View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 102 of 118 FirstFirst ... 25292979899100101102103104105106107112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2342
Like Tree14Likes
  1. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scstock View Post
    Thanks - I've now found I can access the files using Windows XP, but on MacOSX the DrPodder folder appears as if it is empty
    I'm not a mac guy (at least not in the last 15+ years now), so I'm not sure on this, but is it possible you just need to enable hidden files, and that would allow you to view the files on a mac too? Just a thought. I'm glad you're able to view them via a PC now though at least.
    No Mac experience here either, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    I'm not a mac guy (at least not in the last 15+ years now), so I'm not sure on this, but is it possible you just need to enable hidden files, and that would allow you to view the files on a mac too?
    You're right (why didn't I think of that?) - odd that they should be set as invisible by default.

A rare occasion then to launch Terminal and paste in the code to make Invisible items visible.
    Last edited by scstock; 07/29/2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Thanks - I've now found I can access the files using Windows XP, but on MacOSX the DrPodder folder appears as if it is empty
    Here's how to make hidden files visible on Macs. Might be non-OSX, I didn't even look that close.

Show Hidden Files | Mac Tricks And Tips
    You're right (why didn't I think of that?) - odd that they should be set as invisible by default.
    Actually no. That is a nifty workaround to keep podcasts out of the other music players. Otherwise those would get into the mix, as soon as someone hits "Shuffle All".
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Hi all,

WebOS Roundup is saying that drnull knows that there is a problem with downloading WebOS Radio's podcasts and is blaming it on WebOS versions prior to version 1.4.5.

But I just played around with trying to get the podcast on my PC and I can't download from there either or play it.

It's saying I don't have Quicktime installed correctly, and I do have it it installed correctly because its working with all my files except for webos radio.

I think that they are not packaging their podcast correctly and something changed at their end, not on WebOS or drpodder.

Heck, it was working before with drpodder, drnull has not updated drpodder in months.

So if nothing has changed with WebOS (I'm still stuck on version 1.4.1.1, Sprint) on nothing has changed with the drpodder app in months. And WebOS Radio podcasts have worked in the past with no issues.

And the fact that I am getting errors when trying to download it or listen to it via my PC.

I say they did something different at their end, and they need to figure out what they changed!

I'm not slamming them, I'm just pointing out facts that I have observed.

I did try and leave a message with them letting them know what happened in my case.

So if anyone else can try and see if they have trouble download from their PC's or Mac's that might actually help prove it's at their end and not on the WebOS side or drpodder.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I have no problems downloading or streaming the latest podcast from their website on my PC (currently running Win XP and using Google Chrome browser).

But no luck playing the podcast with drPodder on my Palm Pre (Sprint 1.4.1.1).

Hope this helps... plee3
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    So if nothing has changed with WebOS (I'm still stuck on version 1.4.1.1, Sprint) on nothing has changed with the drpodder app in months. And WebOS Radio podcasts have worked in the past with no issues.
    Hi Rob,

Here's the deal: you're right, nothing has changed with webOS, drPodder, or webOS Radio. The change was with libsyn.

Episodes of webOS Radio Podcast (and many, MANY other podcasts) are served through libsyn. If you look at the address of the latest podcast, you'll see that:
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/webosroundup/webOSRadio10.mp3
    Plugging that into web-sniffer, you'll see that that page contains a redirection header (the "location" http header)
    View HTTP Request and Response Header

"location" is a valid header according to the http spec, but most of the time, websites do redirection using the "Location" header (yes, the only difference is case sensitivity).

The webOS bug is that when webOS is processing headers, it looks only for the "Location" header, and not the lower-case version.

Now, I know you're wondering why it suddenly stopped working when neither drPodder nor webOS had changed, right?

Well, back a few weeks (months? Who knows, I've lost track) libsyn changed the way they were handling these redirects. See, early on in development of drPodder, I noticed that when stopped before getting to the actual .mp3 file, libsyn would download a file that contained in it the actual text for where the redirection was occurring. I had drPodder setup with a "hack" of sorts, where when it noticed this condition, it would parse that file and pull out the actual location, and re-download based on that actual location.

That worked all well and good (except for a drPodder version around 0.6.4 or so) where I accidentally took that hack out, and then started getting tons of support emails about libsyn downloads failing. So 0.6.6/0.6.7 added it back in.

That was all well and fine for a few weeks, but then libsyn changed their redirect page. Now, they don't include the actual text for where the redirection is occurring. Instead, it is just a blank page. Again, this is legal because all they have to do is include the location header. However, since the page doesn't include the actual location anymore, there's no parsing that I can do to pull it out.

Anyway, long story short (haha), this is a webOS bug. Once you're on webOS 1.4.5, you won't see the issue anymore (as a few international users have testified in this thread). For what it's worth, I've also verified in the 1.4.5 emulator that the bug is fixed.

Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by drnull; 08/07/2010 at 10:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Hi Rob,

Here's the deal: you're right, nothing has changed with webOS, drPodder, or webOS Radio. The change was with libsyn.

Episodes of webOS Radio Podcast (and many, MANY other podcasts) are served through libsyn. If you look at the address of the latest podcast, you'll see that:
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/webosroundup/webOSRadio10.mp3
    Plugging that into web-sniffer, you'll see that that page contains a redirection header (the "location" http header)
    View HTTP Request and Response Header

"location" is a valid header according to the http spec, but most of the time, websites do redirection using the "Location" header (yes, the only difference is case sensitivity).

The webOS bug is that when webOS is processing headers, it looks only for the "Location" header, and not the lower-case version.

Now, I know you're wondering why it suddenly stopped working when neither drPodder nor webOS had changed, right?

Well, back a few weeks (months? Who knows, I've lost track) libsyn changed the way they were handling these redirects. See, early on in development of drPodder, I noticed that when stopped before getting to the actual .mp3 file, libsyn would download a file that contained in it the actual text for where the redirection was occurring. I had drPodder setup with a "hack" of sorts, where when it noticed this condition, it would parse that file and pull out the actual location, and re-download based on that actual location.

That worked all well and good (except for a drPodder version around 0.6.4 or so) where I accidentally took that hack out, and then started getting tons of support emails about libsyn downloads failing. So 0.6.6/0.6.7 added it back in.

That was all well and fine for a few weeks, but then libsyn changed their redirect page. Now, they don't include the actual text for where the redirection is occurring. Instead, it is just a blank page. Again, this is legal because all they have to do is include the location header. However, since the page doesn't include the actual location anymore, there's no parsing that I can do to pull it out.

Anyway, long story short (haha), this is a webOS bug. Once you're on webOS 1.4.5, you won't see the issue anymore (as a few international users have testified in this thread). For what it's worth, I've also verified in the 1.4.5 emulator that the bug is fixed.

Thanks for your patience.
    OK drnull, you understand all of this stuff and the reasons and it seems the only fix is for us to wait for version 1.4.5.

But it doesn't help me when I try to listen to the podcast using my PC (forget webos for now).

So when I say it's coming from their end and they need to address, it's because what do I have to do to make it work on my PC?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

1.4.5 seems to be taking forever to reach other carriers, especially in the USA. I'm on ATT and am not sure I will ever see 1.4.5. ATT could skip right to 1.5 sometime in The Fall.

Is there any way to get the updated files from 1.4.5 that fix the podcast problem and apply/copy them to a Pre+ running 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 Pre?
    Last edited by swieder; 08/09/2010 at 05:07 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    1.4.5 seems to be taking forever to reach other carriers, especially in the USA. I'm on ATT and am not sure I will ever see 1.4.5. ATT could skip right to 1.5 sometime in The Fall.

Is there any way to get the updated files from 1.4.5 that fix the podcast problem and apply/copy them to a Pre+ running 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 Pre?
    That's a good idea, if you have the technical know-how. However, I'm not going to support it, and I'd appreciate it if anybody who does this and has problems or wants to do this and needs help would post in another topic.

All I'm going to say is that there is only one file involved in this fix: /usr/bin/LunaDownloadMgr

But your idea did work fine for me with a Sprint webOS 1.4.1.1 Pre.
    I like livin on the Pre edge.

Renamed LunaDownloadMgr to LunaDownloadMgr.old just in case. Downloaded the 1.4.5 jar file and extracted the new LunaDownloadMgr which I copied into the /usr/bin folder. Did a device reset just to be sure.

SUCCESS. DrPodder is now downloading podcasts that it would not b4! I dont need 1.4.5 any more. Will wait for 1.5 or 2.0.
    Last edited by swieder; 08/10/2010 at 01:50 PM.
    1.4.5.1 is supposedly coming out on Sprint sometime today (Aug 10), hopefully the other U.S. carriers will follow soon.

The ability to download libsyn podcasts is my most eagerly anticipated "feature" of the new version of webOS.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    If Sprint update doesn't come today, I'm going to live on the edge too. Worst case, it will be overwritten with the new file once 1.4.5.1 actually does arrive. The Podcast download bug has been really bothering me as well.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    If Sprint update doesn't come today, I'm going to live on the edge too. Worst case, it will be overwritten with the new file once 1.4.5.1 actually does arrive. The Podcast download bug has been really bothering me as well.
    Actually, worst case - something in the update process goes haywire because the system is not in an expected state, and you have to doctor your device.

Likely case? The update fails, and you have to remove the modified version and revert to the "you-did-make-a-backup-didn't-you" version before the update succeeds.

But it might just update cleanly. I don't really know...
    Actually, worst case - something in the update process goes haywire because the system is not in an expected state, and you have to doctor your device.

Likely case? The update fails, and you have to remove the modified version and revert to the "you-did-make-a-backup-didn't-you" version before the update succeeds.

I was wondering the same thing (worst-case vs. likely case)..... thinking if I don't see the Sprint update soon I may just do the quick and dirty fix, and add it to my items to switch back before OTA update (like theme, couple non-AUPT patches).

Good Point Jamie. Thanks!!

My great leap of faith was in the technology underlying AUPT-- there are lots of WebOS files which are modified (patched) from their expected configurations which are basically just overwritten by OTA updates in large blocks of files called 'packages'. That was probably too large of a leap in this case... especially considering that the file in question is related to how downloads are done! (and an OTA update is kind of a glorified download from a certain point of view!!)

That said, yes, I should have couched "Worst Case" as truly worst case. And in that true worst case, yes, I'd be prepared because I'm a serial backup-er!!

I'm actually looking forward to a fresh Doctor to 1.4.5 this time around (once Sprint's 1.4.5.(1) doctor becomes available since I'm still slightly concerned that my Pre might have unwanted remnants from some of the early wild-west days of over-clocking and mod'd-kernels.
    I'm going to try it since I always doctor my phone when updates come out.

Let's see if I can find that file that needs to be modified or replaced.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I like livin on the Pre edge.

Renamed LunaDownloadMgr to LunaDownloadMgr.old just in case. Downloaded the 1.4.5 jar file and extracted the new LunaDownloadMgr which I copied into the /usr/bin folder. Did a device reset just to be sure.

SUCCESS. DrPodder is now downloading podcasts that it would not b4! I dont need 1.4.5 any more. Will wait for 1.5 or 2.0.
    Can I ask where did you get the 1.4.5 jar file from? Is it the European version?

Maybe you can PM me the file?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Can I ask where did you get the 1.4.5 jar file from? Is it the European version?

Maybe you can PM me the file?

Thanks!

Rob
    I grabbed the Pre+ version from O2.
    Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals