View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

    360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

    89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

    42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

    39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

    54 9.25%
Page 21 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263171 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #401  
    what do i have to do in itunes to export my podcost and have them read by prepod?

    i exported them as prepod.xlm, but prepod said there was nothing useful in the file.

    btw #1, i use snapstream to record tv on my pc. it has a feature where it will convert the file to an ipod format, and with rss it feeds it to itunes. its a localhost feed, but putting the ip in the link, prepod was ablke to download and then the pre was able to play it.

    thumbs up.

    i tried to add buzz out loud and buzz report into prepot, but got an error that it wasnt able to save the feed.

    any thoughts?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  2. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #402  
    Quote Originally Posted by leftfoot View Post
    When I start the app now it just says loading feeds, I have no option of adding a url or seeing any feeds. If this common could you add a refernce under usage on the first page of the thread?
    pm sent to try to track this down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    what do i have to do in itunes to export my podcost and have them read by prepod?

    i exported them as prepod.xlm, but prepod said there was nothing useful in the file.

    btw #1, i use snapstream to record tv on my pc. it has a feature where it will convert the file to an ipod format, and with rss it feeds it to itunes. its a localhost feed, but putting the ip in the link, prepod was ablke to download and then the pre was able to play it.

    thumbs up.

    i tried to add buzz out loud and buzz report into prepot, but got an error that it wasnt able to save the feed.

    any thoughts?
    Honestly, I've never tried exporting podcasts from itunes. Has anybody else tried this?

    Fascinating news about snapstream working like that. Obviously not a use case I planned for.

    For BOL and Buzz Report... I think people have gotten these to work successfully. They work fine for me on 0.3.6 (in development - soon to be released). Could you post the address you are using for the podcasts?
  3. #403  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Does anyone listen to TWIS? (This Week in Science - This Week in Science - The Kickass Science Podcast ) - I can't download this keeps aborting...

    -mark
    I'm getting the same issue. Its a bummer, I had a long road trip this week and I was hoping to listen to the last 2 casts. Oh well, Maybe it will work for the trip home on the 13th.

    This app is great, keep up the great work.
  4. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #404  
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Honestly, I've never tried exporting podcasts from itunes. Has anybody else tried this?
    Itunes offers txt, xml, and opml exports. Sending a couple to you drnull.
  5. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #405  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    what do i have to do in itunes to export my podcost and have them read by prepod?

    i exported them as prepod.xlm, but prepod said there was nothing useful in the file.
    Thanks for the sample exports, nlowhor.
    The OPML export is what you want, Felipe. Makes sure you export as OPML and save the file as prepod.xml (all lower case) in the root directory of the pre when it is plugged in.

    If you still get an error, please post the prepod.xml file (or contact me via PM and I'll give you an email to send it to).

    Thanks
  6. jamiehs's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #406  
    I decided to spend some of my Sunday morning doing something I haven't done in 8 years. Making an icon in 3D.

    I was going for a more rendered look for the PrePod icon, and I think this is a good start, but with some more tweaking I think I can get it to look even more like a first-party icon.

    If drnull wants to use it, it's his.

    I've already compiled it into the PrePod 0.3.6 ipk and it looks awesome!

    I just added a slightly different version. The circle behind the second icon fits a bit better when viewed next to the phone icon, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jamiehs; 08/09/2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added second version of icon
  7. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #407  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiehs View Post
    If drnull wants to use it, it's his.
    I've already compiled it into the PrePod 0.3.6 ipk and it looks awesome!
    Rock on, friend! I'm gonna have to roll that in and see how it looks.

    Thanks!
  8. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #408  
    For those of you who disabled album art, at least give this a shot. It is amazing how much faster the list scrolls once you aren't trying to resize 600KB images on the poor little Pre.

    Also, the 10 step workaround listed below is only necessary if your feed icon doesn't show up correctly. And then, it's only necessary if you care. I really don't think too many feeds will experience this (well, except engadget.. *sigh*)

    Thanks, jamiehs for the icon. Giving it a whirl for this revision.

    PrePod v0.3.6

    • Album art is now downloaded once and resized before being displayed. This should do 2 things - first, load time will be faster since we aren't making a bunch of images to display. Second, scrolling should be less painful since WebOS isn't trying to move huge, scaled down images around. Instead, it is moving thumbnails around. On your first load after installing this update, all album art will appear to be blank. Refresh once to see the locally cached album art.
      • Related to this, there is a bug in WebOS where 8 bit images can't be resized using the built-in extractfs process. The feed album art will be either blank, or look corrupted (album art that looks stretched is normal) To resolve this, use the following method once after adding a feed:


      1. Exit out of PrePod after adding a feed and seeing a distorted image
      2. Plug your Pre into your computer using the USB cable and choose USB Drive.
      3. Browse to E:\PrePod\.albumArt where E is the drive that your Pre is mounted.
      4. Right click on the picture with the name [FEED TITLE]
      5. Select Edit (or Open With->Paint)
      6. Select File->Save As, and under Save as Type, select JPG
      7. Remove the USB cable from the Pre
      8. Launch PrePod
      9. Edit the feed with the distorted image
      10. Change the extension of the Album Art image (the 3rd text box) to .JPG instead of (.BMP, .PNG, or .GIF)

    • Changing video playback to be in a scene inside of PrePod. Still no bookmarking/resuming, but this is a little cleaner. Plus, some videos that didn't work before work now... odd.
    • If episodes don't have GUID's, making the unique link be link+title+date string (should fix Morning X on 101X)



    Download from the PreCentral Homebrew App Gallery
  9. #409  
    First thanks! Hallelujah! I hate iTunes, now I can get at least the podcasts if I can't be doing LIVE streaming of my favorite hows.

    I have one or two questions.

    I looked at the first page to make sure there was some kind of documentation because I was having some trouble understand how to download and save a podcast episode. For me, it seemed I had to listen to it first before getting the option to 'download it'.

    On the front page there is a mini icon that is the 'save' icon and I thought I could just tap on that and have the podcast download for later listening.

    And I think I need a link to some help in how to add a podcast feed. I'm not really sure how to do that entirely. I'm embarrassed to say I've had my hand held using iTunes to make that easy.

    So if anyone can provide me with a 'how to' link that will explain how to add the podcast feeds of my choice I would appreciate it. I'm sure once I see it, it will be very easy.

    And after trying to read the entire thread, is it really true, I can download an view a VIDEO podcast. If that is the case that is super wonderful.

    I guess for example, I would like to watch 'The Crankygeeks' video podcast. I'm using iTunes now to get the files. But that mean having to attach the Pre to the computer and the rest you know.

    I am also recently interested in watching CNET's daily video podcast and Buzz Out Loud.

    This app is truly going to be my favorite and I will certainly pay for it.

    Rob

    PS A donation will be made ASAP!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  10. Webby_s's Avatar
    Posts
    279 Posts
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    #410  
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    For those of you who disabled album art, at least give this a shot. It is amazing how much faster the list scrolls once you aren't trying to resize 600KB images on the poor little Pre.

    Also, the 10 step workaround listed below is only necessary if your feed icon doesn't show up correctly. And then, it's only necessary if you care. I really don't think too many feeds will experience this (well, except engadget.. *sigh*)

    Thanks, jamiehs for the icon. Giving it a whirl for this revision.
    Awesome update! Scrolling for me is FAST! (wasn't complaining about it before though)

    Tried video podcast for the first time... Worked flawlessly, but I didn't see a mini video in the podcast file screen. But no worry for me as I would rather watch in full screen which it went to immediately. Now just to decide what VideoCasts to add!
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
  11. #411  
    Yeah, the resized art is much better, thanks for the update with that.
  12. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #412  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post

    I looked at the first page to make sure there was some kind of documentation because I was having some trouble understand how to download and save a podcast episode. For me, it seemed I had to listen to it first before getting the option to 'download it'.

    On the front page there is a mini icon that is the 'save' icon and I thought I could just tap on that and have the podcast download for later listening.

    And I think I need a link to some help in how to add a podcast feed. I'm not really sure how to do that entirely. I'm embarrassed to say I've had my hand held using iTunes to make that easy.

    So if anyone can provide me with a 'how to' link that will explain how to add the podcast feeds of my choice I would appreciate it. I'm sure once I see it, it will be very easy.

    And after trying to read the entire thread, is it really true, I can download an view a VIDEO podcast. If that is the case that is super wonderful.

    I guess for example, I would like to watch 'The Crankygeeks' video podcast. I'm using iTunes now to get the files. But that mean having to attach the Pre to the computer and the rest you know.

    I am also recently interested in watching CNET's daily video podcast and Buzz Out Loud.

    This app is truly going to be my favorite and I will certainly pay for it.

    Rob

    PS A donation will be made ASAP!
    1) To add a feed, first tap on the + icon on the opening page. In the RSS feed URL field at the top, enter the full web address for the feed. You can find this on the website of whatever feed you want. For instance, for Cnet's Buzz Out Loud at Buzz Out Loud - CNET's 'podcast of indeterminate length' - CNET Blogs you'll find a link for Subscribe with RSS. Hovering over this link will reveal that it is buzzoutloudpodcast.cnet.com Just put this into PrePod now.

    2) Once you've added a feed, tap on it on the opening screen. You'll then see a list of episodes. Tap the green icon on the right of an episode to start the download. You'll then get a yellow progress bar to show that it's downloading. Once finished, the green icon will change to blue. Tap on that to play. If you don't finish, you can always come back to this page and tap the blue icon. This time it will play where you left off.
  13. #413  
    Hey I can't believe this. Even before I realized you sent me help, I had managed to make it work to a point.

    I had trouble using Firefox getting the address. I also wasn't sure if I was suppose to tap on the RSS feed button or the Audio Podcast, or the Video in Crankygeeks example.

    I found that if I added a subscription to Firefox's bookmark tab, then I was able to view the properties and get the address so I could type it in.

    I'm sure I'm doing this the long and hard way but it worked for the audio.

    When I tired with the video, I using the one for H.264 and got it in and it showed 2 episodes. I tried to play one episode and it seemed like it was starting up and I even got a few seconds of sound and the opening screen, but it error-ed out saying there was an error playing back the file. Maybe because it didn't download enough of it, that's what I am thinking off the top of my head.

    But was that the right format to pick, the H.264?

    I know not to use the Windows format.

    Also can't we just download the files.

    For example, every morning go out and download the latest episodes so that I can listen to them on the subway on the way to work.

    I realize space might be an issue but maybe there can be a setting saying 'only use this much space on the Pre, if not available don't attempt to download. Something like that.

    Oh, this is so great, I thank you (the developer) and I thank nlowhor (for helping me with a fast response)

    Rob

    PS I made the donation.

    PS nlowhor, I tried using your link to follow your instructions and I 'hovered' over the 'RSS' orange box and I didn't get any popup window with the link example. I'm not sure if it's because I am using Firefox. Do you use IE? I want to see what you are trying to show me. Because as I said I know I'm not doing this really the easy way. And can you help with the video, I let it download a few minutes of it and it still gave me an error so I'm not sure if it's the format I chose or something else. As I said I can see the opening screen of Crankygeeks video. And the Pre circle like it's trying to read the file.

    Well it's getting late and I guess this will have to wait until tomorrow, thanks again!

    Just great, this is just GGgggggggRREAT!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  14. jamiehs's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #414  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    When I tired with the video, I using the one for H.264 and got it in and it showed 2 episodes. I tried to play one episode and it seemed like it was starting up and I even got a few seconds of sound and the opening screen, but it error-ed out saying there was an error playing back the file. Maybe because it didn't download enough of it, that's what I am thinking off the top of my head.
    Had the same problem, MPEG4 feed worked for me:
    Cranky Geeks for the iPod Video

    Can't get enough of Dvorak saying everything is crap... I don't know why, but I love his hyper-critical views.
  15. #415  
    Hey there you beat me to the punch. I tried it with MPEG4 and that worked.

    OK, this is enough excitement for the night! LOL

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  16. #416  
    One more thing, now that I can get the video as well as the audio, you know what that means!

    I CAN DUMP ITUNES FOREVER!

    Weeeeeeeee!

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  17. drnull's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
       #417  
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby_s View Post
    Tried video podcast for the first time... Worked flawlessly, but I didn't see a mini video in the podcast file screen. But no worry for me as I would rather watch in full screen which it went to immediately. Now just to decide what VideoCasts to add!
    Right, just remember, better integration of video is on the todo list. Currently, I am using the built-in video player from within PrePod. But because PrePod is not handling the video itself, bookmarks won't be kept, and video podcast episodes won't auto-delete when you finish viewing them.

    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Also can't we just download the files.

    For example, every morning go out and download the latest episodes so that I can listen to them on the subway on the way to work.

    As I said I can see the opening screen of Crankygeeks video. And the Pre circle like it's trying to read the file.
    Yes, you could set a feed to auto-download, and keep at most 3 or 4 episodes. Then, when you hit refresh in the morning, PrePod would ensure that you have the latest 3 or 4 episodes. Scheduled, auto-updating and downloading is planned, and probably going into the next point revision.
  18. nlowhor's Avatar
    Posts
    440 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #418  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    PS nlowhor, I tried using your link to follow your instructions and I 'hovered' over the 'RSS' orange box and I didn't get any popup window with the link example. I'm not sure if it's because I am using Firefox. Do you use IE? I want to see what you are trying to show me. Because as I said I know I'm not doing this really the easy way. And can you help with the video, I let it download a few minutes of it and it still gave me an error so I'm not sure if it's the format I chose or something else. As I said I can see the opening screen of Crankygeeks video. And the Pre circle like it's trying to read the file.

    Well it's getting late and I guess this will have to wait until tomorrow, thanks again!

    Just great, this is just GGgggggggRREAT!
    When you hover over the link, look down in the status bar in the bottom left hand corner of Firefox to see the address for that link.
  19. #419  
    Ok thanks again!

    I just came back on to because I got Crankygeeks video to work but see below.

    And now that you told me PrePod can't delete the file, I will be careful to hook up the usb and clean out these files. Until there is an update to fix this.

    But I can't seem to get the videos of CNET to work. It tried to download them as it did originally when I first tried to make Crankygeeks work, so all I can assume is that it's not the right format and I can't find a different format being offered by CNET. Unless someone else knows the answer to this.

    Thanks again!

    Rob

    I'll work with what I've got so far and just keep watching this thread!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  20. karishbhr's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    #420  
    Getting video to work was crucial to making this a killer-app. Awesome work!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions