I have restarted my device thinking maybe something went goofy, but still nothing. No new episodes on any of my feeds.

    Any suggestions? Did something happen?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions