View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 19 of 118 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by showergel View Post
    I'm backtracking to 0.3.3 to make sure it's not a problem with a particular feed. It's been running for more than 30 seconds so far .. which is an improvement. I'll upgrade after a successful sync and try again with your album art suggestion.
    So things work fine in 0.3.3. Scrolling, downloading, playing..

When I upgrade to 0.3.5, and choose something to download from DJ Paulo, THAT is the action that causes LunaSysMgr to restart. If all I do is start an item download - don't even touch the screen after starting the d/l - and wait a few seconds, LunaSysMgr crashes and restarts.

So I took your advice and disabled album art, closed and reopened 0.3.5, and attempted to download a podcast. Within 10 seconds LunaSysmgr crashes.

Reverting back to 0.3.3 fixes the issue. I only have 4 stock feeds (PalmCast, Engadget, gdgt weekly, Stack Overflow) and 1 custom DJ Paulo.

Looking into it more closely I think it has something to do with DJ Paulo's feed: http ://djpaulonla.podomatic.com/rss2.xml. With 0.3.5 I've started to get errors when downloading other feeds like Engadget.. and it gives a weird location url: http: //djpaulonla.podomatic.com which pop up several times. (i had to add spaces so the forum would stop turning the link into a url)
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by showergel View Post
    When I upgrade to 0.3.5, and choose something to download from DJ Paulo, THAT is the action that causes LunaSysMgr to restart. If all I do is start an item download - don't even touch the screen after starting the d/l - and wait a few seconds, LunaSysMgr crashes and restarts.

Looking into it more closely I think it has something to do with DJ Paulo's feed: http ://djpaulonla.podomatic.com/rss2.xml. With 0.3.5 I've started to get errors when downloading other feeds like Engadget.. and it gives a weird location url: http: //djpaulonla.podomatic.com which pop up several times. (i had to add spaces so the forum would stop turning the link into a url)
    Thanks a lot for troubleshooting this one for me, I didn't have to look very hard at all to find the problem. It's a pretty neat bug in LunaSysMgr. For now, go to Edit Feed for the DJ PAULO feed, and change the feed title. You'll see that it ends in a space. Get rid of that space, and it should download fine. I'll fix this in the next version-that is, I'll fix my code to not let the directory end in a space... I'm not fixing LunaSysMgr.

Any other details on the weird location url error? I didn't quite understand that.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Nice.

To be perfectly clear, there were no spaces in the actual error message, I had to format it that way for the forum to stop creating auto-urls.

It looks like after I tried to download the podcast in question and Luna comes back up, if I go to download something else, you'll get ~5+ error messages stating it cannot download the thing I was trying to download before WHILE it is downloading the currently selected podcast.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Drnull-

Can you PM me a bit of detail regarding the bug? (I'd PM you but there's that silly 15 post limitation I haven't yet met)

I'd like to send it over to the guys at Palm and have them do a Look-See and figure out if that is intended behavior or not.

I've worked with them on another bug regarding video aspect ratios not working properly and they've been pretty cool about it.
    hey, i was thinking ... and not sure if it's been mentioned in the 19 pages here ... but is there a way to use the back gesture after starting a podcast and then scroll through the podcast episodes or edit feeds or add feeds (ie - do work within PrePod) ... WHILE the podcast episode that was started continues to play?

there would be some sort of "Now Playing" button back on main menu pages or episode list pages ... does that make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by mturner7472 View Post
    hey, i was thinking ... and not sure if it's been mentioned in the 19 pages here ... but is there a way to use the back gesture after starting a podcast ...
    I forget how far back, but I am pretty sure I remember that being discussed and having been put on the to do list.
    For me, swiping deletes an episode just fine but it's not marked as listened to so it just gets downloaded again when I do an update. Is this happening to anyone else or was this fixed in today's update? I had to go through last night and fix that and have some episodes right now that I have to mark as listened to again.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    For me, swiping deletes an episode just fine but it's not marked as listened to so it just gets downloaded again when I do an update. Is this happening to anyone else or was this fixed in today's update? I had to go through last night and fix that and have some episodes right now that I have to mark as listened to again.
    I don't remember specifically fixing this issue, but it's entirely possible I did. I can't recreate it on 0.3.3 or 0.3.5. Does this happen for you on all feeds?
    Awesome, that turning off the album art display definitely sped things up for me, now this app is practically perfect.
    It must've fixed itself in the update because they are updating just fine now and not redownloading episodes.

Thanks
    Excellent app - loving it. However with 0.3.5 AVRCP seems to screw up the app. Example: If I click on a podcast it finds the last bookmark and starts streaming. I then hit play/pause on my BT AVRCP device and all of a sudden the pause button becomes grey and I can no longer use it. Sometimes it'll start playing the audio but there is no way to stop it either with AVRCP or on the device. Workaround is to use onscreen controls only.
    "There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't"
    I'm guessing the issues with video podcast have not been fixed yet I'm still having problems adding CNET video podcasts....
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I'm guessing the issues with video podcast have not been fixed yet I'm still having problems adding CNET video podcasts....
    The two video podcasts I've tried have worked perfectly, so it might just be that specific one.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The two video podcasts I've tried have worked perfectly, so it might just be that specific one.
    Couldn't get video podcasts to work from Science Friday, but I assumed that had something to do with the fact that I can't get anything but mp4's to play on this device. (What's up with that, by the way???)

My only suggestion would be isolating the play/pause button so I could quickly hit that button without my big thumbs nailing FF or RW instead.

Anyways as I said in the comments page, this is my most used app in the week I've had this machine, THANK YOU so much for creating it and sharing it!!!
    totally agree with NEVE ... this app is used EVERYday ... ALL day on my Pre ... simply amazing ...

thanks for the heads up on the comment i made about the "multi-tasking" within PrePod, i'd used many different short phrases to search with but wasn't able to find anything ... must have been using the wrong wording

to continue NEVE's thought about the button isolation for big fingers, i think that'd be a good idea too ... since there's so much room on the "player" screen, if the home row of control buttons aren't tied to any object within webOS, those buttons could be expanded to make for more accurate 'pushing' of the control.

love that the bluetooth buttons are now controlling the player ... not real sure why Palm disabled the play/pause on the built in Streaming app ...

again, kudos drnull for everything you've done with this ... very cool
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Yesterday I started work on the following change to speed up scrolling on the Feed List page, but I just wanted to get people's input on whether this is worth it or not.
    • Album art is now downloaded once and resized before being displayed. This should do 2 things - first, load time will be faster since we aren't making a bunch of image web requests for display. Second, scrolling should be less painful since WebOS isn't trying to move huge, scaled down images around. Instead, it is moving thumbnails around.
      • Related to this, there is a bug in WebOS where 8 bit images can't be resized using the built-in extractfs process. The feed album art will be either blank, or look corrupted (album art that looks stretched is normal) To resolve this, use the following method once after adding a feed:

1. Exit out of PrePod after adding a feed and seeing a distorted image
      2. Plug your Pre into your computer using the USB cable and choose USB Drive.
      3. Browse to E:\PrePod\.albumArt where E is the drive that your Pre is mounted.
      4. Right click on the picture with the name [FEED TITLE]
      5. Select Edit (or Open With->Paint)
      6. Select File->Save As, and under Save as Type, select JPG
      7. Remove the USB cable from the Pre
      8. Launch PrePod
      9. Edit the feed with the distorted image
      10. Change the extension of the Album Art image (the 3rd text box) to .JPG instead of (.BMP, .PNG, or .GIF)
    Most of the feeds I've checked are fine, but maybe 5% have to be edited in this manner. The problem relates to the Feed Album Art being an 8-bit image. WebOS doesn't seem to support that yet for some reason. So for feeds where the image is 8-bit, you would not see any album art for that feed until you did the above procedure.

However, with this change in place, even the feeds with HUGE images (check MSNBC for their video podcasts) scroll just fine, and the app on the whole seems more responsive.

I've submitted a bug report to palm about the 8-bit images. I hate to require users to pull out a usb cable and mount in usb mode, but it only has to be done once, plus, you could just not do it if you don't mind having a blank icon on the 5% or so of the podcasts with 8-bit images.

Does anyone feel strongly that this change would annoy them? Let me reiterate that PrePod responsiveness is increased drastically (imho) with this change.
    With the new 3.5, I cannot play any podcast. Just sits there with no timeframe and will not play. Now it wont load feeds...

WTH now backtracking to 3.3 does the same thing???

Whoa now all the sudden it started working. GRRR
    Last edited by thetreoguys; 08/06/2009 at 02:28 PM.
    Awesome updates. Being able to pause from my Bluetooth headphones is great.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    Couldn't get video podcasts to work from Science Friday, but I assumed that had something to do with the fact that I can't get anything but mp4's to play on this device.
    Actually, mp4 videos do play typically. I think the problem here is that the video is too high resolution (640x360 for the most recent Science Friday).
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1667119

The one before that seems to work fine. Checking the stream, it appears to be 480x360. Which is closer to that 480x320 resolution mentioned in the above post, but still technically too large.

Also, I've noticed that once a video errors (even when trying to play video from the built-in video player), you have to shutdown the video player before trying another video.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Been loving the updates and have been using it daily.

One suggestion. I like that we can turn off feed details. However, could it display something else besides total number of podcasts in a series. I think it might be more useful to show new podcasts.

Keep up the great work