Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    This is a simple app that calculates dietary values based on calories, fat and fiber. This is an interval update while I continue to work on Rexalbel's design.

1.06 is now available!

Click DietTrac link below for more info!

- Pop-up keypad for easy numeric entry
    - New navigational buttons and other functions neatly placed on the bottom row
    - New scene/card for weight logging and stats
    - Toggle buttons for weight gain or loss
    - New help page to tell you what those buttons do

1.0.4:

- An onscreen numeric keypad for quick calculations that focuses input to the selected field
    - A second scene with a log to track daily units
    - List management of units along with auto calc of units in list
    - HTML5 storage to keep your log saved
    - Weight input field to track weight with daily units
    - New icon (Thanks Rexabel!)
    - Export to Calendar of daily weight and log
    - Calendar accounts (in preferences) now shows icon
    - Calendar account is deleted when you delete the program

Download the latest version from the Homebrew Apps Gallery: DietTrac
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chimeric; 08/26/2009 at 09:08 PM.
    Just like the WW Points app, you take your development future into your own hands. Weight Watchers has their POINTS system patented and in the past they been heavy handed in protecting it. Whether they still maintain that attitude is another issue.
    You might skate by by allowing users to enter their own values to calculate with. Then enter "incorrect" default values. Just thinking.
    This one doesn't look like too much of a problem. It doesn't use WW name and uses a commonly available formula. Surely 'points' as the name for the results of a calculation can't be patented, even in the US.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    There is a similar calculator on the web, so I guess we'll see...

My plan (with help) is to expand functionality.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    how are you planning on doing the onscreen keyboard? codewise that is. I have have been think about how to incorporate one into a program I am writing but can't figure out how.
    There are plenty of point trackers on the iphone/touch. The formula is public. As long as no reference to points or ww is made it will be fine. instead of points we refer to them as three types. Daily, weekly and fit. No mention of the actual word "points".
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    ... uses a commonly available formula....
    Very good. Now take a wild, unrestrained guess who owns the patent for that formula.

I'll save you the time. Here they are the patents themselves:
    Process for controlling body weight - Google Patent Search
    Process for controlling body weight - Google Patent Search

Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    There are plenty of point trackers on the iphone/touch....
    If this is the case, then they have calmed down in recent years. WWcalc for PalmOS was effectively shut down by Weight Watchers just a few years ago, admittedly, before the iPhone launched.

Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    ... The formula is public ....
    Known to the Public and In the Public Domain are two completely different things. That formula is NOT in the public domain.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 07/23/2009 at 09:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    If this is the case, then they have calmed down in recent years. WWcalc for PalmOS was effectively shut down by Weight Watchers just a few years ago, admittedly, before the iPhone launched.
    I can understand that Weight Watchers would have problems with the name WWcalc.
    I know they were really strict. I had an app called iPoints for the ipod touch last fall. it was then taken away as well as many other apps related to points. then a couple months ago it came back with a completely different name, no reference to points at all. A few other apps similar also came back or were created. I can honestly say though, that I do not know much about public domains but this app would deffinatly not be the first of its kind, and is not on the iphone (which has more public attention then the pre right now) so I don't think it will be an issue as of now. No reference to points will be put in this app. Also the rules to the app will be more user based. Such as the amount of the score a person can use will be decided by the user as well as the amount of weekly scores which will be implemented later. I could contact park east and ask them how they got their app back and not taken off again for extra assurance. I do know any reference to points or weight watchers is an automatic flag though. Also when the app was deleted. a different app structured the same way did come out which aloud the user to imput their own formulas, however to honest it made things more complicated and unless that was simplified, I would not like to go that route. (user had to remember which block was which part of the formula rather than simply having fiber fat and cals.
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Call them KRYLONS instead of points.
    Lol cool name did you come up with that?
    Hah Hah... Cool title! But honestly, I thought it was an rss feed that followed Dieter.

Anyways, cool app! Suggestion, can we make it more like this:
    Lose It! | Fresh Apps - iPhone Apps

Just tossing ideas out.
    It'll be a little different because its a different diet we are going on here, but similar. Idk if a database is pssible there would need to be one available to use. But the concept is similar to what's on the horizon
    What diet is this point output actually based on? Or do we just make it up as we go.
    I would like to see a record of caloric intake throughout the day, that is the primary thing I need.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Wieght watchers equivalant
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I can understand that Weight Watchers would have problems with the name WWcalc.
    If that were merely the case the developer would have just changed the name, but they somehow stopped him from developing the app any further.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Call them KRYLONS instead of points.
    I'll definitely be removing any reference to "points". Rexalbel will be helping make it better looking and more functional.
    I said it before and I'll say it again...

Diets are for the weak.
    I would like to see a diet calculator based upon u.s. recomended daily values. Ideally, punch in "large banana" and have all the values change, glow angry red when your over, etc.

Need database access though...
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast