View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 26 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930313676 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    Couple of suggestions for further possible improvements down the road:
    1) Playlist feature
    2) Recently downloaded
    Thanks for the suggestions. Recently downloaded was on my original "written on a napkin" design document. Playlist support is something that I have had several requests for, and I am still figuring out in my head on how custom playlists would work. 2) will probably come soon, as it is something I've wanted all along (in particular, the option to set a feed as a "favorite", and then you could see all of your "favorite" feeds' new episodes, both downloaded and undownloaded, on one screen). In addition, all episode list screens need a play from oldest and play from newest option. All in time.

Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    What starts the clock on the d/l interval? If I set my d/l interval to 24 hrs, what time of day will that actually run?
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Question do automatic updates work when prepod isn't running? Also would love to schedule the actual times to update. (ie - for me, at night only while on wifi and charging)
    Ahh, another documentation failure... The clock starts when you set the option. So it's a "from when I set this option, in X hours, run the update". And when an update finishes running, it resets the clock. I definitely want to add a custom option that takes you to a screen where you choose more advanced scheduling, taking into account wifi, powered, time of day, day of week, etc. I just need to spend some time drawing it up. It runs in the background all the time, even when PrePod is closed. Maybe that can be an advanced option.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi4u View Post
    That is correct - only PAM and Datacard. Data used on your handset under your Powervision and Vision plan is NOT impacted.

We DO NOT have a 5gb cap on our internet usage, This is for air cards and PAM ONLY.
    Well that is definitely great news. I'll have to do some researching to ensure that using PrePod will still be ok (remember, PrePod is named under the com.palm domain, and uses a downloading service that Palm has not yet exposed to 3rd parties). If I find it is acceptable, I'll remove the warnings in the next version, but thank you for the links and research.

Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Awesome PrePod update! The only thing I've noticed is that when updating feeds on the background the Pre slows down a bit and if I'm streaming music it will pause. Could you check on that?
    I'll give it a look. I've seen this problem with certain podcasts that I don't listen to that keep all 1000 or whatever episodes in the .xml file (I'm looking at you, keithandthegirl... do you have any idea how long it takes the Pre to parse an xml file that big??)

Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    Two things I would like to see implemented are an opening screen to make it feel more polished, if people think this will put too much time in between opening the app and listening to your podcast then maybe make it customizable whether it displays on open or not? Second, I would like play/pause controls in the notifications bar so if I'm listening to a podcast and want to pause it, I can do so without switching back to the open card. I don't know how easy that would be to implement but it would be a game changing option to bring this already excellent app to a completely new level of usability.
    Thanks for the feedback! Yes, there is already an opening "splash" screen that I just need to throw a graphic on (the loading feeds screen). It definitely doesn't slow down the app enough to warrant an option for turning it off.
    A notification bar is desperately needed for those of us who don't use bluetooth headphones.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Seach feature:

Wow, this makes the app about 100 times more usable for me. Until now, I've been scouring the net for the shows that interest me, finding out if they even actually have a podcast available, digging to find the right xml address, painstakingly typing them in one at a time and hoping I don't get a typo. My subscribe list has just increased five-fold, and I'm checking out podcasts I never knew existed, nor would have given a chance to hear based on the nuisance of subscribing. Now auditing a show is just a couple of clicks, based on search results. This feature is to PrePod what FileCoaster is to Homebrew Apps.

It would be even nicer if I could return to the search results instead of typing in the same query every time I subscribe to something. But this is a small price to pay for the amazingly increased ability to find and subscribe to feeds. Thanks for the awesome update.

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Ahh, another documentation failure... The clock starts when you set the option. So it's a "from when I set this option, in X hours, run the update". And when an update finishes running, it resets the clock. I definitely want to add a custom option that takes you to a screen where you choose more advanced scheduling, taking into account wifi, powered, time of day, day of week, etc. I just need to spend some time drawing it up. It runs in the background all the time, even when PrePod is closed. Maybe that can be an advanced option.
    Hmm.. yeah, please make that an option (background downloading when prepod is closed..) - Personally if I'm travelling (I'm a consultant so travel quite a bit), I don't want my pre doing any more work then it has to..

-mark
    drnull I have G4TV.com video podcast which shows 578 podcasts in PrePod. I seriously don't think I will ever watch them all. Maybe a setting to limit the number a podcasts the xml reads would speed things up.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    The ability to search clinches it. I have to donate now.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    drnull I have G4TV.com video podcast which shows 578 podcasts in PrePod. I seriously don't think I will ever watch them all. Maybe a setting to limit the number a podcasts the xml reads would speed things up.
    Sadly, this just illustrates the problem. When I connect to a feed, I am using the prototypejs Ajax.Request object. I send the request, and it gives me back the xml object. I can't control how much is read (to my knowledge). So not even removing the episodes from the list would help. I'm not giving up on this problem, I'm just stating that I don't have a good solution to it yet. Always open to suggestions, though. Btw, watching the logs, while PrePod is running, I know this is a HUGE memory problem (and probably the reason that your streaming skips while updating). Cool Video Game Previews podcast, btw.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Hmm.. also need an easy way to pause automatic downloads... (turning off wifi is one option, but ) - although having an option to only download when prepod is loaded would get around that issue..

I noticed that both the official appstore program and filecoaster can't download while prepod is downloading
    -mark
    Last edited by diomark; 08/16/2009 at 05:22 PM.
    Incredible app. MUCH better than the music player that comes with the pre which is just sad. Only addition I would love to see is the ability to sync with an app on the pc. That way you could download podcasts on the pc (which would be a lot faster) and then sync it with PrePod. And still have the option to download over Sprint network or wifi if you had to. It just seems to take so long much longer to download over wifi on the phone than what you would think. Especially if you listen to a lot of 30-45 minutes podcasts like I do.
    Would it be possible to override the default order used by a feed? One of my regular podcasts uses ascending date order to list episodes, so in PrePod the newest episode is always at the bottom of the list.

Also, is it necessary to delete PrePod before installing the updated version?