View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 109 of 118 FirstFirst ... 95999104105106107108109110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbator View Post
    Is there any way to backup the doctor podder data on my phone? My sprint pre is fairly damaged and there is a pretty good chance I'll be needing a new one soon. Dr. Podder is maybe my most used app (catalog version). I cannot say enough good things about it. It's the best podcast catcher on any platform ever. Even when I'm in front of a real computer I plug my headphones into my pre when I want to listen to a podcast. I use this app to manage all my podcasting. When I get a new phone I would like to carry the old data from Dr podder (the podcasts I have already listened to and etc). Is there any way that I can do this (home brew or otherwise)?
    You can use Save/Restore from webOS Internals to back up drPodder, as well as many more apps. Look for it in Preware. Save all your apps, then copy the /media/internal/saverestore directory off your old phone. When you get a new phone, copy it back to /media/internal and restore everything.

(I'm not positive, but you may need to launch the apps you want to restore one time so they'll create a default database before doing the restore.)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Is there any way to backup the doctor podder data on my phone? My sprint pre is fairly damaged and there is a pretty good chance I'll be needing a new one soon.
    Also, if you are planning on getting a replacement from Sprint, I'd get on it right away - the Pre has been EOL'ed by them and the inventory levels are reportedly very low!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Awesome! The only problem with my pre is that the power button on the phone is broken. The phone itself still runs flawlessly. I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to just take it into a repair center and have the power button replaced. I know that their new unit backlog is large but I am sure they'll have a stream of refurbished devices for replacements for current users until they are able to secure a new WebOS device. In any event thanks for the heads up, concerns, and of course the help!
    Just a quick thanks for drPodder (PrePod). I've been using it from the begining (or very nearly) and haven't tried any of the others because drPodder does exactly what I need.
    Long Live Palm
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Is there any way to backup the doctor podder data on my phone? My sprint pre is fairly damaged and there is a pretty good chance I'll be needing a new one soon. Dr. Podder is maybe my most used app (catalog version). I cannot say enough good things about it. It's the best podcast catcher on any platform ever. Even when I'm in front of a real computer I plug my headphones into my pre when I want to listen to a podcast. I use this app to manage all my podcasting. When I get a new phone I would like to carry the old data from Dr podder (the podcasts I have already listened to and etc). Is there any way that I can do this (home brew or otherwise)?
    Besides Save/Restore
    You can also use the mail feature in Dr Podder Menu>OPML>export via email Then when you get the new device copy the drpodder.xml to the root of the media drive and open Dr podder and Menu>OpML>import

Also ignore the person babbling about EoL. That doesn't matter, either you are on warenty in which case you'll get a refurb (of which there will be many in the sprint warehouse) or you can buy one fairly cheaply from the internet
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    Just a quick thanks for drPodder (PrePod). I've been using it from the begining (or very nearly) and haven't tried any of the others because drPodder does exactly what I need.
    Me 2
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I've started experiencing a wierd thing. I amusing Dr.Podder 0.7.1 and it seems when I am listening to a download Podcast, if I am listening to it... I cannot surf on the web or us any app that requires web access. Is this a known problem or something I can do? I am using an original palm with 1.4.5 Any help is appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by nxg125 View Post
    You can use Save/Restore from webOS Internals to back up drPodder, as well as many more apps. Look for it in Preware. Save all your apps, then copy the /media/internal/saverestore directory off your old phone. When you get a new phone, copy it back to /media/internal and restore everything.
    You should also backup the "drpodder" folder on the USB drive, so you don't need to re-download the podcasts again. So, just copying in the drpodder folder and then running Save/Restore should basically reset your app back to the way it was before. For more details on Save/Restore, please check out http://www.precentral.net/saverestore-tip
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    For anyone having problems with the Engadget feeds, Jamie was nice enough to tell me how to get them to work this weekend at Dev Day.. basically, just edit the feed and make sure that the feed you are using is the rss.xml feed, not the rss-aac.xml feed! That should fix it for you.

Also, we found up 2 interesting pieces of information at Dev Day.
    1. AAC podcasts will play just fine in DrPodder on webOS 2.0
    2. But, only when you download the podcast. Doesn't seem to be able to stream them.

So, some good news to look forward to!
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Would be nice to be able to set certain podcasts to cut some time off the beginning. This would be really nice n short podcasts that have a minute of commercials before a 3 minute podcast. It would be best if this was configurable per podcast. I'm not sure how much control you have over specifying time seek, but it could work to just add a macro-like function to hit 1 minute skip when starting. Trimming from the end would be nice too, but that seems more difficult to implement, especially with the truncating bug.
    I'd appreciate it if you could just split the database into two separate DB files, one that manages the feeds alone, and the other that contains information about the episodes, old/new, etc. Then re-code so that if the second database is missing, drPodder can recreate it from the contents of the drPodder directory and subdirectories, with the old/new flags reset to new.

That way, if the second, larger episodes database gets corrupted, we still have all our feeds in the first, smaller database and can just delete the episodes database to make drPodder work again without your personal intervention.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbetz View Post
    I'd appreciate it if you could just split the database into two separate DB files, one that manages the feeds alone, and the other that contains information about the episodes, old/new, etc. Then re-code so that if the second database is missing, drPodder can recreate it from the contents of the drPodder directory and subdirectories, with the old/new flags reset to new.

That way, if the second, larger episodes database gets corrupted, we still have all our feeds in the first, smaller database and can just delete the episodes database to make drPodder work again without your personal intervention.
    I like this. Additionally, unwiredben suggested at the NYC dev day that I store the feeds in a db8 database. According to http://www.precentral.net/webos-get-...enty-more-fall there should be some simple method of syncing of db8 databases, so feed information would persist though doctoring as well.

Just to be clear, the error that typically occurs is that the db gets corrupted. But since I wouldn't be writing to the "feeds" db very often, it has less of a chance to get corrupted.

Another problem I've seen with loading so many episodes might be in code I control, so I need to spend some quality time with one of the larger db's that have been sent in to me, reproducing the error and tracking it down.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by REOScotte View Post
    Would be nice to be able to set certain podcasts to cut some time off the beginning. This would be really nice n short podcasts that have a minute of commercials before a 3 minute podcast. It would be best if this was configurable per podcast. I'm not sure how much control you have over specifying time seek, but it could work to just add a macro-like function to hit 1 minute skip when starting. Trimming from the end would be nice too, but that seems more difficult to implement, especially with the truncating bug.
    This would be doable. However, because of the bug you mention, if I let you specify to skip, say, 75 seconds into a certain podcast, I really can't guarantee that you'd end up there. It might actually start playing from the beginning - even though the counter would indicate it's 75 seconds in (yes, it's really that bad). Or, it might go the other way and actually start playing from 2 minutes in even though the counter says 75.

What I really want to do is piece together the following - to aide in my debugging as well as to send a proper test case in the bug report to Palm. If anybody has any ideas on how I can do this, please, speak up.

I want a few .mp3 files. Varying length. 30/45/60/90/120 minutes. Maybe a few in between. Probably need some different bitrates as well. Actually, if I just had the wav files I could probably do all I need. These audio files, they need to count (1, 2, 3), once per second. That's all. It's really simple. Maybe they would reset to 0 every minute and say "1 minute" or something like that. I don't care that much if sounds start overlapping (i.e., at 100 minutes, you might not get that all out before the "1" comes out a second later).

My thought is to take the sounds pack from the asterisk project here: http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/te...current.tar.gz and plop them into Audacity. I'd really like a programatic way to do that though, as I'm lazy.

What this would give me is the ability to seek around using the scrubber or using the +/- 20/60 buttons, as well as with the resuming features to see exactly how far off the playback is from where it says it is. It's possible that by using that information, I can at least know up front where I need to set the time index so that podcasts don't cutoff (i.e., if you are resuming at minute 80 of a 90 minute podcast, but playback is actually starting at 79, I can resume you at 79 so that you get to hear the end).

unwiredben suggested NIST Radio Station WWV but I can't find a way to record a stream of that. Might just hook up a microphone to a phone and do it the janky way, it doesn't have to be perfect.
    Last edited by drnull; 11/29/2010 at 04:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbetz View Post

This would be great. Every few months, my database gets so large that the app times out while loading it and I have to hack the database in order to get drPodder to load. If it could be rebuilt from what's on the device it would make things a lot easier!
    Now that Music (Remix) has support for Last.fm scrobbling, I've been working on building up my profile. I noticed that some Last.fm users are scrobbling their podcast plays. I'm always looking for ways to help promote the podcasts that I like, and this seems like a great one. Any chance we could see scrobbling in a future version of drPodder?

Here's the info on the API --> Last.fm - Listen to free music with internet radio and the largest music catalogue online
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    drnull,

I would like to request a feature (and it actually might be in discussion right now, from my quick scan of the last few messages).

I would like to be able to select a mp3 file that is located on my Pre in the USB Partition and not necessarily in the drpodder folder/directory.

I have recently converted all my Audible files (audio books) into mp3's so that I can easily play them on the Pre. The Audible Player in Classic mode is just not doing it for me.

Everyone knows how hard we tried to talk Audible into making a player for WebOS but we just don't have the numbers yet for them to invest in it. I think they finally came out with an Android version, so that's a hopeful sign.

Anyway, I have tried the other music players to play the audible mp3 files and I'm just not comfortable with them yet. Seems like they do so much and that's great, but I just wanted something simple.

drpodder plays the downloaded podcasts which are in mp3 format, and play terrific for me (even with some of the issues, like cutting off when there is still 30 seconds left). I know that's not drpodder's fault here.

But what I do like is the ability for drpodder to instantly bookmark even if I quickly close out the app. Then when I restart drpodder it picks up where it left off perfectly (it plays about 30 seconds prior to where it left off, which is wonderful thing too).

So the bookmarking alone is why I want drpodder to allow me to open and play any mp3 that is located on the USB partition (or whatever directory drnull deems as appropriate).

There are already 2 options for fast forward, the 30 and the 3 minute (do I have those numbers correct).

So there is not much more I think I would ask for, but I think there might be other features others might want added.

drnull, would you consider added my request to the next upgrade?

I'm still stuck on a Pre - from Sprint, so I doubt I will be on WebOS 2.0 very soon. I know, they said the upgrade will hit all phones. I'm just getting discouraged with all this waiting for new hardware. I keep trying to put a happy face on about the whole issue.

So that's it!

Thanks for considering my request!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Rob, as DR Podder is a catalog app, it cannot open folders or files. DR Null has already stated that once the official API is there he will add this feature. Sprint will get 2.0 roughly the same time as everyone else. Think Jan-march (although if I know the palm guys they may give it to us at 12:01 Christmas Morning (Hint Hint Adora, Chuq etc)
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I read back a few pages, but didn't see anything on the issue...

Sometimes while listening to a podcast, they will just stop, and I will lose the bookmark. The issue is independent of which feed, or mp3 itself.

I am unable to recreate this, it seems random. Any ideas?
    Any chance that drPodder would ever become available on Android?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Feature suggestion: "night mode" text display.

I have a Touchstone mount in my car and often listen to podcasts when I'm driving. Despite turning the brightness down to very low levels, the black text on grey bg (palm default) theme is really bright during the night time. It would be great if there was an advanced setting to switch to a grey-on-black or even a red-on-black theme for text. This shouldn't be that hard to implement using CSS.