View Poll Results: Did you purchase drPodder in the App Catalog? (Answers are private)

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I use the catalog version now!

360 61.64%
  • Yes! But just to contribute; I'm still using the homebrew version.

89 15.24%
  • No. There are no paid apps in my country yet!

42 7.19%
  • No. Why would I purchase something I can get for free?

39 6.68%
  • No. Some other reason...

54 9.25%
Page 10 of 118 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I deleted my OLD version of this App and then installed your latest version. The icon is on my Pre but when I click on it, the app loads to the main menu but there are no pictures of the podcasts as there were before. Also, when I click on say TWiT the screen turns blank white and nothing happens. Is anyone else getting this? What am I doing wrong?
    Yep...exact same thing here. Which is sad...cuz I was lovin' this app until now.
    Works for me. Though I do get long pauses and stoppages, even on a strong wifi signal.
    where was version 0.2.3 installed on the pre? I can't uninstall it with orange+sym click... and I don't see it in /usr/palm/applications
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    At first I was thinking the app wasn't working because it was doing nothing, but later on I figured I just had to wait for the episode to load. The wait is longer when the signal is slow or weak. Therefore, I propose you add the connection/buffering icon that tells the user that the app is loading the podcast. It works great though! I stopped listening to Buzz out load for some time after I got my Pre, but now I'm back on track.
    +1 Good idea. I was waiting an unusually long time for one podcast before I realized it was playing through my BT headset.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vkewalra View Post
    I haven't seen anybody else with the same issue, so maybe I'm doing something wrong:
    for all feeds I add, when they are first added there will be listings for previous episodes, however when I close the app they disappear
    This doesn't happen with the included feeds, just the new ones I add.
    Are you sure you're using the latest version? Go to the App Menu->About and make sure you're on 0.3.1 (if you don't see the about menu, then you're on an old version)

Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    Can you give us the option for a prompt when adding new feeds that asks how far back we'd like to download feeds?
    I plan on putting in a number of episodes to keep (all, 1-10, or something crazy like that), and an auto-download new episodes option. I think this will solve what you're looking to do.

I propose you add the connection/buffering icon that tells the user that the app is loading the podcast.
    Yes, that's a streaming issue that I need to address.

Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I deleted my OLD version of this App and then installed your latest version. The icon is on my Pre but when I click on it, the app loads to the main menu but there are no pictures of the podcasts as there were before. Also, when I click on say TWiT the screen turns blank white and nothing happens. Is anyone else getting this? What am I doing wrong?
    I'll probably remove this in the next version since it has caused confusion, but as the details for 0.3.1 state
    This also means that on a clean install (not that you need to do this), you will have to tap refresh once to get things loaded.
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderCup View Post
    where was version 0.2.3 installed on the pre? I can't uninstall it with orange+sym click... and I don't see it in /usr/palm/applications
    Should be in /var/usr/palm/applications
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane350 View Post
    Does this work with AAC podcasts?
    Seems to work with Engadget Try out your favorite and if it doesn't work I'll try to find out why!
    Great app! Thank you for making this!

The only issue that I seem to have is that some podcasts will not pause when I press the pause button, even when I download the whole podcast first. A little inconvenient, but only a minor complaint.

All in all, excellent job!

EDIT: Nice, new update to 0.3.1 fixed the pause issue! You rock!
    Last edited by dajlol77; 07/29/2009 at 08:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Are you sure you're using the latest version? Go to the App Menu->About and make sure you're on 0.3.1 (if you don't see the about menu, then you're on an old version)
    I'm using 0.3.1. I think this may be limited to specific podcasts, specifically those on npr.org, since all my others are now keeping their episode list after closing the app. The ones that aren't working are:
    NPR: Car Talk Podcast
    NPR: Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! Podcast

Other than that, it's been great. Some suggestions that you're probably working on:
    - a notification icon (like pandora or music)
    - pause functionality with a2dp headphones
    Quote Originally Posted by vkewalra View Post
    - pause functionality with a2dp headphones
    Not 100% sure, but I think that's a Pre issue, not this app.
    I scrolled through the thread and didn't see this, but if it's a repeat my apologies.

Suggestion: Enable the pause button on the Palm ear buds. Don't know if it's accessible via the API or not?
    I cant believe that I was at work today just wishing there was an app that did this exact thing and boom you have it made... You rock?!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Just when I thought that I would miss my Zune as a podcast player!
    I want to give a sincere "thank you" to you for this app.
    I have been struggling with the built in music player and this is definitely that app I have been waiting for.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I like this (but have no use for it). I wish someone would make an RSS reader with email capabilities and whatnot. Maybe a next project???
    Quote Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
    I like this (but have no use for it). I wish someone would make an RSS reader with email capabilities and whatnot. Maybe a next project???
    Apparently you never saw this. http://www.precentral.net/palm-craft...homebrew-scene
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Adding the keyboard buttons for play/pause, forward, and back really added a whole new level of functionality to this app. LOVING IT. Helps out in the car a lot.
    At first I was thinking the app wasn't working because it was doing nothing, but later on I figured I just had to wait for the episode to load. The wait is longer when the signal is slow or weak. Therefore, I propose you add the connection/buffering icon that tells the user that the app is loading the podcast. It works great though! I stopped listening to Buzz out load for some time after I got my Pre, but now I'm back on track.
    +1. Both on the feature request/bug and the Buzz Out Loud...I love that podcast! I bet Brian Tong And Natalie are hookin up on the side (sorry for the soap opera drama...just my opinion)!

And another bug...when you download and listen to a podcast, the pause plays fine. However, I cannot pause a streaming one. I dont know if this has already been documented, but I am running v0.3.0 on a 1.1.0 Pre.

I love this App, BTW! I like how you incorporated the ability to re-order the lists of podcasts and even swipe to delete podcasts. Can we have that feature in once you are in that podcast to delete the specific episodes? Just seems natural to me instead of clicking the green arrow and selecting download.

Lastly, I notice some one else mentioned a failure in the attempt to download a specific podcast that was large. You (the OP) mentioned that it was because it gives a redirect command or something like that. I am getting the same issue with Leo Laporte's The Tech Guy. The error states this url "http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/twit.cachefly.net/TTG20090725-581.mp3". I can stream this, but it doesnt pause and it doesnt remember where I left off if I back out of it. Can you kindly look into these issues?!

Edit: Pause works on streaming Autoblog podcast.
    Last edited by BMIC50; 07/30/2009 at 10:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    What does an RSS address usually look like? I am trying to add the PTI podcast from ESPNRADIO and it has an RSS button, and when I click it i get the source code.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    And another bug...when you download and listen to a podcast, the pause plays fine. However, I cannot pause a streaming one. I dont know if this has already been documented, but I am running v0.3.0 on a 1.1.0 Pre.
    This might have been fixed in v0.3.1, there was a bug in 0.3.0 where trying to pause in an episode of a newly created feed wouldn't work. You should be able to upgrade without losing anything. The thread title hasn't been updated to reflect the new version (it was such a small update that I didn't want to bug the mods)

Can we have that feature in once you are in that podcast to delete the specific episodes?

I am getting the same issue with Leo Laporte's The Tech Guy. The error states this url "http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/twit.cachefly.net/TTG20090725-581.mp3".
    So I wanted to do this, and probably still could. Here's the thing. Swipe to delete normally means remove this item FROM THE LIST. That's not what we're doing when we swipe to delete a downloaded episode. However, it probably would make more sense to just go with it. I'll look into this, as well as the redirect issue. I'm currently looking into the redirects on eerie radio that someone mentioned earlier, so maybe it's similar. Did you try that download again, is it consistently erroring out?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunz4sale View Post
    What does an RSS address usually look like? I am trying to add the PTI podcast from ESPNRADIO and it has an RSS button, and when I click it i get the source code.
    That's exactly it, what you want to do is copy the address of the page that has the "source code". It should be this: ESPN Radio: Best of Mike and Mike

Then you would paste that into the url in the add feed dialog.
    reference: groovy and 471405 detailed how this is done.

Btw, I haven't forgotten the request to make "add feed" a dedicated scene, that's done and will come in the next release.
    Last edited by drnull; 07/30/2009 at 10:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    This might have been fixed in v0.3.1, there was a bug in 0.3.0 where trying to pause in an episode of a newly created feed wouldn't work. You should be able to upgrade without losing anything. The thread title hasn't been updated to reflect the new version (it was such a small update that I didn't want to bug the mods)

So I wanted to do this, and probably still could. Here's the thing. Swipe to delete normally means remove this item FROM THE LIST. That's not what we're doing when we swipe to delete a downloaded episode. However, it probably would make more sense to just go with it. I'll look into this, as well as the redirect issue. I'm currently looking into the redirects on eerie radio that someone mentioned earlier, so maybe it's similar. Did you try that download again, is it consistently erroring out?

That's exactly it, what you want to do is copy the address of the page that has the "source code". It should be this: ESPN Radio: Best of Mike and Mike

Then you would paste that into the url in the add feed dialog.
    reference: groovy and 471405 detailed how this is done.

Btw, I haven't forgotten the request to make "add feed" a dedicated scene, that's done and will come in the next release.
    <xsl:value-of select="rss/channel/title"/> <-- is that what I want to add or is it?
    ESPN Radio: Best of Mike and Mike

NVM i got it, thanks a lot =)
    Huge thanks for this. Lack of podcast support was my A#1 Pre gripe. Looks like you're off to a really good start here.

Some suggestions / questions:
    1. Displaying titles: In both the feed listing and episode listing, is it possible to either scroll the titles or wrap them onto multiple rows? In other words, give us some means of seeing the entire title on the screen. I know the built in media player does not do this for artist / album / track title info when we're viewing the library, so maybe it's beyond your control.

2. Downloaded ep counter: If I go to the episode listing and set an episode downloading, then return to the feed listing screen, the download continues (as expected). However, when that download completes, the counter for how many episodes have been downloaded does not seem to update. I have to go to the episode screen sometime after the d/l has completed and then back to the feed listing to get the counter to update.

3. "Mark All Listened" would be nice for those feeds that have TONS of old episodes in them. Then we could just go back mark the last few unlistened. Maybe put it on the drop down menu on the episode screen.

When you get around to the scheduling of downloads...
    1. Will we have to open the card to let the schedule run, or do you think you'll be able to automatically wake the application up on a schedule?

2. BeyondPod for WM has a nice feature where it can switch on the WiFi radio when it wakes up to download content and the shut that radio back off when it's done. Don't want to go into the long winded discussion of why I liked that feature, but I do have my reasons. Obviously, that's a way down the road consideration, but I figure I'd throw it out there.

3. Catch-up mode: For current event feeds, you generally only want the most recent. But for stuff like Paudio books (audio books delivered a chapter at a time via rss), you want to start with the oldest episode first. Since space is limited on the Pre, we may not want to download all of the available chapters at once. Catch-up mode would download the oldest episode, watch for us to delete it, and then download the next oldest episode. Again, just something for future thought. I know you're not this far along yet, and I'm perfectly happy just to have the app right now.