Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For anyone that is, will be be on, or have someone close to you that is on Weight Watchers, here's an app that allows you to figure out how many "points" your food is worth according to WW standards.

Select the appropriate number of calories, fat, and fiber per serving and there you go!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I had an app that did this on PalmOS and also tracked points and set the points budget. WW sued the developer.
  3.    #3  
    Well they must be suing a lot of people. There's hundreds of sites up around the net that have the formula.
    Yeah, if you were looking to get the Homebrew scene some attention, this ain't how to do it. WW, I think, has their method patented.

This may be less of an issue these days as the POINTS system is no longer WW's focus and I find that CNET is also brazzen enough to distribute the app.
    WWCalc - Calculator & Journal - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

For the record, WWcalc was better than the official WW app in many ways.
    Diets are for sissy's

Changed the title to reflect the forum guidelines.
  6.    #6  
    [QUOTE]Yeah, if you were looking to get the Homebrew scene some attention, this ain't how to do it. WW, I think, has their method patented.[\QUOTE]

I'm not a developer per se, I'm an Oracle DBA.

The little apps I've done are pretty much for my own benefit, and I thought I'd share them. I could really care less if any of my 'lil apps gets famous (which I would highly doubt anyway!)

Habla! - my wife is Puerto Rican, and I've been learning Spanish, that was why I made it.

WW Points - my wife did WW to trim down for our wedding. Even though she's no longer really doing WW, and we're active in the gym and salsa dancing, sometimes she still looks at food and asks, "I wonder how many points this is?"

So, I made WW Points to answer that question for her.

The formula I used is publicly accessible anyway: Weight Watchers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by taalibeen; 07/23/2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Formatting
    Of course the formula is available. It's been patented. When you patent something you have to tell people what it is you've patented. There is no such thing as a secret patent.

I understand that you made it for your wife, but to then release it is, yes, technically going over the line.

If Weight Watcher's never says anything then you're fine, but it's a risk I wouldn't take.
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 07/23/2009 at 06:50 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Reading more into it, what is copyrighted is the CURRENT formula, which differs from the one I used, and is widely available around the net.

Apparently, it would only be an issue if I used the current formula which is available (in theory) only to WW members.

Since that is not the case, put your fears aside - and if you need it, use WW Points! LOL.

On a side note, if for some incredibly strange reason, WW decided to come after me - bypassing the 100+ sites using the same formula (which IS NOT copyrighted) - it would only be a testament to the power of the Pre!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Believe it or not, it's the "Points" that is their copyright. Just don't say points, and don't reference weight watchers. Otherwise, yeah, they are sue happy unfortunately. Cease and Desist will hit precentral in about 2-3 days.
  10.    #10  
    Mods, if you're listening - please rename this thread to WW "Things a a QB scores when he completes a pass to a wide receiver who happens to have already crossed the goal line" calculator, and change all references of weight watchers to "people who think they've eaten one too many donuts."

That should solve any legal issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    Mods, if you're listening - please rename this thread to WW "Things a a QB scores when he completes a pass to a wide receiver who happens to have already crossed the goal line" calculator, and change all references of weight watchers to "people who think they've eaten one too many donuts."

Der.

You're right, the formula is NOT copywritten. It's patented: 6040531, 6878885.

But if iPhone and other apps exist unthreatened, as I've just learned, then likely you will be fine. But not because you're in the right, because they choose not to enforce their patent.
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post

If you wish, I'll change it... but let's get that guy a lil shorter yano?
    Great app!
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    In order to create a "patent friendly" app, the application should allow the user to assign the values in the equation for calculating "points" or "food values."

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Nazi View Post
    In order to create a "patent friendly" app, the application should allow the user to assign the values in the equation for calculating "points" or "food values."

I'm not quite sure I understand your suggestion.
    Most likely the other apps license the patent from WW.

I was going to work on this myself but looks liek you beat me to it. PreFart has taken most of my time.

Great App!
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CTL Advance View Post
    Most likely the other apps license the patent from WW.

I was going to work on this myself but looks liek you beat me to it. PreFart has taken most of my time.

Great App!
    LMFAO.......PRE FARTS HAS TAKEN TOO MUCH OF YOUR TIME..... HAHAHAHA AND YOU ADMITTED IT
    The Wams
    OMG thank you! I hate having to log onto the website, zoom in on the screen just to see the fields. This will have me so much time.

Suggestion: let the user enter values from keyboard. It would be quicker.
    Last edited by g33kgirl; 07/26/2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Suggestion
    Nice quick app... thanks!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    thanks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast