View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 24 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425262728293474 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    this is awesome! i'm enjoying
    Yeah, I've noticed the NFL app seems to stop videos a little early too.
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    WebOS 1.1.0 Required.

PrePod v0.3.6

• Album art is now downloaded once and resized before being displayed. This should do 2 things - first, load time will be faster since we aren't making a bunch of images to display. Second, scrolling should be less painful since WebOS isn't trying to move huge, scaled down images around. Instead, it is moving thumbnails around. On your first load after installing this update, all album art will appear to be blank. Refresh once to see the locally cached album art.
      • Related to this, there is a bug in WebOS where 8 bit images can't be resized using the built-in extractfs process. The feed album art will be either blank, or look corrupted (album art that looks stretched is normal) To resolve this, use the following method once after adding a feed:

1. Exit out of PrePod after adding a feed and seeing a distorted image
      2. Plug your Pre into your computer using the USB cable and choose USB Drive.
      3. Browse to E:\PrePod\.albumArt where E is the drive that your Pre is mounted.
      4. Right click on the picture with the name [FEED TITLE]
      5. Select Edit (or Open With->Paint)
      6. Select File->Save As, and under Save as Type, select JPG
      7. Remove the USB cable from the Pre
      8. Launch PrePod
      9. Edit the feed with the distorted image
      10. Change the extension of the Album Art image (the 3rd text box) to .JPG instead of (.BMP, .PNG, or .GIF)

• Changing video playback to be in a scene inside of PrePod. Still no bookmarking/resuming, but this is a little cleaner. Plus, some videos that didn't work before work now... odd.
    • If episodes don't have GUID's, making the unique link be link+title+date string (should fix Morning X on 101X)

Download from the PreCentral Homebrew App Gallery

Donations
    Enough people have asked about donations that I will go ahead and put this here. I do not plan on having a donation-only version. Feel free to donate, but there is no obligation.

PayPal Donation Link

I am writing PrePod because I need a good podcatcher that does what I want it to do. Even the "mature" Windows Mobile solutions I've used in the past disappointed me, so I decided to start early and make it like I like it. PrePod is still beta, but as a developer, bugs bug me, so when my code isn't working correctly, I'll try to fix it as soon as I can.
    Note
    There are currently 2 bugs in LunaSysMgr (the WebOS module that handles downloads) that directly impact PrePod's ability to properly download podcast episodes.
    1. Redirection
      This is the most annoying problem. Almost all podcasts post a URL for an episode that will redirect multiple times. LunaSysMgr fails to redirect all the way to the end, so I have to try to work around the problem. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. I have notified Palm of this problem, hopefully they will solve it. View topic - downloadmanager does not follow redirects all the way
    2. Directories ending in spaces cause LunaSysMgr to dump core
      This one is just amusing. If your feed title ends in a space, then attempting to save an episode will cause WebOS to restart. Simply remove the ending space from your feed title to fix this problem. 0.3.6 will fix this automatically. View topic - Bug in downloadmanager causes LunaSysMgr to crash

Tragically, though, downloadmanager is not officially open to 3rd party developers yet, so they may choose to ignore my bug reports.

Usage
    1. Add your feeds
    2. Download episodes you're interested in
    3. Play Podcasts!

UI Description
    • Feed List Screen

• + button to add a feed
      • Refresh button to refresh the list of feeds
      • Feed icon should show up on first update, if the feed has one
      • Line under feed name is the latest episode name
      • 3 mini icons

• disk - number of episodes downloaded/saved
        • star - number of new episodes (their status is set to Unlistened)
        • pause - number of new episodes you've started listening to
      • Tap the mini icon area for feed operations: (Mark Listened & Edit Feed)
      • Swipe to delete
      • Reorder is supported
    • Episode List Screen

• Grayed out episodes are listened
      • Button on right:

• Blank - listened to, and no file is available
        • Green Down Arrow - Unlistened (new) episode, ready for download
        • Red X - Cancel current download
        • Blue Play - Episode ready to be played
        • Red Minus - Episode has been listened to, file still exists
      • Tap the button on the right for relevent menu choices

• Download, Stream, Resume, Restart, Mark [Un]Listened, Episode Details, Delete
        • Restart is the only method for going into an episode and starting from the beginning. All other methods will resume playback from your last saved position
    • Episode Details Screen:

• Episode Title
      • Playback scrubber with current time and time remaining

• also has a buffer indicator when streaming
      • Episode Description (scrollable)
      • Play/Pause/Download
      • +/-20, +/-60 seconds buttons
      • All playback operations *should* save your current position

PrePod v0.3.5

• Control via BT Headphones or Palm included headphones (pause/play, next/prev map to +/- 20 seconds)
    • WiFi should stay on through downloads as long as PrePod is open
    • Downloads go to /media/internal/PrePod/[FEED TITLE]/[EPISODE TITLE]-YYYYMMDD.[EXT]
    • Preferences added to Feed List menu
      • Show Album Art: ON displays album art, OFF hides it (if your display is laggy)
      • Show Feed Details: ON displays #Downloaded, #New, #Bookmarked, OFF shows only #New (reminder, an episode is considered "New" until you have finished listening to it or have manually marked it "Listened")
      • Enable Single Tap: ON icons in the Episode List do their default action with a tap, OFF a menu is brought up with actions to choose from

• Edit Feed command added to Episode List
    • Volume keys are now captured when the application is open so that they control media volume (instead of ringer volume)
    • AlbumArt is editable (make it a space to keep it from displaying)
    • Temp files are deleted on aborted downloads
    • Import/Export OPML now includes options from the feed configuration page (delete after playback, auto download, maximum downloads to keep, and replacement strings)

There is no automated updating/downloading yet, but if you load the app and press refresh, the following occurs

1. Feeds are refreshed
    2. Each feed is checked for unlistened episodes. If there are unlistened episodes, and the feed is configured to auto-download, then episodes will be downloaded up to "keep at most" (see the feed options).
    3. If there are more episodes downloaded than the keep at most setting is set to, they will be deleted (if there is no bookmark). Therefore, if you want to manage the episodes yourself, make sure you set keep at most to "All", or uncheck the "Auto-Download" option.

PrePod v0.3.3 (8/1)

• Rudimentary handling of redirects in mp3's (Eerie Radio is the basis for this)
    • Automatically update on first load after fresh install
    • Feed icons are set at 58px by 58px now. Some will be distorted, sorry!
    • OPML export via email, import via prepod.xml file (place prepod.xml into /media/internal - the root directory that is mounted when you plug your Pre into the USB port)
    • Hiding download/play commands if there is no enclosure (some feeds will occasionally send out informational episodes with no enclosure)
    • Add feed is its own scene now
    • Auto-downoading episodes (if configured) during refresh.
      NOTE: downloads 2 at a time. If you manually cancel any download,
      the rest of the downloads may hang (I'm looking into it but I don't think it's my fault)
    • Allowing per-feed replacements for episode titles in the episode list view
    • Auto-delete after finishing episode (if so configured)
    • Mark all listened/unlistened in episode list view
    • Download indicator on Feed List (spinner with number inside indicating how many episodes are downloading). Tap the spinner to get a popup to cancel the downloads.
    • DEFAULT ACTIONS

In an effort to reduce the clicks, I am introducing default actions. The default actions in the Episode List view are indicated by the icon on the right hand side of the Episode Row. If you tap this icon, you get a default action like
      • If the Episode is new, but not downloaded, the default action is to download it
      • If the Episode is downloading, the default action is to cancel the download (NO PROMPT)
      • If the Episode is downloaded, but not listened to yet, the default action is to play/resume it.
      • If the Episode has been listened to, the default action is to delete the file (NO PROMPT)
      • If none of the above apply, a popup gives you choices

You can always access the popup with contextually relevant choices by holding down instead of tapping. If you hold anywhere on the row until the row highlights, and then let go, you get the popup instead of the default action. If you are trying to get the popup menu, I would suggest holding on the title (not the default action button) so that if you let up too soon, you do not invoke the default action.
    • Swipe to delete in Episode view will delete and "mark as listened" downloaded episodes, or cancel a download.
    • Video playback is now "supported" (ok, sorta... when you try to play a video podcast, it will launch the built-in video player. No bookmarks are retained in video podcasts until I can get the video player brought into the application. Video podcasts thus will not be automatically marked as "listened", and thus, not automatically deleted when finished)
    • Lots of under the hood improvements that will make it easier for me to get background downloading working.

PrePod v0.3.1 (7/28)
    • Minor Bugfix: Newly added feeds would not store bookmarks or pause/play correctly
    • Fixed formatting issue with feeds having > 100 episodes
    • Note, 0.3.1 has a formatting issue for the feed icon, it will look too narrow on most feeds. That will be fixed whenever the next release comes. Don't know how I didn't notice that.

PrePod v0.3.0 (7/27)
    - Now using sqlite3 directly. I was able to add quite a few feeds in before I eventually hit an error (around 30 feeds or so). Please try adding your feeds a couple at a time and exit/restart PrePod to ensure they are still saving.
    Bookmark functionality is a bit more useful now. The Bookmark is still automatically saved, but now you should see a blue bar in the episode list to indicate playback progress. As with most other functions, you can tap the icon on the right to clear the bookmark. Also, the "pause" icon on the feed list screen indicates how many episodes are bookmarked.
    - When you finish an episode, the bookmark is cleared, and the episode is marked as "listened". You still have to manually delete the episode. Autodelete will come in the future.
    - Keyboard hotkeys. They're not configurable, but the bottom 5 keys on your keyboard (Shift, @, space, ., Sym) now correspond to the 5 (slightly changed) buttons on the Episode Detail screen (the player screen) - "Skip back 60 seconds", "Skip back 15 seconds", "Play/Pause", "Skip forward 15 seconds", "Skip forward 60 seconds".

WebOS 1.1.0 REQUIRED!
    The "ext:" prefix storage option for sqlite3 db's was not implemented correctly in 1.0.4. Please make sure you have upgraded.

Also, I am not importing your feeds from versions 0.2.2 and 0.2.3. I apologize for that, but I didn't want to risk bringing over any corrupted data. And I'm lazy.... Besides, with the storage problems of 0.2.2 and 0.2.3, you can't possibly have *that* many feeds. Right? I promise I will make every effort to keep future upgrades compatible with previous versions.

PrePod v0.2.3 (7/24)
    Fixed issue with servers not responding with a "Last-Modifed" header
    BUG:
    Sorry folks, there is a bug that I should have fixed on Monday. If you have too many feeds (I know, that's vague), the app will not save them. Until this is fixed, please add one feed at a time, and exit and come back in to ensure it has kept your feed.
    Technical details:
    The default set of feeds almost completely fills up the storage capacity the Pre allows for an application using the Depot storage system. I knew I needed to switch to using sqlite3 directly, I had no idea I needed to do so this early on. I am making progress on this and plan on releasing 0.2.5 tomorrow with this major bug fixed, then I'll get back to all the other bugs.
    PrePod v0.2.2 (7/24)
    Podcatcher/Podcast player

Known Bugs
    • Download/delete icon on the FeedDetails (player) screen does not work currently, I just haven't hooked it up.
    • Many bugs with streaming (resuming, recovering from errors [i.e., losing signal], etc. USE ONLY WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT IT MAY NOT WORK PROPERLY)
    • Rearranging feeds while a refresh operation is in progress will occasionally drop one of your feeds from the UI. It should still be there, just exit the app and come back in.
    • Throwing the card away during playback will not save your playback position
    • Sometimes the player icons get out of sync. They should still function, though (if you're playing and the icon is "play", just tap it once to let the player know it is playing, then pause will work)
    • Others too, feel free to submit bugs or suggestions

ToDo
    • improved streaming support, it's flaky currently
    • evaluate performance - I have no idea how much all this polling and such is affecting battery life.

• Polling while downloading (no big deal, you're streaming data, it's gonna suck battery)
      • Polling while playing (once a second, we get the position and update stuff. Still need to disable this when the application isn't active)
      • That should be all of the polling locations
    • auto update/auto download/auto delete (schedule based, and configurable)
    • bookmark position indicator
    • ui improvements in general
    • per-feed abbreviations that will get shortened in episode names ("Buzz Out Loud 1025: Amazon's New Kicks" could be shortened to "BOL1025: Amazon's New Kicks")

Notes
    This program is named com.palm.drnull.prepod instead of org.webosinternals.drnull.prepod simply because there were some services that I depend on that Palm has choosen not to open to all 3rd party developers. Until they open these services, this application must stay under the com.palm.* namespace. A general warning: Palm restricted some services to the com.palm.* namespace because some services contain "Dangerous Things". If you do not trust a developer, do not install an application with a com.palm.* namespace.
    License
    MIT License (LICENSE.txt)
    PrePod is Open Source Software and hosted at prepod in WebOS Applications - Gitorious

Credits
    I am not familiar with podcasts. Can prepod play fm radio/mms streams (windows media format)?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jai20 View Post
    Is this the reason that The Onion's video feeds do not work? The files are 15MB+. It shows the episodes but gives an error "No enclosure". Here is the feed link

Onion News Network
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    Seems to be a lot of "where do I find x podcast" type questions creeping in here again. I know it's tough to scan back through such a long thread, so I'm reposting here the earlier suggestion that those questions be posted to this thread --> http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-question.html
    Thanks for the redirection, muppet_funk. Answer to jai20's feed request has been posted over in that link.
    Quote Originally Posted by misternate View Post
    Love the app. I've been using 0.3.1 and love it.

I recently installed 0.3.3 and the app is stuck on the initial "Loading Feeds" screen. I've tried uninstall/reinstall, but with no luck. I also tried re-installing 0.3.1 but it won't install.

UPDATE
    I removed the db file and everything worked out smoothly... I had to reload my rss feeds, though.
    This happened to me as well. I'm a first-time user of prepod though. Uninstall/re-install made no difference. I'm using the latest version, 0.3.6 through filecoaster.
    Here's a use case that I'm kind of struggling with.

I've got a feed that posts numerous episodes a day. I only listen to about 1 in 5 of them. I don't always get around to checking in on it every day, so sometimes I've got about 10 to 15 of them that I need to scan through to see which I want to listen to. The titles are kind of vague, so I generally need to look at the ep's show notes to decide if I want to listen to it or skip it and mark it listened.

So this means 1) Tap an episode, 2) Read the notes, 3) Swipe backwards in gesture area (to get back to ep list), 4) Tap and hold (to get the menu), 5) Tap the Mark Listened option; then repeat all five steps for the next episode.

(4 and 5 could also be swipe ep off of screen then tap delete, but that's still two actions)

It would be more efficient if I could do this without going back to the ep list. I'm sure you do not want to over-clutter the episode screen, but I think Next / Prev buttons and a Listened / Unlistened toggle on that screen would be valuable. For my use case, that would mean one tap to mark listened, and then one tap to navigate to the next episode instead of tap, swipe, tap and hold, tap, tap.

Next / Prev could be the right and left edges of the title bar, kind of like the way the email app uses the left and right edges of the subject line. Not sure of the best place to put the toggle. Maybe right above or right below the scrub bar.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by WedgeTalon View Post
    This happened to me as well. I'm a first-time user of prepod though. Uninstall/re-install made no difference. I'm using the latest version, 0.3.6 through filecoaster.
    The first time you launch it, I think it tries to update several default feeds. How long did you let it run and what was your signal strength like at the time?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    The first time you launch it, I think it tries to update several default feeds. How long did you let it run and what was your signal strength like at the time?
    I think I found what the problem was with this today when I *gulp* corrupted my db. That was unhappy. Something about closing/opening/closing/opening really fast made the db really unhappy, and on the next load, the db was corrupted. (by the way, when you get your feeds to a point that you like them, please be smart and do the email export OPML thingy, so if something bad happens you don't have to go fishing for feeds again like I did...)

So when it came up, it had the empty feeds, and I swiped the card away really quick like because I thought maybe my old feeds could be salvaged. (they couldn't be). So next time I loaded it up, *I* was stuck in the loading loop. So at least I found where the problem was.

Solutions if you are stuck in the loading loop: wait for the next version, or delete the db file in /media/internal/.app-storage/file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.drnull.prepod_0/

I don't believe uninstalling fixes it as the db sticks around after uninstall, oddly enough. Maybe uninstalling and then installing 0.3.1 or 0.2.something would fix it for you, but it is probably more trouble than its worth.

Next version will be available on Saturday, assuming I can get past the last few little bugs...
    Is it possible to have a notification area when out of the app to control some functions. Sort of like the music app and pandora does.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Hey all.. just wondering if anyone has had any trouble subscribing to Afropop Worldwide. I haven't had any trouble with any other feeds so far.

Address is:
    Afropop Worldwide

if I don't add an optional title, it tells me:
    Error Parsing Feed
    Could not find title in feed:
    Afropop Worldwide

If I do add an optional title, it tells me:
    "Error Updating Feed".

It looks pretty straightforward to me. Am I do something wrong?
    Thanks for any help! Love the app!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    drnull,
    I just wanted to add that Mine is also stuck in the loading loop. I was in the process of adding feeds when I got notifications for mail and text. It locked up my phone for about 5 mins, Then it was bogged down real bad and I could not back out of anything, I had to let it sit for a while and then it started to do everthing I tried to do to back out all at once.
    Once The phone started to act somewhat normal I rebooted it and now when I open up prepod it is stuck in the loop. I've read you post on it may being that the db file got corrupted and I tried to reinstall to no avail, So I'll wait for the next upgrade.
    Just wanted to give you my experience, BTW, Love The App!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    Hey all.. just wondering if anyone has had any trouble subscribing to Afropop Worldwide. I haven't had any trouble with any other feeds so far.

Address is:
    Afropop Worldwide

Am I do something wrong?
    Don't think it's you. Feedvalidator.org notes several errors in the feed. If that feed has worked with other podcatchers, then maybe they're errors that PrePod's parser could be taught to handle.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi4u View Post
    drnull,
    I just wanted to add that Mine is also stuck in the loading loop. I was in the process of adding feeds when I got notifications for mail and text. It locked up my phone for about 5 mins, Then it was bogged down real bad and I could not back out of anything, I had to let it sit for a while and then it started to do everthing I tried to do to back out all at once.
    Very sorry about that... the loading loop problem will be fixed, but I'm not sure what causes the db to get corrupted. I've had it happen once, and very few others have. The update should be out soon, I just need to test stuff some more.

Don't think it's you. Feedvalidator.org notes several errors in the feed. If that feed has worked with other podcatchers, then maybe they're errors that PrePod's parser could be taught to handle.
    So this feed is a little weird. I'm sure you notice that if you go to that address in a browser, you see a normal web page. Well, that's what I get in PrePod, a normal webpage. Their server is supposed to detect that you are coming in via a podcast application and send you the appropriate feed xml instead of the html webpage. That's not happening for PrePod. I don't know what I need to change, but I'll look into it tonight to see why I get feed xml when using wget & curl, but I get a webpage when using prototypejs's Ajax Request (that's what PrePod uses).
    I have added a few xml feeds some of the album art went through however on others the Album Art does not show, How do I idnetify the Album art info to input into the album art space for example the feed below

ricksteves podcastmenu

Travel with Rick Steves
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    I have added a few xml feeds some of the album art went through however on others the Album Art does not show, How do I idnetify the Album art info to input into the album art space for example the feed below

Travel with Rick Steves
    This is one of the feeds I was mentioning in the first post. There is a bug in WebOS's handling of 8-bit graphics that I cannot do anything about.
    1. Exit out of PrePod after adding a feed and seeing a distorted (or missing) image
    2. Plug your Pre into your computer using the USB cable and choose USB Drive.
    3. Browse to E:\PrePod\.albumArt where E is the drive that your Pre is mounted.
    4. Right click on the picture with the name [FEED TITLE]
    5. Select Edit (or Open With->Paint)
    6. Select File->Save As, and under Save as Type, select JPG
    7. Remove the USB cable from the Pre
    8. Launch PrePod
    9. Edit the feed with the distorted image
    10. Change the extension of the Album Art image (the 3rd text box) to .JPG instead of (.BMP, .PNG, or .GIF)
    Specificially, when you plug in your Pre and choose USB Drive, you should navigate to E:\PrePod\.albumArt (where E is the drive that your Pre is mounted as). In there, you should see "Travel with Rick Steves.GIF". You should right click and select Edit. Once it opens in MS Paint, choose File->save as, and select JPG.

Safely remove hardware (icon in the system tray in windows) to "eject" the pre. Unplug the pre. Launch PrePod, edit the Travel with Rick Steves feed. Change the icon (the 3rd text box) so that the last 3 letters are JPG (instead of GIF).

*shew* should be good now.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Thanks drnull for your hard work on this great homebrew app!
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I am not familiar with podcasts. Can prepod play fm radio/mms streams (windows media format)?
    That was a seriously unnecessarily long quote.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    The Best App for the Pre. A must have
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    v0.4.0 released!
    PrePod v0.4.0 (8/15)
    • Background Updating/Downloading
      Preferences: Auto-Update, Update Interval, Download only over WiFi
      Dashboard Notifications for: Updating Feeds, Downloading Episodes, Downloaded Episodes, Downloads Pending WiFi
    • Basic Podcast Search Capability
      uses Digital Podcast, Type in a keyword, hit enter, click on a feed to add to your list
    • Streaming is quite a bit more stable now
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Wow...this app is amazing. New version is even better!

One thing is, I can't get some NPR feeds to work. It loads the feeds but I only get purple question marks. Not sure if it's a problem with the feed or what...anyone else had problems?

Here's the link I use that gets the purple question marks: NPR Programs: Morning Edition