View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 20 of 118 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atom00 View Post
    One suggestion. I like that we can turn off feed details. However, could it display something else besides total number of podcasts in a series. I think it might be more useful to show new podcasts.
    I know the documentation is a bit sparse... The number displayed when the feed details are turned off actually is the number of new episodes in a feed. Remember, New is all episodes shown in black on the episode list page. They are also known as "Unlistened". Also, if you have started listening to an episode, it is still considered "New".

If you tap that "New" number, you'll see an option to Mark Listened, which will mark all episodes in that feed as listened. This option is also available via the app menu in the episode list.

Someday I'll actually do up a proper users guide or something... If only the feature set would quit changing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Awesome, that turning off the album art display definitely sped things up for me, now this app is practically perfect.
    I agree, the speed increase is great. However, I would prefer having the album art ... would it be possible to use local album art ... rather than pulling the image from the web? Would that help much?

I read your post after the one from jhoff80 and see that you have already implemented a feature to speed up the list ... but still allow for image art. Great. Looking forward to the new version

This app is the best, I'm using it daily and like it better than the podcasting apps I've used with Windows Mobile, Blackberry, or the ipod touch. Thanks again.
    Last edited by rmarchant; 08/06/2009 at 11:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Yesterday I started work on the following change to speed up scrolling on the Feed List page, but I just wanted to get people's input on whether this is worth it or not.

(snip)

Does anyone feel strongly that this change would annoy them? Let me reiterate that PrePod responsiveness is increased drastically (imho) with this change.
    Annoy me? I barely understand it. Truth be told, I don't really care about the album artwork. I'm not usually looking at my podcast but driving while the audio plays. If there's a feature that makes it smoother but comprimises the album art, doesn't bother me in the least if it's even there.

did I mention before how much I love the placeholder? When I first opened up my Pre and hand-loaded some hour-long radio programs, and found the built-in mp3 player was going to start over from the beginning every time I restarted the app, I was thinking "hmm, this is going to be a problem..." Now, not only can I pick up where I left off, but i don't even have to manually load mp3's. It's so dang easy now. Love it love it love it.

Hey.. could this thing act as a standalone mp3 player? I wish somebody would build an mp3 player that:
    1. Remembers the last paused file and playlist even after shutting down
    2. Navigates, loads and lists based strictly on filenames and actual folders, not metadata. (Old school windows guy here.)

I know, beggars can't be choosers, I should get off my *** and build it myself. But let me reiterate how much this prog has influenced me to perhaps keep the device past the 30 day return period, if I can only get decent phone reception in my house. (off to sprint tech support again, wish me luck.)

THANKS AGAIN and yeah a big play button would be awesome...
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Thanks for the great app. Near perfect. I'd like some customization features but for a free download this performs perfectly. Podcasting on my Pre with great results! Thanks!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    Hey.. could this thing act as a standalone mp3 player? I wish somebody would build an mp3 player that:
    1. Remembers the last paused file and playlist even after shutting down
    2. Navigates, loads and lists based strictly on filenames and actual folders, not metadata. (Old school windows guy here.)
    Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad PrePod is useful to you!

About the generic media player stuff... I've put some functionality similar to what you are talking about WAY down on the todo/idea list. But really, this app might serve those needs better...
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/190712-new-music-app-works-now-video-preview.html

I can't vouch for the app or how good it is but as a non-involved observer, it looks pretty neat.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    I know the documentation is a bit sparse... The number displayed when the feed details are turned off actually is the number of new episodes in a feed. Remember, New is all episodes shown in black on the episode list page. They are also known as "Unlistened". Also, if you have started listening to an episode, it is still considered "New".

If you tap that "New" number, you'll see an option to Mark Listened, which will mark all episodes in that feed as listened. This option is also available via the app menu in the episode list.

Someday I'll actually do up a proper users guide or something... If only the feature set would quit changing.
    Ok, so it is listing all the episodes in my feed that i haven't listened to as new. So if i mark everything as listened to, then I will see when I have a brand new episode. Makes sense.

Again thanks for the work on this. Truly helpful and has allowed me to ditch itunes for syncing podcasts. Great job!
    I am not sure if this has been asked yet. Any plans to support non-drm'd audiobooks. This is the only thing that I am missing on my Pre. And thanks for the app!!
    PrePod is just excellent. Thank you for this great homebrew app. I have made a donation via PayPal. Thanks Again!!
    Bill
    Feature request:

Ability to setup auto-refresh in the background without the app running with notifications. i.e. At certain intervals the RSS feeds will be checked for new content and then notification that there's new content.

This would be HUGE! I don't download podcasts really just stream them so knowing when there's a new podcast available would be great to be able to go in and stream it.

Sure you have a ton of other things on your to-dos but I think this would be fantastic!
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
    Ability to setup auto-refresh in the background without the app running with notifications. i.e. At certain intervals the RSS feeds will be checked for new content and then notification that there's new content.
    I think this is the next (major) feature I'll be working on. I'm trying to get the last few little details fixed with the current iteration of things, then I'm gonna hunker down and concentrate on background updates/notifications for a couple of days/weeks/whatever it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by gbritton View Post
    The feeds from Scientific American's 60-second Science and Psych downloaded in 0.3.1 but gave what appeared to be empty episodes.
    The feed I'm trying is: rss.sciam.com/sciam/60secsciencepodcast
    Hey gbritton, so I've been in communication with Nick, a senior developer over at sciam.com, and he has been extremely helpful and responsive. He pulled some magic levers behind the scenes, and now that feed should "just work" for you. Boy, 60 second podcasts really beg for playlist functionality, don't they? Argh, focus. No getting distracted by the shiny.
    Not sure if anyone else has said it but since updating to the latest PrePod, I can't fast-forward by keeping my finger on the "button." I have to tap repeatedly. Maybr that's by-design, though.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Not sure if anyone else has said it but since updating to the latest PrePod, I can't fast-forward by keeping my finger on the "button." I have to tap repeatedly. Maybr that's by-design, though.
    It's not by design, but I never intentionally programmed that in. Did that actually work for you in 0.3.3? Keyboard buttons auto-repeat, but you actually have to specifically write code to make menu buttons auto-repeat... which I haven't done...
    Maybe I'm misremembering or confusing PrePod functionality with that of the native music app.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    drnull, I'm using a cheap pair of Insignia NS-BTHDP headphones. Volume, Skip forward and back work. Pause works. Play after pause does not. In the other apps, I hit the button once and get a beep. Then hit again and it plays. In PrePod, I get the same function on the first hit, but the play button hangs in the down mode. I've seen this before in my apps when an untrapped error occurs.

Here is the sequence I'm doing. Tap on a downloaded podcast. This opens the podcast and starts playing.

Tap the play/pause on my headset. This pauses the podcast.

Tap the play/pause, just get a beep in headset with no change. (similar to what it does in other apps.)

Tap the p/p, the play button goes down and stays in the gray background down mode and becomes unresponsive.

Then I do a back gesture and see this in messages:
    com.palm.drnull.prepod: Error: Ignoring keyCode 231
    com.palm.drnull.prepod: Error: Ignoring keyCode 27
    (Edit: these occur regardless of if I used bluetooth headset to lock or not. Looks like they are there for every back gesture from episode screen and not tied to this error at all.)

Tap back on the podcast and all is well again.

Let me know if you want me to run a version with more logging to help trap this down for you. If I get time this weekend, I'll see if I can dig into that part of the code and locate it for you. I haven't worked with bluetooth before though.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Does anyone listen to TWIS? (This Week in Science - This Week in Science - The Kickass Science Podcast ) - I can't download this keeps aborting...

-mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    DrNull - have you considered making a similar app (or add functionality here) for audiobooks?

I have one main issue w/ listening to audiobooks using the built-in music player - bookmarks! (there's a patch for this, but still - I think your player interface would be better suited for it..)

-mark
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Just checking in to say that I love this app. Been using it for about a week and a half now.

Great!
    DrNull,

Wonderful application. This takes me one step closer to getting rid of my iPod touch completely. One question; Is this suppose to work with Video podcasts? I tried a couple podcasts, PrePod did launch the video, however PrePod did not remember the location of the podcast when I exited and started the podcast back up. Just wonderin.... Thanks again for the GREAT work.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobMoore1971 View Post
    Wonderful application. This takes me one step closer to getting rid of my iPod touch completely. One question; Is this suppose to work with Video podcasts? I tried a couple podcasts, PrePod did launch the video, however PrePod did not remember the location of the podcast when I exited and started the podcast back up. Just wonderin.... Thanks again for the GREAT work.
    Glad it's useful to you!

No, video podcast support is minimal at the moment (just enough to get by). I plan on making a small window on the episode details (player) screen above the scrubber bar (the time index/seeking bar) that will have a scaled down view of the video, and tapping it would take you full screen. But that's a couple of point revisions down the road.

Btw, Diomark, I have contacted TWIS about a problem connecting to their podcast, hopefully they will correct it and allow non-UA based requests to download podcasts.

(if anybody is interested in the technical details of this, WebOS requests downloads basically like this:
    Code:
    curl -A "" "http://www.twis.org/audio/podpress_trac/feed/369/0/TWIS_2009_08_04.mp3"
    and that returns a 403 Forbidden, whereas
    Code:
    curl "http://www.twis.org/audio/podpress_trac/feed/369/0/TWIS_2009_08_04.mp3"
    works fine
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I downloaded the first beta of prepod and loved, but recently upade to 33 and I can't seem to get to work now. My apologies right off the bat my apologies if this is a repeated question, but looked on a couple of pages and saw no refernce. a

When I start the app now it just says loading feeds, I have no option of adding a url or seeing any feeds. If this common could you add a refernce under usage on the first page of the thread?