Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    any updates?
  2.    #22  
    So I am back from traveling and starting this up again, so here is where it stands.

1. I am having a problem both authenticating and displaying utorrent's webui, even when using louish, so that is kind of at a standstill.

2. Transmission's web interface defaults to an iphone interface that doesnt work well on the pre, and changing the virtual screen size doesnt fix this. I can modify the transmission source code, but I am looking for a better solution.

3. I am still waiting to hear back from torrelay.com with regards to their api. Once I get a code, it looks like using it will be pretty easy.

So all in all, a little frustrating right now, but if there are any suggestions or desires to contribute let me know. Thanks for your patience.
    How may I contribute
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Great to hear your back on it!

The Moment this is release and works.... Put Up a Donation Link! =-D

Question: Would be able to received calls/msg while d/l torrent? (Im guessing yea)
    Where would they save?
    DO you think this would drain the crap out of our battery ... if we, u know, D/L like 5 gigs of anime a day? =-)
    www.MTFX.tv
    -Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I hate to beg and stray off topic, but if anyone has a demonoid invite to give out i'd love one!
    Quote Originally Posted by fain View Post
    Well the built in mp3 player only rescans the drive on a usb eject. So with the mp3 player in its current default state, no it is not possible.

What you could do though, because you need a webserver to serve transmissions web interface. Have transmission set to download to a web directory then just browse to that directory through the pres browser and stream it directly from your server.

You could even use .htaccess to password protect the web directory if security is a concern.
    I stand corrected, you can download a mp3 with filecoaster and the mp3 player finds it. It would not work with a sftp transfer last I tried it.

edit: I just tried it via sftp and it worked this time!! Must have been in the 1.1 update. That or something just didnt go right the first time I tried it.
  7. huh
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    This looks very nicely done. Be warned that if we use this over EV-DO you might break some sort of SLA with sprint...still excited non-the-less
  8.    #28  
    So good news and bad news. First off, is I am 90% sure I'll have the first version of the app out today. This version will not download torrents straight to your phone yet, it will utilize Transmission's web interface. Unfortunately, in order to use it you must download the source code, and change one line so that it doesn't try and detect the pre as an iphone. Hopefully we can get this changed.

How may I contribute
    As soon as I release this I'll have an answer for you.

edit: I just tried it via sftp and it worked this time!! Must have been in the 1.1 update. That or something just didnt go right the first time I tried it.
    Great news.

This looks very nicely done. Be warned that if we use this over EV-DO you might break some sort of SLA with sprint...still excited non-the-less
    We will have to look into that further.

Question: Would be able to received calls/msg while d/l torrent? (Im guessing yea)
    Where would they save?
    DO you think this would drain the crap out of our battery ... if we, u know, D/L like 5 gigs of anime a day? =-)
    For now I plan on using torrelay to actually download the torrents for us, and then the torrents will be "relayed" to the phone off of their servers. Having a torrent downloader directly on the phone would definitely put serious drain on the battery.

Lastly, being that I still haven't heard back from torrelay's team, I am going to start implementing it by basically pasting the mininova code directly onto their website. For the time being, this will mean that you need the download patch enabled for your browser. That will be a day or two off though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fordaaronj View Post
    I am currently developing an application that takes a category and a string for a search, and gets the resulting rss feed from mininova in that category, sorted by seeds. This much is done...not too bad (see pics).

From there I can easily download the torrent file. My short-term plan is
    1. to be able to inject that torrent into the Transmission web interface, and then switch into a webview to manage your host downloads
    2. to also be able to connect to the torrelay service (I just requested their api today) so that you can download an album or something directly to your phone.

...down the road
    3. add more search sites
    4. be able to see comments (shouldn't be hard at all with webview)

If there is a desire for the source code so far, I'll post it soon. Otherwise if you have any suggestions or want to help, let me know. Thanks

...and I definitely need a new name.
    Is this app going to be able to work like this:
    We select the torrent we would like to download, it would then send the torrent to a computer and put it in, let say uTorrent, for download.. correct? If so, this app would be amazingly handy, I'm constantly thinking of things I'd love to put on queue while I'm at work, so its ready for when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by oc80z View Post
    outstanding.

lol at that licence plate oc80..

my never ending addiction :\

sorry for the off topic, i cant wait till this app comes out. This is truly the only other app ive seen that im excited about, the first app was My Tether, and now that i got that, i need this when its out!
    woot
  11.    #31  
    update posted in first thread...version 0.1.0 out
    how the heck to i expand that source?

winrar cant do it
    Any way to link a .torrent file to an app? Then we could use ANY torrent site we wanted.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Updated thread title to: PreTorrent v0.1.0 (7/27)

- Craig
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I would be concerned for my pre if it was constantly DLing large files such as torrents.

Awesome idea, however the pre simply wasn't meant to do this, i would be afraid of burning out the processor or something else inside the phone.
    Cant wait!
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by roor View Post
    I would be concerned for my pre if it was constantly DLing large files such as torrents.

Awesome idea, however the pre simply wasn't meant to do this, i would be afraid of burning out the processor or something else inside the phone.
    Well, to ease ur mind. I've been downloading torrents for months on my Touch Pro just fine with WMTorrent. The both are on the same network, and the Pre isn't using Windows Mobile, so I don't see any problem with that. None at all. The Pre seems to manage data connections better in regards to battery life while connected to a charger and would get very hot compared to the Pre. So, hardware wise I think we're fine.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I must say this appears to be the best app idea yet. I'm sure many people will d/l this app when it is finished (at least to the point where no modification is required by the end user). Really am looking forward for the future of this application.

Personally, I agree with others here that private torrent sites should be included, especially Demonoid (I sure wish I were a member...need to get on that). The Pirate Bay (though they don't host the torrent) would be another good site to implement, as thousands of people use their service. However, such use would need to include a way to have all non-trusted/non-vip torrents filtered out.

Best of luck to you and your app.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    This may be a little far reaching, but if you added .nzb support with the ability to inject into the sabnzb+ web interface, I would love you forever.

For those not in the know, .nzb is to usenet as .torrent is to torrents. If you've never used usenet, you should try it. You download as fast as your connection will allow, and the **AA can't eavesdrop on you.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Greatest idea since the tethering app, looking foreword to it. Definitely not a 'download gigs of movies while i'm out and about' type of thing, but I can think of ways to put this to 'good' use... :-)
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast