View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 22 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1217181920212223242526273272 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    And now that you told me PrePod can't delete the file, I will be careful to hook up the usb and clean out these files. Until there is an update to fix this.

But I can't seem to get the videos of CNET to work. It tried to download them as it did originally when I first tried to make Crankygeeks work, so all I can assume is that it's not the right format and I can't find a different format being offered by CNET. Unless someone else knows the answer to this.
    PrePod can delete the file. Just tap&hold on an episode that is downloaded, and the option to delete the file will show up in a popup. Or, you can use the "slide to delete" gesture on an episode in the Episode List. This gesture will cancel a download or delete a download and mark the episode as listened.

As for the cnet videos, I've had good luck with most of the ones I've tried. Just make sure you don't select HD Video podcast feeds.

http://www.cnet.com/podcasts/
    http://bolvideopodcast.cnettv.com/
    http://buzzreportpodcast.cnettv.com/
    http://prizefightpodcast.cnettv.com/
    etc
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Feature request:

I love that prepod has automatic downloading..

But I would love more configuraiton options around this. Perhaps a 'pause automatic downloads' or 'resume automatic downloads' setting?

i.e. most of the time, I don't want automatic downloads.. but when I know I'm going to the gym/etc, I would like to press a button and have it download my favorite podcasts using my wifi prior to me heading out..

-mark
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    pm sent to try to track this down.

Honestly, I've never tried exporting podcasts from itunes. Has anybody else tried this?

Fascinating news about snapstream working like that. Obviously not a use case I planned for.

For BOL and Buzz Report... I think people have gotten these to work successfully. They work fine for me on 0.3.6 (in development - soon to be released). Could you post the address you are using for the podcasts?
    i did the OPML file thing, worked like a charm.

i now find that prepod runs slower now that it has 14ish podcast. it scrolls slower, moving to an app is slower. edit: saw the turn off icons, and it speeded it up quite a bit.

and it seems that downloading video files i the pre might drop the wifi. it has happened 1-2 so far.

one thing i would like to see added though, is the ability to just show the podcast that have un-listened to podcast.

also would like to only download when charging.
    Last edited by Felipe; 08/10/2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    PrePod can delete the file. Just tap&hold on an episode that is downloaded, and the option to delete the file will show up in a popup. Or, you can use the "slide to delete" gesture on an episode in the Episode List. This gesture will cancel a download or delete a download and mark the episode as listened.

As for the cnet videos, I've had good luck with most of the ones I've tried. Just make sure you don't select HD Video podcast feeds.

CNET Podcast Central - CNET.com
    Buzz Out Loud Video
    Buzz Report
    Prizefight
    etc

how do you know if tis an hd podcast?

do they have 2 different versions?

i went through my rev3 shows and have rss to their low res version.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    DrNull,

I'll be downloading and trying the new version out tonight! Love the work you are doing.

I listen to most of my podcasts while I'm driving (I'm currently driving about 9 hours a day) and having to switch between podcasts can sometimes be a hassle. With that in mind I came up with the following 2 suggestions; 1) Could there be an option to play all new podcasts listed, this would allow someone to start and forget that there is a device playing. 2) Could there be an option for the main screen to only show podcasts with new contect in them. So if a podcast doesn't have anything new, PrePod would hide the podcast for that time. Sorta like a smart playlist on iTunes.

Just a couple thoughts, keep up the great work.

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    how do you know if tis an hd podcast?

do they have 2 different versions?

i went through my rev3 shows and have rss to their low res version.
    Felipe,

If you go to CNET Podcast Central - CNET.com you will be taken to Cnet's Podcast Central. There you can choose which feed you want and what quality of video the feed is sending. DrNull sent you the feeds links for the standard video.

Hope this helps

Robert
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I don't have the Pre yet (can't wait for my contract to expire at the end of Sept) but once I do this will be my first download. Looks like you're doing some great work over here.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that regular rss feeds work here. It displays 'no enclosures' but shows the item. Only issue is that the play controls still take up a large portion of the screen.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMoore1971 View Post
    1) Could there be an option to play all new podcasts listed, this would allow someone to start and forget that there is a device playing. 2) Could there be an option for the main screen to only show podcasts with new contect in them. So if a podcast doesn't have anything new, PrePod would hide the podcast for that time. Sorta like a smart playlist on iTunes.
    I was about to post with a feature request for something similar. My wife and both listen to a number of short podcasts (a week of 5 minute daily podcasts in a row for example). My thought was a checkbox for automatic advance to next unlistened podcast, but an editable playlist might be cooler.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    First off... THANK YOU for the awesome app! It makes my daily drive much easier to deal with, and I'm not ready to pull out the USP and get people out of my way! (I'm sure the wife thanks you as well )

I can not delete anything within the application. When the popup comes up all it says is Download, Play, Mark Unlistened, and Episode Details. When I try to slide either direction and select delete it repopulates the field.

Am I missing something?

Thanks again for the incredible app. Donation incoming.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Just a note for those who do not know how to extract the podcast list from iTunes, here's a link that explains it. Tutorial: How to create an OPML Podcast file from iTunes to import to your Nokia N97 | Nokia Mobile Talk

Note that the structure of the iTunes opml file is from opml version 1.0 - Prepod is version 1.1. As such, for those of us who have to merge the the prepod.xml file with the exported iTunes podcast.opml, be careful merging.

In my extract of podcast.opml, the values are double quoted (") vs. PrePod's single quote.

Prepod.xml stores attributes for autodownload, autodelete, maxdownloads and replacements. iTunes doesn't.

Finally , iTunes has a htmlUrl attribute.

So, be careful merging.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    drnull, Igot a bug to report. PrePod seems to "get confused" about the status of the play/pause toggle when interacting with a BT headset. The case where I've noticed this is where I have the Pre in the TS paired with the Sprint/Anycom FIPO BT gateway in my car playing a podcast when I arrive at my destination and I turn off the car. This shuts off power to the FIPO and breaks the BT link. PrePod stops playing but it has trouble resuming after the BT link is re-established and play is pressed. I have seen it where it resumes play but the scrubber doesn't update and on subsequent stops of the car it will resume from the first "bookmark". I have also seen it where the play will appear to resume (seeing by the scrubber showing progress) but there is no audio while the BT indicators on the Pre, the FIPO and the ipod controller all show that the link is active. This was seen in v0.35 and seems to have persisted into v0.36. I usually correct it by discarding the card and re-starting PrePod (MSFT PD step #1, restart the application). It is just an annoyance that can easily be worked around by pausing the podcast before turning the car off, but I figure that you'd rather know than don't know about this behavior. Regards, /mauro
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by einnyen View Post
    First off... THANK YOU for the awesome app! It makes my daily drive much easier to deal with, and I'm not ready to pull out the USP and get people out of my way! (I'm sure the wife thanks you as well )

I can not delete anything within the application. When the popup comes up all it says is Download, Play, Mark Unlistened, and Episode Details. When I try to slide either direction and select delete it repopulates the field.

Am I missing something?

Thanks again for the incredible app. Donation incoming.
    If I'm correct, the slide to delete both deletes the files and makes it as listened. It still shows, now in light gray, because it's still part of the RSS feed.

CNET Podcast Central - CNET.com
    Buzz Out Loud Video
    Buzz Report
    Prizefight
    etc
    I went to these url's you posted. For the BOL Video, I typed in:

Buzz Report

It looks like it went in correctly, but when I go to play the video I'm getting an error on playback. I am getting the opening screen but that just it.

I think it's downloading a version that the Pre can't play.

Or should I be using the one for iTunes to make it work?

If you have the Buzz Out Loud Video working can you send a message with what you typed into the PrePod setup, so I can see what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

PS On the CNET podcast page it's great it does list all of their available shows and the links to those shows as either an RSS, iTunes, or Zune video.

What ones do you pick, like I said I was picking the RSS versions, which start to show you the start screen and then error out. Do I need to download the entire video first?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    drnull, got a bug to report. PrePod seems to "get confused" about the status of the play/pause toggle when interacting with a BT headset.... I figure that you'd rather know than don't know about this behavior.
    Thanks! I'll look into it. I only have one BT controlling device, but I'll see if I can recreate this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by snrfn93 View Post
    Just a note for those who do not know how to extract the podcast list from iTunes, here's a link that explains it. Tutorial: How to create an OPML Podcast file from iTunes to import to your Nokia N97 | Nokia Mobile Talk

Note that the structure of the iTunes opml file is from opml version 1.0 - Prepod is version 1.1. As such, for those of us who have to merge the the prepod.xml file with the exported iTunes podcast.opml, be careful merging.

In my extract of podcast.opml, the values are double quoted (") vs. PrePod's single quote.

Prepod.xml stores attributes for autodownload, autodelete, maxdownloads and replacements. iTunes doesn't.

Finally , iTunes has a htmlUrl attribute.

So, be careful merging.
    Thanks for providing that link, I hope it is helpful. Just a few notes:
    I specify v1.1 for opml just because that's the example I was looking at. I don't do any xml validation. It's just a very simple parse.
    I don't believe the double/single quotes should be an issue, but I haven't tested it.
    If autodownload/autodelete/maxdownloads/replacements are not specified, the default values are used (don't autodownload/autodelete when finished listening/keep-at-most=1/no replacements)
    Finally, htmlUrl is ignored if found. I look for xmlUrl first, and fall back to just url.

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    If you have the Buzz Out Loud Video working can you send a message with what you typed into the PrePod setup, so I can see what I am doing wrong?
    What ones do you pick, like I said I was picking the RSS versions, which start to show you the start screen and then error out. Do I need to download the entire video first?
    The link you pasted was for Buzz Report, the BOL video podcast I used was: http://bolvideopodcast.cnettv.com/ which then redirected to another site, but this one should be fine.

And yes, definitely try downloading the video first, then playing it. I have seen some video files not work streaming, but work when downloaded. I've seen it the other way too. I don't know what to make of that...
    pm sent to try to track this down.
    I don't have MSN or AOL, but I am also having this same problem. Will try uninstalling and installing again. If that doesn't work I will roll-back to an older version.

Thanks. It just says loading over and over again.

EDIT uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it.
    Last edited by jwdv22; 08/11/2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Fixed it
    Thanks. Just did a 5 hour drive back from camping in Michigan and with all my This American Life's saved on my pre, was able to enjoy them all the way home!

awesome work. very simple and easy to use!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    How do I update to newest version? Will I loose my feeds? I entered them all manually and do not want to enter them again for awhile.Thanks again for a great application.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dagold View Post
    How do I update to newest version? Will I loose my feeds? I entered them all manually and do not want to enter them again for awhile.Thanks again for a great application.
    You should be able to simply install the new version like you did the old version. Many people have upgraded and had no problems with their old feeds coming in.

However, PrePod should be considered beta software. If you have a version that has OPML export capabilities, you should probably use that before an upgrade. That way, if there is a problem with the upgrade you could do the import after a reinstall. If you have issues with the upgrade, feel free to post it here, but I'd like to take the troubleshooting out to PM.

As to the likelihood of upgrade issues, of the hundreds (?) of people who are using this program, I've received upgrade issue complaints from maybe 4, but have not been able to reproduce the problem. Best of luck!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    drnull, this is the best app in homebrews!!! Thank you for all of your hard work! I'm new to the whole podcasting thing and just uploaded the one video podcast I was familiar with. After downloading, I was extremely happy to see the video came up and the streaming looks great - I would have been happy with only audio, but full video was the shocker.

I can't wait to upload the latest version!