Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    that may be difficult with the text boxes as they are now, but I will certainly look into it.
    Great app!!! Aside from the previously mentioned percentage at the bottom incorrectly being divided by the "split", it works very well. A few suggestions:

1. Maybe an option (on-screen or not) to either include or exclude the tax in the tip, while still showing the tax. I like to see what the tax is supposed to be, so I know if they applied the right amount, yet I DO include it in my tip. Therefore, I need to have the % and cannot make it zero. Does anyone really ever pay a tax of a specific dollar amount versus a percentage? Change that button to include or exclude the tax from the tip. That way, it would be a screen option, usable when splitting and others in the group decide they don't want to tip on the tax.

2. I also would -really- like numbers to be entered on an on-screen "pad" for ease of use (in addition to the keyboard, I guess, although it would make the keyboard obsolete). How about having it on the very bottom, like the next screen? I could press the field I want to enter, then "slide" up the display to reveal the number pad. When I press the "enter" key on the pad, it would automatically slide down again, out of the way. The number pad would have to include a "back arrow" to erase the latest digit entered as well as a display of what you're entering.

3. As previously mentioned, the full amounts should be shown, with the split total also being shown. No need to show the split tax, as only the total amount is really being split. One way to fit this on the screen might be to have vertical columns for the tip, total and split amounts, instead of having them in rows.

4. Recognize the alpha keys as numbers, in case the person presses the orange button by mistake, taking it out of "numeric lock" mode. I could press either 4 or D with the same result. Not a big thing, but maybe useful.

Thanks again for a great app!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Is there any plan or to-do list that involves adapting to a user selectable option whether to round the tip vs. the total?
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uminchu View Post
    Is there any plan or to-do list that involves adapting to a user selectable option whether to round the tip vs. the total?
    do people really do this often? Makes more sense to me that you would want to throw down an even total so you can get out of the restaurant without worrying about change....what good does given a waiter(ess) an even tip do? They are bound to end up with an odd amount of change at the end of the night anyway? Thanks for any info
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adma84 View Post
    do people really do this often? Makes more sense to me that you would want to throw down an even total so you can get out of the restaurant without worrying about change....what good does given a waiter(ess) an even tip do? They are bound to end up with an odd amount of change at the end of the night anyway? Thanks for any info
    Maybe it's just me, but I've often been told by servers that they definitely prefer even tips. So if there's no split, I'll most often use a card, I don't care about change in my total, and I try to accommodate the server by rounding the tip. I agree with you that when out with friends and we're all throwing down cash, rounding the total is the way to go. IMO, you'd have a better app by offering a choice, but it's already a pretty good app, so this is definitely not a big deal.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uminchu View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I've often been told by servers that they definitely prefer even tips. So if there's no split, I'll most often use a card, I don't care about change in my total, and I try to accommodate the server by rounding the tip. I agree with you that when out with friends and we're all throwing down cash, rounding the total is the way to go. IMO, you'd have a better app by offering a choice, but it's already a pretty good app, so this is definitely not a big deal.
    I always pay by credit card. Most of the restaurants that I go to "tip-out" the waiter as soon as I pay the bill. (They pull the cash out of the register and put it in the waiter's box).

So I always round up the tip to an even dollar amount.

Some of the restaurants don't accept the tip on the credit card. In those cases, I leave the cash for the tip on the table. Once again, I round up the tip to an even dollar amount.
    Steve
    I usually leave the tip on the table when I use a credit card to pay the bill. Often, the server won't be around at closing, and some establishments give out the tips at closing. Plus, that way I know they got the tip. If it's a particularly large tip, I'll even hand it to them so nobody takes it.

However, it's easy enough, once this app shows what the tip should be, to simply round it up or down in your head and leave an even amount. Even when splitting, I'll take a tip of $12.77 and just leave $13.00, and I won't charge the other people for the 23 cents. No big deal.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    I liked the first version of this app better... I actually want it back because I dont like the latest version of this app..

the first version was simple and to the point and the latest version is kinda cumbersome...

just my opinion...
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    OK everyone, I made changes based off many of your suggestions! Please check out the new version and let me know what you think of it! I majorly overhauled the backend, so there are bound to be some bugs. Let me know if you catch any!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    I liked the first version of this app better... I actually want it back because I dont like the latest version of this app..

the first version was simple and to the point and the latest version is kinda cumbersome...

just my opinion...
    kind of curious what has gotten in your way. At the end of the day, it still takes the exact same number of steps to get to your tip in this version as the original. There are just more options if you need something different (this was completely driven by community requests) Thanks for checking it out anyway
    I love the app, Adma - just some very minor complaints:

Any way you can edit the size of the boxes so it is all in one page? I don't like how the rounding options are cut off.

Secondly, I love the notification bar, but I feel as if it lasts a second too long. Is there any way we can shorten it by half a sec or at least add the option to shorten it to the preferences?

Thanks again for being so responsive in your updates!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianzedge View Post
    I love the app, Adma - just some very minor complaints:

Any way you can edit the size of the boxes so it is all in one page? I don't like how the rounding options are cut off.

Secondly, I love the notification bar, but I feel as if it lasts a second too long. Is there any way we can shorten it by half a sec or at least add the option to shorten it to the preferences?

Thanks again for being so responsive in your updates!
    Im not too pleased with the box height either. If someone knows of a way to reduce the row size, I will go for it! I have tried all kinds of CSS magic, but with no luck. I also do not know of a way to shorten the length of the notify. Sorry!
    New version looks good
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    kind of curious what has gotten in your way. At the end of the day, it still takes the exact same number of steps to get to your tip in this version as the original. There are just more options if you need something different (this was completely driven by community requests) Thanks for checking it out anyway
    I just wish that the tax included option was still there...

Most restaurants hand you a bill that already has the tax included...

I just don't see why there is even a tax amount option...
    Just wanted to say THANKS for this wonderful app. This was one of the first things I looked for when I got my Pre yesterday. When I found it was only available via a homebrew, that was it, Homebrew was the way I was going! I love this app!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    thanks!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Important News!!! TipCalc has been submitted to Palm for inclusion into the official App store. The version from PreCentral will cease to work after September 15, 2009. However, TipCalc will initially be free in the official Palm store. I don't know when I will change the price to paid, but I wanted to let you all know that you WILL have the opportunity to get the App FOR FREE from the official store (with all future update being FREE, if you downloaded the original one for free). I hope there will be little lag time (if any) between the Precentral version expiring and the official inclusion into the App store, but I can't be too sure. Please PM me with any questions.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Your app is cool but I prefer tip em.. for the simple fact that its fast and simple and factors in tax already.

I have have yet to visit a restaurant that didn't factor in tax to the bill...

I just feel that the tax part on your app is an unnecessary extra step..

NOT bashing or anything, its just my opinion..
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    Your app is cool but I prefer tip em.. for the simple fact that its fast and simple and factors in tax already.

I have have yet to visit a restaurant that didn't factor in tax to the bill...

I just feel that the tax part on your app is an unnecessary extra step..

NOT bashing or anything, its just my opinion..
    understood, but if you just put in a total amount, you will be forced to tip off of subtotal + tax. I give you the option to do either. If you use % tip, it will save the percentage, and you never have to enter tax again (i.e., only ONE time) so does it really end up being an extra step at all?
    My Programs: TipIt(TipCalc), FillUps
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    understood, but if you just put in a total amount, you will be forced to tip off of subtotal + tax. I give you the option to do either. If you use % tip, it will save the percentage, and you never have to enter tax again (i.e., only ONE time) so does it really end up being an extra step at all?
    this is true..

i guess i never looked at it that way..
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast