Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Just updated to version 1.0.3. Minor updates, mostly visual. People wanted me to get rid of that top bar, so I finally did. You can easily find the version in the about menu and there is a shameless plug to rate the app :-) Will post a changelog later tonight!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper1010 View Post
    +1, in the interest of simplicity. just enter the bill's total, if i skip the tax section, it should calculate anyway. otherwise, very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhilman View Post
    some people don't tip on tax.
    Fair enough (even though I don't know a single person who doesn't calculate tip on the total bill. Maybe it's a Taxachusetts thing), so why shouldn't leaving the tax field empty still result in a tip? You could leave it blank, in that you don't calculate tip with the tax, I could leave it blank, because I'd only fill in the total in the first field. Saves an extra step, right?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hi, great app, use it all the time. I just enter a 0 for tax and it calcs the bill. I like all the options you have (% tax or #, round up/down). The layout is great, easily understandable.

Now, for my one comment: would it be difficult to add an on screen touch number pad to input the numbers? Maybe a button next to the number field so you have an option to either us hardware keys or touch the button to bring up screen number pad. I think something like that would make this the best overall tipcalc. Thanks again for the great work!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmkarc View Post
    Hi, great app, use it all the time. I just enter a 0 for tax and it calcs the bill. I like all the options you have (% tax or #, round up/down). The layout is great, easily understandable.

Now, for my one comment: would it be difficult to add an on screen touch number pad to input the numbers? Maybe a button next to the number field so you have an option to either us hardware keys or touch the button to bring up screen number pad. I think something like that would make this the best overall tipcalc. Thanks again for the great work!
    I was thinking of adding one. I was thinking I would have a preferences page where you would either choose to use it or not. I don't really want to clutter out the main layout much more. Do you think that would be a good solution?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adma84 View Post
    I was thinking of adding one. I was thinking I would have a preferences page where you would either choose to use it or not. I don't really want to clutter out the main layout much more. Do you think that would be a good solution?
    I think that would be fine, being able to turn it on/off as a style. I agree with not cluttering the layout.
    This morning I was also thinking about if it could be like a drop down menu under your 'Bill Information' area. I attached some quick mock-ups (work is slow). Now, I do not know anything about programming so take these w/ a grain of salt. Just mocked them up in photoshop.
    So, basically you would tap that 'Number Pad' bar and it would reveal the # pad. Then enter your values, and tap the bar again to hide. The number buttons maybe to small to be accurate.
    Thanks for the opportunity to be apart of the development!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    not that this is a huge deal or anything, but my app is in the engadget screen shot on homebrew installs! :-)

Installing Pre homebrew apps: now even easier
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmkarc View Post
    I think that would be fine, being able to turn it on/off as a style. I agree with not cluttering the layout.
    This morning I was also thinking about if it could be like a drop down menu under your 'Bill Information' area. I attached some quick mock-ups (work is slow). Now, I do not know anything about programming so take these w/ a grain of salt. Just mocked them up in photoshop.
    So, basically you would tap that 'Number Pad' bar and it would reveal the # pad. Then enter your values, and tap the bar again to hide. The number buttons maybe to small to be accurate.
    Thanks for the opportunity to be apart of the development!
    and thanks for the feedback, I will certainly look into this for the next release
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Fair enough (even though I don't know a single person who doesn't calculate tip on the total bill. Maybe it's a Taxachusetts thing), so why shouldn't leaving the tax field empty still result in a tip? You could leave it blank, in that you don't calculate tip with the tax, I could leave it blank, because I'd only fill in the total in the first field. Saves an extra step, right?
    actually, most people don't tip on tax (why do you tip based on what what the government is reserving for themselves??) Regardless, if you choose to put 0 in the tax field, the app will remember your value, and you will never have to enter it again. Does this make sense?
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I updated TipCalc tonight. Minor change, but it alerts you the actual tip% when you choose to round up or down. Let me know what you guys think.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I updated TipCalc tonight. Minor change, but it alerts you the actual tip% when you choose to round up or down. Let me know what you guys think.
    So to clarify, the alert lets you know the actual total tip for each individual person if you round up or down? If so, that's a pretty neat feature.
    actually, most people don't tip on tax (why do you tip based on what what the government is reserving for themselves??) Regardless, if you choose to put 0 in the tax field, the app will remember your value, and you will never have to enter it again. Does this make sense?
    yup.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gtacura View Post
    So to clarify, the alert lets you know the actual total tip for each individual person if you round up or down? If so, that's a pretty neat feature.
    No, the tip field already tells you that if you are splitting a bill. It tells you what each person would need to tip in order to achieve a x% tip. The notification is for people who's calculated total (including tip) comes to $29.03 and just decide to round up to $30.00 That increase translates into a larger percentage tip that you are leaving your waiter(ess) and it's a simple notification. Example Math:

bill: 8.00
    tax:4.5%
    desired tip:18%

calculated total = 8.00 + .18*8.00+.045*8 = $9.80 (subtotal + tip + tax)
    Therefore, your tip above (.18*8) = $1.44

You decide to throw down a $10, which means your tip will really end up being ($10 - tax - subtotal) = $1.64

New Tip / Subtotal = is a $20.5% tip! Which is just nice to know. It's pretty insignificant if your change is close to the number to which you are rounding (up or down), but I thought it would be nice to know. It will also matter less if your meal was very expensive (because my utility only rounds up or down within a dollar)

Hope this helps...
    it's not saving zero as my default tax. when i close and reopen, it forgets that field.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    it's not saving zero as my default tax. when i close and reopen, it forgets that field.
    I will check this, but I suspect it has to do with dollar amount (for tax). Try selecting %tip and setting that equal to 0. I think it should remember it then. I don't think it remembers dollar amount tax because (typically) that varies from bill to bill (because your subtotal fluctuates). I didn't anticipate the $0 tax situation. Like I said though, flip it to %tip and set that to 0...
    nice. i thought i tried that, but i guess not. that was the answer.
    Decent App, but sorry to say I like the other Tip Calculator App that is available, for some reason its not in the Homebrew App Catalog yet but it was in the original thread of links to homebrew apps that was used before they created the Homebrew App Cat. So you would have to get it by the URL, but its much easier and nicer design. The biggest difference is it is all touch as the number keypad is on the screen and I don't have to open the slider to enter the bill and stuff, so until you add a touch keypad to your app, I will still be using the first Tip Calculator App, sorry.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I like TipCalc for certain reasons and Tip Calculator Redux for other reasons. Reasons I like the other app:

1. I don't have to input the decimal point.

2. It displays tax amount when I input tax as percentage (see my previous post on one solution for this in TipCalc)

3. When splitting bill, it displays total bill as well as total each person.

4. When splitting bill, it displays total tip amount. I think this is more important than per person tip amount. When will one split only the tip and not total bill?

I do appreciate the active development on this app which is the reason I mention these things here. I'm hoping this app will be better all around than the competition.
    The banner notification when you round up or down that alerts you to the percentage you ended up tipping has a bug in it. It needs to multiply by the #SPLIT. As it is now, it shows the tip percentage assuming that only one person is paying, e.g. 10% tip for a 20% tip on a bill split two ways.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fareal View Post
    I like TipCalc for certain reasons and Tip Calculator Redux for other reasons. Reasons I like the other app:

1. I don't have to input the decimal point.

2. It displays tax amount when I input tax as percentage (see my previous post on one solution for this in TipCalc)

3. When splitting bill, it displays total bill as well as total each person.

4. When splitting bill, it displays total tip amount. I think this is more important than per person tip amount. When will one split only the tip and not total bill?

I do appreciate the active development on this app which is the reason I mention these things here. I'm hoping this app will be better all around than the competition.
    1.you dont have to enter the decimal on this app either. Just enter 4503 and 45.03 will be formatted for you

2. and 3. I have been thinking of a clean way to incorporate these into my app. should be the next thing I tackle

4. Good point

Thanks for the support, life's crazy and I wish I could work on this more often...

Quote Originally Posted by phomchick View Post
    The banner notification when you round up or down that alerts you to the percentage you ended up tipping has a bug in it. It needs to multiply by the #SPLIT. As it is now, it shows the tip percentage assuming that only one person is paying, e.g. 10% tip for a 20% tip on a bill split two ways.
    Thanks for the alert. I will take a look later this week.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    1.you dont have to enter the decimal on this app either. Just enter 4503 and 45.03 will be formatted for you
    Nice. Didn't notice that. To make it more intuitive maybe there is some way you can have the decimal be visible as the user is typing.

Thanks for the reply.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast